by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (7th_zorro, Aku_Aku, 1 invisible), 579 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 33 34
The answer to life, the universe and unity3d #427261
08/05/13 22:41
08/05/13 22:41
Canada
WretchedSid Offline OP
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline OP
Expert

Canada
So, Gamestudio is dead and Unity3D sucks... The state of game engines that are powerful and easy to use is bleak, to say the least. But, not all hope is lost, so put your funeral suits away, and dress for rain.

Slin and I have been working on an 3d game engine for the past 8 months, and now the time has come to unveil our baby to the public. Say hello to Rayne. I'll spare you the marketing bullshit, here are the facts you need to know:

• Cross platform, Windows, Linux Mac, iOS and Android goodness
  • One license to rule them all. No pro version bullshit, no royalties.
  • Pay what you want
  • OpenGL 3.2 and OpenGL ES 2.0 based (geometry shaders, motherfuckers)
  • Tile based forward renderer
  • Support for (lots of!) dynamic lights
  • C++11 based, with AngelScript bindings
  • Sleek asset pipeline
  • GPU bone animations
  • Multithreaded as fuck

Want to know more? We wrote an introductory blog post, and we also have a website: rayne3d.com.

Here is how it looks like:

We either go big, or we go home.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: WretchedSid] #427262
08/05/13 22:51
08/05/13 22:51
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
It's so... beautiful!

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: Superku] #427267
08/06/13 01:44
08/06/13 01:44
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
Impressive and quite the suprise...I'm mindfull of another user who did similar but not sure how thats going....3DGamemaker or something like that.....

But...Have you heard of Skyline?

Another indie offering still in beta but stunning...as others were too in previous attempts...

All the best and hope to try it out one day....

Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: Nems] #427275
08/06/13 09:20
08/06/13 09:20
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
nice concept, great features, and a cool little homepage written in a lovely style grin
I hope Bullet 3 is really coming soon to get more power, and nobody will miss Nvidia PhysX from the engine...
Looking forward further news, screenshots, videos, demos, and marketing bullshit.
I will buy it.

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: Superku] #427289
08/06/13 12:32
08/06/13 12:32
Canada
WretchedSid Offline OP
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline OP
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: Superku
It's so... beautiful!

No, YOU are beautiful!

Originally Posted By: Nems
I'm mindfull of another user who did similar but not sure how thats going....3DGamemaker or something like that.....

Maybe Blendelf by Inestical? As far as I'm aware, the project is currently pretty much dead, I just checked the github page and the last commit was three years ago.

But yes, there certainly are other engines out there. Skyline, C4, Torque, Leadwerks, you name it. But we think there is space for at least one more engine, mostly because there is no silver bullet. And we don't claim to have the silver bullet either, but we have a spot that's currently void: A powerful and modern engine that lets you drop down to the bare metal if you need to.

The thing is, most engines are old by now, have lots of legacy code and not breaking backward compatibility is kind of a huge deal. We don't have that problem, we could start from scratch, take the newest technology that was available on all our target platforms, and kick some ass.

Originally Posted By: Nems
[...]Another indie offering still in beta but stunning...as others were too in previous attempts...

Oh, yes, the road of dead engine projects is long and filled with... well, dead engines. Saying that you want to make a good 3d game engine is kind of like saying you want to make the next WoW or Windows. It's an ambitious undertaking to say the least, but we think that we can pull this off. We are quite clear about what we want, and it's not a CryEngine or UDK killer, these engines play in a very, very different league and we are nowhere near that.

Originally Posted By: sivan
nice concept, great features, and a cool little homepage written in a lovely style grin

Awwww <3
Could you please tell the last part to Nils' girlfriend? She thinks the website is boring frown

I hope Bullet 3 is really coming soon to get more power, and nobody will miss Nvidia PhysX from the engine...

You can write your own plugin for PhysX, if you really want it. We have decided against it because bullet runs on all platforms out of the box.

Looking forward further news, screenshots, videos, demos, and marketing bullshit.

You know what? Here you go:

Also, we now have a showcase: http://rayne3d.com/showcase/ 30% less content, 95% more pictures and 5% more marketing.

And because we said that Rayne is easy to use and blah, blah, blah, here is the source code for the light part to prove exactly that:
Code:
// Create a dual phase LCG random number generator
RN::Random::DualPhaseLCG rng;
rng.Seed(0xdeadbeef);

// The root node that's going to rotate the whole oderal
RN::SceneNode *node = new RN::SceneNode();
node->SetAction([](RN::SceneNode *node, float delta) {
    node->Rotate(RN::Vector3(10.0f * delta, 0.0f, 0.0f));
});

// Create a particle emitter
RN::ParticleMaterial *material = new RN::ParticleMaterial();
material->AddTexture(RN::Texture::WithFile("textures/light.png"));

RN::ParticleEmitter *emitter = new RN::ParticleEmitter();
emitter->SetMaterial(material);
emitter->SetSpawnRate(0); // Don't spawn any particles

// Spawn some lights...
for(int i = 0; i < 300; i ++)
{
    RN::Light *light = new RN::Light();
    light->SetPosition(RN::Vector3(rng.RandomFloatRange(-35.0f, 35.0f), rng.RandomFloatRange(-10.0f, 20.0f), rng.RandomFloatRange(-20.0f, 20.0f)));
    light->SetRange(rng.RandomFloatRange(2.0f, 5.0f));
    light->SetColor(RN::Color(rng.RandomFloat(), rng.RandomFloat(), rng.RandomFloat()));

// Create a new particle
    RN::Particle *particle = emitter->SpawnParticle();
    particle->color = light->Color();
    particle->lifespan = 1000;

// Give the light an action to update the particles position every tick
    light->SetAction([particle](RN::SceneNode *light, float delta) {
        particle->lifespan = 1000; // This is kind of hackish to prevent the Particle from dying
        particle->position = light->WorldPosition();
    });

// Attach the light to the root node so that it inherits it rotation
    node->AttachChild(light);
}

The beauty is that Rayne will do all entity updates in parallel, I've recorded the scene on my MacBook Pro with 8 logical cores (4 physical), so Rayne will update 8 entities at a time, completely automatically for you. And, it also takes care of synchronizing the whole thing, so you don't have to think about synchronization.

Last edited by mk_1; 08/06/13 16:05. Reason: special occasion embedded video ;)

Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: WretchedSid] #427378
08/07/13 10:22
08/07/13 10:22
germany
gri Offline
Serious User
gri  Offline
Serious User

germany

you guys are crazy

"Make a great game or kill it early" (Bruce Shelley, Ensemble Studios)
Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: gri] #427388
08/07/13 11:58
08/07/13 11:58
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
nice video, I hope it can run smoothly on a recent pc. I guess it cannot on android laugh
the code seems to be easy enough to use, but you could think of something like in Esenthel engine, which utilizes C++ but features some macros or whatevers for more easy coding, if you want to gather less advanced programmers too as users. it's probably worhty to check what that guy is developing and how. he said 1-2 months ago that he would not start to develop a game engine now because of the high competition (he started it 10 years ago). but I'm sure you have checked a lot of game engines available, and made your plans already...
I think the editor will require more time to develop than the engine itself. and a little crowd of testers/users.

Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: gri] #427393
08/07/13 12:34
08/07/13 12:34
Canada
WretchedSid Offline OP
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline OP
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: gri
you guys are crazy

You bet we are! Crazy awesome, that is!

nice video, I hope it can run smoothly on a recent pc. I guess it cannot on android laugh

Yes, and yes. The video is lagging because the recording software killed my gpu pretty badly (and I didn't want to lower the resolution from 1920x1200). Android is... well, OpenGL ES 2.0 in most cases (I don't know if there is any OpenGL ES 3.0 capable device out there, since it's a really recent standard), and OpenGL ES 2.0 is rather limited in terms of what you can send and process on the shader. The GPUs are in most cases capable (heck, most PowerVR GPUs are DirectX 11 capable by now), but the functions we need to efficiently push the lighting data to the GPU just aren't there.

but you could think of something like in Esenthel engine, which utilizes C++ but features some macros or whatevers for more easy coding, if you want to gather less advanced programmers too as users.

I haven't used Esenthel yet, so please excuse my ignorance, but what kind of macros are we talking about?

Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: WretchedSid] #427394
08/07/13 12:50
08/07/13 12:50
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
no problem, it is not a famous engine, as I know from Poland. a few little things, here is the corresponding page: http://www.esenthel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Code_Editor

Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: sivan] #427411
08/07/13 17:59
08/07/13 17:59
de
lemming Offline
lemming  Offline

de
Awesome lights, multiplattform, automatic threading, C++. If this was here a year ago I propably wouldn't be on Acknex anymore.
Any chance in having LiteC Acknex compatible structs and functions? ^^

Btw, how are your levels build up? Like Acknex an own level compiler or do you just add models to compose it? I think you said something about an own format for models. Is this still the case?

Last edited by lemming; 08/07/13 17:59.
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 33 34

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de