by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, Quad, 1 invisible), 721 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: oldSchool [Re: Reconnoiter] #447932
01/13/15 15:57
01/13/15 15:57
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Originally Posted By: Wjbender
those screens looks way good , reminds me off outlaws comical style a bit.

Well I am actually too old to even be around on this forums so I do understand the whole style of your game , and yes even doom II had the same ammo style .

I just think there's some things that could have been improved upon in the old games that could stil have made the style and games good , like the reloading ,though I know this is all your choices .

yip the a.i is good in my opinion , and the test level is really tight which makes it difficult , well I remember games with this style of key cards like doom and level styles like wolfenstein , I like the rise of the triad and duke nukem level style more though as a personal opinion.

well, this screens are almost the way I want my game to looks like at the end, I'll think about reloading, but probably I'll leave it as it is. cause once again, I'm not aiming at making better oldschool game, but I'm trying to recreate the feeling that you are currently playing one.

Originally Posted By: Reconnoiter
, no that is not the problem. Sorry to say this, but it is about the art direction / artwork of e.g. the weapons that is lacking. It just isn't good. The pistol doesn't look like a pistol, the machine doesn't look like a machine gun etc. Wolfenstein 3D has also very pixellated graphics, yet you can clearly see the pistol is a pistol. Even better comparison is the image you showed there of 8BIT KILLER, you can clearly see that the weapon is a rifle/shotgun and the enemies are clubmen/barbarians. Even though the creator only uses a few pixels for each object.

And besides graphics are important for these games (whether it is good pixellated graphics or good realistic graphics or some other art direction), since you can't do much besides the firing and walking etc. you need to have some eye candy on the screen. wink

But maybe it is not only the texture but also the low video resolution (or it looks like that anyway).

Anyway I do think this is a good start so I hope you aren't disappointed or something like that, just keep it up and I am sure it will be great.
Ohh my... do you guys really ignore 'placeholder' word in every single post I've posted above? grin Or maybe you ignored, or didn't see that this is a WIP project? Or maybe you missed this one?
Quote:
who knows maybe this time (hopefully) I'll make this one till the end, so I'll look for an artist to draw this kind of 8-bit sprites and textures.
Once again, you are looking in a wrong direction when you start talking about graphics.. There are more important things at this stage of development. The current look is just about 10 % of what I would like to have.. F.e. does your 'fps coop Reconnaissance' project look the way you wanted it to be like at the end of development? Does it equal to the 'quality' you are aiming at at the end? I don't thing so. wink

ps: is 8BIT KILLER any good? Looks quite fun.
Well, I'm not advertising anything, but it's really good! Same as gun godz, but it's wasn't as interesting for me, as 8bit killer, which has that really 'oldschool' feeling... it's really feels like you are playing an old NES game laugh

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: oldSchool [Re: 3run] #447937
01/13/15 17:08
01/13/15 17:08
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Quote:
Ohh my... do you guys really ignore 'placeholder' word in every single post I've posted above? grin Or maybe you ignored, or didn't see that this is a WIP project? Or maybe you missed this one?
, yes I know you mentioned it a couple of times tongue , but I thought you maybe thought it was cause it was pixellated. So I thought I would point out that I think the art direction could be better. And that was alot of thoughts grin .

Quote:
Well, I'm not advertising anything, but it's really good! Same as gun godz, but it's wasn't as interesting for me, as 8bit killer, which has that really 'oldschool' feeling... it's really feels like you are playing an old NES game laugh
, great gonna try it.

- edit, I missed this bit earlier;
Quote:
F.e. does your 'fps coop Reconnaissance' project look the way you wanted it to be like at the end of development? Does it equal to the 'quality' you are aiming at at the end? I don't thing so. wink
, no not yet but I found the feedback of Superku and MasterQ32 which also was about graphics very valuable and I am actively updating the graphics and have so since the beginning (but it is a fairly big project so it takes time). Point I want to make: giving feedback about graphics in early stage can be really helpfull.

Last edited by Reconnoiter; 01/13/15 18:08.
Re: oldSchool [Re: Reconnoiter] #447959
01/15/15 09:36
01/15/15 09:36
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Okay, I played both 8-bit killer and your game so I could give some more useful feedback. So here goes:

The good:

Your game feels wayyy better than 8-bit killer in just about every way. The weapons feel good, the movement feels good, the blood is an awesome touch, etc. Playing 8-bit killer I got bored extremely quick because the mechanics are frankly just awful. No speed, terribly boring level design, awful delay on the hit impacts and basically no good visual/audial feedback at all. Basically the only prop I can give to that game is that it has a nicely executed art style and a cute introduction.

But yeah, your game is still better. So kudos for being that much.

The bad:

The graphics in your game really are pixellated to a fault, and it's not just a matter of looking bad, it affects gameplay too. When enemies shoot at me, their bullets are so blocky that I hardly know where I should move, and I can't see more than a few blocks in front of me before it all just transforms into a mass of pixels. I know you're fond of ultra-low res graphics and stuff, but this doesn't evoke any sense of nostalgia. It's not good!

Speaking of evoking nostalgia, there are a lot of things besides the resolution which mess with that in general. For example, the shadows look really sharp and defined for a "low-res" game, which doesn't make any sense. The shadow maps are not "old-school" so if your game is meant to be "old-school" then you should remove them. Same goes for the alpha blending and all those other visual effects you have going on. Get rid of it!

Some of the sound effects seem to clash with your retro aesthetic too. Like, most of them are low-bit chiptune whatever stuff, but then there are some sounds that are really high-definition, ie the sounds that are played whenever you pick up a new gun. That doesn't make any sense. Pick one style and go with it.

Last notes: could you please disable that TAB debug feature thing when you distribute your exes? I tried to alt-tab to this window to write this review while the game was still running, but that thing popped up so I pressed ESC to close it and the whole game quit.

Also, it would be nice if you stuffed the game's resources in different subfolders so I don't have to dig all over the place for the .exe when I download your zip files. kthxbai

Last edited by Redeemer; 01/15/15 09:39.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: oldSchool [Re: Redeemer] #447961
01/15/15 10:08
01/15/15 10:08
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Originally Posted By: Redeemer
Okay, I played both 8-bit killer and your game so I could give some more useful feedback. So here goes:

The good:

Your game feels wayyy better than 8-bit killer in just about every way. The weapons feel good, the movement feels good, the blood is an awesome touch, etc. Playing 8-bit killer I got bored extremely quick because the mechanics are frankly just awful. No speed, terribly boring level design, awful delay on the hit impacts and basically no good visual/audial feedback at all. Basically the only prop I can give to that game is that it has a nicely executed art style and a cute introduction.

But yeah, your game is still better. So kudos for being that much.
Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Redeemer

The bad:

The graphics in your game really are pixellated to a fault, and it's not just a matter of looking bad, it affects gameplay too. When enemies shoot at me, their bullets are so blocky that I hardly know where I should move, and I can't see more than a few blocks in front of me before it all just transforms into a mass of pixels. I know you're fond of ultra-low res graphics and stuff, but this doesn't evoke any sense of nostalgia. It's not good!

Speaking of evoking nostalgia, there are a lot of things besides the resolution which mess with that in general. For example, the shadows look really sharp and defined for a "low-res" game, which doesn't make any sense. The shadow maps are not "old-school" so if your game is meant to be "old-school" then you should remove them. Same goes for the alpha blending and all those other visual effects you have going on. Get rid of it!

Some of the sound effects seem to clash with your retro aesthetic too. Like, most of them are low-bit chiptune whatever stuff, but then there are some sounds that are really high-definition, ie the sounds that are played whenever you pick up a new gun. That doesn't make any sense. Pick one style and go with it.

Last notes: could you please disable that TAB debug feature thing when you distribute your exes? I tried to alt-tab to this window to write this review while the game was still running, but that thing popped up so I pressed ESC to close it and the whole game quit.

Also, it would be nice if you stuffed the game's resources in different subfolders so I don't have to dig all over the place for the .exe when I download your zip files. kthxbai
Pretty useful remarks, thank you once again! About resolution, yes I realized myself that I've used too low resolution.. It was 80x60 or something like that grin Now I've changed it to 200x150 and it's way much better! About the art style, don't judge this too much guys, those are just PLACEHOLDER! But I'm thinking about changing the whole style... to something more that wolf3d

Re: oldSchool [Re: 3run] #447966
01/15/15 11:23
01/15/15 11:23
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Agree with Redeemer, your blood effects, weapon impacts etc. are good, keep that. Just saw a gameplay movie of 8bit killer and besides the art style/textures it looked not so good I think.

Re: oldSchool [Re: Reconnoiter] #447967
01/15/15 12:05
01/15/15 12:05
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Agree with Redeemer, your blood effects, weapon impacts etc. are good, keep that. Just saw a gameplay movie of 8bit killer and besides the art style/textures it looked not so good I think.
Well, maybe you guys don't like it, cause were expecting too much from it.. I can say that I really liked the game, it has the atmosphere of old games, that's way more important that weapon mechanics, blood effects etc. It plays, it feels oldschool, like old NES game from 90s. And I liked the music from the game, it's awesome! Boss fights, dialogues between levels (story!), the game is pretty good.

Re: oldSchool [Re: 3run] #447971
01/15/15 12:44
01/15/15 12:44
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Wow the forum is alive grin

Concerning the resolution I think you should switch to something classic like 320x200 (PC), 320x240 (PAL console), 320x224 (NTSC console). Just for the numbers.
200x150 feels like... unrelated to oldschool).

Last edited by Firoball; 01/15/15 12:52.
Re: oldSchool [Re: FBL] #447982
01/15/15 17:01
01/15/15 17:01
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Quote:
Wow the forum is alive grin
, more like undead tongue

Quote:
Well, maybe you guys don't like it, cause were expecting too much from it.. I can say that I really liked the game, it has the atmosphere of old games, that's way more important that weapon mechanics, blood effects etc. It plays, it feels oldschool, like old NES game from 90s. And I liked the music from the game, it's awesome! Boss fights, dialogues between levels (story!), the game is pretty good.
, it gives a bit a (old) megaman vibe which is cool I think, but weapons etc. do really feel lame/weak I personally think (but that is a matter of preferences).

Re: oldSchool [Re: Reconnoiter] #447987
01/15/15 19:53
01/15/15 19:53
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Originally Posted By: Firoball
Concerning the resolution I think you should switch to something classic like 320x200 (PC), 320x240 (PAL console), 320x224 (NTSC console). Just for the numbers.
200x150 feels like... unrelated to oldschool).
You are absolutely right! Thank you for input laugh

it gives a bit a (old) megaman vibe which is cool I think, but weapons etc. do really feel lame/weak I personally think (but that is a matter of preferences).
I don't think that you can point out any old fps game (older than wolf3d and doom) which has some really good weapon mechanics. In wolf3d weapon doesn't even blob? grin But thats the way old games are made, and thats what makes 8bit killer look like pretty old game.

Re: oldSchool [Re: 3run] #447996
01/16/15 12:22
01/16/15 12:22
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Quote:
I don't think that you can point out any old fps game (older than wolf3d and doom) which has some really good weapon mechanics. In wolf3d weapon doesn't even blob? grin But thats the way old games are made, and thats what makes 8bit killer look like pretty old game.
, yeah but why make a game and leave almost strictly better features out of it? Its pure nostalgia.

I can't give you your list cause it doesn't make any sense to base a fps gameplay off fps's gameplay released before the wolfenstein 3d time. That being said, Alien vs Predator (1994) was released before doom 2 and was totally awesome and innovative (I know not released before wolfenstein 3d, but still very old). Talking about awesome hit sounds and hit impacts.

Honourable mentions:
- Heretic 1994
- Rise of the Triad 1994

Its a bit like someone would make a warcraft 1 like rts but doesn't add the ability to use your mouse to select several units at once. tongue While adding that feature would not kill off any nostalgia feelings, in fact I think it would only enforce nostalgia feelings cause the player won't be distracted by annoying controls (or lame hit events when talking about fps games).

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de