Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/19/24 18:45
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, kzhao, 7th_zorro), 714 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Re: The second Dragonrise Demo [Re: ShoreVietam] #43463
03/31/06 15:55
03/31/06 15:55
germany, dresden
ulf Offline
Serious User
ulf  Offline
Serious User

germany, dresden
hey shore,

first of all its amazing what you put together alone.

now my first impressions after 15 minutes.

- the controls and menu is not starter friendly it may be easy for someone playing chinese rpgs but not for the average gamer. i would advise you to make it much simpler! it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to equip the sword.

-the overall style is too milky, i dont know how to describe but i miss nice colors, it looks like everything is foggy and dark. but thats just my opinion, the world doesnt look friendly it gives me the feeling the world is evil and cold. but maybe thats what you intend!

-some of your bitmaps have black pixels at the borders this looks not good.

-are u using triplex mp3.dll ? i did that too and after the betatest i had lots of people complaining that the game quit with an error in mp3.dll and i dont think that was my fault. triplex didnt respond to my pm maybe he is busy but you should test this. this was the reason my game wasnt running on some computers, because after i switched to gamestudios functions with the additional ogg filter it worked for those people who had problems.

-the intro is too long and confusing with the hard cuts from the ship to the island. you should spread that out so the player remembers sometimes when he is already playing.

-i have some bugs with the screensize. the bottom of the screen is cut like widescreen whereas the top looks like fullscreen. at the bottom black border there are artefacts from strings.

well all in all thumbs up. you should recruit some additional artists. i like your style apart from that i think its not colorful. this could be a very, very good game if you keep on working and make it more appealing for the average gamer. good luck

Last edited by ulf; 03/31/06 15:56.
Re: The second Dragonrise Demo [Re: ulf] #43464
03/31/06 16:09
03/31/06 16:09
Europe
ShoreVietam Offline OP
Expert
ShoreVietam  Offline OP
Expert

Europe
Thanks for the detailed response ulf!

I really often asked the people who complained about the ring menu, how they'd improve it, sad but true I never got any resonses after I asked, maybe you have some advice? (nevertheless I'm still shocked that so few people know secret of mana theese times... )

Interesting, nobody said this about the colors before, but please forgive me, it is not easy to design a colored game if you're partially color blind...
Maybe there really was fog? It gets foggy when it'S about to start raining and so?

Do you remember, where you saw the black pixels?

Yes I do use tripple_x's mp3.dll, but until now there were no problems with it as far as I know.

The intro, for all who didn't realize it, is the _character creation_. What means that the decissions you make in the past have influce on the character _today_. With that I combined boring character creation with the chance to bring the character close to the player right from the beginning!

Maybe you can show a screen of your screen problems?
But I doubt I could fix something there because here it works and I hear that the first time..

I'm glad you give me such responses, I can collect what you said and try to improve it in the next demo as far as possible!

My project Schlacht um Kyoto - Das Samurai Browsergame! (sorry, german only)
Re: The second Dragonrise Demo [Re: ShoreVietam] #43465
03/31/06 16:22
03/31/06 16:22
germany, dresden
ulf Offline
Serious User
ulf  Offline
Serious User

germany, dresden
the black pixels where in a cast menu, the rose was what i remember. it didnt look good.

the screen problems may have to do with my monitor/gfx card/driver because i have problems with 3dgs apps in fullscreen.

i would make a simple drag and drop approach like in most of todays rpgs. take diablo for example and you know what i mean.
your menu style is outdated. it may be cool for consoles but a6 games dont run on consoles anyway.

with the color i mean the overall coloring, its moody but its a sad mood in my mind. the colors are just not colorful maybe that has to do with your blindnes, ask some other people about that. maybe its just my optionion. but you get a cool dark mood with that.

iam glad i could help you a little bit. greetings

Re: The second Dragonrise Demo [Re: ulf] #43466
03/31/06 16:43
03/31/06 16:43
Europe
ShoreVietam Offline OP
Expert
ShoreVietam  Offline OP
Expert

Europe
So that's the point with the menu, the people want simple 0-8-15 drag 'n drop menus!

I don't know if you can speak of outdated for a menu, Tomb Raider had such a menu, too (but I don't know how it was controlled I have to admit).

So if that's the point I have to tell you guys that this won't be changed, it belongs to the classical/ retro style of the game, as the name input does and as the ISO-view or the controls do.

This is the overall design pattern of Dragonrise.

I love thos old games, they were fun to play, much more as all the crap today, that's why I even stick to those design techniques, I'm sorry for all of you who have missed those times!

btw. I'll look for the rose when I got time!

Re: The second Dragonrise Demo [Re: ShoreVietam] #43467
03/31/06 16:53
03/31/06 16:53
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Oh great!

2nd demo now also runs on my PC.
I only took a look at the intro for now - i felt taken back to old console times.
I'll play more later.

Keyboad controls are cooool (like that - really) - but why WASD as default layout?
And I think the messages windows appear a bit... "heavy"... maybe some transparency could help.

Re: The second Dragonrise Demo [Re: FBL] #43468
03/31/06 17:47
03/31/06 17:47
germany, dresden
ulf Offline
Serious User
ulf  Offline
Serious User

germany, dresden
shore, its your decision about the menu but you asked i think toombraider was also released for playstation 1:1 so thats why it had this controls because it was meant for consoles too.
older games often couldnt make use of the mouse. most people simply didnt have one so those games only used keyboard.
well its just my opinion, i would like a more intuitive approach with the mouse a lot more.

Re: The second Dragonrise Demo [Re: ulf] #43469
03/31/06 19:14
03/31/06 19:14
B
beegee Offline
User
beegee  Offline
User
B

I think it's better that I write in German so I can write better what i mean.
The game texts are also in German, so it doesn't matter:

Also ich habe heute zwei andere klassische Rollenspiele gespielt eins davon in 2D (VampiresDawn2/2006) und das andere in 3D(TechnoMage/2001) . Und dabei fielen mir noch ein paar weitere Vorschläge ein.

Hauptmenü:
Erstens dein Spiel hat überhaupt kein Hauptmenü. Das typische an solchen klassischen Spielen ist doch das bei denen das Hauptmenu immer gleich aussieht. Also bei den zwei die ich gespielt habe. Und das sieht wie folgend aus:
- Titel des Spieles, also Logo
- Hintergrund: irgendein Bild, das zum Thema des Spieles passt; sollte kein Screenshot von dem Spiel sein
- Menüpunkte zum Auswählen sind folgende: Spielen, Spiel laden, Beenden

Intro:
Vor diesem Menü kommt wirklich nichts anderes davor. Nach dem Spielstart kann man noch den Schwierigkeitsgrad einstellen. Muss aber nicht. Danach kommt eine Aufforderung ob man das Intro ansehen oder überspringen will. Im Intro kommt ein kurze einleitende Szene, um was es in dem Spiel handelt. Dies wird aber erst als letztes ins Spiel eingebaut. Kann aber auch anders sein. In dem Intro soll dann folgendes vorkommen. Ein Beispiel: Vampires Dawn handelt um Vampire. Und in blutroter Schrift werden Fragen an den unwissenden Spieler gestellt: Ein heiliger Kreuzzug zur Vernichtung aller Vampire brachte Licht in die Nacht. War dass das Ende? War dass der Anfang? War das Böse besiegt? Wird es jemals enden ? Vampire. Was waren sie? Was sind sie? Und was werden sie? Jeder Satzteil wird einzeln kurz angezeigt. Somit weis man schon das gröbste, ohne irgendwelche lange Textpassagen gelesen zu haben. In dem 3D wurde ein kurzer Trailer gezeigt, was aber vollkommen unmöglich für Hobbyentwickler ist. Bei dir wäre das zum Beispiel ein kleines Intro über die fabelhaften und äußerst wenig bekannte Drachen.

Tutorial:
Danach befindet man sich zum Beispiel in einem Raum wieder in der vielleicht eine andere Person ist. Natürlich weiß man immer in solchen klassischen Varianten man muss raus kommen. Das hast du natürlich auch gewusst. Doch am Anfang solcher Spiele wird entweder im Spiel die Steuerung erklärt oder einfach kurz die Tastenbelegung angezeigt. Zum Beispiel man steht vor einer Tür,Schrank,Kiste und will sie öffnen. Oder man steht vor einer Person mit der man reden kann. Wie man die Karte öffnet, das Equipment-Menü aufmachen kann oder den Questlog anschauen kann.

Dialoge:
Die Dialoge werden folgend angezeigt: Unten im Bildschirm; immer nur einer; die Schriftzüge erscheinen viel schneller; ein Sound habe ich bis jetzt noch nie gehört; es wird meistens dazu ein Blendeffekt eingesetzt was bedeuten soll die Buchstaben erscheinen „langsam“. Im Dialog wird auf der linken Seite ein Bild von der sprechenden Person angezeigt; der Name der Person wird über dem Text mit einer anderen Farbe angezeigt;

Steuerung:
Eigentlich immer wird diese Steuerung bei solchen RPG’s benutzt:
Pfeiltasten zum Bewegen; X- und Y-Taste zum Drehen des Pan-Winkels des Players, Leertaste und Enter(!) zum Lesen eines Dialogs, beliebige Taste zur Aktion(Strg), M zur Minikarte und Q zum Questlog.

Minikarte/Questlog:
Diese beiden Features werden meistens auf ein Pergamentpapier angezeigt. Im Questlog steht genau drin was man tun soll (z.B. zu Onkel XY gehen). Danach schaut man auf der Karte nach und sieht rechts neben der Karte eine Legende auf der das Symbol des Ortes und daneben der Name angezeigt wird. In diesem Beispiel: Onkels XY Haus. Die Karte ist aber nicht zwingende notwendig, doch in solchen Spielen sehr nützlich. Man könnte auch späteren Spielverlauf nur zuvor entdeckte Stellen auf der Karte anzeigen. Das Questlog hakt Aufgaben ab, die man schon erledigt hat. Und nicht so umständlich wie du dies machst also mit solchen Einträgen.

Interface:
Das Menübild sieht folgend aus. Unten rechts im Bild ist eine kleine Lebensanzeige(rot) daneben die Manaanzeige(blau). Die Gegenstände welche man sieht werden in Nähe eigentlich nur in Point&Click-Adventures angezeigt, aber wenn du meinst in RPG’s soll es sowass auch geben. Na gut. Wo man sich befindet wird nur bei Wechsel einer Ortsfläche angezeigt. Also nie beim verlassen eines einzelnen Raumes.

So das wärs dann mal fürs erste. Später kommt noch ein kleiner anderer Teil, falls mir noch nicht alles dazu eingefallen ist.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
beegee

-------------------------------------
GenuineMotors.de

Fratch - Newer statistics panel for GameStudio
Re: The second Dragonrise Demo [Re: ulf] #43470
03/31/06 19:19
03/31/06 19:19
Europe
ShoreVietam Offline OP
Expert
ShoreVietam  Offline OP
Expert

Europe
I'm glad it works for you now Firoball!

Nice that someone likes the feeling of old console games...

Why WASD?
At laest because it is the most practical development setting.

Hey ulf, I always thought, that there are problems with the menu itself, that I should change things there. But that it is an overall design question didn't come into my mind (ok I don't know what the other think exacly because you're the only one who aswered yet about it!).

But it is good to know, no question!

However I won't change it to the standart menu because it wouldn't fit into the design pattern but nevertheless I'm open for ideas to improve the menu as it is intended.

Edit:

hui beegee wow danke das ist super!

Also ich habe auch sehr viele alte RPGs angeschaut um mir gewisse Elemente abzukupfern.
Und ich muss sagen, einige der von dir erwaehnten Dinge plante ich sogar.

Ich hatte mir auch bereits GEdanken ueber ein Intro mit Drachen getrennt vom Spiel selbst gedacht.

Warum es noch kein Hauptmenue gibt ist eigentlich recht simpel:
Es wuerde beim entwickeln unglaublich stoeren, das ist unter anderem ein Grund weswegen auch noch kein speichern implementiert ist (der aufmerksame Spieler wird bemerkt haben, dass dies im Gasthaus moeglich sein wird, eben wie in den Konsolenspielen).

Ansonsten werde ich mir die ganzen Punkte auf jeden Fall mal vormerken, da sind echt interessante Sachen dabei, die muss ich alle mal durchdenken und abwaegen (diese Eingabeerklaerung hatte ich auch irgendwann mal geplant gehabt) ob es sinn macht einzelne Dinge so umzusetzen, vielen dank!

Last edited by ShoreVietam; 03/31/06 19:31.

Re: The second Dragonrise Demo [Re: ShoreVietam] #43471
03/31/06 19:55
03/31/06 19:55
The Netherlands
E
Excessus Offline
Expert
Excessus  Offline
Expert
E

The Netherlands
I also found the controlls and UI unintuitive. I'm not used to these old-school games, but I understand your decision to stick with it. It might be a good idea to add some ingame hints, though.
For example:
-In the first dialog of Lise waking up, put a 'press space to continue' text in the lower left corner.
-When you first get to control your character put a 'Hint: use WASD keys to move your character.' in the same place.
-When entering your name, explain the controlls (I didn't know I had to use space here, so I got a little annoyed). I also found it to be slow in response; sometimes just tapping the space key doesn't add the letter, you have to actually keep it pressed. This also added to the confusion because I thought space was not the right key because nothing happened when I tapped it.
-Maybe, when encountering the first enemy, explain how to fight it.

Now, I know I could have known all this from reading the manual, and these problems are only minor (anyone who has used a pc before can figure it out), but it can still be anoying. If the player is constantly annoyed by minor things it won't be fun. Many players, including me, are too lazy to read manuals, and rather get straight to the action. I think that by improving these things, your game will feel much more polished.

Re: The second Dragonrise Demo [Re: Excessus] #43472
04/01/06 05:48
04/01/06 05:48
Europe
ShoreVietam Offline OP
Expert
ShoreVietam  Offline OP
Expert

Europe
I really like your ideas exessuss, they are easy to build in and could improve understanding it a lot, thanks.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de