by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (VoroneTZ), 1,244 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
Re: Unity growing : [Re: MasterQ32] #422051
05/01/13 00:35
05/01/13 00:35
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Originally Posted By: MasterQ32
The thing is that gamestudio has MED, Unity has not (afaik)

My dad has athlete's foot and I dont. Awesome, isn't it?

Re: Unity growing : [Re: FBL] #422052
05/01/13 00:43
05/01/13 00:43
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Yeah it is laugh
But i (in a programmers point of view) don't want to learn into blender or 3ds max. Most times i need a model which is a half sphere or some kind of splitted up plane. How do you do this in Unity with about 2 Minutes of work?
I have such primitves faster modeled than 3dsMax takes to start.
So MED has definitly its use although not for the design/visual part of you game.

Visit my site: www.masterq32.de
Re: Unity growing : [Re: Superku] #422053
05/01/13 01:01
05/01/13 01:01
USA
RealSerious3D Offline
RealSerious3D  Offline

USA
Quote:
MED is perfectly fine to use for non-organic or simple stuff, not for humans or animals though.

No. Not really. Not in my opinion. Sure, you can indeed create with it. But it is not 'perfectly fine'. Not when there are free alternatives out there (and, no, not just Blender).

Re: Unity growing : [Re: RealSerious3D] #422054
05/01/13 01:05
05/01/13 01:05
USA
RealSerious3D Offline
RealSerious3D  Offline

USA
Quote:
But i (in a programmers point of view) don't want to learn into blender or 3ds max. Most times i need a model which is a half sphere or some kind of splitted up plane.

Blender and 3ds max are not the only options. Here's a very feature rich (and free for now) alternative for modeling called NVIL:

http://digitalfossils.com/

Of course, Wings3D is still out there. I think Daz3D is still offering Hexagon for free. And there are more. And, frankly, they are easier to learn to use, more advanced.

Last edited by RealSerious3D; 05/01/13 01:06.
Re: Unity growing : [Re: RealSerious3D] #422055
05/01/13 02:16
05/01/13 02:16
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Yes, it is (!) perfectly fine for what it is meant to be and this is no matter of opinion but probably a concept you did not understand yet.
3D Gamestudio is a game development suite, not an engine alone, primarily aimed at beginners or hobbyists which gives you all the necessary tools (except a painting program) to create your own (first) games. You don't have to spend weeks to learn something as complex as Blender or get another free or paid tool from some other place but instead you can get the hang of MED in half a day. Many people probably don't even want to learn or get into such advanced tools, and no one forces the advanced or interested users to design and animate in MED.
Thus it is just plain stupid when forum users ask for the abandonment of MED, and I've always hated it when they did, it's such a narrow-minded and selfish attitude...

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Unity growing : [Re: Superku] #422065
05/01/13 09:06
05/01/13 09:06
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
imo 3dgs is a nice beginner/hobbyist package, you get everything you need to get started in a simple form, and features probably the easiest scripting language. but it's not so easy to simply achieve something more advanced and really cool looking. the editors are definitely outdated, I hope we can see soon some screens of the new WED, currently I don't know its concept, only that it focuses on 'ease of use', so we have a great chance of missing advanced features...
unity requires a bit more knowledge to use effectively, and requires more investment which is too high for a hobbyist, but can be payed by real game developer studios.
for RPG, RTS, or FPS I would rather choose Esenthel or UDK than Unity, they are more budget friendly, and has ready code packages (their exploration requires time but it does worth it).

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Unity growing : [Re: sivan] #422067
05/01/13 09:38
05/01/13 09:38
USA
RealSerious3D Offline
RealSerious3D  Offline

USA
Superku, MED is a terrible piece of programming and the weakest part of GameStudio. This is not just a matter of one person's opinion. MED is based on ancient technology and has hardly changed since the days of it's predecessor, a Quake modeling tool (certainly you remember Quake and when that was originally released, right?).

And, yes, GameStudio is a development suite but, as you pointed out, it is missing a paint program. It is also missing tools to create sounds and music. It is missing tools to create video. So, really, apart from coding, it is missing any tool you would need in the creation of a game except for creating 3D geometry. And both provided tools (both MED and WED) are outdated tools that make it difficult to create anything more than the basics.

Other engines are missing various things, but also have various other tools that GameStudio may be lacking.

Re: Unity growing : [Re: RealSerious3D] #422091
05/02/13 05:39
05/02/13 05:39
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
RealSerious3D@ thats the worst bullshit I've heard since ratchet left us grin I can't stop laughing about the shit you've said about video/audio and paint tools, which are missing (?) in GameStudio too! I'll leave everything you've said uncommented, but just one question... Is there a complete game engine out there, which has (oh my.. ) video/audio/painting (ROFL) editors, plus easy-to-use and understand but yet powerful language, script editor, world editor, model editor and all for 100 bucks? Tell me, and I'll buy one! And no, I don't want to hear a bullshit about that MED sucks and terrible. I'd rather say that your hands growing out of your ass instead, cause there are many users out there, who proved that MED (even if it's not aimed to, as it's more a conventional tool, and don't you dare to compare this with a fully stand-alone tools, which are created for modeling, animations and so on? Would you compare a bicycle with a BMW? it looks like you do.. ) can create perfect models for indie titles (not AAA, don't mess up!). Search for a lady member of this community, her name was Otter I guess, she created lots of characters with MED, and they all have perfect, commercial quality! All of them with vertex animations!

All in all, not meant to offend, but I just couldn't take this senseless argue any longer. MED and Acknex are powerful, but unfortunately they are going out of popularity.

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: Unity growing : [Re: 3run] #422098
05/02/13 07:04
05/02/13 07:04
Germany
F
fogman Offline
Expert
fogman  Offline
Expert
F

Germany
@3run: MED is far away from beeing powerful. Would you call MSpaint powerful? You can do awesome stuff with it, I think you know some of the videos. But I wouldnt call it powerful. MED is a nice tool for beginners or people who don´t need a full fledged modelling software.

I was about to refer to Otter as well. This said, I may give you a friendly advise:

RealSerious3D has a lot more experience then you, he´s one of the first time users of gamestudio and has done a lot of work for conitec. You should watch your language in general, but even more when you´re talking to a true veteran.

no science involved
Re: Unity growing : [Re: fogman] #422100
05/02/13 07:54
05/02/13 07:54
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
fogman@ thank you for advise, but I'm not here since yesterday as well, you know? And I'm agree with you, that everyone (not only me) should watch their language, and respect each other as well, not only 'true' veterans, all users should be respected around this forum! I'm not going to argue, who has more experience or not you know. I'm not going to complain who's dick is shorter or so, what for? It doesn't affect on my respect to anyone...

BUT I will not reject any of my words above, as I have my opinion (and there is no way for it to be more polite this time) about all of those stuff RealSerious3D just said. I still think that everything he said about video/audio/painting tools is bullshit that I've never heard before on this forum. As non one really asked for a video tool for game creation?? Especially for the price, that people pay for Acknex (even pro version.. whic is yeah, could be more cheaper as well.. professional audio tool, will cost you pretty more than commercial version of Acknex and without any build-in plugins or so, and will be way more costly with all stuff it).

About MED. It's not powerful if we compare it with a stand-alone modeling tools, sure (but there is no way for anyone to say that it's terrible, cause that will mean that you don't really understand it's main purpose!). But why do you need to compare it with those tools?? MED - is more a conversational tool, and it's even more than one! And if your hands aren't growing right from your ass and you have a bit of patience, you'll be able to get some awesome results with it! But still, it's not a powerful stand-alone modeling tool! And don't compare it with any others out there! It's like comparing inflatable doll with a girlfriend, pretty coarsely!

So please, I respect everything you've said to me, and I appreciate your friendly advice, but please don't talk to me, as I'm here for about two days! As I've done a lot myself too (not FOR myself). And as I've said in previous post, I didn't meant to offend anyone, I'm just sharing my thoughts and opinion, yes, maybe a bit too rough but thats the only way I could express my feeling about some one asking for a video/audio/painting tool for 100 bucks!

With friendly greetings

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de