Zorro Links
Newest Posts
What are you working on?
by Ayumi
8 minutes 11 seconds ago
Performance report on the imported trades
by OptimusPrime
15 minutes 30 seconds ago
Possible to return character vector from R bridge?
by JamesHH
Today at 18:59
Help with Wine on Linux
by AndrewAMD
Today at 16:59
Stock Splits
by AndrewAMD
Today at 16:23
Linux - Help with setting up with Wine and Zorro
by michaelj
Today at 04:49
How to expand Zorro to work with other broker ( like Tradovate )
by AndrewAMD
Today at 02:12
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Space Between
Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Worst Case Z
AckCon'18 - Lotter vs the World 2 - Preview Release
Who's Online
12 registered (AndrewAMD, Ayumi, JamesHH, ChrstphFr, michaelj, Akow, jenGs, Bill_Lin_Fang, alibaba, 1 invisible), 165 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bill_Lin_Fang, michaelj, ThePituLegend, kankan, Nofip
18207 Registered Users
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#476856 - 04/13/19 12:05 Is it possible to beat 50/50 with equal risk/reward?
Raisinbran Offline

Okay, so I appreciate fixed TP and SL have been discredited in other posts, but if we imagine a system that targeted some predefined constant == takeprofit == stoploss, how possible would it be to achieve a win% of say 55%+ over a period of time?

I just figured that if risk == reward (after commission, slippage, spread, rollover etc) and win% > 50, then surely the crazy old martingale system actually makes sense..?

I've tried some very basic decision making algorithms but with my limited experience have only been using the standard indicators in my bots and have never yielded anything significantly consistent in WFO; something I painstakingly did in MT4 before I discovered the magic of Zorro.

I note in the Zorro Manual it mentions something about a machine learning approach that was correct 57% of the time on EUR/USD H1 but can't really figure out under what conditions (https://manual.zorro-project.com/ under Main Topics > Trading Strategies, the blue graph bit).

But the question remains. Is beating equal risk/reward trading with fixed TP/SL possible?

#476857 - 04/13/19 13:09 Re: Is it possible to beat 50/50 with equal risk/reward? [Re: Raisinbran]
AndrewAMD Online
User

Loc: Chicago
I donít think stop losses were discredited.

The real issue is TP. You need to determine on a case by case basis whether it is appropriate for your trading system.

One way to check this is to Test without TP and produce and analyze MAE and MFE plots.

Can you do well with TP? Maybe, but you might have better options.

#476859 - 04/13/19 14:34 Re: Is it possible to beat 50/50 with equal risk/reward? [Re: AndrewAMD]
Raisinbran Offline

Okay, but I was fishing around with the idea of seeing whether the Martingale strategy might actually be viable (albeit prone to occasional significant drawdown) if you had equal risk reward, but greater than 50% win rate.

In the above scenario we could apply expected value theory and show a projected long term return.

Example

a system with equal net risk/reward = 1
winrate 55%
maximum affordable consecutive losses : 4 (on the 5th loss you cut your losses and start again)

Without Martingale we have 55 win - 45 loss = net +10 after 100 positions, therefore each position has an expected value of +10/100 = 0.1

With Martingale an absolute loss (5 consecutive losses) is worth -31 and has a likelihood of 0.45^5 =~0.0185
a non-absolute loss therefore has a likelihood of 1 - ~0.0185 = ~0.9815 and is worth 1
The net win - loss is then (0.9815 x 1) - (0.0185 x 31) = 0.41 for each position based on expected value theory.

0.41 > 0.1

This number is improved with a higher max loss count as you might expect.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de