by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Quad), 551 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
So long, and thanks for all the fish #421837
04/26/13 00:56
04/26/13 00:56
Canada
WretchedSid Offline OP
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline OP
Expert

Canada
It's time for me to pack my things as well and venture into new fields. Actually, I already wandered off a long time ago, but came back from time to time to see what's new here. This whole "once you are here, you will never leave" thing, you know?

Truth be told, this forum became one big, huge circlejerk lately, with Unity being the toast everyone is aiming for. The very few that are still working with gamestudio, rather than circlejerking over its memory, are all beginners, and I'm simply tired of seeing the same false knowledge being spread over and over again, together with the same questions asked over and over again. It's the same old song, sang for years now. I realize that sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at it, but I just wish that this community was more professional and more open to the outside world, instead of denying the fact that there is an incredible ecosystem just beyond the walls of this forum. Maybe it's because this is just a hobby for the most here, or because most of the competent people have already left, I don't know.

Not going to lie, I had a blast with gamestudio, lots of great memories are associated with it, and I made my first baby steps with it. But I have walked too far away from it by now, in way too many ways, and it's time to let go. I will miss some of you, I regret not knowing a few if you enough to miss them, and some of you I simply won't miss. I think you can all figure out for yourself which category you belong to.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: WretchedSid] #421838
04/26/13 00:59
04/26/13 00:59
Germany / Essen
Uhrwerk Offline
Expert
Uhrwerk  Offline
Expert

Germany / Essen
cry

Always learn from history, to be sure you make the same mistakes again...
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: Uhrwerk] #421839
04/26/13 01:44
04/26/13 01:44
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Siddy pls

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: Superku] #421842
04/26/13 06:43
04/26/13 06:43
Karlsruhe
PadMalcom Offline
Serious User
PadMalcom  Offline
Serious User

Karlsruhe
Didn't you write a post like this some weeks ago? laugh As long as you stay in my ICQ list I'm not mad at you! laugh

Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: PadMalcom] #421851
04/26/13 10:57
04/26/13 10:57
Ä°stanbul, Turkey
Quad Online
Senior Expert
Quad  Online
Senior Expert

Ä°stanbul, Turkey
noooooo....

Last edited by Quad; 04/26/13 10:58.

Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: Quad] #421885
04/27/13 07:50
04/27/13 07:50
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

Quote:
It's time for me to pack my things as well and venture into new fields.
We'll see what really happens smile

Quote:
truth be told, this forum became one big, huge circlejerk lately, with Unity being the toast everyone is aiming for. The very few that are still working with gamestudio, rather than circlejerking over its memory, are all beginners
I think this is kinda offensive and you are pigeonholing people in a bad way. Even if it is true that people tend to try out other technologies, chose to just hang around here, revive their memories or hardworking on things - they are as free to do so as you are. Also, as you met some people from here in real life already, and I can say that you were nice to them and they were nice to you, you should overthink some of your words, too.

Quote:
and I'm simply tired of seeing the same false knowledge being spread over and over again, together with the same questions asked over and over again. It's the same old song, sang for years now
Then you should really leave instead of complaining, because all beginners need as many help as they can get. If you hate that not everyone is instantly pro-level after writing their very first "hello world", you either say nothing out of respect or there is simply something wrong with you. Yes, it is tiresome to ground people over and over again that want to make the next MMORPG or to explain the usage of functions and wait(1), but one man can educate lots of people through educated, well written responses - and I am sure that you took in your lifetime benefit from that, too.

Quote:
I just wish that this community was more professional and more open to the outside world, instead of denying the fact that there is an incredible ecosystem just beyond the walls of this forum. Maybe it's because this is just a hobby for the most here, or because most of the competent people have already left, I don't know.
The users here are ranging approx. 12-80yrs with different backgrounds, time consuming reallife jobs (maybe non-IT related), they live in different countries (with problems for their people unknown to us), maybe they have childrens, have one or more girlfriends / wifes, like to do sports and are enjoying Gamestudio in the free time. I am 100% sure that you can tell this about all the people who use any other technology out there. There is no "professional game developers only" sticker on any forum. From 100 people in such a forum, I guess only a few are working seriously on a complete game or such, have a strong IT education and make money with that. Please realize that life is more than game development and not everyone can afford 24hrs a day for that. This has also nothing to do with being "competent" or so, because that can only match up with your personal definition and I have a strong feeling that your head is in the clouds about that. Sorry.

Last edited by HeelX; 04/27/13 07:55.
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: HeelX] #421893
04/27/13 11:18
04/27/13 11:18
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
@HeelX: +1
@Sid:
Please don't leave use, your posts are always a joy to read! And if you want really want to go, think about coming back some times and say "hi" or "fuck you" grin

Visit my site: www.masterq32.de
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: MasterQ32] #421902
04/27/13 16:07
04/27/13 16:07
Germany
F
fogman Offline
Expert
fogman  Offline
Expert
F

Germany
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5YnQcppCQc

Yeah, don´t take anything / anyone too serious, especially not yourself. laugh

no science involved
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: HeelX] #421904
04/27/13 17:30
04/27/13 17:30
Canada
WretchedSid Offline OP
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline OP
Expert

Canada
Thanks for completely ignoring what I said and trying to make it seem like this is some kind of personal grudge or crusade @heelx.

I never said that beginners are bad, or that I'm better than everyone else, I said that I wish that this forum was MORE professional, not that this was a forum of professionals. It's not though, and it doesn't offer me anything new that makes it worth to come back. There is no discussion whatsoever going on about anything, and while I'm certainly just a beginner at best, the questions that are asked here don't provide me with anything. Of course I could just become a missionary and answer every single question, but as you said it yourself, some of us have girlfriends and families and see this just as a hobby.

I want to learn and see new things, and this forum is simply not the place to be for this. That's not meant as offense for the users here, because being a beginner is certainly nothing bad.

Originally Posted By: HeelX
Even if it is true that people tend to try out other technologies, chose to just hang around here, revive their memories or hardworking on things - they are as free to do so as you are

Yes, so what? The point is that no discussion happens. I wish I could learn from the people that toyed around with other technology but came back because the forum sucked them in. I can't, because there is no fruitful discussion happening. The simple solution is that I go somewhere where these discussions happen and where I can learn new things. Go and sue me for having my heads in the clouds.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: WretchedSid] #421942
04/28/13 19:17
04/28/13 19:17
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

Hm, I re-read your and my posts and I am convinced that I didn't ignored your words but you might be right that I understood them wrong. I think we just have different opinions and your tone and choice of words triggered something inside me that made me answer like that.

Quote:
I said that I wish that this forum was MORE professional (...) and it doesn't offer me anything new that makes it worth to come back.

I still wonder why this is the reason for you to "officially" leave this place and write such a big good-bye post (for which I still don't know why people do that).

To sum it up, you want from us a more professional attitude, that we do our work with excellence, that we behave modest, somehow conservative, that we work with confidence, stay on schedule, that we try to be leaders in our profession, that we stay current with changes in the industry, share the information we have learned, that we take risks and agree to take on difficult tasks, and, last but not least communicate in a professional manner?

The reality is, that not everyone has such high ethical standards. Especially not in the games industry for various reasons and I think that this forum and the people here are not your target audience. Truth is, that I heard that other places in the internet - like the Unity forum, to come back at this particular point of your opening post - are very professional ... and plain boring.

Quote:
and it doesn't offer me anything new that makes it worth to come back. There is no discussion whatsoever going on about anything, and while I'm certainly just a beginner at best, the questions that are asked here don't provide me with anything. (...) I want to learn and see new things, and this forum is simply not the place to be for this. That's not meant as offense for the users here, because being a beginner is certainly nothing bad.

Hm, well, then grab a book, go to university, attend gamedev related courses, try to learn a new engine - the possibilities are endless, but I guess I don't tell you new things. I for example enjoy this place a lot because I love working with Gamestudio and I see this place as a virtual Acknex-campfire in which we can talk and show projects and help each other. I don't think that it is worthwhile to write articles how to write a shader or how to design a spaceship in Cinema 4D or how you can achieve a great game design in first person shooters, --- because there are other places for that. When you come back here, it is very satisfactory to share these findings and explain how to transfer that to Gamestudio, that is worthwhile in my oppinion.

Quote:
The point is that no discussion happens. I wish I could learn from the people that toyed around with other technology but came back because the forum sucked them in. I can't, because there is no fruitful discussion happening. The simple solution is that I go somewhere where these discussions happen and where I can learn new things

What do you want to discuss that isn't new? Just throw in some things and we can start. --- About the technology switch... well.. maybe there is no fruitful discussion because if you decide to switch, well.. switch. If you come back and tell us it sucked, welcome back. If you are interested how it went, ask. Fogman and Firo for example are trying out Unity at the moment and I don't know how they do their stuff but I am happy for them if they can do something with it - but specifically, for me it isn't interesting how you do a game with Unity because I decided that I will stay with Gamestudio for the next few years for various reasons. They COULD write a post how it went/it is going, but they prefer not to write it. You could ask for it, but it is not plain wrong that it isn't happening.

Sid, I have a certain feeling for what you are asking for and what you don't like about this place or certain people, it was not against your opinion in general. The best way to make this place more professional or whatever you think it might be, if that is possible, is to boost your professionalism by yourself, stay here and have a positive effect on the people here instead of ranting about it, -- because that is not constructive. And, ultimately, not professional wink

Last edited by HeelX; 04/28/13 19:20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de