by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (TipmyPip, AndrewAMD, Quad, aliswee, degenerate_762), 970 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Barony Gets An Update #443849
07/26/14 09:08
07/26/14 09:08
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Hiya, guys! So as the title says, Barony just got a big update, so I've decided to be generous and share it with you guys. Here it is:

http://www.baronygame.com/download.html

I don't think any of you have been very good raving fans about this game, so I'll give you an update of what's happened since I last hyped it to you:

Optimizations!
Completed ranged weapons!
Weapon and item depreciation!
Enhanced AI!
More levels!
Bleeding and first aid!
Rings of teleportation!
Amulets of strangulation!
Tricks!
Traps!
Trolls!
GUI enhancements!
Scorpions!
Balancing!
Bug fixing!
Readable books!
And last but not least, a pause menu!

Egads!

Also, if any of you are interested, I'd be happy to play the game with you over the internet later today, though I really have to sleep now since it's 5am here and I am dead tired.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Barony Gets An Update [Re: Redeemer] #443857
07/26/14 14:26
07/26/14 14:26
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Uhm my avatar when creating a new character is invisible, so is my fps weapon, and I encountered an invisible wall saying 'you hit the door!' and something like 'you broke the door!' when I hit it with my invisible weapon thingy confused

Thought I would let you know tongue

Re: Barony Gets An Update [Re: Reconnoiter] #443858
07/26/14 16:42
07/26/14 16:42
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
This is a strange bug I've encountered only on systems with really really old graphics cards. It possibly has something to do with having too little VRAM. Not quite sure yet.

tl;dr get a better computer.

Re: Barony Gets An Update [Re: Redeemer] #443876
07/27/14 10:02
07/27/14 10:02
T
the_clown Offline
User
the_clown  Offline
User
T

Unfortunately, definitions of "really really old graphics card" differ between devs as well as between gamers... tongue

Re: Barony Gets An Update [Re: the_clown] #443879
07/27/14 11:42
07/27/14 11:42
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Well it is a laptop, and it is ~3,5 years old.

To help you indentify the problem: windows 7, 32 bit (<- it is strange but true grin )Installed RAM 4 gb. Virtual ram recommended: ~4500mb, allocated: ~4000mb or 8000mb (I am not expert at this, this is what system properties said). It is not the virtual ram I think, but it might be outdated drivers or such. Then again not my expertise.

Re: Barony Gets An Update [Re: Reconnoiter] #443894
07/27/14 16:42
07/27/14 16:42
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
It's much better than the very first version (it was horrible truly speaking)! But I miss 'saving' feature for settings, plus if you set small resolution (I'd prefer it in such games), game dialog (console?) it too HUGE (covering half of the screen). And to my taste player walks too slow sidewise and backwards. All-in-all looks pretty sweet! Keep it up!

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: Barony Gets An Update [Re: 3run] #443896
07/27/14 17:58
07/27/14 17:58
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
Downloading right now, I'll post some feedback later (or tomorrow) laugh

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: Barony Gets An Update [Re: 3run] #443897
07/27/14 18:09
07/27/14 18:09
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Originally Posted By: 3run
It's much better than the very first version

The "first version" you're talking about is not something I'd call a first version. It was just a demonstration of what I was working on at the time and wasn't meant to be criticized or judged for its fun factor because it didn't have any.

I miss 'saving' feature for settings

You can save your settings. Unless you mean save your game, in which case that will never be in there because we intend the game to ultimately be beatable in 1-2 hours. Surviving the trip will be the hard part.

plus if you set small resolution (I'd prefer it in such games), game dialog (console?) it too HUGE (covering half of the screen).

I don't recommend you set the resolution to anything lower than 960x600 at this point, otherwise gui elements will start overlapping each other and cause you loads of grief.

to my taste player walks too slow sidewise and backwards.

We get that occasionally from people, but ultimately they get used to it. The reason we do it is because it eliminates exploits like running backwards from enemies and forces you to commit more to whatever direction you're looking in. In real life you cannot move backwards at nearly the speed you can move forwards and there's good reasons for that. Just watch where you're going.

Re: Barony Gets An Update [Re: Redeemer] #443898
07/27/14 18:35
07/27/14 18:35
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
Okay so I've tested it a little and this is what I've noticed so far:

- When chaning the resolution too high (I accidentally clicked 1200p instead of 1080p) the game crashes and doesn't start again.
- I wonder if there's something like blocking or dodging enemy attacks?
- The backwards walking speed is indeed uncomfortably slow, but maybe I'll get used to it.
- The GUI could/should be bigger on higher resolutions.
- Also the inventory doesn't seem very intuitive (to me), I'd prefer an inventory like the one in Minecraft where you can easily find objects because of their thumbnail.
- The graphics-style is nice, but you could add a little shading. With the current lighting the little 3D-blocks on models aren't really visible.
- The game is hard as fuck (...but maybe I'm the one to blame for being bad at it)

These are just my first thoughts about your game. Even though they might sound a little negative I really like Barony, keep up the good work.

Last edited by Kartoffel; 07/27/14 18:38.

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: Barony Gets An Update [Re: Kartoffel] #443903
07/27/14 19:57
07/27/14 19:57
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Originally Posted By: Kartoffel
When chaning the resolution too high (I accidentally clicked 1200p instead of 1080p) the game crashes and doesn't start again.

You can fix this by manually editing the default.cfg file in the game's directory to a proper resolution. In a later update we'll fix this so that the game can return to a safe resolution without crashing if/when you make a mistake.

I wonder if there's something like blocking or dodging enemy attacks?

No, but enough people have raised this suggestion that we're seriously considering it. A higher level of interactivity and skill in the fights would likely make them more fun anyway.

The GUI could/should be bigger on higher resolutions.

We're always working on that. grin

Also the inventory doesn't seem very intuitive (to me), I'd prefer an inventory like the one in Minecraft where you can easily find objects because of their thumbnail.

I've seriously considered redesigning the inventory window to use draggable thumbnails since other people have said this same thing. We'll see what happens.

The graphics-style is nice, but you could add a little shading. With the current lighting the little 3D-blocks on models aren't really visible.

To be honest they're not really meant to be. We've experimented with different forms of shading on the models and found that things look best when the faces of each cube are the same shade (no contrast) because the blockiness of the objects is left unexposed. As an example, this is the way the rat currently looks in the game:

But with added contrast:

This may be a matter of opinion but the first image looks far better to me than the second as exposing all the sharp corners in the model seriously reduces its ability to seem "alive," particularly when the creature is in motion. I guess it's because the first image has a more "impressionistic" look to it, whereas the second one looks far more blocky and rigid. I don't know.

The game is hard as fuck (...but maybe I'm the one to blame for being bad at it)

To be fair the difficulty curve is not perfectly in balance yet and I am constantly reevaluating the game to see whether its too hard or not. Personally I've reached the "end" of the game a number of times before both playing by myself and with other people, but even for me I will often misjudge the state of my character's health and get into a fight I cannot win or run out of food before I can restock. The game's not forgiving, certainly, but I've made it through enough times that it feels "fair-ish" to me.

Thanks for your thoughts so far anyway guys, I (and the others on my team) appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by Redeemer; 07/27/14 20:02.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de