by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, degenerate_762), 1,309 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Atrium Demo #421533
04/19/13 00:05
04/19/13 00:05
3 Images
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
Atrium Demo

Hey guys,
Alex Pölloth (Kartoffel) and I present the Atrium Demo for Gamestudio A8.

It features the Sponza Atrium scene by Frank Meinl (Crytek), which was reworked and enhanced in Cinema4D and exported to Gamestudio A8 by me; the scene was arranged in WED and comes as WMP file. I also created some textures anew and remastered some other ones; they are all saved as DDS files. Two skycubes from Emil Persson (Humus) were added, too. All models were split at their hard edges in order to have proper vertex normals. The demo features a day setting with directional sunlight and a night setting with a slight directional moonlight, a handful of colored pointlights and a colored spotlight.

The key feature of this demo is not only the Atrium scene itself (it is rather static, though), but the included "fxObj" object shader, which was initially written by Kartoffel and further extended and modified by me. The shader provides per-pixel lighting and shading and supports up to eight directional-, point and spotlights. It supports normalmapping with specular map and detail normalmapping. The shader uses the engine's sun color, the level ambient and fog.

The shader is procedural and can be customized for each entity with flags. You can seperately specify if a model has a normal map, a spec map and a detail map or not; if the model should be rendered doublesided (e.g. vegetation); and what kind of surface it has, e.g. if it is a solid surface (e.g. walls) or overlay surfaces (e.g. foliage, plants; activates the OVERLAY flag) or cutout objects (e.g. chain textures), or, if it is a static surface (deactivates the DYNAMIC flag). The order of skins is always 1) diffuse, 2) normal map, 3) spec map and 4) detail normalmap. If you render a distant object, you can even specify that an entity has a normal map, but is rendered without normal mapping. If you don't select any flags, the entity is "just" rendered with per-pixel default lighting - which looks even better than the standard engine lighting!

Examples:
Code:
action stoneWall ()
{
	// static, solid object with normalmapping, specular map and detail normal mapping
	fx_obj(my, FX_OBJ_STATIC | FX_OBJ_SOLID   | FX_OBJ_NM | FX_OBJ_SPEC | FX_OBJ_DETAIL);
}

action vegetation ()
{
	// overlay object with normalmapping, specular map and double sided rendering
	fx_obj(my, FX_OBJ_OVERLAY | FX_OBJ_NM | FX_OBJ_SPEC | FX_OBJ_DOUBLE);
}

action lattice ()
{
	// cutout object with regular (per-pixel) shading
	fx_obj(my, FX_OBJ_CUTOUT);
}

Plus, the demo comes with a sky cube module + shader ("fxSkycube"), that allows you to create skycubes which can be rotated, found by name, displaced and stretched towards the horizon; and other neat stuff.

For more images, watch the following slideshow on flickr or download the demo and its sources from here:

Atrium Demo v0.01 2013-04-18 (~40 MB)
http://www.christian-behrenberg.de/files/dev/demos/atriumdemo-0.01-2013-04-19.zip

It was tested with A8.40.3 and we hope that this is useful for anyone.

What's next?

Well, the project was driven by the need to have a cool multipurpose per-pixel shader that can catch up with commercial games. It looks quiet good, we are pleased with the results. But there is still so much to do and to support (e.g. lightmaps, AO, emissive textures, cubic environment reflections... and so on). Maybe we can pull other demos or enhance this one, I don't know. Though, I have the strong belief that the procedural flag-based approach is a good and convenient one, although I imagine that the interface might change if new features come into play... we'll see.
13 Comments
Re: Atrium Demo [Re: sivan] #421574
04/20/13 12:00
04/20/13 12:00
Germany
F
fogman Offline
Expert
fogman  Offline
Expert
F

Germany
Great work! I think with AO and static lightmapping it will look even better. Maybe Rondidon could make a short flythough video to spread the word.

no science involved
Re: Atrium Demo [Re: fogman] #421577
04/20/13 12:46
04/20/13 12:46
Germany
rayp Offline

X
rayp  Offline

X

Germany
Great work guys ! downloading right now.

Acknex umgibt uns...zwischen Dir, mir, dem Stein dort...
"Hey Griswold ... where u gonna put a tree that big ?"
1998 i married my loved wife ... Sheeva from Mortal Kombat, not Evil-Lyn as might have been expected
rayp.flags |= UNTOUCHABLE;
Re: Atrium Demo [Re: rayp] #421579
04/20/13 13:35
04/20/13 13:35
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Well that makes sense, but jcl really should use this level to showcase the new WED on the then promised new homepage design.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Atrium Demo [Re: fogman] #421675
04/22/13 20:02
04/22/13 20:02
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline OP
Senior Expert
H

Originally Posted By: lemming
How many hours did you work on it?
I don't know, because the work was irregularily scattered over 3 months on my end, but it was certainly 50+ hours. I can't speak for Kartoffel.

Originally Posted By: sivan
if you decide to work further on it, shadow support would be nice, but maybe it is not too useful as the building is quite closed.
It is useful, because we have 1) the sunlight, which throws a bright rectangular patch of light "down" the scene, 2) a spotlight which would cast the lionhead silhoette against the wall and 3) several colored pointlights. Though, I think it is more important to add a Z-prepass to speed up the light calculations (in the night setting, the performance is dropping). For shadowmapping itself, I would like to try something I have seen in / read about the Toy Story 3 game. It combines regular shadow mapping with some nifty tricks (I don't really like PSSM).

Originally Posted By: fogman
I think with AO and static lightmapping it will look even better
Sure, but where do you store the lightmap? The demo is divided into single objects and everything is model based, so, the only option is to generate static shadows from models in WED; but this feature isn't released yet AFAIK (although the beta says it is "100%" done). Or you import the meshes as static meshes, but I tried it in the past and it breaks WED's neck. You can do it of course in another application, like Maya, Cinema 4D or 3DS Max, but then you would have to store the lightmap in a surrogate model when you want to keep the current shader - and the lightmap would be processed with the rendered image in a PP step. Though, I am not 100% sure how this could work together with the dynamic lighting, since light is additive, not multiplicative.

Originally Posted By: fogman
flythough
I could add that as demo option, I think.

Last edited by HeelX; 04/22/13 20:07.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de