by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, exile, Ayumi), 1,085 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The future [Re: NIN_AATCHB] #448736
02/19/15 09:26
02/19/15 09:26
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
@NIN_AATCHB:
I don't get why everyone thinks android support is the best thing in the world...
Yes, there are people who made a shitload of money through selling crappy mobile games but an engine that supports operating systems like android or ios doesn't magically make you rich.

And if android is your target platform just use an engine that's desinged for android, not one that's ported.

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: The future [Re: Kartoffel] #448739
02/19/15 10:56
02/19/15 10:56
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
I personally use andengine , free and pretty much easy to learn for a starter..

the most annoying thing is all the downloads and updates you have to get , and setting everything up correctly for example with eclipse ,basically just the several separate parts that forms a complete android developing package is what is annoying , but when you have that in order , its pretty easy to develop for Android from there on forward .

even having this now , doesn't help much until I come up with something unique , it's unbelievable how fast android development exploded and produced so much of every common idea already possible , the gap for unique ideas closed like thunder and lightning .

I guess its the whole "gonna be much easier" with gamestudio idea, that everyone wants ?

I would love an easier solution , java is not my cup of coffee ;-)

but I don't know , how would gamestudio approach android for beginners .

Compulsive compiler
Re: The future [Re: Wjbender] #448741
02/19/15 13:17
02/19/15 13:17
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
there are engines where it seems to be solved, using a high level abstraction so you need only to select target platform(s), only the android SDK should be installed separately, however I have no experience in it...
originally I planned development only for pc, but since tablets are getting powerful enough, I will definitely check android development possibilities in future, especially because I'm currently simplifying my game concepts, thus a much lower memory and less complex user interface would be enough... e.g. Creative Assembly is making their mobile version of Total War with Unity3D, and the current wip videos look cool. but my minister of finance prefers UE4 over Unity somehow...

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: The future [Re: sivan] #448749
02/20/15 07:21
02/20/15 07:21
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

It's funny, there is a big hype currently about the popular cross-platform game dev tool GameMaker Studio: the creator (YoYo games) has been recently acquired for $16.4 million by an online gambling software company (Playtech).

They have over 750,000 registered game developers, and everyone is now talking about long-term concerns..

There is a quote on Gamasutra that got my attention:

Quote:
While there is concern, it seems that game developers who use GameMaker aren't panicking quite yet. "[The] biggest worry is long-term, it needs commitment," game developer Rob Fearon said. "After the first year is done we'll see how things pan out, I reckon. [I'm] not worried for now though, partially because I've lived the dry times with GameMaker on multiple occasions, and saw it get pulled back to [being] good."

and:
Quote:
XNA: abandoned.
Flash: neglected.
GameMaker: sold.
Your proprietary tool could be next.
Open Source. For your own protection.

— Lars Doucet ن (@larsiusprime) February 16, 2015

It is funny, because this engine and it's users are really.. BIG. Big tech, big user base, big possibilities.. and big money wink compared to what happens here, we are just peanuts. A8 is just a peanut. Even JCL is a peanut.

In my plans for A7ITUDE (which is still under development, yes), I changed my plans for target audience and target platforms a lot, and what is clear, is that I want to develop for PC and not mobile, and I want to reach out on Windows, Mac and Linux.. so it is inevitable to switch at some time.

First I was flirting with jMonkey (for JAVA reasons), then I flirted with GDX (also JAVA, but a strong 2D feature set as well and better exporting features), and now I am heavily considering Godot Engine. I am also searching an engine with integrated shadow mapping support that just works... Unity is too expensive for me.

Godot is developed by Okam Studio - a game dev studio actively developing games for PC and console - and it is open source. It is really developing well and gaining ground, and it is is open source.

I think that is a smart move... you are developing actively games and you are developing (or "sponsoring") the engine in an open source fashion, with people actually paid for this - and you get feedback from the real world, you even gain new features without paying.

I do not suggest that JCL should make the same moves, but what is striking me is that there are no moves at all.

I am also unsure if the Android exporter will be the holy grail to the engine, because a lot of other features and tools are missing as well..

[EDIT]

Here are some URLs for the aroused minds:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/236574/GameMaker_Studio_creator_acquired_for_164_million.php
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/23667...erm_concern.php
http://gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20150217/236674/Game_Maker_Security_and_Freedom.php
http://okamstudio.com/
http://www.godotengine.org/wp/

Last edited by HeelX; 02/20/15 07:45.
Re: The future [Re: HeelX] #448756
02/20/15 12:20
02/20/15 12:20
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Android exporter is not a holy grail, but if gamestudio would have mac, linux and android support it would make the engine alot more valuable. Many problems/obstacles can be solved one way or the other and even things like map editors (to mostly replace WED) can be made (/are made) by users. Support for android etc. however can't, right?

Next to that, on the frontpage of gamestudio is mentioned that it is also used on several schools (or was used). I could see an android exporter being valuable for that too.

Re: The future [Re: Reconnoiter] #448758
02/20/15 13:35
02/20/15 13:35
old_bill Offline
Senior Expert
old_bill  Offline
Senior Expert

At the end of the day what matters in my opinion most is a clear Roadmap and Vision to stick to. Given the Information that one can extract from jcl's posts, it does not sound like we're still having an 5 (or more) persons team working on the engine and tools, so manpower is precious. Taking that into account, I doubt we'll see 3DGS support various plattforms at any time soon (again - guessing), but if existing labor is spend wisely upgrading and renovating tool by tool, there's maybe a realistic chance for 3DGS to find and/or stay in its niche. And being good in a certain niche can be profitable as well, Galep is a good example on that laugh

Just (@JCL) do yourself and 3DGS its reputation a favor and put some money into a current Webpage. That does not mean to spend 10k amounts on it, but the current page clearly undersells. If you need support on it, drop me a message wink

Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  aztec, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de