by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Nymphodora), 972 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: CCT PhysX 2.0 [Re: 3run] #480317
05/31/20 13:41
05/31/20 13:41
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
Hey 3run,

Very well rounded controller, actually. Only thing you might want to look in to is moving platform acceleration and air drag.

You can see that on the moving platform; when player jumps while it's moving with the platform, it suddenly stops and jumps in-place, forward movement is not taken in to account. You do not want it to keep that exact same velocity all the way through the jump though, it should degrade over time after you lose contact with the platform, otherwise you would land exactly on the same point in the platform as you started your jump, while the platform has moved. That degradation over time is the air-drag(plus also the fact that platform is not pushing you anymore)

Also, have you considered updating the physx plugin to latest physx versions?

Last edited by Quad; 05/31/20 13:43.

Re: CCT PhysX 2.0 [Re: Quad] #480319
05/31/20 14:00
05/31/20 14:00
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Hey! Thank you for your feedback! laugh

I didn't really think about adding air drag on platforms, but it should be easy (if it's gonna be needed).
Also, platform rotations aren't affecting cct, this shouldn't be really hard to add too (in newer physX sdk this should be handled automatically I guess).
Originally Posted by Quad
Also, have you considered updating the physx plugin to latest physx versions?
Do you mean the latest physX plugin source code, or do you mean SDK 4.1?

Anyway, I couldn't compile physX plugin source code (from the download page), so I used the community version which was made by HeelX.
This means that I can't update my template to use the latest plugin source code with cloth support.

As for updating the whole thing to support SDK 4.1, I don't really see any reasons to do that (would be really time-consuming and pointless).
I'm not even sure that anyone needs all the contributions I'm making lately. grin It feels like throwing everything into the pitch-black pit...
I'm just creating something for myself (projects I have in mind) and sharing it so far. Also learning other engines, so in near future, I might stop using acknex.

Greets!

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: CCT PhysX 2.0 [Re: 3run] #480320
05/31/20 20:13
05/31/20 20:13
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
I meant physx 4.1, but i quickly checked the docs, even though it does not look too bad for 3 -> 4.1, it looks like quite some work for 2.8 -> 3.1.
Still, manageable if you ask me though. Just need time.

Originally Posted by 3run

Anyway, I couldn't compile physX plugin source code (from the download page), so I used the community version which was made by HeelX.
This means that I can't update my template to use the latest plugin source code with cloth support.
Greets!

If that's newer/better or would be nice to have for you, i can compile the source from the download page? (also, is it not the same one that ships with the last version of A8?)

Re: CCT PhysX 2.0 [Re: Quad] #480321
05/31/20 20:48
05/31/20 20:48
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Still, manageable if you ask me though. Just need time.
Yes, it's manageable (especially with the help of Migrating From PhysX SDK 2.x to 3.x). To be honest, I find myself thinking about migration to 3.x from time to time... But still, I stop myself, because I don't see any real reasons to invest my time on it, as it's not the only thing that acknex lacks... And the community is pretty much dead too, I don't see users who need a newer version of physx (unfortunately). So I think that I'd better put that time in learning other engines (Godot, unity) since I want to make money in gamedev industry.

If that's newer/better or would be nice to have for you, i can compile the source from the download page? (also, is it not the same one that ships with the last version of A8?)
Thank you very much for your offer man. I can't really say that I need the one from the download page, if I understood currently, the only difference is that it has cloth... While the one from HeelX works much better with joints. So I'm pretty good with what I have so far.

Btw, If anyone will need the source code of what I've added so far, I could upload it to github.
But I doubt that anyone will ask for it since community and engine is really dead :<

Re: CCT PhysX 2.0 [Re: 3run] #480322
05/31/20 23:15
05/31/20 23:15
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted by 3run

But I doubt that anyone will ask for it since community and engine is really dead :<

Shame really, i just wish oP Group(or whoever owns the engine now) would just release the source code without the parts they can't release. Although it would be nice to have but don't really need lite-c compiler or editor sources.
I do not know for how long but this is the only way to breathe new life to community to make it survive longer imo.

I have like 3 separate editors for a8 that i abandoned for either the same reasons you don't want to create a physx 4.1 wrapper, or some engine limitation being a roadblock, especially renderer and limited resource management aspects makes it hard to do what i want to do. Last thing i remember was that cubemaps were loaded without mipmaps even if the texture was mipmapped, and kludging it from the side is not something i really want to do.

Last edited by Quad; 05/31/20 23:15.

Re: CCT PhysX 2.0 [Re: Quad] #480323
05/31/20 23:26
05/31/20 23:26
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Shame really, i just wish oP Group(or whoever owns the engine now) would just release the source code without the parts they can't release. Although it would be nice to have but don't really need lite-c compiler or editor sources.
I think getting rid of lite-c and making it (at least) pure C would be much better. And as for editor source code, I think no one really needs WED, MED, GED, SED crap nowadays... But yet, jcl doesn't really care about the engine's future, I think he just accepted that it's dead and focused on Zorro thing instead... :sad:

I have like 3 separate editors for a8 that i abandoned for either the same reasons you don't want to create a physx 4.1 wrapper, or some engine limitation being a roadblock, especially renderer and limited resource management aspects makes it hard to do what i want to do. Last thing i remember was that cubemaps were loaded without mipmaps even if the texture was mipmapped, and kludging it from the side is not something i really want to do.
100% I agree with you... gamedev itself is pretty hard in general, I read/see a lot of successful developers losing their motivation overtime on their projects, cause it's not just fun as it used to be at the start... With acknex, this multiplies with endless "underwater rocks" and this just kills all your hope to get something working properly... It's just an endless suffer and struggle grin

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de