by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (VoroneTZ, monk12, Quad), 829 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 34 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 33 34
Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: WretchedSid] #438140
03/08/14 13:30
03/08/14 13:30
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Just watched it right now. I really like the overall scene, but i have a problem with the colors. I don't know i just have the feeling that they aren't "right".
Also i noticed that your athmospheric scattering shader makes some nice bloom artifacts grin

But overall a very nice demo video. Shadows are high quality, also Ground Tesselation is awesome, i really like it!

Maybe you could add a nice little decent light scattering effect, not much work but gives an awesome quality improvement imho

Visit my site: www.masterq32.de
Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: MasterQ32] #438141
03/08/14 13:51
03/08/14 13:51
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
What exactly do you mean by light scattering (its a pretty general term)?

Also the colors get washed out when converting the raw frames into a video. Could be a gamma or color space problem but also data loss from the conversion to yuv420. It also looks a lot different depending on the video player...
I am using ffmpeg to convert the images to a h264 encoded video.

This is one of the raw frames:

This is a similar frame on vimeo:

Edit:
I made some more comparisons between videos and raw frames and all videos look fine in vlc, but in quicktime the video I made directly from the frames looks very washed out and the video I made from a lossless video looks a bit better, but still wrong. Also vimeo looks washed out and youtube is much worse.
Then again, it looks all a lot different on my other monitor...

Last edited by Slin; 03/08/14 14:08.
Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: Slin] #438145
03/08/14 15:25
03/08/14 15:25
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
I meant a "godray" effect. (Volumetric light scattering)
And yes, the colors are a bit better on the screenshot. But i think the grass is too desaturated in comparison to the houses.

Last edited by MasterQ32; 03/08/14 15:25.

Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: MasterQ32] #438162
03/08/14 21:47
03/08/14 21:47
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck

Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: Slin] #438164
03/08/14 22:24
03/08/14 22:24
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Wow, awesome! Looks pretty cool now. How does it shine through a tree with the sun behind?

Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: MasterQ32] #438177
03/09/14 03:35
03/09/14 03:35
Canada
WretchedSid Offline OP
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline OP
Expert

Canada
I'm having way too much fun playing around with the level... Turns out, I'm not a level designer and should not do shit like that.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: WretchedSid] #438271
03/11/14 10:26
03/11/14 10:26
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
great work guys keep it up .

you have shown that you have some great features in your engine , there are some things i would like to ask and please excuse me if you have talked about it and i perhaps missed it .

what standard of model/animation file types wil you try and support ?

wil you design a tool to place events within the animations , they are very usefull for placing sounds / hit / any kind of events within the animation timelines like footsteps etc , i dont know if animation tools already supports this but if you could support reading such events placed in animations that would be cool .

do you have or do you think of starting a forum for the project ?

do you have plans for selling the engine with all the source code ?

does the engine expose thread functionality to the coder ?

again i am sorry if i missed any thing you have already presented about my questions .

great work and i will be watching the developement .

Compulsive compiler
Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: Wjbender] #438272
03/11/14 10:43
03/11/14 10:43
T
the_clown Offline
User
the_clown  Offline
User
T

http://rayne3d.com/
Taking the freedom to answer for the two, this page should answer most of your questions except for the one about the animation event system.

Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: Wjbender] #438279
03/11/14 14:23
03/11/14 14:23
Canada
WretchedSid Offline OP
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline OP
Expert

Canada
The website already answers most of the questions as the_clown said, but I'll answer them here again in a bit more detail and the reasoning behind it!

Originally Posted By: Wjbender
what standard of model/animation file types wil you try and support ?

Out of the box there is support for our own file format which can load models pretty much as fast as your hard drive can funnel them into RAM. But that is as much fun as having to convert everything to MDL, so there is also an assimp module that provides support for common file formats such as .x, .dae, .obj and fun like that (fun fact: Did you know that the reed model in the instancing test scene is an MDL5 model?)

Besides of that, you can theoretically support any file format that you want, provided that you write a resource loader for it. The ResourceCoordinator and ResourceLoader classes provide functionality to add support for custom file formats, which seamlessly work in Rayne (ie you can simply ask Rayne for an RN::Model instance of your custom model and the resource coordinator and your loader will do the rest)

wil you design a tool to place events within the animations , they are very usefull for placing sounds / hit / any kind of events within the animation timelines like footsteps etc , i dont know if animation tools already supports this but if you could support reading such events placed in animations that would be cool .

I don't know of such a tool either. You are talking about things like the F.E.A.R. AI where they added informations for the AI into the animation, right? That's not supported out of the box, mostly because there is no generic way of adding such informations. In theory, again, you could simply go about subclassing the RN::Animation class to additionally hold the information you want and then provide a custom loader for your own animation format that provides these informations.

That's not going to be much fun though I'm afraid, especially since it requires you to roll your own animation format. An alternative might be enforcing a naming scheme for your keyframe animations, which is something you can do with Rayne: It allows you to extract frames of an animation into a newly named set (in case the animation is just flat or provides wrong frames... Hey Arteria!). How much information you can store in them is a different thing though.

do you have or do you think of starting a forum for the project ?

http://rayne3d.com/community

do you have plans for selling the engine with all the source code ?

No. The engine core will be closed source. We do provide you with release and debug binaries and additionally debug symbols, but that's going to be it. The biggest issue is not so much that we cook some super secret IP stuff that no one is allowed to know, but because it's a nightmare in terms of licensing. The only option would go with dual licensing, GPL and our current license, but what would be the use of that? You either get to hack on Rayne but everything you use it for must also be GPL'ed, or you don't get to hack on Rayne and instead have more or less useless source code.
And we don't want open source coders to work on a GPL'ed Rayne and then have to merge their changes back to us upstream so we can go ahead and sell their code.

Furthermore: Rayne is designed to be extensible out of the box. So you can already add functionality and replace things, without having to hack on the engine core itself. If you don't like the scene manager for example, no one is going to stop you from rolling your own (and you only have to create a custom scene manager, not re-invent the wheel because the engine doesn't like being changed)

does the engine expose thread functionality to the coder ?

Sure thing! You have access to the high level thread class and synchronization primitives, as well as the thread pool which does an awesome amount of work on your behalf to get your code running on all available CPU cores.

Aaand now... How about some more editor screenshots?

(Duplication of scene nodes foobar etc. pp. to make fence building easy)

And now for two screenshots of a moving sun:

The Sun class is something that Rayne doesn't know about. It's part of the test game, but Rayne provides a KVO and KVC system to export and observe properties of objects, which is something the editor makes use of. Note the "Time" property in the inspector, which is a property exported by the "TG::Sun" class.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: The answer to life, the universe and unity3d [Re: WretchedSid] #438313
03/11/14 19:29
03/11/14 19:29
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
great stuff , i have to say that the best feature you have given is the flexibility along with the lower level functionality .

really hate to be limited with an engine ,
the second thing i love is the language not being no second to best but full blooded c++ .

the event system was something along the line of
placing a type of marker (perhaps a keyframe) within the animation at any time frame and naming it for example "rightxfootxstepxsound" or "rightxhandxfingerxpullxtrigger" wich when you run the animation you could query in code for when that event(frame) becomes current like
if(event("rightxfootxstepxsound"))playsound(footstep)

but okay i dont think this would be to much of an issue given how much functionality you can conjure up from the fact that your engine provides access to such classes .

thanks i will now check out the forum , by the way ,many many compliments i am impressed !

Compulsive compiler
Page 22 of 34 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 33 34

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de