by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 1,374 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: need Input about Entitys [Re: Dooley] #460039
06/14/16 02:05
06/14/16 02:05

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

@Kartoffel -> I do some mushing of shaders (With the little I know) to get a working version for whatever I need. So here in this case I dropped the "render twoside_alpha" bit into the pass for the animTree. If I needed a normal_mapping I'd work out hacking that in also. I've just learned this way, a good 50% reading up and tutorials and 100% try,fail,try again. 150% = learning things the hard way.
Code:
pass {CullMode = None; AlphaTestEnable = True; ZWriteEnable = true; VertexShader = compile vs_2_0 animTree_VS();

Possible you are seeing both my terrible texture and the add light + ambient effects of the shader. Actively shaded objects have a bit of light glow. I notice a touch of popping on screen and figured out it is the shader turning on and off in the clip range.
Here is the texture lol TGA2PNG for web hosting

- Funny story the need for a twosided material got added to the collection because I(and others) complained about wanting it to just be a WED ent flag. JCL would say how simple it was to add in code. Well we have a material that really isn't needed and JCL was right. However, ask me to explain the workings of the code snip beyond it's second layer of understanding and I still have no idea the answrs.

@Dooley - It's my understanding that in the end using this snip or the overlay both achieve the same thing -> running the entity in the solid pass. However, now I have to read up again to makes sure what I "think" and what is "true" are the same in that matter.

Last edited by Malice; 06/14/16 02:54.
Re: need Input about Entitys [Re: ] #460046
06/14/16 08:40
06/14/16 08:40
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
Yeah, you're right.
CullMode = None disables the backface culling, so polygons are visible from both sides.
AlphaTestEnable tells the shader to check the alpha of the pixel-shader's output. If it's higher than AlphaRef it sets the pixel's alpha to 100% if it's lower the pixel will not be drawn.
ZWriteEnable (in combination with alpha-testing) will prevent layering artifacts (this one is on by default afaik)

Using AlphaTestEnable should already include this, but you could add AlphaBlendEnable = False just to be sure that it's disabled.

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: need Input about Entitys [Re: Kartoffel] #460066
06/15/16 00:48
06/15/16 00:48

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Thanks for the notes. They got me reading more and they are transportable notes on directx not just this engine (or rather maybe HLSL). Which is great, because I'm looking to learn future transferable skill, like dx and hlsl.

Turns out , AlphaBelndEnable is set to off(FALSE) by default.

I add the line to test and I saw no visible differences.

Quote:
D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE
TRUE to enable alpha-blended transparency. The default value is FALSE.
The type of alpha blending is determined by the D3DRS_SRCBLEND and D3DRS_DESTBLEND render states.

Microsoft Link

Aside for the bad texture -> the over-layered grass models have random scale differences as well as random pan angle shifts, and do to the floor normal alignment they can differ in tile and roll angles as well. I'm not sure what you see(Because I'm ignorant to what I'm looking for.), but maybe it's related to these other factors.

Thanks for the notes, and help. There always welcomed.

Last edited by Malice; 06/15/16 00:55.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  HeelX, Lukas, rayp, Rei_Ayanami, Superku, Tobias, TWO, VeT 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de