Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Blobsculptor tools and objects download here
by NeoDumont. 03/28/24 03:01
Issue with Multi-Core WFO Training
by aliswee. 03/24/24 20:20
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by Edgar_Herrera. 03/23/24 21:41
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 03/06/24 09:27
VSCode instead of SED
by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (degenerate_762), 1,114 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 2
Page 67 of 67 1 2 65 66 67
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Dooley] #248992
01/30/09 18:45
01/30/09 18:45
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: Dooley

What are the testable evidences employed in proving this theory.

This is the wrong approach
You are for sure in good faith but many fundamentalists are not
It makes no sense to ask for for a " testable evidence " of events which occured milion years ago

There are not " evidences " to support the theory of the evolution only " clues "
The point is that all the " clues " converge to the same conclusion
Fundamentalists can try to make a bloody confusion with their smart discussion about the philosophical...pardon... the scientific definition of the term " theory " but all honest people would agree that

" Three clues worth an evidence " ( Italian idiomatic sentence wink )

Useless to say that in this case the clues are hundreds not only three

I make an example

At Darwin's time the age of the earth had been estimated by lord kelvin in some thousand years
Since Lord Kelvin was the max scientific authority ,Darwin himself declared that theory of evolution must be wrong
Some years later it was ascertained that Lord kelvin made a bloody mistake
Our earth is bilion years old ... you see the convergence
Someone else argued that the universe is too small
Some year later it was ascertained that there ar bilions and bilions stars....an other convergence
You get the point

About the book you can read " The making of the fittest " by Sean. B. Carroll but caution , you may be disappointed
He speaks also of the intelligent design smile

Last edited by AlbertoT; 01/30/09 22:15.
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: fastlane69] #478876
01/04/20 01:25
01/04/20 01:25
Chicago, IL
Dooley Offline
User
Dooley  Offline
User

Chicago, IL
I have not visited this thread in a while. I wanted to thank everyone for pointing me in the right direction regarding evolution. Indeed, I read the Origin of Species, the Making of the Fittest and have come to accept the unguided nature of evolution as fact.

However, I still believe in God. And, as a result, I have written up a new idea, based on my delving into procedural design. If you read it, please let me know what you think, and if it can be improved in any way.

https://www.academia.edu/41503763/Generative_Design_and_the_Theory_of_Evolution

Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Dooley] #478883
01/05/20 09:19
01/05/20 09:19
Turkey, Izmir
Emre Offline
User
Emre  Offline
User

Turkey, Izmir
Wow! Isn't this topic too old?

I read your article with the little help of google translate. I respect your thoughts and your effort to seek meaning. i'm muslim too. sort of... i'm not a bigot/fundamentalist.

Sentence from your article. :"In the past, religious Christians, Muslims and people of many other faiths were at the forefront of scientific discovery." This is the most important part of your article. Yeah you are right. In the past, there were lot of scientist, philosopher (also on the muslim side) and they were also beleivers. e.g: Avicenna, Farabi. Why are we different today? Did we get more and more zealous/bigot (or stupid) over time?

Faith is faith, truth is truth. These are different things. It would be stupid behavior, if i refused the scientific facts just because i'm believer. (Well, I'm a believer.) So, here is what i don't understanding: Why do people still fight war in the form of evolution and creationism?

I read all the religious books. Quran, Bible, Old Testament. I also read Darwin's book "Origin of Species", Dawkins' book "The God's Delusion." (this book is also related with subject.) and similar books... I still don't understand why people are so obsessed and why do we feel we have to choose a side?

H.P. Lovecraft says: "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

Maybe we are just afraid. The truth is that we humans are tiny little things in the universe and we don't know anything about hidden side of existence. We also try to add meaning to our existence. We think that religion is shortcut, science is long way for this. That's wrong. Religion/faith isn't shortcut. Maybe they're just some requirements for us to walk on this scientific and realistic loooong road without going crazy.

In connection with the subject, i would like to share an archaeological discovery from my country. it was discovered by German archaeologist Klaus Schmidt. Göbeklitepe may be oldest temple in the world. (10th–8th millennium BCE.) Maybe you might want to take a look.

Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Emre] #478892
01/06/20 23:21
01/06/20 23:21
Chicago, IL
Dooley Offline
User
Dooley  Offline
User

Chicago, IL
I think we are on the same page. I don't think you have to choose a side between religion and science. I believe they are complementary. But you're also right that ignorance has taken a hold of many people, including some religious people, and including some non-religious people. I think we all benefit from having open discussions, especially when we disagree on something. That's the only way to see other perspectives. That doesn't mean we have to agree on everything, but being open is important.

My name is actually Michael Klaus Schmidt, and my father's name was Klaus Schmidt laugh He was not an archeologist though, but that is a pretty amazing discovery!

Thanks for reading my article. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Last edited by Dooley; 01/06/20 23:23.
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Dooley] #479333
03/18/20 15:11
03/18/20 15:11
Turkey, Izmir
Emre Offline
User
Emre  Offline
User

Turkey, Izmir
Originally Posted by Dooley

My name is actually Michael Klaus Schmidt, and my father's name was Klaus Schmidt laugh He was not an archeologist though, but that is a pretty amazing discovery!

That's pretty good coincidence. laugh

Page 67 of 67 1 2 65 66 67

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite