by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 642 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Z12 trade [Re: ] #435168
01/03/14 16:43
01/03/14 16:43

L
liftoff
Unregistered
liftoff
Unregistered
L

Well in the game of trading, the market usually rewards you for the risk you are willing to take, as long as you are not exploiting an arbitrage position. I am ready to sit on a 60 to 80% drawdown it must come to it as long as the trades in the live session fall within statistical expectation. I believe the capital required is calculated as the maximum drawdown plus the maximum margin required in the test period.
Makes perfect sense to me to be honest. Its how much capital you will need to to hopefully weather the storm, but if its a hurricane then you can possible lose everything. That is why its usually a good idea to go in with atleast 1.5 times the capital required for a risk loving person like myself and maybe a 5 times capital required for a risk averse person like yourself.
But remember your returns are based on the risk you are willing to take.
wink

Re: Z12 trade [Re: Sundance] #435169
01/03/14 16:47
01/03/14 16:47

A
acidburn
Unregistered
acidburn
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Sundance
I changed the Z12 settings now to:

Margin: 60
Risk: 20

That should fix it. grin

Re: Z12 trade [Re: ] #435170
01/03/14 16:52
01/03/14 16:52
Bonn
Sundance Offline OP
User
Sundance  Offline OP
User

Bonn
:-). I did a retest and the needed capital is okay. :-)

Re: Z12 trade [Re: ] #435182
01/03/14 18:50
01/03/14 18:50

A
acidburn
Unregistered
acidburn
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: liftoff
Well in the game of trading, the market usually rewards you for the risk you are willing to take, as long as you are not exploiting an arbitrage position. I am ready to sit on a 60 to 80% drawdown it must come to it as long as the trades in the live session fall within statistical expectation. I believe the capital required is calculated as the maximum drawdown plus the maximum margin required in the test period.
Makes perfect sense to me to be honest. Its how much capital you will need to to hopefully weather the storm, but if its a hurricane then you can possible lose everything. That is why its usually a good idea to go in with atleast 1.5 times the capital required for a risk loving person like myself and maybe a 5 times capital required for a risk averse person like yourself.
But remember your returns are based on the risk you are willing to take.
wink

OK, you have put it all nicely and I can agree with most of what you wrote. You are also right about capital required calculation.

But, while reading your post, it also crossed my mind that not only we might have quite different risk tolerance, but also that we're maybe missing an important variable here. A variable that will shed new light on the whole issue. And that is how much of our savings / net worth are we actually commiting to trade forex? Allow me to explain with an example...

Let's say that both of us have $20000 of life savings and that both of us are attempting to get better return on that money, instead of leaving it in the bank and earning steady 2% per year. Somehow we both came to the conclusion that a) forex market is interesting because of it's liquidity and b) that system trading is the way. So far so good.

Now let's see where we might diverge slightly in approach and thus create an illusion that we have different risk tolerance, when there might be none.

You might say, this forex market is dangerous, I'm afraid of it, so I'll commit only $4000 of my life savings to trade forex. You leave the rest in the bank. On the other hand, because you now stand to lose max 20% of everything, in the worst case, you can actually be very courageous and thus you're willing to see even 60-80% drawdowns, because, hey, you can never lose more than 20%. Right?

Me, on the other hand, I might look conservative, but actually my approach is a bit different, which leads to a wrong conclusion. From the begining, and currently just playing with demo account, I'm pretending that I'm already trading with all of my life savings. So I play from the beginning like I have invested all of $20000 I have.

Now, to match our risk tolerance, we would need to include all those parameters in the calculation. At the time that your $4000 account is say 60% underwater, that is -$2400, mine should be 12% underwater (also -$2400) if we're at the same risk level. If I'm at -15%, that actually means that you're more conservative than me. Even if the numbers tell quite the different story.

So is Sundance risking $5k of $10k of his life savings, and is thus wildly adventurous, or using $5k of $500k, which his grandma left him when she died (and is thus chicken), we really don't know. No hard feelings Sundance! grin

These money management calculations can really be a bitch and deserves it's own topic (or another one). I'll soon open one, because I have one more thing I'd like to point out.

Re: Z12 trade [Re: ] #435186
01/03/14 19:20
01/03/14 19:20
Bonn
Sundance Offline OP
User
Sundance  Offline OP
User

Bonn
Acid you call me chicken? :-)
I know that I risk to much but I see so less trades I raised the values.
When I loose the 5000€ my wife will kill me but nothing more or less. I have my fonds running. Those 5000 bucks are money I can 'play' with...

Re: Z12 trade [Re: Sundance] #435200
01/03/14 20:04
01/03/14 20:04

A
acidburn
Unregistered
acidburn
Unregistered
A

Acid you call me chicken? :-)
I know that I risk to much but I see so less trades I raised the values.

Ha ha ha, I see you!

When I loose the 5000€ my wife will kill me but nothing more or less. I have my fonds running. Those 5000 bucks are money I can 'play' with...

Oops. Still, read my topic about undercapitalization. I'd like to see you around for much longer. cool

Re: Z12 trade [Re: ] #435205
01/03/14 20:40
01/03/14 20:40
Bonn
Sundance Offline OP
User
Sundance  Offline OP
User

Bonn
I already read it. I'am not that certain if I really should lower the margin more. I think then Z12 won't take any more trades...

Re: Z12 trade [Re: Sundance] #435208
01/03/14 21:12
01/03/14 21:12
D
DMB Offline
DMB  Offline
D

@Acidburn - I do not know anyone who has made money with robot trading. I have read Market Wizards and there are people there who have, apparently. Larry Williams would use software and mechanical rules but still placed his trades manually after a little discretionary input. And I have read about those HFT computers sitting beside the exchanges. But robot trading like us, I know of no one, let alone someone who's real results were better than backtested. No one on this forum has come forward and said 'yes, I am making money with what I have coded or with the Zs, that is reliable.'

Also, it is clearly stated in the manual, somewhere, that to have a 'steady income' you need in the order of ten algos across ten symbols, give or take. With Z3, Z5, Z12 I would expect I have this. But my three months of trading and the demo's six months of trading are, in my opinion, failing with this objective. The flat period is clearly longer than the backtested one (some 20 weeks depending on the version of Zorro.) The exception is Z5 which some of us feel uncomfortable trading (I know discomfort is good, but grid trading?)

Also, I am like that second guy. I have my life savings. I have an overall passive income I would like to get from it (to fit my Asia living plan) and I am willing to take a higher risk on a small proportion of it so that the overall return meets my objective. I agree that it fits into a bigger picture and each individual must frame it based on their objectives, current situation and risk appetite.

Finally, I can give the Zs six more months, but not with real money. And if someone tells me that the results are within statistical boundaries, but they are not willing to show me the actual numbers, then I can't believe them, at least not with real money.

I usually give things a little more slack than they deserve, or give them too much the 'benefit of the doubt.' But this is stretching my patience.

Re: Z12 trade [Re: DMB] #435210
01/03/14 21:23
01/03/14 21:23

L
liftoff
Unregistered
liftoff
Unregistered
L

Well I have asked for myfxbook verified stats for the accounts and it has been overlooked countless times... Verification of the claim comes down to us

Re: Z12 trade [Re: ] #435212
01/03/14 21:40
01/03/14 21:40
D
DMB Offline
DMB  Offline
D

@Liftoff - There is one tendency that is almost universal. Once you become a successful trader, you leave the noobs community and don't feel a need to publish your results. Then you become a myth, like so-and-so's brother-in-law trades for a living. Even the one's who do stay public, e.g. through education, don't publish their results. So I won't be surprised if the Zorro team keep their official and personal results to themselves. With other educators, I have even asked for a results file without the lot size and account balance. Just the date/time, entry, exit (and pleaded for initial stop for risk calcs) but they don't share. Such attachment, such ownership and such pride. It almost contradicts the equanimous state of being required to handle trading's ups and down.

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Petra 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de