by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,251 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Crew wanted for commercial games company $$$ [Re: anarchie2199] #61552
01/04/06 17:29
01/04/06 17:29
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
DLS, the "friction" you are encountering comes from a community that has been constantly burned by promises such as yours. Every week another new person comes on the boards promising to pay-when-published and every week another pay-when-published project fails. This really hurts the community because alot of people volunteer their time and talent for YOUR BENEFIT and then get no pay off.

My advice is to show some proof that you can accomplish all this.

This can come in several forms, but the most important of which is a Business Plan and the Game Design Document. If you don't have a Business Plan (even a bad one) then you cannot expect others to believe anything business related you say. And if you don't have a GDD, then you cannot expect other to believe anything game related you say.

Another form of proof would be past work and research...have you made a game before...do you know the advantages of 512^2 textures vs 1018^2 textures...do you know the avearage amount of polys for a character...for a building...do you know how many animation frames is appropriete for the job.

An even better form of proof is a complete game you have done in the past in any engine and any language. If you have completed one (or preferably several) game, then it's likely you know what it take to make a game and that adds to your validity.

In short, you have to know everything a Business Man, a Producer, a designer, an artist, and a programmer know if you expect to make this work...nothing less. Demonstrate that you have most of these skills and people will flock to you. Fail to do this and expect more derision.

ABOUT PAY: You cannot expect people to put in one hour a day for you. That would make them employees of your company and like jetpack alludes to, you would then be liable for a number of benefits towards your employees and a number of taxes to the government. What you need to do is hire your team as FREELANCERS or INDIEPENDENT CONTRACTORS (same thing btw) and then all you pay is per project. Furthermore, your numbers need to be more solid. If you pay around 7 USD per talent and you have 5 people working for you, that's 35 USD per copy going to your developers leaving 5 USD for your profit and operating expenses (or rather the other way around since the Cost of Goods on a single copy can be a few cents for online to more than 5 USD for offline copies).

TO OTHERS PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE:
Please, if you are going to comment on a new project, explain yourselves constructively. Some of these posts are worse than useless to the original poster and the community and come REALLY close to violating forum rules.

Re: Crew wanted for commercial games company $$$ [Re: anarchie2199] #61553
01/05/06 04:04
01/05/06 04:04
dls Offline OP
dls  Offline OP

How would you know. "Wake up"
I'm 22 by the way.

Re: Crew wanted for commercial games company $$$ [Re: dls] #61554
01/05/06 04:26
01/05/06 04:26
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
a short note from my side:
The average units price the game developers will get ranges from 1-5 dollars a unit. Most is kept by others.
Indy platforms offer ratios of arround 10$ per unit max (if you are lucky and your promotion partner an idiot )

if you host the game by yourself. well no promotions no sales. I think a clown who sells burges said that once.
If on the other hand you take the publishing part this will cost you lots of money.

if you are giving away one buck a person a unit.... i think you got the point.

just rethink that as well

cheers and have a nice one

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: Crew wanted for commercial games company $$$ [Re: dls] #61555
01/05/06 08:03
01/05/06 08:03
München
anarchie2199 Offline
Serious User
anarchie2199  Offline
Serious User

München
Antwort auf:

How would you know. "Wake up"
I'm 22 by the way.

Antwort auf:

The average units price the game developers will get ranges from 1-5 dollars a unit. Most is kept by others.
Indy platforms offer ratios of arround 10$ per unit max (if you are lucky and your promotion partner an idiot )

if you host the game by yourself. well no promotions no sales. I think a clown who sells burges said that once.
If on the other hand you take the publishing part this will cost you lots of money.

That's what I meant with "wake up". It's nearly impossible to give 7 dollars to one person in a 8 person team. Also if only one gets 7 dollars.

MFG,
Punker.

aktuelle Projekte: Medizinstudium
Re: Crew wanted for commercial games company $$$ [Re: anarchie2199] #61556
01/05/06 08:41
01/05/06 08:41
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
$40 per copy. for a 3dgs game. i didnt saw any game here (i may be wrong) that was in that price class:)

www.earthcontrol.de
quoted: We want to maintain a clean, decent, American family suited forum look... which means you may post zombies or chainsaw massacres, but no erotic.
Re: Crew wanted for commercial games company $$$ [Re: ello] #61557
01/05/06 12:30
01/05/06 12:30
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline
Serious User

United Kingdom
In all seriousness I have to say that these guys are right.

A good couple of years ago now, when I joined the GS community I had some big ideas, and was confident that I could produce a multi-million dollar smash hit game. I had a good concept, found my market niche, spent 12 months developing it and trying to get more people involved in my fantastic idea..... Then THQ released Dawn of War, which is a excellently developed title, and realised not only had I missed the boat, but that what I was developing, wouldn't have even got my a ticket at the dock, let alone beaten them for the contract bid!

During this time I posted similiar things, asking for people to join up on a, I'll pay you when we're all rich type approach. I can say that at the time I was very serious and truly believed that this would work....

2 Years on, after working free with a small developer who sold a million copies of a AAA game, on most platforms.... I can now look back and see just how nieve I was.

Developing a title is nothing like what I expected back then. I have learned about the value of a business plan. For the record, a business plan is not one document and it's not just financial.

The Business Plan, is your bible. It's your collection of everything, your proof-of-concept (the GS powered bit), means nothing without the concept. After all that's why its called a 'proof' of concept. If you want serious people to be envolved in your project, they would expect milestones, targets at the very least a list of things that will be needed to complete the proof.

If you have ideas about merchandising, storylines, model style, multiplay, promotion, sound effects, actors, music......write them down, organise your thoughts. Then invite people to read it, ok get them to sign a simple NDA first to protect your idea, but give them something they can take away, and think about.

I have learned this lesson and I am still paying for the mistakes I made then. My small indi development house have got a couple of very promising projects on the burner, which would benefit from the aid of the experts here at GS, but due to my record, all be it one flopped project, I still have a lot of respect to earn back

TBH: Thats the number one lesson I have learned in the last 2 years away from GS: Eat a little humble pie and remind yourself you don't know it all. Hope you take that in the way it was intended

The Art of Conversation is dead : Discuss
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  checkbutton, Inestical, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de