by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (AndrewAMD, alibaba, Konsti, 2 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 39 40
Map-Editor first official screens #52143
08/19/05 16:45
08/19/05 16:45
Munich, Bavaria, South of Germ...
TripleX Offline OP
Expert
TripleX  Offline OP
Expert

Hey

As some of you know I'm working on an Ingame Map and Material Editor at the moment. There are many Map Editors (especially WED ) around here so maybe you asked why you should use THIS Editor. I'll explain it to you:

The specialty of this editor is, that you do everything ingame. Example: You play your game as normal (to include the editor, you only have to write include <map_editor.wdl>; in your main script) and you run through your level. Suddendly you see a wrong material, a missing/needless model, wrong settings, wrong skills on an entity or sth. like that. In the normal case you would have to quit your game, change the Settings, restart your game, test the settings etc.
With this editor you will only have to click one key and an interface will pop up (game will be frozen). Now you change the specific/wrong setting. After that you make the interface interface invisible by clicking the key again, and now you can play your game with the new settings.

Next specialty. This changes are not only made Ingame. The editor changes the wmp/$$m (for entities) and wdl (for materials) files independantly, and builds at the end of the Game (of course in "entities only" mode.. -> will take only 1-2 seconds).
So after a restart all changes settings (Skills/Positions/Angles/Flags/Material Settings/Create Entities&Materials/ Delted Entities&Materials) are the same as you've setted them in the editor.

At the moment this editor is planed to be free for everyone.

There is still a lot of work to do, but the main and most difficult parts are finished. And never forget.. I'm always looking foreward to further feature-suggestions.
At the end here are some screenshots of the editor:

As always in my Projects: Level/2D graphics by SFMAT4, Programming made by me
have a nice day and sorry for some english grammer/spelling faults.

critisim, suggestions and and and are welcome

Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor first official screens [Re: TripleX] #52144
08/19/05 17:09
08/19/05 17:09
Hilden in Germany
RobH Offline
User
RobH  Offline
User

Hilden in Germany
TripleX, the pics are looking great! Exspecially the panels with materials, lights etc. Are some materials coming with the editor? If not, for the future, can you include a material editor? Hope your programme will be free ( )?

Re: Map-Editor first official screens [Re: RobH] #52145
08/19/05 17:14
08/19/05 17:14
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
This is pretty interesting TripleX, the userinterface looks good and self-explaining. By the way, we can't edit blocks too?

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Map-Editor first official screens [Re: PHeMoX] #52146
08/19/05 17:19
08/19/05 17:19
TripleX Offline OP
Expert
TripleX  Offline OP
Expert

@RobNic Yes free Materials (Bump Mapping, Enviroment Mapping etc.) are planed or already implemented. By the way, a "light" material editor is also already implemented. Have a look at the second screenshot. You can change all these things, and the Shadercode in realtime. Its also planed to load skins etc. for a material.

@PHeMoX Theoretically it would be possible to edit blocks and lights. But you wont see any change because Blocks are not dynamic. You would have to restart the game and build with "build map". This would be nonsense.
Editing Lights however is more interesting. Although i can not edit the old light, i could set a new Dynamic Light. I'll have a look at that.

TripleX

Re: Map-Editor first official screens [Re: TripleX] #52147
08/19/05 17:28
08/19/05 17:28
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

@PHeMoX Theoretically it would be possible to edit blocks and lights. But you wont see any change because Blocks are not dynamic. You would have to restart the game and build with "build map". This would be nonsense.
Editing Lights however is more interesting. Although i can not edit the old light, i could set a new Dynamic Light. I'll have a look at that.
TripleX

Yeah, you're right that would be kinda nonsense then...
As for the lights, you mean the limited-by-8 dynamic lights?
Wouldn't that give problems? Or are you thinking about a kind of preview option with the dynamic light, and then at reloading, there will be a static wed-light? If possible, this could work nicely..

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Map-Editor first official screens [Re: PHeMoX] #52148
08/19/05 17:30
08/19/05 17:30
TripleX Offline OP
Expert
TripleX  Offline OP
Expert

Yep this is exactly what I'm thinking about. The only big problem behind that, will be, that i can not delete the old shadow map so the "old" light will stay on emitting light.

Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor first official screens [Re: TripleX] #52149
08/19/05 17:31
08/19/05 17:31
California, USA
bupaje Offline
Expert
bupaje  Offline
Expert

California, USA
This looks really awesome TripleX! Fantastic. Conitec must hire you.

Ok I'll fire off my first suggestion. Remember I am not a programmer (yet?)

How about creating to save EasyParticles effects with emitter as a 'package' and place them right in here. For example say in this level I want to have some steam leaks from pipes, some electric sparks from broken cable, leaking water, some small gas flames or maybe some smoke in oven maybe you could create these in EP and save it so that instead of adding an entity and assigning an action each time you could import these in a dropdown of 'particle presets' and the user could point and click and place the steam in a few places, the fire, smoke and sparks etc this is more useful to see in game live when you are creating an enviroment or mood. For example you create a dark alley and you can say hmmmm... this would look much scarier with some rain, click add your rain preset that you had made before in EP, hmmm... wonder how it would look with some steam coming out of the manhole cover .... or you are designing a waterfall and want to add a few particle 'splashes' by a few rocks ....

Last edited by bupaje; 08/19/05 18:06.

Find me at: |Stormvisions| Twitter|
Re: Map-Editor first official screens [Re: bupaje] #52150
08/19/05 17:36
08/19/05 17:36
California, USA
bupaje Offline
Expert
bupaje  Offline
Expert

California, USA
and more .....

-might be useful to also be able to edit the speed and any other settings of animated textures, movies if possible as well, and if this includes outdoors the sky. Plenty of times I've put a water texture or clouds etc and they race and have to go back and forth to get it right. I know much will move to shaders but these animated textures are still useful.

-with new decal management system might be useful to be able to place blood, a few bullet holes and other decals on your level live just to create a mood instead of having to paint say one texture without blood and holes and one without. Not sure how effecient decals are etc but just a thought ...

Last edited by bupaje; 08/19/05 17:44.

Find me at: |Stormvisions| Twitter|
Re: Map-Editor first official screens [Re: TripleX] #52151
08/19/05 17:52
08/19/05 17:52
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
hey, you are the coolest guy in town:) i am realy excited about this ingame editor
will there be a file browser for the entities

Re: Map-Editor first official screens [Re: ello] #52152
08/19/05 17:56
08/19/05 17:56
TripleX Offline OP
Expert
TripleX  Offline OP
Expert

Quote:

will there be a file browser for the entities

Would be possible yes. I'll think about that idea (pretty interesting ).

Triple-X

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 39 40

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de