by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Imhotep, opm), 785 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Godot v3 is Out - Free 2D/3D Game Engine! [Re: Kartoffel] #470912
02/12/18 20:21
02/12/18 20:21
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
I see its rendering is cool I meant the engine's editor tools like handling complex animations (can be heavy in case of a realistic third person game) like the animation blueprints in UE4, or terrain tools, foliage editor, material editor, a mesh reduction feature is also handy in UE4, collision editor, skeletal mesh retargeting, how the editor represents code implemented functionalities, and additional things making game development really faster like AI related stuff (navmesh pathfinder, behavior tree editor). I mainly see great tools for 2D games, and you can find mostly 2d games in showcase too, the 3D related info is quite short in the docs, but apparently it includes really a lot of great things!

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Godot v3 is Out - Free 2D/3D Game Engine! [Re: sivan] #470925
02/13/18 10:05
02/13/18 10:05
USA
RealSerious3D Offline OP
RealSerious3D  Offline OP

USA
Godot was primarily a 2D game engine with a bit of 3D up until this latest release. Now it is both. So, the 2D roots are still very apparent. However, some of what you are talking about is a part of Godot 3. Godot 3 has an advanced material/shader language and a visual editor will be included with v3.1 (so, it's in the works). Godot also has a visual scripting language like Unreal's Blueprints, which is also extendable. And more.

Some of the things you want in the editor, like mesh reduction, I would not use or want, but would do it myself in the 3D application of my choice.

In any case, Godot might not be for you. That's cool. I just thought that people here might be interested. After all, you get a lot with engines like Unreal and Unity, but with Godot you get the engine as open source (improve and extend it all you like, if you like) and get a lot of advanced features ... all for free no matter how much you make. Not only that, if you've seen how this engine has grown, then it would seem that it's only going to get better. And, lastly (for me), it has a pretty small footprint. Godot is like 45 MB. And when I run it, I don't have to have some account somewhere, it doesn't have to check in.

I am excited to play with Godot and see what it can do. laugh

Last edited by RealSerious3D; 02/13/18 10:05.
Re: Godot v3 is Out - Free 2D/3D Game Engine! [Re: RealSerious3D] #470926
02/13/18 10:28
02/13/18 10:28
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
Originally Posted By: RealSerious3D
And, lastly (for me), it has a pretty small footprint. Godot is like 45 MB. And when I run it, I don't have to have some account somewhere, it doesn't have to check in.
That's something that suprised me and I like about it. It's just really quick to get up and running. I mean, I wouldn't see it as a problem even if it was 500 MB (which would still be less that other engines), but the portability and quick start-up / loading are great.

As for how well it handles and performs, I'm not sure. I didn't spend much time with it, yet. I'm a bit concerned about performance (of the 3d graphics in general, aswell as some of the scripting methods like GDScript or the visual coding feature) but these might be no problem at all.

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: Godot v3 is Out - Free 2D/3D Game Engine! [Re: Kartoffel] #470928
02/13/18 11:26
02/13/18 11:26
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Very interesting indeed. Open source and free is great, need to check the examples and the source code soon. (First try on the day it was released was not so great, installed an example/ material test scene, that crashed, then I couldn't start Godot anymore as it crashed as well.)

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Godot v3 is Out - Free 2D/3D Game Engine! [Re: Superku] #470966
02/14/18 15:35
02/14/18 15:35
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
I hate engines taking several GB of my HDD, especially when more versions should be installed because of different projects...

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Godot v3 is Out - Free 2D/3D Game Engine! [Re: sivan] #470969
02/14/18 16:04
02/14/18 16:04
USA
RealSerious3D Offline OP

USA
The following video is fun, especially if you are making a 3D platformer or some other similar game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD04Tua191Q

Re: Godot v3 is Out - Free 2D/3D Game Engine! [Re: RealSerious3D] #470975
02/14/18 22:52
02/14/18 22:52
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
I really like Godot, I can't lie. I think they are doing a lot of things right, and the community seems to be pretty fantastic.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Godot v3 is Out - Free 2D/3D Game Engine! [Re: WretchedSid] #471065
02/18/18 14:00
02/18/18 14:00
D
DriftWood Offline
DriftWood  Offline
D

Well 2 days with Godot 3 docs, examples and video tutorials.

So far the learning curve is by far the lowest of the engines I've tried (Unreal C++ and unity C#).

TL:DR

GDScript is not hard at all after Lite-C. It's a bit confusing for foolish reasons. It doesn't use {} or ; instead it uses levels of indention. It only a little annoying because I like the organization of {} and ; after years of using them.

The built in classes are similar to acknex functions. It not to hard to follow. Move_and_slide == c_move , Input.is_action_pressed == key_pressed, raycast == c_trace, Delta == time_step, ect.

API documentation is lacking. It's in progress and incomplete. It's often short and not clear. I really prefer the A8 manual style with it's examples and related function links.

The "getting started" section on the Godot docs page is easy to understand and follow. It quickly had me understanding the design of scenes/node and scripts. Also that page has basic tutorials by subject from 2d to physical ect.. I haven't really look at but 10% of them as I skipped to the more advanced stuff on YouTube. But I'm sure it's worth spending half a day to really understand the design and api.

The built in script editor is not so great. It has auto complete but I haven't seen prototype tip. It is continuously error checking but it's so far not very clear about the error. Really I just haven't learned how to read and use it. The engine can hang on error, but like SED you can switch to the editor to see the debug and error info.

Cool fact the complete Godot editors are actually a Godot engine game/application. Sort of a working GED with built in SED.

Enough for one post, I'll post again if anyone actually wants a future update.

Last edited by DriftWood; 02/18/18 14:04.
Re: Godot v3 is Out - Free 2D/3D Game Engine! [Re: DriftWood] #471068
02/18/18 14:47
02/18/18 14:47
USA
RealSerious3D Offline OP

USA
Please do keep posting. It's helpful.

Also, while the Godot online tutorials and help are lacking (though better than they've been in the past, from what I'm led to believe), there are some really good tutorials online, particularly the ones from HeartBeast, Game From Scratch, and Jeremy Bullock:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrHQNOyU1q6BFEfkNq2CYMA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr-5TdGkKszdbboXXsFZJTQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwJw2-V5S1TkBjLQ3_Ws54g

They each should have Godot 3 tutorials, too.

Re: Godot v3 is Out - Free 2D/3D Game Engine! [Re: RealSerious3D] #471070
02/18/18 16:26
02/18/18 16:26
D
DriftWood Offline
DriftWood  Offline
D

Ok @RealSerious3D.
I'm following Bullock right now. His FPS controller is the current choice until the official one is finished by RandomMomentina.
https://youtube.com/channel/UCYGKT9XOmuL45aEP2bWBGYw

It brings up a few negative issue. Godot is like 3dgs in a way. You have to put everything together from parts. Unreal has a actor, pawn and player class. Ready to go built player controller. It also has minimal templates which I really liked. So you can jump right in with a basic fps player controller that has a basic weapon
, Collision, animation and camera. There are template for many game styles.

Godot lacks any player controller classes or scene. It would be nice to not have to connect all the parts. You will always need a physical body, visual mesh, collision, input and a camera in almost all games.

Why isn't this package already with in one class and scene with the choice to modify to needs? When will I need a player that doesn't accept any input? Or that doesn't need a collision haul? When will I make a game without a camera looking at the player in some form and to render it?

So why not follow unreal and build users sold controller classes and basic template scenes?

I mean I like it like 3dgs that by having to put it together and write all the basic myself I learn a lot and get a deep understanding. But honestly, I'm gonna make a handful of player type scenes with scripts to copy and modify. It seems foolish that all users have to personally build there first basic player controllers. Or that they would hand make them over and over for each project. That's very old school.

Anyway I'll post a more interesting and informative post at the end of the week when my first projects are further along and I have a real feel/ understanding of godot.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de