by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 730 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: oldSchool [Re: 3run] #447898
01/11/15 17:49
01/11/15 17:49
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
I don't think so. it's no challenge to get the right sounds (if you limit yourself to actual chiptune)

The other thing you need is 'just' some creativity... but you need that for any good song.

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: oldSchool [Re: Kartoffel] #447899
01/11/15 17:51
01/11/15 17:51
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Originally Posted By: Kartoffel
I don't think so. it's no challenge to get the right sounds (if you limit yourself to actual chiptune)

The other thing you need is 'just' some creativity... but you need that for any good song.
Well who knows, we'll see how things will go laugh

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: oldSchool [Re: 3run] #447901
01/11/15 18:50
01/11/15 18:50
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
It's definitely way too pixellated, not even the earliest 3D games looked this pixellated.

Also the font resolution doesn't match the rest of the game's resolution, which looks bad.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: oldSchool [Re: Redeemer] #447907
01/12/15 14:01
01/12/15 14:01
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
I actually like the graphics somewhat even though I normally dislike pixellated graphics. It definitely could use more details though (like posters, plants, stuff that you can find e.g. in Wolfenstein 3D too). Also weapons really need to be less pixellated, e.g. like this http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/2270/0000002417.600x338.jpg?t=1342306398 . And enemies too (e.g. like this http://gamecenter.nyu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/3413-doom1.jpg ).

What is up with the windows cursor floating all over the screen? Better to hide that. (yeah sorry I refuse to play a shooter without a mouse grin )

Also some doom or wolfenstein 3d like music would be nice as background music.

Good start I would say.

Re: oldSchool [Re: Reconnoiter] #447915
01/12/15 16:30
01/12/15 16:30
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Originally Posted By: Redeemer
It's definitely way too pixellated, not even the earliest 3D games looked this pixellated.

Also the font resolution doesn't match the rest of the game's resolution, which looks bad.
Thank you, very useful remarks about fonts!

Originally Posted By: Reconnoiter
I actually like the graphics somewhat even though I normally dislike pixellated graphics. It definitely could use more details though (like posters, plants, stuff that you can find e.g. in Wolfenstein 3D too). Also weapons really need to be less pixellated, e.g. like this http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/2270/0000002417.600x338.jpg?t=1342306398 . And enemies too (e.g. like this http://gamecenter.nyu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/3413-doom1.jpg ).

What is up with the windows cursor floating all over the screen? Better to hide that. (yeah sorry I refuse to play a shooter without a mouse grin )

Also some doom or wolfenstein 3d like music would be nice as background music.

Good start I would say.
As I've already said above, I'm not going to aim at DooM or Wolfenstein 3D style... For those kind of games, I've already made THIS! Here in this project, I'm trying to make it as simple as possible. Good remark about the mouse floating above the window, I've completely forgot about disabling it. About music, as I've already said before, I'm looking for free/good chiptune music and open minded for your suggestions. And sprites are place holders anyway...

Guys, you are looking in a wrong direction, instead of telling me about maybe bugs you may found, or gameplay remarks, you are talking about place holders and things which are adjustable within few clicks (pixellation).

Re: oldSchool [Re: 3run] #447919
01/12/15 19:43
01/12/15 19:43
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Well I did not found any bugs except that floating mouse.

About the graphics, I understand that you don't want to recreate e.g. Doom-like graphics, but as it is, it is not really exciting to have a weapon that is made out of 4 different pixels, most importantly cause you can't make out what it really is. Now if you would give the machine gun weapon a similar resolution as e.g. this , one could atleast see clearly it is a machine gun (I am only talking about the weapon on the picture not other things).

Concerning gameplay, consider adding (semi-)big areas too (with more enemies) and more powerups.

Last edited by Reconnoiter; 01/12/15 19:44.
Re: oldSchool [Re: Reconnoiter] #447924
01/13/15 07:31
01/13/15 07:31
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
I have some suggestions for you 3run .

the enemies start shooting way to soon , there needs to be some sort of a pause for a moment and some sort of reaction before they start shooting at you ,like getting startled /yelling before wasting ammo on you

the enemies different approaches to attack ,is quite good ,however it seems like they never miss ?

the enemies never seem to be caught unaware ,I guess this cannot be any different because they only face towards you always ?

there is never a period of reloading clips ,however you pick up ammo in clips , this kinda takes away the feeling that I am responsible somehow for managing my ammo .

I could probably also shoot through a whole level without worrying about ammo supply , because there seems to be too much of it , how about some enemies drop some pickups , this way you are rewarded for being successful.

hearing enemies close to you on the level within some radius would add to that retro feel ,at this point you are completely unaware of any and all npc's around you unless they're right in front of you .

enemies gang up on you , so the restrictions of the level size really squeezed me into being unable to avoid getting shot.

I know your still busy developing so some of my suggestions seems unrelated , but thats what I thought about..

I like it though , feels solid and there is definitely a doable game within those dynamics .

ps..I get there's unlimited ammo because its a test ,would have liked to have test it on a larger level with normal ammo clip sizes..

Last edited by Wjbender; 01/13/15 08:25.

Compulsive compiler
Re: oldSchool [Re: Wjbender] #447925
01/13/15 09:00
01/13/15 09:00
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Originally Posted By: Wjbender
I have some suggestions for you 3run .

the enemies start shooting way to soon , there needs to be some sort of a pause for a moment and some sort of reaction before they start shooting at you ,like getting startled /yelling before wasting ammo on you
There is a pause, but it's depends currently on the fire rate of each enemy, so I guess I'll need to add a seperate state, like ALERTED or so, in order to make enemy get alerted and call other enemies around (they call for support around already grin ), and it will get triggered from specific amount of time, independent from fire rate.

the enemies different approaches to attack ,is quite good ,however it seems like they never miss ?
well, they do miss, thing is that level area is too small, it could be really strange for them to miss when they shoot static object from two-three meters? grin They weapon also do has an accuracy, so they shotgun will work only for close ranges and so on..

the enemies never seem to be caught unaware ,I guess this cannot be any different because they only face towards you always ?
They aren't always facing player, it's only the visual sprite which is always oriented towards the camera. Try to be more cautious, you may notice that when they aren't alerted, they more slowly, also 'walking' animation is player slower..

there is never a period of reloading clips ,however you pick up ammo in clips , this kinda takes away the feeling that I am responsible somehow for managing my ammo .
Reloading isn't planed at all. In most of older games (even DooM?), there is no reloading at all, only total amount of ammo for each weapon. Here in this project, I've managed to have only one type of ammo for shotgun and smg, so it's depends on the player how he wants to spends the ammo, via smg (high fire rate, low damage, good accuracy) or shotgun (low fire rate, high damage, bad accuracy).

I could probably also shoot through a whole level without worrying about ammo supply , because there seems to be too much of it , how about some enemies drop some pickups , this way you are rewarded for being successful.
About ammo, you've got the point of WIP project as I see your post above, as this wasn't an actual game level, only a testing area ammo isn't needed to be limited. Well, I'll think about pickups, but probably I won't added them, as I've said before this project it TRYING to be as simple as possible, the goal is to find a key->open door->move farther. Maybe you played a game called 8-bit killer?

hearing enemies close to you on the level within some radius would add to that retro feel ,at this point you are completely unaware of any and all npc's around you unless they're right in front of you .
This also won't happen, cause as soon as I'll add music on the background, all those noises will make some troubles overlaying with music.

enemies gang up on you , so the restrictions of the level size really squeezed me into being unable to avoid getting shot.
About this one, in father levels I'm planning to have this kind of small level areas too, cause they do make you feel nervous a little bit, cause you are almost always waiting for an enemy to jump up on you from a corner with a shotgun, and well he won't miss if you won't move fast enough! This will be needed to dilute the simple gameplay mechanics I'm trying to archive laugh

I know your still busy developing so some of my suggestions seems unrelated , but thats what I thought about..

I like it though , feels solid and there is definitely a doable game within those dynamics .

ps..I get there's unlimited ammo because its a test ,would have liked to have test it on a larger level with normal ammo clip sizes..
Thank you very much! You've had some really nice and very important remarks! laugh

As I see that nowadays public doesn't really understand and like too simplified games, maybe I'll change the concept and style grin I liked to keep it simple as it is, with enemies which are only 2D, always rotated towards the player etc.. but I see that not much of people understand this kind of outdated look nowadays frown

I was aiming to get this kind of style at the end, I've already said that all sprites are placeholder, but well...
Quote:
8BIT KILLER:

Gun Godz:

Last edited by 3run; 01/13/15 09:06. Reason: added images

Re: oldSchool [Re: 3run] #447927
01/13/15 10:16
01/13/15 10:16
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
those screens looks way good , reminds me off outlaws comical style a bit.

well I am actually too old to even be around on this forums so I do understand the whole style of your game , and yes even doom II had the same ammo style .

I just think there's some things that could have been improved upon in the old games that could stil have made the style and games good , like the reloading ,though I know this is all your choices .

yip the a.i is good in my opinion , and the test level is really tight which makes it difficult , well I remember games with this style of key cards like doom and level styles like wolfenstein , I like the rise of the triad and duke nukem level style more though as a personal opinion.

Compulsive compiler
Re: oldSchool [Re: Wjbender] #447930
01/13/15 15:02
01/13/15 15:02
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Quote:
As I see that nowadays public doesn't really understand and like too simplified games, maybe I'll change the concept and style grin I liked to keep it simple as it is, with enemies which are only 2D, always rotated towards the player etc.. but I see that not much of people understand this kind of outdated look nowadays frown

I was aiming to get this kind of style at the end, I've already said that all sprites are placeholder, but well...
, no that is not the problem. Sorry to say this, but it is about the art direction / artwork of e.g. the weapons that is lacking. It just isn't good. The pistol doesn't look like a pistol, the machine doesn't look like a machine gun etc. Wolfenstein 3D has also very pixellated graphics, yet you can clearly see the pistol is a pistol. Even better comparison is the image you showed there of 8BIT KILLER, you can clearly see that the weapon is a rifle/shotgun and the enemies are clubmen/barbarians. Even though the creator only uses a few pixels for each object.

And besides graphics are important for these games (whether it is good pixellated graphics or good realistic graphics or some other art direction), since you can't do much besides the firing and walking etc. you need to have some eye candy on the screen. wink

But maybe it is not only the texture but also the low video resolution (or it looks like that anyway).

Anyway I do think this is a good start so I hope you aren't disappointed or something like that, just keep it up and I am sure it will be great.

ps: is 8BIT KILLER any good? Looks quite fun.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de