by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (blaurock), 750 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What if we Kickstart A8 development. #451164
04/29/15 14:44
04/29/15 14:44

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Maybe this is only a good Idea to me. But what if we started a kickstarter to raise the money to "hire" jcl and team to dedicate full development time to work on the engine? A kickstarter could be a good way to show off the engine and bring in new blood. Also with a infusion of cash jcl would have a hard time taking the money and not turning conitec time into real time .

OK fire away (I'll duck)
Mal

Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: ] #451174
04/29/15 17:24
04/29/15 17:24
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
An interesting idea, we would have some fierce competition though. Other hand, I think it would be hilarious seeing Gamestudio 3d on kickstarter with a not too serious campaign. Like making fun of unity grin etc.

But to be serious, perhaps it could focus more on a niche market. Like it being easier to learn than other engines? New editors that are super easy to use while still being fairly advanced/modern?

Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: Reconnoiter] #451176
04/29/15 18:08
04/29/15 18:08
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
I don't think this is a good idea, if anything, it has to come from Conitec or with their explicit consent. Unless of course you would rather stage a takeover and just outright buy Conitec.

The biggest issue is that you need a lot of money. A lot a lot. Modernizing Gamestudio requires a heap of fulltime work for at least five or more people, it requires funding a research and design phase before that and of course you need testers. And kickstarter money is subject to taxes, so you can take a good 40% away simply for that. We are talking about a good 2 million easily, probably more.

And to what end exactly? Does the world really need Gamestudio? I suspect most people would love some backwards compatibility and not have to throw their code and knowledge away, but that would not make it a good or appealing engine. The whole legacy baggage that Gamestudio drags with it is what I assume is seriously hindering the Android version (that and underfunding, of course). There are engines out there who are modern and have excellent tooling and you would need to beat all of that. That certainly won't happen with Gamestudios legacy baggage, and there are modern game engines out there already which are given away for free.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: WretchedSid] #451177
04/29/15 18:18
04/29/15 18:18

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Quote:
There are engines out there who are modern and have excellent tooling and you would need to beat all of that.

Yes but so far on my examination of these Engines - I see a year learning curve. Nothing says "Hope" like having to learn a whole new system and spending a year to gain the skills of a amateur.

But I am sure you are correct. This is the only REAL indie/solo developer engine. The rest are so modern, you need a modern team to build with them.

Last edited by Malice; 04/29/15 18:19.
Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: ] #451186
04/29/15 19:44
04/29/15 19:44
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
All i want is a new LLVM base lite-c compiler and an opengl renderer.

Drop backwards compatibility where necessary, old projects does not need to work out of the box.

Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: ] #451187
04/29/15 19:52
04/29/15 19:52
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Quote:
The biggest issue is that you need a lot of money. A lot a lot. Modernizing Gamestudio requires a heap of fulltime work for at least five or more people, it requires funding a research and design phase before that and of course you need testers. And kickstarter money is subject to taxes, so you can take a good 40% away simply for that. We are talking about a good 2 million easily, probably more.
, testers are easy to find, still plenty people on the forum grin

Quote:

And to what end exactly? Does the world really need Gamestudio?
, haha, not really. That's probably the biggest challenge. Though I personally really like GS3d's to the point documentation, but perhaps I am the only one in that blush . It also quite stable so far, but maybe that's just me again. Last I don't think I could have made some of the stuff I made in this engine, so far, in other engines (like a fully fledged map editor I am working on).

What is your favourite (game) engine actually Sid (besides Rayne ofcourse, and obviously besides GS3d tongue )?

Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: Quad] #451188
04/29/15 19:57
04/29/15 19:57
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Originally Posted By: Quad
All i want is a new LLVM base lite-c compiler and an opengl renderer.

Drop backwards compatibility where necessary, old projects does not need to work out of the box.
Plus multiplatforming support and different collusion shape for OBB (capsule at least!) blush

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: 3run] #451190
04/29/15 20:43
04/29/15 20:43
T
the_clown Offline
User
the_clown  Offline
User
T

@malice - the learning curve with most modern engines actually isn't that steep. At least not for all of them. I've seen artists with no programming experience pulling of fantastic gameplay systems with Unreal 4 within a few months of learning, and Unity is even easier to grasp. It takes some time, sure, and maybe Lite-C is easy to learn and Gamestudios overall structure simpler to understand, but that is mainly because Lite-C comes from C, which is a very minimalistic language compared to C++, C# and the like (which is why there are many who prefer C over these languages, especially in the lower level departments of the professional game development world). Once you understand the basics of a more modern language like C#, which seriously takes just a few weeks to get on quite an usable level with, you can pull off pretty neat stuff with Unity for example, and learning their tool suite isn't too hard either.

The problem with Gamestudio is simply that it is a dead project, there is no active development to speak of, and the development we've seen in the past was ALWAYS behind modern standards, always behind the competitors. Now, Gamestudio simply is no competitor on the engine market. It's nothing more than a curiosity from the past, suitable for hobbyist games with no commercial intent.

And honestly, even if there was funding for a refreshed, active development, even if this development would transform Gamestudio into something that could compete on the market, what would be left of it? Only the name - and, let's be honest here, the name isn't really something to be taken seriously in competition, is it?

Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: the_clown] #451193
04/29/15 21:14
04/29/15 21:14
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
I do not agree on "hobby games with no commercial intent".

Point is, whichever tool you feel is the best for your project and team. What matters is the project and your teams ability/will to finish it, not the engine. *Though i do not deny that engine plays a big part on those*

case in point: http://www.zulaoyun.com/

it's mmofps made with a8. And actually has fighting chance among it's competitors in the genre.

Last edited by Quad; 04/29/15 21:14.

Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: Quad] #451196
04/30/15 00:27
04/30/15 00:27
Karlsruhe
PadMalcom Offline
Serious User
PadMalcom  Offline
Serious User

Karlsruhe
I'd definitely donate some money just to see where it goes. Nevertheless, I'm not sure about the reaction of JCL since we once asked if we could help somehow and he replied we should keep making games. Nothing more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de