by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (PeroPero), 788 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Getting started with GameStudio is easy [Re: Dark_Saber] #484620
11/21/21 07:22
11/21/21 07:22
Turkey, Izmir
Emre Offline
User
Emre  Offline
User

Turkey, Izmir
Originally Posted by Dark_Saber
Is there a list of the terrible bugs somewhere I can look at? For example what in the manual isn't working as stated? I've seen some posts online, elsewhere, where someone who made a game and released it commercially said the pro version of the engine can't handle modern resolutions. I compiled a project at 1080p and it ran just fine on my computer which uses Windows 10 Pro.

I would like to add something on this subject. Most of the bugs are tolerable but they are not few in number. The terrible thing is that the bugs haven't been fixed for years and there is a possibility that there are bugs that are no longer reported. For example, I didn't even bother to report a problem I just discovered. Let me share it here as a sample.

I somehow managed to get a new generation AMD graphics card. After installing, I saw that my old projects were not working on this card. I was getting black screen error. After much effort, I found the cause of the error: Using anisotropic filter (1,4,5,6,7) causes black screen error. I tried all the drivers from AMD but the situation did not change. You can watch the video below;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J3jzUnRMnQ

Also, for some unknown reason, I can't get high performance because the new graphics card doesn't work at full load in some projects. There is definitely something wrong here. All of this may be caused by amd (probably driver issue), or it may be caused by another third party program. Or there may be something JCL can do about it. But in the end, it is clear that these problems will not be fixed. That's why I don't bother to give a feedback/report the bug.

If this situation continues, I'm afraid that with new operating systems and new technologies, and with Gamestudio not adapting to the evolving ecosystem, it will become unusable after a while. Hope that doesn't happen.

For now Gamestudio is still functional, still a powerful and handy engine in its own right. I would say that "old but gold", if it was still updating. It can be recommended for hobby or educational use but for a commercial project, it is more logical to take a look at the engines that are up-to-date and supported.

Wellcome again btw. smile

Re: Getting started with GameStudio is easy [Re: Emre] #484622
11/21/21 13:24
11/21/21 13:24
Chicago, IL
Dooley Offline
User
Dooley  Offline
User

Chicago, IL
I also discovered very poor performance on AMD cards when utilizing a lot of "draw_line" commands. Nvidia handles it perfectly, so I tend to think this is more an issue with AMD than 3DGS (i.e. it's not the only engine that does not perform as well with AMD), but the point stands. If certain functions are no longer considered to be important for card manufacturers, then the engine will definitely suffer.

Re: Getting started with GameStudio is easy [Re: Dark_Saber] #484629
11/22/21 14:22
11/22/21 14:22
Budapest
Aku_Aku Offline
User
Aku_Aku  Offline
User

Budapest
Hi!

I am encouraging you, just use this engine, suit.
It is old, outdated, obsolate and so on... It has issues that is right, I think most of them can overcome.
But making programs for that is fun.
The Lite-C is a strong language and the built-in object system in the engine has lot of features. Combined the two give great freedom to create lot of cool things.
I enjoy the work with that. I am continually develop an application. Maybe that can i share in the future.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de