by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (dr_panther, Ayumi, 1 invisible), 877 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: What's stopping you from actually learning programming? [Re: Slin] #452456
06/12/15 12:29
06/12/15 12:29
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
yes in my opinion , take the time to find a source on the internet to study up a bit on OOP and as in the wise words of mortal combat "choose your destiny!!"

edit: I cannot say how good or what not this article is ,but here's a link for you ,there may be better out there or worse ,I haven't read it so :

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/22769/Introduction-to-Object-Oriented-Programming-Concep

OOP is the missing link from your lite-c experience ,towards almost any other languages you want to take on , you may already have a good grasp on it so I believe you wil catch on quickly with a basic OOP understanding .

Last edited by Wjbender; 06/12/15 13:00.

Compulsive compiler
Re: What's stopping you from actually learning programming? [Re: Wjbender] #452458
06/12/15 13:49
06/12/15 13:49
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Originally Posted By: sivan
don't feel bad, imo only jcl should feel bad as he can see his - originally not bad - product falling.
that is true, but he doesn't seems to be worrying much and some 'jokes' about updates won't fix the situation for me grin

Originally Posted By: Slin
After Lite-C I would totally recommend to continue with C++. Once you understand most of its basic concepts you should be able to handle any other imperative language without any effort.
You could for example take SDL as base and create a basic 3D game engine with OpenGL in C++ with just some basic features. It is a lot easier than you'd think and you will learn a lot.
I've read somewhere on the web exactly the same advice, to start over with C++, cause after it all other languages will go on fly (very easy to learn). So if it's going to give me a good base, probably I'll start with it (anyway, thanks to lite-c (hopefully) it's not going to be that hard). Thank you for your advice Slin!

Originally Posted By: Wjbender
edit: I cannot say how good or what not this article is ,but here's a link for you ,there may be better out there or worse ,I haven't read it so :

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/22769/Introduction-to-Object-Oriented-Programming-Concep

OOP is the missing link from your lite-c experience ,towards almost any other languages you want to take on , you may already have a good grasp on it so I believe you wil catch on quickly with a basic OOP understanding .
Thank you very much for the link, I'll take a look on that. I've already read some small articles about the basics, and I have to say, I was amazed how simple things are.. I've always thought that using lite-c and acknex is the easiest thing on the planet and that 'real' programming is million times harder. Well, when I started learning, it seems quite opposite.

Thank you for your great advices, little by little I'm getting an idea where to start and where to move on.

yes in my opinion , take the time to find a source on the internet to study up a bit on OOP and as in the wise words of mortal combat "choose your destiny!!"
grin

My best regards!

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: What's stopping you from actually learning programming? [Re: 3run] #452459
06/12/15 14:18
06/12/15 14:18
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
your destiny awaits : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_object-oriented_programming_languages

and haters can hate , but I browsed through that oop link I gave you and I have to say in my opinion ,don't read that piece of garbage first ,find something simpler for beginners and work your way up from there onward ,that article may help but I think it would truly cause you mass confusion accompanied by kick-myself-in-the-nuts syndrome

Compulsive compiler
Re: What's stopping you from actually learning programming? [Re: Wjbender] #452464
06/12/15 14:57
06/12/15 14:57
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
OOP isn't really hard to understand and I am sure you'll be able to pick it up as you work on something. More important and harder to understand are pointers and references and how to setup a project to use external libraries. If you handle that stuff in c++, it will be a lot easier everywhere else. Also while pointers may not seem that important anymore, they are just one of those basics that provide you a more indepth understand of how things work which will even help you in languages that don't have this concept.
I am sure there are a couple more things like that, just can't think of any at the moment... But if you get started on something with C++ I am sure you will encounter most of the important things.

Lite-C isn't exactly harder or easier than Unity C# for example, just different and in my opinion a better start for the basics.
When I learned C++ with only C-Script and Lite-C experience I could just start on a project and most things just made sense and some concepts were new, but I was able to just learn new things as I was using it.
I read a couple of C++ books before that though and had a not very satisfying history of command line calculators wink

Re: What's stopping you from actually learning programming? [Re: Slin] #452465
06/12/15 15:37
06/12/15 15:37
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
your destiny awaits : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_object-oriented_programming_languages

and haters can hate , but I browsed through that oop link I gave you and I have to say in my opinion ,don't read that piece of garbage first ,find something simpler for beginners and work your way up from there onward ,that article may help but I think it would truly cause you mass confusion accompanied by kick-myself-in-the-nuts syndrome

Yes, I have to say when I just opened up that link, I was a bit confused, but anyway, as you said my destiny awaits and nothing can stop me grin

OOP isn't really hard to understand and I am sure you'll be able to pick it up as you work on something. More important and harder to understand are pointers and references and how to setup a project to use external libraries. If you handle that stuff in c++, it will be a lot easier everywhere else. Also while pointers may not seem that important anymore, they are just one of those basics that provide you a more indepth understand of how things work which will even help you in languages that don't have this concept.
I am sure there are a couple more things like that, just can't think of any at the moment... But if you get started on something with C++ I am sure you will encounter most of the important things.
Thank you Slin! I've already found some video tutorials with practical taskcs, and the best part is, that it's all on Russian, cause learning from English articles yet hard for me (it's like firstly imporoving my English, and then after a second read my knowledge). I also found C++ and OpenGL tutorials (made out with 26 videos), so it's going to be very intance and hopefully interesting! laugh

Lite-C isn't exactly harder or easier than Unity C# for example, just different and in my opinion a better start for the basics.
When I learned C++ with only C-Script and Lite-C experience I could just start on a project and most things just made sense and some concepts were new, but I was able to just learn new things as I was using it.
I read a couple of C++ books before that though and had a not very satisfying history of command line calculators wink
By saying easier I meant that it's easier to organize your project, mainly cause of OOP (comparing to procedural), that's what I've found at least for myself. And after having some basic knowledge in Acknex and generaly in lite-c, it's really easier to start off with unity and especially with their tutorials. laugh

Thank you guys! My best regards!

Re: What's stopping you from actually learning programming? [Re: 3run] #452480
06/13/15 05:34
06/13/15 05:34
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
about language difficulties: I personally prefer to read about programming in English, sometimes it is harder for me to understand the Hungarian terminology despite the fact my English is much worse, and there are a lot of great books for programmers available here. so I set my programming mind (and my musician mind too) to think in English, that also helps to understand more easily English-only documentations.

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: What's stopping you from actually learning programming? [Re: sivan] #452481
06/13/15 10:26
06/13/15 10:26
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
@3run , I can easily see why you say it's easier than lite-c , simple fact is in c++ or c# you have a lot of pre coded libraries and packages and sdks ready and available to you at any given time ,you have an arsenal on your side ,you have a professional development environment and debugger , professional compilers , its world's apart from the difficulties of sed and lite(c) , in lite (c) you would have to do extensive amount of extra coding etc to make that arsenal available for you , you have great user friendly features out of the box like intellisense , you also have a world of samples and help and info available under your finger tips almost instantly ,compared to lite-c which only reaches as far as its user base (I know it doesnt sound like I am fair) but I mean c itself is something barely even used ever today ,well not the kind of c way back and especially not litec .

in those regards ,yes easier than litec .

you don't really need to dig in to opengl ,I am sure the moral was that ,if you were to get into c++ and learned it ,you could easily grab and use something low level like opengl or directx or direct3d or a rendering-engine or even pure c++ and hack up a game without using any game engine ,with the skills you have learned .

but not taking anything away from c# you could also do it on c# , for example there's many easily worked with wrappers and stuff in c# like sharpdx,the upside of c# for such things is small and non complicated wrappers are easily available ,they dont require a complicated project setup and build .

to be honest ,I am a big c++ fan , but I love what c# brings to the table , I have great difficulty with litec because my whole manner of thinking is accustomed to c++ , I also know more of what is ready and available to me in c++ .

I jumped in to c# just a while back , the transition was mostly easy , then theres some differences to also learn and get used to , but from c++ to c# ,the transition is acceptably easy , I don't know how others find c# if they do not come from a c++ background ?

Compulsive compiler
Re: What's stopping you from actually learning programming? [Re: Wjbender] #452482
06/13/15 10:40
06/13/15 10:40
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
There is a huge programming books repository on GitHub.

https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-...nal-development

Salud!

Re: What's stopping you from actually learning programming? [Re: txesmi] #452495
06/14/15 10:36
06/14/15 10:36
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Originally Posted By: sivan
about language difficulties: I personally prefer to read about programming in English, sometimes it is harder for me to understand the Hungarian terminology despite the fact my English is much worse, and there are a lot of great books for programmers available here. so I set my programming mind (and my musician mind too) to think in English, that also helps to understand more easily English-only documentations.
Well, maybe after learning some of the basic stuff, I'll continue on English, so it will be much easier to understand everything (after having a little base of knowledge behind).

@3run , I can easily see why you say it's easier than lite-c , simple fact is in c++ or c# you have a lot of pre coded libraries and packages and sdks ready and available to you at any given time ,you have an arsenal on your side ,you have a professional development environment and debugger , professional compilers , its world's apart from the difficulties of sed and lite(c) , in lite (c) you would have to do extensive amount of extra coding etc to make that arsenal available for you , you have great user friendly features out of the box like intellisense , you also have a world of samples and help and info available under your finger tips almost instantly ,compared to lite-c which only reaches as far as its user base (I know it doesnt sound like I am fair) but I mean c itself is something barely even used ever today ,well not the kind of c way back and especially not litec .

in those regards ,yes easier than litec .

you don't really need to dig in to opengl ,I am sure the moral was that ,if you were to get into c++ and learned it ,you could easily grab and use something low level like opengl or directx or direct3d or a rendering-engine or even pure c++ and hack up a game without using any game engine ,with the skills you have learned .

but not taking anything away from c# you could also do it on c# , for example there's many easily worked with wrappers and stuff in c# like sharpdx,the upside of c# for such things is small and non complicated wrappers are easily available ,they dont require a complicated project setup and build .

to be honest ,I am a big c++ fan , but I love what c# brings to the table , I have great difficulty with litec because my whole manner of thinking is accustomed to c++ , I also know more of what is ready and available to me in c++ .

I jumped in to c# just a while back , the transition was mostly easy , then theres some differences to also learn and get used to , but from c++ to c# ,the transition is acceptably easy , I don't know how others find c# if they do not come from a c++ background ?
I've already went through about 10 video tutorials (and created a very simple console calculator grin ), and I have to say it's very easy so far. I've also fulfilled some small gasps that I had about very basic stuff and all-in-all everything feels great. laugh

Originally Posted By: txesmi
There is a huge programming books repository on GitHub.

https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-...nal-development

Salud!
Thank you very much txesmi! I'll take a look at them, but latter when I'll finish my video tutorials. Salud! laugh

Thank you all for helping me out guys! My best regards!

Re: What's stopping you from actually learning programming? [Re: 3run] #452859
06/28/15 21:20
06/28/15 21:20
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Guys, I have a question related pointer, to be to be more precise about "address-of" and "dereference" operators. I went through C++ tutorial, and it seems to be very clear an easy, but when I try something with Lite-C, it all goes wrong... Why?

Example:
Code:
#define PRAGMA_POINTER

void main()
{
	int s=7, t;

int *p=&s, *p2, *p3=&t;

p2=&s;

*p3=8;

while(1){

DEBUG_VAR(*p, 10);
		DEBUG_VAR(*p2, 30);
		DEBUG_VAR(*p3, 50);

wait(1);
	}
}

I expect to see 7, 7, 8 on screen, but it seems that it doesn't 'dereference' a shit. In Visual Studio it worked well..

Greets

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de