by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Imhotep, opm), 785 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 480 of 554 1 2 478 479 480 481 482 553 554
Re: What are you working on? [Re: rayp] #460124
06/16/16 22:48
06/16/16 22:48

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Quote:
Thank you for an idea, I already knew about such tools, and I even do own one. But thing is, that those tools are used for animating vector characters , and they aren't suitable for low res. pixelated animations. So no easy way for me, but it's fun anyway.

I used my software package to do this.I think I remember the process as
- I create the vector layer image in a high resolution.
- bone and animate it.
- export to image files(frame to image)
- Then batch scale down the image files in gimp.

Don't get my lying as I don't recall from so long ago. I'm not sure the total outcome or the tweaks and workaround's that I used.

I always worked and lager resolution and dpi and scaled the end result, just because I couldn't work in tiny resolutions.

Re: What are you working on? [Re: ] #460166
06/18/16 06:02
06/18/16 06:02

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Not sure this counts as a "What are you working on.." post.

I've spent about a week(less as I didn't work solely on this) creating a qBezier Curve system and movement along it.

I'm not a math guy so this was a lot of work for me to puzzle out. Well not the curve, I kind of got that right in the beginning. For that I had to just step out of all the crazy math and think it out mechanically. It was solving collision movement along any shaped 3-point curve, at a continual-speed of the entity(No fast takeoff or slow end), that was heck for me.
Edit - So to make a blue dot travel the curve is easy, but to make it's speed synchronize with the moving entities speed was just crazy hard for me. -end edit

So I took way to much time creating a helper_function in a way that is almost humiliating...Lol

c_moveCurve

The screen-shot button and gif process makes it seem jumpy
Both car and box use some simple repelling vectors to make the pushing out of way action.

So here is a video
https://youtu.be/m3BzXWNKy0s

It's a big deal to me. Even though I know it's a simple task for many others.

Last edited by Malice; 06/18/16 06:05.
Re: What are you working on? [Re: ] #460168
06/18/16 11:54
06/18/16 11:54
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
@Malice: If I understood right, you're using actual movement vectors instead of placing the object at the calculated position on the curve? cool stuff.

At the moment I'm working on my 2D renderer. I just made some improvements to allow for pixelart rendering:

(too many scriptfiles ;_;)

Edit: next up will be an interface system

Last edited by Kartoffel; 06/18/16 12:22.

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: What are you working on? [Re: Kartoffel] #460170
06/18/16 15:51
06/18/16 15:51

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Quote:
At the moment I'm working on my 2D renderer. I just made some improvements to allow for pixelart rendering:

Awesome! Will it be faster than the engine 2d rendering?

Quote:
@Malice: If I understood right, you're using actual movement vectors instead of placing the object at the calculated position on the curve? cool stuff.

Thank you! Yes the white entity is moving with the normal c_move on a the relative x vector. It's using vec_to_angle to look at the blue dot, which is an point on the curve somewhere around 1-2 frames ahead of the entity.
Because points on the curve are found by a factor of time_to_length of 0-1 * curve_length, The entity can't simple chase a factored point. The next chase point must be found each frame.

Because t=0-1 creates different distances with different length curves, simply stepping through at a set step_interval would cause the look_to_point to move faster or slow dependent on it's place on the curve and the curve total length.

Using a standard movement vector the entity can join or exit the curve at any point and has standard collision. Because the look_to_point(bluedot) is calculated form the entity at the entities speed, even during a slowdown or collision(or being pushed backward) the look_to_point stays relatively 1-2 frames ahead of the entity at the entities movement speed.

So the entity is never attached and can move at any speed or speed variation (acceleration/deceleration).

The blue_dot is actual about the entity.xyz+entity.speed*frame.

Lol I think I'm just sound more and more confusing lol

Thank you for the reply!!

Last edited by Malice; 06/18/16 15:52.
Re: What are you working on? [Re: ] #460171
06/18/16 16:26
06/18/16 16:26
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
Originally Posted By: Malice
Quote:

Awesome! Will it be faster than the engine 2d rendering?
I think so, yeah.

the rendertime for 2000 sprites is around 1.0-1.2ms on my machine. it could be faster... but performance shouldn't be a problem.

however, things like collisions are going to be a bit tricky. I'll have to write my own collision system.

Re: What are you working on? [Re: Kartoffel] #460173
06/18/16 18:00
06/18/16 18:00

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Quote:
the rendertime for 2000 sprites is around 1.0-1.2ms on my machine. it could be faster... but performance shouldn't be a problem.

Could it possible work as 2d particle system? Or rather 2D visual fx system..

Quote:
however, things like collisions are going to be a bit tricky. I'll have to write my own collision system.

I would assume this would just be a simple matter of modifying a collision system already available. 2D collision, after all, isn't new, and I would assume that it's "state of the art" hasn't advanced much in years.

However I assume my way into a lot of falsehoods...lol

Re: What are you working on? [Re: ] #460175
06/18/16 18:21
06/18/16 18:21
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
@Malice: well it's 2d only, which means you can't really combine it with 3d rendering (if that's what you meant)

and yeah, 2d collisions aren't that hard to do, but I have zero knowledge in this field so it's gonna be a lot of trial and error.

it's gonna need a somewhat sophisticated approach, though. simple bruteforce methods (checking all objects for collisions) get extremely slow as the number of objects in the scene increases.

Re: What are you working on? [Re: Kartoffel] #460183
06/18/16 18:51
06/18/16 18:51
T
the_clown Offline
User
the_clown  Offline
User
T

Originally Posted By: Kartoffel
@Malice: well it's 2d only, which means you can't really combine it with 3d rendering (if that's what you meant)

and yeah, 2d collisions aren't that hard to do, but I have zero knowledge in this field so it's gonna be a lot of trial and error.

it's gonna need a somewhat sophisticated approach, though. simple bruteforce methods (checking all objects for collisions) get extremely slow as the number of objects in the scene increases.

Well that's why usually you have a broadphase first, where you test all pairs but with a cheaper test (distance only for example) and then only test interesting pairs in the narrow phase.

Re: What are you working on? [Re: the_clown] #460184
06/18/16 18:53
06/18/16 18:53
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
You can improve on that by putting the objects on a grid and letting the broadphase only check for potential collisions within a cell of the grid (and keeping in mind that an object can span multiple cells)

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: What are you working on? [Re: WretchedSid] #460186
06/18/16 19:05
06/18/16 19:05
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
Originally Posted By: WretchedSid
You can improve on that by putting the objects on a grid and letting the broadphase only check for potential collisions within a cell of the grid (and keeping in mind that an object can span multiple cells)

I actually tried that some time ago. It worked pretty well (sorting objects into the grid, moving them)
but there were some bugs and the whole thing was dirty a.f. since it was my first try to code something
like that. In the end I threw that part of the code away. However, I gained a lot of insight and my next
approach should turn out a lot better (and probably maintainable so I don't have to trash it again smirk )

Page 480 of 554 1 2 478 479 480 481 482 553 554

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de