by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 177 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Re: Game Idea Thread! [Re: sivan] #422949
05/21/13 10:32
05/21/13 10:32
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
well , i observe more than play , i like watching the key elements of what made certain games stand out and try to think how it would be implemented in in code and also i like to find what made me feel it sucked so as to see what rather not to do , the best thing about rts is i would say mostly it is possible for indie developers to create great rts games because most of the focus is on gameplay and not all on eye candy

Compulsive compiler
Re: Game Idea Thread! [Re: Wjbender] #422951
05/21/13 12:22
05/21/13 12:22
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
yes, nowadays I have been doing the same when playing, watching what happens and how own and enemy units react, it can be a great source of ideas, beside reading articles written by rts game developers, and comparing them to my solutions, what to modify and what to keep. (of course it decreases the gaming experience)
it can be 2-3 years for a little programmer team (2-3 (wo)men) to develop a great rts game ai, so what I know is that I can do this hobby for a long time laugh and beside game play programming I can learn the visual stuff too as a recreation. the main problem of the open source rts game 0.a.d. is that they did a lot of work on the graphics, but let the pathfinding and ai in a very unefficient basic level, thus after years it is still not really playable... I hope I can find a better development way.

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Game Idea Thread! [Re: sivan] #422968
05/21/13 17:00
05/21/13 17:00
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
i meant ambience not atmospere haha ..
yip there is a certain amount of balance that is key to funtionalty and something that stands out to me is balance of what is good and bad about a game , if you have something in your game that you think is really good ,someone will think it sucks and vice versa so as there are things in games that i think is to be avoided some people may think the opposit so there must be a sort of balance in features or gameplay so that people by their nature of being different would find something they like about that game , i guess thats part of having a diverse customer range

Compulsive compiler
Re: Game Idea Thread! [Re: Superku] #422979
05/21/13 21:00
05/21/13 21:00

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Hi I like to say something as to the OP idea of the thread. I know we are talking about game ideas and unique mechanisms. When this forum was flooded with flash newbies we would get every week the " Lets all team up and make a clone of -X popular- game." I posted once making fun of this group with a silly idea that I will restate here but Also include a area that I think is under served in gaming.

So in vain of the Scary Movie franchise I like to suggest the comedic parody games. There is always that popular game line that "you" may just not like. At the time the newbies were posting that game for me was the GTA set. So I suggest a parody making fun of the whole idea of GTA set in medieval time, call Grand Theft Horse GTH. But I was really thinking now that a cool game would be a combo parody were it is making fun of a different popular game in each level.

Ok long post for my 2-cents.

Re: Game Idea Thread! [Re: ] #422997
05/22/13 07:02
05/22/13 07:02
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
a balanced game play is a heavy thing I know, it requires a long testing period, and a lot of testers (who can mod/tweak the game simply by e.g. editing text files), and a good source of collecting further ideas. it is difficult for an indie developer to collect a large tester team, but this feature has another advantage, in connection with what you mentioned: the taste of each player cannot be satisfied, but if a game is easily moddable, it can increase popularity, as a modding community can emerge and grow, thus your game can be developed more easily taking into account their work.

---

grand theft horse grin crazy idea, I mean good! with some fight features like in mount&blade. and with buying selling stolen things. and finally make a group of raiders.

Re: Game Idea Thread! [Re: sivan] #424369
06/14/13 10:24
06/14/13 10:24
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
@Wjbender: I checked Age of Empires 3, and the funny thing in its pathfinder is that large units has only a 1x1 tile sized collision size, similarly e.g. to infantry. I was really surprised in such a quality game.

Re: Game Idea Thread! [Re: sivan] #425657
07/09/13 18:44
07/09/13 18:44
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
A game where you control KarBOOM-style cute cars (maybe with a Super Mario Galaxy graphics style), drive at high speed and can grind on rails and edges like in Skateboarding games. There can be ramps and halfpipes (thus tricks) as well, maybe even small wings/ boosters like in San Francisco Rush 2049 so you can rotate the car in the air.

The speed could be incredibly fast like in Extreme-G or F-Zero GX and have either 3dimensional twisted maps as in the latter game or be limited to two dimensions (except grinding) as in F-Zero for SNES.

The game could go for a Trackmania style gameplay where you cannot collide with your enemies and drive multiple laps but go from A and B again and again to get the best time (a surprisingly fun way to play), where the latter version is much easier to implement.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Game Idea Thread! [Re: Superku] #425697
07/10/13 09:31
07/10/13 09:31
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Quote:

The game could go for a Trackmania style gameplay where you cannot collide with your enemies
, don't you miss moments like these? (0:15 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0YpAkbI_W4)

Games likes Twisted Metal are nice I think. Should not be too much work if do a few unique cars (like 6 to choose from).

Maybe something like virtual cop or house of the dead gamestyle with some original weapons. A bit more work I quess, with all the mapping and scripting. Although an random gameplay mode could be added (randomized enemies, items, the different routes to take) to give it some replaybility and that it doesn't get old to fast for the gamemaker (than you have atleast one happy customer :P).

Or maybe some horror/puzzle game like The 7th Guest.

Quote:
A game that is centered around floors of a high building
, this sounds cool, reminds me a bit of this http://phoenix.ee/gallery/photos/Unreal%20Tournament/955436898-1.jpg. That was a map with 3 skycrapers where you could jump from one to another with low gravity. Very fun to play.

Last edited by Reconnoiter; 07/10/13 09:36.
Re: Game Idea Thread! [Re: Reconnoiter] #429981
09/21/13 14:47
09/21/13 14:47
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Guns vs Nuns.

A catholic nun from the 13th century is teleported into the trenches of World War I during a deadly assault. Upon seeing the horrors of modern war, the nun decides to bring the gift of forgiveness and kindness to the soldiers at the front. To achieve her goal, she has to use her special ability of slowing the time down within a small area; Platforming over the bullets frozen in time, she has to reach every soldier and pray with them to stop the killing on the western front and ultimately end one of the bloodiest wars in human history.
The soundtrack would be mainly hardcore japanese techno, though within the time freeze bubbles you would hear remixes of Mozarts Für Elise.

I'm not good at these frown
But you guys are, and it's a shame to see this thread die.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Game Idea Thread! [Re: WretchedSid] #429984
09/21/13 18:21
09/21/13 18:21
T
the_clown Offline
User
the_clown  Offline
User
T

Originally Posted By: JustSid
Guns vs Nuns.

A catholic nun from the 13th century is teleported into the trenches of World War I during a deadly assault. Upon seeing the horrors of modern war, the nun decides to bring the gift of forgiveness and kindness to the soldiers at the front. To achieve her goal, she has to use her special ability of slowing the time down within a small area; Platforming over the bullets frozen in time, she has to reach every soldier and pray with them to stop the killing on the western front and ultimately end one of the bloodiest wars in human history.
The soundtrack would be mainly hardcore japanese techno, though within the time freeze bubbles you would hear remixes of Mozarts Für Elise.

Besides the fact that both Beethoven as well as Mozart are now spinning in their graves, this sounds pretty fun actually :DD

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de