by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, TipmyPip, Edgar_Herrera), 804 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Few update suggestions #483723
07/17/21 13:33
07/17/21 13:33
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Hey @jcl!

I wanted to suggest two things, which (in my mind) would significantly improve gamestudio user experience yet with minimal effort.

1) - Official Lite-C extension for VSCode. Is it possible to get one from conitec? I started making my own one, but when it came to Lite-C grammar specific things (.tmLanguage.json) I gave up. It doesn't seems to be too hard for a person, who knows all ins and outs of Lite-C to be able to create extension. This would improve coding experience dramatically, since VSCode is featuring all the things (autocompletion, autoformatting instead of indenting, intellisense, etc) that SED is missing. At the end it also could be uploaded to VSCcode marketplace, so all newcomers would be able to set it up within few clicks! Atm, I was able to get Lite-C working with VSCode, but it's not fully working (supported), since I'm using official C extension which doesn't recognize Lite-C specific syntax. It's a bit tricky to get it up and running, and might be difficult for those, who may wanna try acknex out.

2) - Yesterday I've found out, that WED can open quake .map files. After googling for a while, I've came across TrenchBroom which seems to be the best (and modern) mapping tool atm for quake 1. I was able to create a level with it, which then was successfully opened in WED and compiled with the Map Compiler. Player's position was recognized as a camera position, light was recognized correctly as a static light. Even texture alignment worked correctly! Also it turns out that TrenchBroom's source is available on github under GNU General Public License v3.0. Aside from being an open source, TrenchBroom has a powerful manual + dozens of tutorials over the web. It can do anything level designer could only wish for. I think it would be a great replacement for WED and would take minimal effort forking it and adapting to GameStudio needs.

Trailer that shows TrenchBroom features: TrenchBroom 2 Trailer
Source code: TrenchBroom Git

Imported level showing working texture alignment.
[Linked Image]

Best regards!

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: Few update suggestions [Re: 3run] #483744
07/20/21 10:11
07/20/21 10:11
Turkey, Izmir
Emre Offline
User
Emre  Offline
User

Turkey, Izmir
One more suggestion: If there is going to be an update, it would be great if there was a change to make the engine work with 4GB of memory on 64-bit systems. Although this can be done with external tool, it would be good to take care of this while the update is going to be done. I guess it doesn't take much effort to do that either. It also increases the attractiveness of the engine.

Re: Few update suggestions [Re: 3run] #483750
07/20/21 16:15
07/20/21 16:15
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
I'll check that out. Alternatively to VSCode, try Notepad++ that already has a lite-C extension. It's for Zorro, but by replacing the keywords you could use it also with Gamestudio.

Re: Few update suggestions [Re: 3run] #483770
07/22/21 14:37
07/22/21 14:37
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
It took me about 8 hours to get all the keywords (with params, etc) working. So now I have a working notepad++ alternative to SED. But at the end this is not even comparable to VSCode. The main reason is, that you have to type all those keywords by hand, which is a very bad idea. If Zorro or GameStudio will get new features (or old features are going to get removed) this will constantly require the keywords to be added/removed, which is (pardon) a huge pain in the ass. While with VSCode you can simply include the header file (in case with GameStudio it's acknex.h) and everything will work out of the box (autocomplition, highlighting) + it will be easier to maintain future updates. It also helps to navigate your project, because 'include' does indeed include the script file and all of it's variables, functions, etc are becoming available (same reason why it doesn't require any keywords to be added by hand). I'm really sad that I couldn't create an extension for VSCode myself, so I do hope, that you will give it a try. It would work for Zorro and Gamestudio almost without any changes (the only differences it will have will be in compiling the code, means running the script with acknex.exe or zorro.exe).

Screenshots:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Best regards.

Re: Few update suggestions [Re: 3run] #483771
07/23/21 08:21
07/23/21 08:21
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
That's right, we do indeed update NP++ with any new feature. This can not be fully automatized with header files. But if it works automatically with VSCode, then what do you need us to implement?

Re: Few update suggestions [Re: 3run] #483772
07/23/21 08:47
07/23/21 08:47
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
VSCode doesn't fully support LiteC syntax.

What I'm doing atm is:
Code
-Use official C extension from Microsoft
-Define 'include path' to match GameStudio's 'include' folder
-Create 'launch.json' in order to compile the script (acknex.exe and args (filename, -diag, etc))

But this doesn't help with syntax, so I'm getting this kind of issues:
[Linked Image]
This happens with all 'alike' PANEL, TEXT, VIEW, MATERIAL, etc.
It can't auto-format the thing, because it expects ';' at the end of the line (like in C).
This also messes up the reset of the script file, so intellisence won't work correctly.
If you could create official LiteC syntax extension to VSCode, it would work out of the box.

Re: Few update suggestions [Re: 3run] #483797
07/28/21 09:47
07/28/21 09:47
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Originally Posted by LiteC Syntax
type name = value;
type name = { ... }

; Semicolon terminates each instruction or logical line.
{...} Winged brackets enclose structs or instruction lists.

Is there any way to force compiler to accept ';' at the end of the instruction lists?
So it would be:
Code
type name = { ... };
instead of:
Code
type name = { ... }
This would fix a lot of issues that LiteC has with all C/C++ IDE's. Because all C parsers in this case expect the end of the line (;).

Code examples:
Code
ENTITY *ent =
{
    layer = 1;
};

PANEL *pan =
{
    layer = 1;
};

VECTOR *vSpeed =
{
    x = 10;
    y = 20;
    z = 30;
};

ANGLE *aSpeed =
{
    pan = 10;
    tilt = 20;
    roll = 30;
};
Instead of weird
Code
ENTITY *ent =
{
    layer = 1;
}

PANEL *pan =
{
    layer = 1;
}

VECTOR *vSpeed =
{
    x = 10;
    y = 20;
    z = 30;
}

ANGLE *aSpeed =
{
    pan = 10;
    tilt = 20;
    roll = 30;
}

EDIT: I've faced this syntax problem with VSCode in the past, now I'm facing it while getting Geany to work with LiteC.

C parser can't parse this... it goes all the way down till ';' is found at the end of ENTITY* ent_ptr !
[Linked Image]

But it works correctly when everything is closed with ';'
[Linked Image]

Best regards

Last edited by 3run; 07/28/21 10:16.

Re: Few update suggestions [Re: 3run] #483803
07/28/21 15:11
07/28/21 15:11
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
That's nonstandard syntax for bachwards compatibility with WDL. Since we're using the lite-C compiler also for Zorro, its recent versions don't support the WDL-style structs anymore. But I'll add the ending semicolon to the change list for the next Gamestufio update.

Re: Few update suggestions [Re: jcl] #483804
07/28/21 15:33
07/28/21 15:33
Caucasus
3run Offline OP
Senior Expert
3run  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Originally Posted by jcl
I'll add the ending semicolon to the change list for the next Gamstufio update.
This is a great news! Any ideas when new update will be out (at least approximately)? Thank you!

Re: Few update suggestions [Re: 3run] #483812
07/29/21 12:07
07/29/21 12:07
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Afraid not - it might be still a long time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  old_bill, Tobias 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de