by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, NeoDumont), 761 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Leaving 3DGS : #418931
03/03/13 19:10
03/03/13 19:10
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

It's like when you find some vendor that is shipping always same stuff and price and you can find better quality elsewhere.

It happened to me these days with food, in some place there were always same people, the food seems to be conservated and dated from one or two days.
Somewhere near it it was same food style, but with fresh garniture, not one or two days refrigirated one, for same price.
I just thaught , what going to the same when i have better for same price?

Well 3DGS is putting lot of time for some features (terrain editor, vegetation seems to never come after years of annoucement.
WED is announced, mobile android also. I bet in the end of the year if things go right; i'll do some check when that will arrive to see how it works and if workflow is new ?

Actually when the goal is making a game, not programming shaders or tools, i think 3DGS is not the best choice.Specially if you are not programmer.

I already go deep with Lite C and all necessary initializations, and array initializations made me fell like coming back to old langage and Pure C memory allocation.
So i've lost so much time in some problems.
Why not using C#or lot more simple Javascript ? why C style language ?

I spend less and less time with 3DGS, more and more time with other indie engines providing amazing and fast workflow.
For example :
I just can put the scene, put and change models and shaders quickly in some clicks, do some tests, change simple code and re test the game quickly.

Yes 3DGS is very outdated in that area, having to use MED is just another more step that dont' make workflow as direct as some other engines.

I just can say i progress lot more now , i have lot more fun with other 3D solutions than with 3DGS.
YEs fun and pleasure are important when you make a game.
3DGS is very frustrating in some ways.

That's only my point of view, but dealing with Unity and others indie engines workflow, i'm leaving 3DGS more and more and im' using more and more other 3D engines for their workflow.

I don't have the felling of loosing something like in some past months, i catched with 3DGS from A6 commercial, A7 comm, A8 comm, i odn't think i will stay with it or be motivated enought for some A9 or it should be as good as others.

But i think i have enought and just can't loose my time with outdated and complicated stuff could it be MED, shaders etc ...
Why this is not a simple shader list and you choose it and bitmaps in a simple panel like other engines do ? directly in the editor ?

So that is the point, i was somewhat very attached to 3DGS, not fan , and i just find i loose too much time with it in terms of game creation.

And i put more and more time in two other indie engines, i just love their fast easy workflow, and i fidn it too painfull to use MED and WED, it's a bad experience i don't want anymore as i have a better one with some others engines.

I'm really leaving game creation with 3DGS, we are in 2013, why using old A6 stuff and workflow ?

There are some great and fine people here doing great with it and having a great game in the makings (even if it seems to take years wink ) like SuperKu,RealSpwan,JustSid,MasterQ32, 3Run,Sivan,HeelX,Error014 and others i won't list here laugh
We've seen supercan game also to remember great tools and game can be done, but it's not for all people, specially non programmers will never go so far.

And 3DGS games are just so few in number and that are really sold, it just shows to some of us, this is not the best accessible 3D engine for creation specially 3D artists that don't program a lot.

I just wishes best luck to theses fine people i liked a lot throught years, and others that have pleasure using 3DGS and achieve really good things.

For some it's hobby, others it's pleasure, and some others like me non super programmer, the goal is to make a real game and publish it.

Yes good luck, best success for all people around here (perhaps wwe'll meet in another 3D places LOL wink , it would be a pleasure).

I made hungry some people about non stop talking about others solutions , but hey it was to awake 3DGS, and it seems it begins to awake laugh ? (WED, android ?)
I don't think critics are always bad, they can make you grow up or awake sometimes.
Indeed i should had perhasp posted lot less, and create lot more, this is what i try to do now, less forums even if that was a great pleasure here, and lot more creation and try to reach to publish a game.
Caus i never published or made a complete game, so less forum , more work now.

It's like leaving some family , after lot of exhange,discuss, even fame wars LOL, it was a great pleasure and lot of great people that will miss to me.

At least lot of people will say :
YEAH RATCHET IS LEAVING , COOL laugh
ahah yes, guys, you are a great community, even if some really don't like me LOL laugh

But i will come to forums from time to time and look up here from time to time to see if something great is happening.

Last edited by ratchet; 03/03/13 20:05.
Re: Leaving 3DGS : [Re: ratchet] #418934
03/03/13 19:23
03/03/13 19:23
Germany
rayp Offline

X
rayp  Offline

X

Germany
So much people talking about the bad workflow of 3dgs in the last days. But Projects-folder is a desert...mhm.

But a bit more ready-to-use stuff like awesome shaders wouldn't hurt indeed. ^^
edit: Ure right, if i start an just created script in WED and look around...looks like half life and u have to invest a lot of time to get an "good" look. For shader noobs like me, the hell.
edit end

And WED really is a pain in the ass...most time. I love the simple and fast style of 3dgs, but iam no designer. I can understand some of your points. But for me Unity is the pure evil. grin

anyway i wish u good luck.
mfg

Last edited by rayp; 03/03/13 19:26.

Acknex umgibt uns...zwischen Dir, mir, dem Stein dort...
"Hey Griswold ... where u gonna put a tree that big ?"
1998 i married my loved wife ... Sheeva from Mortal Kombat, not Evil-Lyn as might have been expected
rayp.flags |= UNTOUCHABLE;
Re: Leaving 3DGS : [Re: rayp] #418935
03/03/13 19:46
03/03/13 19:46
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

THanks Rayp laugh

And WED really is a pain in the ass...most time. I love the simple and fast style of 3dgs, but iam no designer. I can understand some of your points. But for me Unity is the pure evil
Ahahha, the day you'll put lot more time in creating levels and characters , and just code the gameplay to publish a game, i think you will change your opinion, could it be Unity, Esenthel 2, LE3, Shiva 2, Ogre 3D.

Good luck to you and your projects laugh

Last edited by ratchet; 03/03/13 20:13.
Re: Leaving 3DGS : [Re: ratchet] #418940
03/03/13 20:06
03/03/13 20:06
Spain
painkiller Offline
Serious User
painkiller  Offline
Serious User

Spain
Well, I never like to see people leaving, but if you have made that decision, I wish you the best luck with your new projects on another engine laugh

3D Gamestudio A8 Pro
AMD FX 8350 4.00 Ghz
16GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB
Re: Leaving 3DGS : [Re: painkiller] #418945
03/03/13 20:18
03/03/13 20:18
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

Thanks Painkiller laugh
But like some other people , when programming is not our main concern, 3DGS is not the tool and more 3D artists like me loose too much time with actual workflow.

I hope to play some game demo form you one day laugh

I'll still will keep an eye on 3DGS and see if something awesome would make me come back.

Re: Leaving 3DGS : [Re: ratchet] #418947
03/03/13 20:55
03/03/13 20:55
Carlos3DGS Offline
User
Carlos3DGS  Offline
User

Goodbye ratchet, thanks for the help you have given me in the past. Best of luck wherever you go!
If you create some project showcase thread in the forum of your new tools it would be great to hear from you here and mabe even get a link to take a peek at what you are working on. (and hey, mabe A9 can bring you back, who knows)

"The more you know, the more you realize how little you know..."

I <3 HORUS
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=401929&page=1
Re: Leaving 3DGS : [Re: Carlos3DGS] #418949
03/03/13 21:00
03/03/13 21:00
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
ratchet@ good luck dude. maybe we'll see you back some day.

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: Leaving 3DGS : [Re: ratchet] #418950
03/03/13 21:02
03/03/13 21:02
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
good luck Ratchet, your decision can be understood. Unity is a good choice for a couple of game genres, especially when you can collect nearly all the scripts you need for a relatively simple game, and has enough knowledge in 3d modelling and level design. and you can buy plugins when you cannot do something by yourself. but working with Unity Free can lead very fast to the conclusion of you need the Pro version to make pro lookin games... imo 3gds is suitable for making good games by hobbyist or indie developers, but yes, you have to do more programming, and to get some knowledge in all areas of game making, which means more time...
if the new WED will be really different of the existing concept, maybe it will be a good reason to return.

Last edited by sivan; 03/03/13 21:04.

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Leaving 3DGS : [Re: sivan] #418953
03/03/13 21:16
03/03/13 21:16
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

Thanks Sivan.

Who said it was Unity laugh ?
Yes i'm learning some C# tutorials, i can avoid Pro with clever level design and graphic orientation (and there is some free shadow plugin for free version).
I use it for some personnal retro PC game and with team projects but not as programmer indeed, just to make some level design and terrain sculpt and test 3D models i make (so no need for Pro in that case).
And i use another promising indie one.
Incoming Shiva 2 is also a promising one, seeing the low price, and all platforms supported it would just be awesome also, we'll see when it will be available.
I think 3DGS to stay programmers way(Lit C is derivated from C, not so easy, initialisatiosn are a pain aslo), i don't think it will go as far as Shiva 2 or Unity in terms of mobile or features ?

Well if 3DGS make some 180 turn with new language or C# full support, totally new workflow and editor, and very low price, yes perhaps some of us will come back.

Last edited by ratchet; 03/03/13 21:30.
Re: Leaving 3DGS : [Re: ratchet] #418976
03/03/13 23:55
03/03/13 23:55
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
It's always sad to see people leaving, and your departure will surely make the forums seem even less lively than it already does, but I can see why you've come to this decision.

All the best to you - and if you create a nice game, let us know via Morbius-thread, will you? laugh

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de