by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (degenerate_762, Nymphodora), 1,012 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why gamestudio USE Lite_C #480965
07/28/20 03:20
07/28/20 03:20
China
frankjiang Offline OP
frankjiang  Offline OP

China
Why gamestudio USE Lite_C?
Lite_C is Better,But not like CPP OOP.Why not use Cpp or C# for Script?

development 3d game is interesting!
Re: Why gamestudio USE Lite_C [Re: frankjiang] #480969
07/28/20 07:40
07/28/20 07:40
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
You can use cpp if you want.

Re: Why gamestudio USE Lite_C [Re: frankjiang] #480971
07/28/20 12:40
07/28/20 12:40
Chicago, IL
Dooley Offline
User
Dooley  Offline
User

Chicago, IL
I love Lite-c, and it is the reason I still use 3D Gamestudio. It is so easy to use, and offers much more freedom (in my personal limited experience) than something like Java or C#.

Re: Why gamestudio USE Lite_C [Re: frankjiang] #481028
08/02/20 09:55
08/02/20 09:55
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
After trying Unreal and Unity (and in parts Godot) multiple times each, sometimes for week(s) I chose to write my own engine last year instead. I much prefer basic C or lite-C code over anything else. Coding in Unreal (procedurally generated game(s)) was the least fun I ever had doing game dev (and I love(d) doing proc gen stuff).
My engine is not fully done yet and won't be for a while but it's good enough to make multiple games in, and in a way that's fun for me. It's almost as if I was working with lite-C still but without the hassle (and some neat things such as operator overloading so I can just type vector1 = v2+v3 instead of using the vec_... functions for example).
The most difficult thing for me (minus acceptable collision detection, not using a physics engine) was getting started, opening a window and drawing my first triangle. If you have some time to spare that might be a fun alternative to look into. You don't need to implement all those advanced state of the art features anyway.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Why gamestudio USE Lite_C [Re: frankjiang] #481043
08/03/20 11:49
08/03/20 11:49
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
@Superku Did you use a renderer library? If so, which one?

Past years I built my own renderer in C++ and DirectX11, but I felt like I was limitting myself and in the need of learning to program again at the same time, C++ is great but not easy to master. So I decided to look for other tools and tried many, too many indeed, but did not really get convinced by any. Right now, I am digging into RayLib: an open source, multiplatform, OpenGL based renderer written in C @3Run showed to me some time ago. It is far from been a super-pro game engine but the frustration caused by going from liteC to C is practically non-existent and I have lots of programming fun with it; the main reason I came to these parts at the end. I recommend trying it out if any of you are in the same frame of mind as me.

Re: Why gamestudio USE Lite_C [Re: frankjiang] #481062
08/04/20 14:13
08/04/20 14:13
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
How so did it feel limiting to you?
I'm using C++ but code most/ pretty much all stuff C style. I use DirectX11.1 (or 11.2?) and DirectWrite (D2D) for text rendering. I use SimpleMath ( https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTK/wiki/SimpleMath ) for basic Vector and Matrix operations but that's it, no other libraries.
One of my opt-in renderers which allows dynamic shadow casting lights and decals is somewhat inspired by the Doom 2016 view/ screen space chunk renderer. But I struggled with implementing that for a while, hard to debug the depth related issues so I got fed up with it and turned it into my own world space chunk renderer/ sorter. Much easier to wrap my head around and good enough for the games I want to make.

Regarding RayLib: Interesting! "I have lots of programming fun with it" That's the most important part. laugh My engine is working pretty well so far but of course it's no high end super optimized thing. I much rather take that and a lack of AAA features over having no fun working with let's say Unreal.
Only issue I'm not happy with is that it is Windows only again. But oh well, even releasing a game on Windows alone is struggle enough for one dev/ myself. Maybe I can find someone/ a publisher to port my engine or games some day.

Have fun with making your engine and games!

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Why gamestudio USE Lite_C [Re: Superku] #481070
08/05/20 07:55
08/05/20 07:55
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
The Windows only thing, that is all.

I've read so many comments about the inconvenience of programming C-style with C++ that I fell for it without even thinking about it, but now that you mention it, I thik it would have saved me many headaches along the way. Although I think I'll keep learning modern C++ anyway.

My best wishes for you too laugh

Re: Why gamestudio USE Lite_C [Re: frankjiang] #481071
08/05/20 08:36
08/05/20 08:36
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
@txsemi,

I am also writing my own engine(albeit slowly), adding features as needed (more like at my whim). No real editor, just some decoupled tools to create/test stuff, animation curves, materials etc. Right now i just dump them to a level file and load it to test my stuff.

It's actually mashup of C libraries and mostly written in C with some c++ sprinkled in. I am considering adding lua support . I worked with c + lua in the past in non-game related field, it's a blast and i have quite a good understaing of lua internals and embedding lua. This has to wait until i fully integrate an entity component system library though.

I used bgfx for rendering,glfw for input and windowing, dear imgui for the small tools(eventual editor will also use dear imgui), using flecs for ecs. assimp for importing meshes. some stb_* libraries, probably need to use a skeletal animation library written by someone that understands quaternions and blendspaces better than me.

Re: Why gamestudio USE Lite_C [Re: frankjiang] #481087
08/06/20 09:40
08/06/20 09:40
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
Thanks @Quad! It is nice to know what solutions people choose laugh

bgfx is in my list of futuribles already. I got a bit scared of the lack of documentation and active communities on the theme but I did not rule it out. Your words encourage me to try it again. I actually put some blind trust in the tools that come from the GNOME environment but I need a better knowledge base to be able to make them work properly. Same happens with ClanLib, my other alternative. Regarding UI, I tried GTK+ and Qt and both are very good libraries but decided to fit to ImGui which I am starting to know in depth. Regarding sound and other needs, I did not really search. I saw Assimp as the only selection of everybody on mesh importing, and stb_* libraries are in my list of must to check. I saw entity component systems are widely used and I will probably end using one at some point.

Salud!

Re: Why gamestudio USE Lite_C [Re: txesmi] #481169
08/09/20 16:40
08/09/20 16:40
Turkey, Izmir
Emre Offline
User
Emre  Offline
User

Turkey, Izmir
i'm not sure if it's the right word but i "envy" you guys. (not in a bad way) I'm almost forty. If I could return to my youth, I would definitely go to programming, not music. I would also do my best to learn english well.

Anyway, good luck all three of you with your engines! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HeelX, Lukas, rayp, Rei_Ayanami, Superku, Tobias, TWO, VeT 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de