by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Edgar_Herrera, VoroneTZ, Akow), 973 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Reasons to start with 3d Gamestudio instead of Unity or others #453372
07/23/15 17:20
07/23/15 17:20
M
Mothership Offline OP
Mothership  Offline OP
M

Hi!

So I'm thinking of giving Gamestudio a try as I'm also at another section of the forums, the Zorro project creating a trading robot (at least trying :D).

As I've also started to program Python my interest in games development started to grow. I've done some research online and there are a lot of development platforms to choose from. What I can tell, Unity/Unreal Engine are maybe the most popular platforms out there.

The thing that worries me are the activity in this forum and such, for now example there are only 5-20 people viewing the forums for example, the latest threads in several categories are dated a while back and so on. And under features it says

Quote:
Gamestudio's A8 engine was developed in 2010 and is one of the fastest and most robust engines available.

And 2010 is 5 years ago, and I guessed there's happened much things since then. So I'm worried that 3d gamestudio is outdated and wont get any updates/maintenance. Also, when I get stuck, it feels good to have a forum where you can post threads to get help.

So why should I come here instead of for example Unity?

Re: Reasons to start with 3d Gamestudio instead of Unity or others [Re: Mothership] #453373
07/23/15 17:44
07/23/15 17:44
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Uh... several people seem to have good reasons to not recommend Unity or UE, but to put the truth right here:

On Gamestudio there is not much activity anymore, as Zorro was priorized. There are rumors that the next bugfix is quite close, but nobody has seen it yet.
If you have experience with Gamestudio and are not planning for a huge game binding you for years - go ahead and use Gamestudio.

Other than that, I cannot recommend its usage as long as the future stays this uncertain. We all would like to tell you something else, something better, but at the moment that would be a straight lie.

Re: Reasons to start with 3d Gamestudio instead of Unity or others [Re: Mothership] #453374
07/23/15 17:45
07/23/15 17:45
California
Ruben Offline
User
Ruben  Offline
User

California
I actually haven't started on learning Unity yet, even though I have it installed on my computer. Eventually I would like to, but first I am concentrating on creating my first game engine with Gamestudio. I started using Gamestudio in 2009 with the intent of creating a video game, so I am concentrating on accomplishing that goal before thinking about moving onto other systems.

I have pretty much no experience with Unity yet, but I hear that it requires less programming than Gamestudio does. Unity supposedly has a lot more pre-built code functionalities that do not require coding, since they are already made?

I personally like Gamestudio, because I feel that I am developing my programming skill more from the ground up, and I feel more in control of my game development. Almost everything that shows up in my Gamestudio video game, I programmed it myself using Lite-C.

Once I am finished with my Gamestudio game engine though, I plan on learning how to use Unity as well.

If you want to really improve your programming skills, maybe Gamestudio is the better bet? If you want your game development to be easier to accomplish, with a more powerful program, then perhaps Unity is the better bet?

Plus, Unity is free. They only require something like a 5% royalty fee if you make over $100,000 per year in selling your video games. Other than that, it is free.

Gamestudio is not free, but you do not owe any royalties to Gamestudio, should your game make any money.

Last edited by Ruben; 07/23/15 17:56.
Re: Reasons to start with 3d Gamestudio instead of Unity or others [Re: Ruben] #453375
07/23/15 17:49
07/23/15 17:49
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

There's still a lot left to program in Unity - and the object oriented approach together with the component system makes it less easy to convert your code to a complete mess. In Gamestudio this can happen extremely fast grin

Re: Reasons to start with 3d Gamestudio instead of Unity or others [Re: FBL] #453378
07/23/15 18:50
07/23/15 18:50
M
Mothership Offline OP
Mothership  Offline OP
M

Hey,

Thanks for answering guys. I still haven't made up my mind. There are so many different platforms, I'm currently watching something called Construct 2, and that also looks decent I guess (what do I know, really?). Hmm.

What about graphics and stuff in Gamestudio, are one able to change the style of the graphics? Let's say I wanna have something more cartoonish or something more realistic? Does Gamestudio come with a set of different styles? Are one able to configure different styles to get a more "unique" touch?

Re: Reasons to start with 3d Gamestudio instead of Unity or others [Re: Mothership] #453379
07/23/15 20:14
07/23/15 20:14
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

That's mainly shader and texture stuff, not engine stuff. Any somewhat modern engine can do.
The graphics designer (and the shader programmer grin ) does the style, not the engine.

Re: Reasons to start with 3d Gamestudio instead of Unity or others [Re: Mothership] #453385
07/23/15 22:10
07/23/15 22:10
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Mothership
Also, when I get stuck, it feels good to have a forum where you can post threads to get help.
, this something you don't have to worry about. There's alot of code and solutions you can find by searching on this forum / or using google advanced search. Plus there's still plenty people helping out.

The problem more is lack of updates and some outdated things like the map editor and models that come with gs3d. You will probably have a bad workflow in the beginning. You can create professional games, its just harder generally I think. I would recommend gs3d if your doing it as a hobby.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de