by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (alibaba, howardR, basik85278), 756 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 33 of 33 1 2 31 32 33
Re: Hub World & Progress [Re: Reconnoiter] #441958
06/07/14 13:21
06/07/14 13:21
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Hey Superku! Looking GREAT!

Regarding getting on Steam - KarBOOM ISN'T on Steam, but that doesn't mean I can't give advice wink

Once your game is on Greenlight, its Greenlight page will get an INSANE amount of traffic in the first few days as Steam automatically funnels the Greenlight community to new pages.

KarBOOM's Greenlight page, for example, received 2167 unique visitors on day 1, 2039 on day 2, down to about 200 on the 7th day, and it just dropped further and further after that down to an average of about 1 per day (this obviously has a lot to do with KarBOOM's lack of attention in the press and my lack of work in that regard for a long time). Maybe you'll get more than that through press, but that can be unpredictable; your Greenlight launch days basically GUARANTEE you a lot of traffic, regardless of what else you do.

It got lots of "no" votes from users who wanted something playable (there was only a very outdated demo available then, I think), and from the fact that I didn't put much effort into the Greenlight page at first (I didn't realise the traffic it'd automatically get, and I planned to only try to draw attention to the page later after spending more time on it).

So, I strongly recommend you take great care in setting up your Greenlight page, you already have a well-thought-out-demo available, and you already have your game available for sale at least through your own website. Seriously. You'll get a LOT of one-off impressions quickly. These can turn into sales and word-of-mouth.

I know you want to get your game on Steam first, but I also strongly suggest you get a "Humble Widget" set up so you can sell it through your own website (see their application form to see what it's like). You'll get 95% of the sale price, which is much better than the (approximately) 70% you'll get from most other distributors.

Finally, regarding "Desura and the like" - Desura is GREAT. Others... Well... any distributor will only send you money once they owe you a certain amount. At least one of my distributors has sent me no money, because not enough sales of KarBOOM have gone through their website. Plus you have the obligation (perhaps even contractual) to get updates/patches to all your distributors in a timely manner, each of whom prefer the game is sent to them packaged in different ways or by different means. This can be a huge hassle with updates (this hasn't been a huge problem with KarBOOM, as it hasn't been updated since launch, but I am working on changing that).

So in summary, there are TWO big things I wish I'd done differently with KarBOOM's launch, which could be worth thinking about for your game:
1) Launch the Greenlight page at the same time as the game's release - (even if I didn't improve the page, this would've been SO much better)
2) Only distribute via the game's website and Desura (and, of course, Steam, but that'll wait for a Greenlight - you'll need around 4400 "yes" votes to crack the top 100 at the moment, and that's still not a guarantee Steam'll pick you up)

I hope that's helpful!

Keep up the great work with such a fun looking game!

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Hub World & Progress [Re: JibbSmart] #441959
06/07/14 13:31
06/07/14 13:31
Lagos, Nigeria
T
tolu619 Offline
tolu619  Offline
T

Lagos, Nigeria
Thanks Jibb. Your post needs to be an article on AUM or something. Knowledge is power. Please help out on this thread http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441957&#Post441957

Re: Hub World & Progress [Re: tolu619] #442002
06/08/14 08:07
06/08/14 08:07
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
@Reconnoiter: That's a nice idea, thanks. I will give it a try.

@JibbSmart: Thanks a lot for that highly informative post! I see, less is more, I didn't even think about selling it myself/ on my own homepage. However, although they seem to be your biggest points and "regrets", I cannot sell it or make a demo available before a potential Steam release/ during Greenlight because of the type of planned promotion. I realize that my approach is risky and I'm potentially losing some sales there but I simply have to try to go big or go home.

@tolu619 (below): Estimated release window is November-December (I hope!).

Last edited by Superku; 06/24/14 13:52.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Hub World & Progress [Re: Superku] #442008
06/08/14 14:04
06/08/14 14:04
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
@Superku: Fair enough laugh As long as I can buy it one way or another!

@tolu: I don't wanna derail this topic, but just so you know, I haven't used GS in a very long time now, and don't think I'd be able to help with that issue. Sorry!

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Hub World & Progress [Re: JibbSmart] #442048
06/09/14 23:16
06/09/14 23:16
Lagos, Nigeria
T
tolu619 Offline
tolu619  Offline
T

Lagos, Nigeria
Originally Posted By: JibbSmart
@Superku: Fair enough laugh As long as I can buy it one way or another!

@tolu: I don't wanna derail this topic, but just so you know, I haven't used GS in a very long time now, and don't think I'd be able to help with that issue. Sorry!

Thanks. I solved the problem with help from forum members.
@Superku, When is the estimated release window for Superku?

Page 33 of 33 1 2 31 32 33

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de