by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (alibaba, howardR, basik85278), 756 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: Kotakide] #64758
07/11/06 08:10
07/11/06 08:10
Australia
DavidLancaster Offline
User
DavidLancaster  Offline
User

Australia
I even get lost and confused looking at the zelda code

PM me if you need any help integrating that camera orange_brat, fyi it's controlled in the pan_back function.

Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: DavidLancaster] #64759
07/11/06 10:39
07/11/06 10:39
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

I recall pinpointing the code a few months/weeks ago, but I'll have to jump back in. If you could possibly PM me the exact lines that handle wall collision/avoidance I'd appreciate it. I'm in no hurry, and you can always decline, too.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: Orange Brat] #64760
07/12/06 11:03
07/12/06 11:03
Australia
DavidLancaster Offline
User
DavidLancaster  Offline
User

Australia
I'm not sure if this would be useful to you at all, but it's the latest animation technique I've come across. The great thing about it is that I can control any entities animation simply by calling one function each frame for that entity.

This function would be called from a loop each frame:
handle_animation(1);

Now if at any point I want to change an animation I simply set say:
my.animate2 = 0;
my.animblend = blend;
my.blendframe = walk;

Now the entity will blend to the walk animation and then cycle the walk animation.

To get a little more complex, here is how I am using the code in a game we are currently developing:

Code:

IF (my.move_x != 0 || my.move_y != 0) { //if we are moving
IF (my.animblend == stand) { //if our current animation is stand
my.animate2 = 0;
my.animblend = blend; //blend and cycle to the walk or run animation depending on whether we are holding shift or not
IF ((key_pressed(key_for_str(key__shift)) == on || key_pressed(key_for_str(key__shift2)) == on)) { my.blendframe = walk; } ELSE { my.blendframe = run; }
}
IF (my.animblend == run && (key_pressed(key_for_str(key__shift)) == on || key_pressed(key_for_str(key__shift2)) == on)) {
my.animate2 = 0; //if we are cycling the run animation and are not pressing shift blend and cycle to the walk animation
my.animblend = blend;
my.blendframe = walk;
}
IF (my.animblend == walk && (key_pressed(key_for_str(key__shift)) == off && key_pressed(key_for_str(key__shift2)) == off)) {
my.animate2 = 0;
my.animblend = blend;
my.blendframe = run;
}
handle_footsteps();
} ELSE {
IF (my.animblend > stand) { //if we arn't moving and our current animation is walk or run blend and cycle the stand animation
my.animate2 = 0;
my.animblend = blend;
my.blendframe = stand;
}
}

Code:

DEFINE animate,SKILL31;
DEFINE animate2,SKILL32;
DEFINE animblend,SKILL33;
DEFINE currentframe,SKILL34;
DEFINE blendframe,SKILL35;

DEFINE blend,-1;
DEFINE stand,0;
DEFINE run,1;
DEFINE walk,2;

FUNCTION handle_animations(animation_speed) {
IF (animation_speed <= 0) { animation_speed = 1; }
IF (my.animblend == blend) {
IF (my.currentframe == stand) { ent_animate(my,"stand",my.animate,anm_cycle); }
IF (my.currentframe == run) { ent_animate(my,"run",my.animate,anm_cycle); }
IF (my.currentframe == walk) { ent_animate(my,"walk",my.animate,anm_cycle); }
IF (my.blendframe == stand) { ent_blend("stand",0,my.animate2); }
IF (my.blendframe == run) { ent_blend("run",0,my.animate2); }
IF (my.blendframe == walk) { ent_blend("walk",0,my.animate2); }
my.animate2 += 45 * time;
IF (my.animate2 >= 100) {
my.animate = 0;
IF (my.blendframe == stand) { my.animblend = stand; }
IF (my.blendframe == run) { my.animblend = run; }
IF (my.blendframe == walk) { my.animblend = walk; }
}
}
IF (my.animblend == stand) {
ent_animate(my,"stand",my.animate,anm_cycle);
my.animate += 0.8 * animation_speed * time;
my.animate %= 100;
my.currentframe = stand;
}
IF (my.animblend == run) {
ent_animate(my,"run",my.animate,anm_cycle);
my.animate += 6.8 * animation_speed * time;
my.animate %= 100;
my.currentframe = run;
}
IF (my.animblend == walk) {
ent_animate(my,"walk",my.animate,anm_cycle);
my.animate += 8 * animation_speed * time;
my.animate %= 100;
my.currentframe = walk;
}
}

Last edited by AxysPhenomenon; 07/12/06 11:04.
Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: DavidLancaster] #64761
07/12/06 15:43
07/12/06 15:43
G
Grafton Offline
User
Grafton  Offline
User
G

Short, sweet and easy to understand snippit there AxysPhenomenon! And it works very well!
Thanks a million!

Not two, not one.
Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: DavidLancaster] #64762
07/13/06 03:39
07/13/06 03:39
jamrud khatulistiwa
Kotakide Offline
Kotakide  Offline

jamrud khatulistiwa
I'm not a programmer, but judge from the look at the code,
is very clean and sharp. it's getting better and better everyday.
i'll just sit and wait you to release the demo using this code .

Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: Kotakide] #64763
07/13/06 22:27
07/13/06 22:27
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

My first attempts at using the Zelda code in mine were comical to say the least. I'll try again later.

I'll also investigate that blending technique. That looks much more elegant and cleaner than what I have now. It also appears that it might be easier to add different animation modes easier(duck, jump, etc). For mine, you have to virtually double the size of the script to add something new.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: Orange Brat] #64764
07/24/06 01:55
07/24/06 01:55
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Here's a special version of the this system that doesn't use the c_instructions. It uses good ol' trace and ent_move. Some pre-6.31 users have problems with the official version:

http://www.geocities.com/hainesrs/special_blending.zip
http://www.geocities.com/hainesrs/special_blending.rar - same as ZIP only half the file size

I think I may have added gamepad support for movementType 0(behind the back at all times camera), but I'm not sure if it's bugfree yet(edit: it isn't and mode 2 is screwy too). I took a 1 week break from this thing, so I don't know which way is up at the moment. BTW, the defaults on this "special" version are movementType 4, so it's in gamepad only, camera relative mode. The two analog stick control movement and camera and the 4 buttons on top of the controller also control the camera. Button 4(on my pad) is the run key(more like a walk key since it only work when the player is running..the sticks are touch sensitive). Defaults can be changed in "main.wdl."

Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: Orange Brat] #64765
08/13/06 01:29
08/13/06 01:29
eleroux Offline
eleroux  Offline

Hey Orange Brat!

I am just studying this code and I found it's great!
I am adapting the camera style to that one in games like 'thief3', which is a combination of MovementType 0 and 3. (The camera orbits with the mouse, but the player model keeps its orientation, like a freelook. But when the player hits a key or a mouse button, the player model makes a turn to get aligned to the camera target direction, as to run/walk/strafe/attack in the direction the camera is looking).

I only found a strange thing at the end of moveCam():

Code:

c_trace(cam_centre.x,cam_pos.x, ignore_me + ignore_passable + ignore_models + ignore_sprites);
if(trace_hit == 0) // trace hit something
{
vec_diff(temp.x,cam_pos.x,target.x);
vec_diff(cam_pos.x,cam_pos.x,temp.x);
}

vec_set(camera.x,cam_pos.x);

trace_hit should be -1 or 1 when c_trace hits something! Why is it tested against Zero? However, I tried (trace_hit !=0) and it never was TRUE. I made a test, and found out that trace_hit is always zero.

My guess is that someone quick-fixed a non working IF by changing it to (trace_hit == 0) as a test, and since it worked, it was left as it is. But what is inside the brackets is executed all the time anyway! The IF could be completely removed.

So why this is working anyway? I traced the code, and it works because, when c_trace fails the hit, target.x gets the same value of cam_pos. So...

vec_diff(temp.x,cam_pos.x,target.x); //temp.x gets a value of {0,0,0}
vec_diff(cam_pos.x,cam_pos.x,temp.x); //cam_pos is not changed.

When the c_trace HITS something, the same two instructions do change cam_pos value.

What puzzles me is that the trace_hit var is just not working after c_trace. Would this be a bug?

Regards,
Emilio

EDIT EDIT EDIT
I just added the cam code to a new, clean project, and it works as expected. It seems there's something in the test level you sent that prevents trace_hit to work.

For my project to work, I just had to change the line:

if(trace_hit != 0) // trace hit something

Last edited by eleroux; 08/13/06 02:26.
Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: eleroux] #64766
08/13/06 03:15
08/13/06 03:15
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

You're right about the trace_hit part. I've known about it for some time, and I have no idea what's going on with it. When you say you added to a clean project, did you use the complete code I provide or just the camera? In the current level if it is set to !=0 the camera will go right into walls but at ==0 it collides which is the exact opposite of what should happen.

There's probably some bugs with mode 0 on the gamepad side of things. I haven't attempted to fix them yet. Same goes for mode 1. Also, I learned that with different kinds of gamepads/sticks there are different rules that must be followed. Not every pad's maximum is -255-255 when the analog stick is depressed. Sometimes, I'm understanding that it's the opposite. One of the recent contest entries has some auto-joystick/pad detection code, and I may study it further for inclusion one day.

Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: Orange Brat] #64767
08/13/06 12:42
08/13/06 12:42
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

One quick info. update. I finally got motivated and am tinkering with the free, open source Intense Pathfinding from Larry Laffer and RAFU. It'll be movementType 5 once I get it in place. I have everything in place(per the supplied documentation), however I'm having trouble getting my graph to build. No crashing or errors..just nothing, yet. Once I get it working in the test level with their supplied movement code, I'll attempt the transition to my own code.

Once completed, I'll try and address any additional bugs or issues that are still outstanding. Of course, I will seek permission to release the Intense integration before uploading. If they say no, then at least there will be the fixes and or new stuff.

@eleroux: Once you get that Thief3 cam working, I'd like to take a look at it if you don't mind. That may become movementType 6 or better yet I'll just make it a feature of type 3 and 4.

As for wall collision, the Zelda movement/cam thread code is the best. Here's the raw code for anyone who wants to take a crack at it. None of this is mine, and I'm wanting to integrate it into my "cam.wdl" at some point, so the system will have perfect wall collision. The current version glides along surfaces but it clips like every other camera out there(except Zelda thus the reason I want to splice it in).

Anyway, it's in two chunks...the first one is REALLY raw and has lines that would need to be eliminated or else they'll conflict with what I've already got in place(like the cam_height stuff in chunk 1...the current cam_pos.z trig lines will work for this...it's just a matter of porting my method into this one and making it all gel). The 2nd part is more refined. Good luck to anyone who wants to try and tame this. We'll all owe you big time(note that it uses old trace/ent_move...my code uses c_trace and c_move, however I have set enable_polycollision to 0.5 so it still behaves like the old instructions). Keep in mind that the goal is simply to get it to where the camera neer clips into the geometry under any circumstances. There may be lines that mimic the Zelda style camera movement(it's wonky compared to my more traditional motion), so if something in this script makes it do the wonky dance, then it should be gutted:

Code:
Below is the code which handles camera collision in the zelda code, it has been a long time since I looked at this and even now I'm not sure why some instructions and calculations are being used. I went through and commented what I thought was going on in certain places, it may not make sense, somethings confuse me alot.

Hope it helps.

David

//where camera.pan is being used in trigonometry calculations, the value used to be cam_xyangle in the zelda code, I'm not exactly sure if changing it to camera.pan will work or not

//

FUNCTION pan_back() 
{
	//cam height is the height the camera is relative to the player's z coordinte
        cam_height -= mouse_force.y * 40 * time; 
        cam_height = clamp(cam_height, -150, 300);

//dist_total is the radius the camera is from the player
	vec_set(temp.x, vector(player.x - fcos(camera.pan, dist_total - 10), player.y - fsin(camera.pan, dist_total - 10), player.z + cam_height));  //find the camera position 10 quants behind the camera (not sure why I'm tracing 10 quants behind the camera, would be better to use vec_add rather than just the x and y component)		

vec_diff(temp2.x,player.x,temp.x); //from behind the camera to the player
	vec_normalize(temp2.x,16); //set vector to magnitude of 16
	vec_add(temp.x,temp2.x); //set temp.x 16 quants longer, so we are tracing 16 quants behind the camera

trace_mode = ignore_me + ignore_passable;
	trace (player.x,temp.x); //trace from the player to the camera position, this trace is used to calculate planar_to and camera_move_to.z

dist_traced = sqrt((target.x - player.x)*(target.x - player.x)+(target.y - player.y)*(target.y - player.y));

IF (dist_traced &gt; 0) //if the trace hit a wall
        { 
		vec_set(temp.x,target.x);
		vec_diff(temp2.x,player.x,target.x); //vector from trace hit point to the player
		vec_normalize(temp2.x,16); //normalize vector
		vec_add(temp.x,temp2.x); //move temp.x 16 quants behind target.x
		result = sqrt((temp.x - my.x)*(temp.x - my.x) + (temp.y - my.y)*(temp.y - my.y));
		IF (result &lt; dist_total) 
                { 
                   planar_to = result; //planar_to is the radius at which the camera moves to, if the calculated distance from the camera to the player is less than the maximum distance the camera could possibly be, not exactly sure why this if statement is being used
                } 
	} 
        ELSE 
        {
           planar_to = dist_total;
	}

camera_move_to.z = target.z; //camera_move_to vector is the coordinates at which the camera smoothly moves to, z component is calculate instantly whilst x and y are calculated differently
           player.z -= 15; //temporarily changed so that camera focusus slightly above middle

var temp2[3];

vec_set(temp2,camera.x);
           vec_set(temp,my.x);
           vec_sub(temp,temp2.x);
           vec_to_angle(temp.pan,temp);
           camera.tilt = temp.tilt + 7;  //this causes the camera to tily towards the player

//this smoothly moves dist_planar to the planar_to variable (the radius the camera is from the player)

IF (abs(dist_planar - planar_to) &gt; 2) 
        {
           cradius_speed = (dist_planar - planar_to) / -1;

} 
        ELSE 
        {
           cradius_speed = 0;
           my.skill15 = 0;
	}

MY.skill15 += (TIME * cradius_speed)  - (min(TIME*0.7,1) * my.skill15);
	dist_planar += MY.skill15  * TIME;
	dist_planar = planar_to;

//tracing from camera to below the camera to see if the camera is on the ground

trace_mode = ignore_me + ignore_passable;
	result = trace (vector(camera.x,camera.y,player.z + 15),vector(camera.x,camera.y,camera.z + 5));

IF (result &gt; 0) &amp;&amp; (cam_height &gt; result - 5) 
        { 
           cam_height = result - 5; 
        }  //if we have traced something place the camera above it

camera_move_to.x = player.x - dist_planar * cos(camera.pan); //set the value at which the camera needs to smoothly move to
	camera_move_to.y = player.y - dist_planar * sin(camera.pan);

//this is similar code to the template camera, the camera needs to be at the camera_move_to coordinates, this traces at a position, which smoothly moves towards the camera_move_to, and places the camera at the target.x vector, this works well because instead of placing the camera ta camera_move_to, it traces at a position which smoothly moves to camera_move_to

// move towards target position

//camera_smooth_to vector smoothly but quicly moves towards the camera_move_to.x variable (the position the camera should be)

temp2 = min(1,0.5 * time);    // value of 1 places us at target, this value is what allows the smooth movement
	camera_smooth_to.x += temp2*(camera_move_to.x - camera_smooth_to.x); //the bigger the gap between camera_move_to.x - camera_smooth_to.x, the faster the camera moves
	camera_smooth_to.y += temp2*(camera_move_to.y - camera_smooth_to.y);
	camera_smooth_to.z += temp2*(camera_move_to.z - camera_smooth_to.z);

// keep camera from penetrating walls

vec_diff(temp2.x,camera_smooth_to.x,player.x); //find vector from player to the positoin the camera should be
	vec_normalize(temp2.x,16); //move vector 16 quants behind camera
	vec_add(temp2.x,camera_smooth_to.x);	// temp2 = temp_cdist + 16 units away from view target

me = player;

trace_mode = ignore_me + ignore_passable + ignore_models + ignore_sprites;
	IF (trace(player.x,temp2.x) &gt; 0)  
        { //trace from the player to the position 16 quants behind the camera
    	  //if the trace hit a wall
           vec_diff(temp2.x,player.x,target.x); //from player to the target position
           vec_normalize(temp2.x,16);
           vec_set(camera.x,target.x); //set camera at the traced position
           vec_add(camera.x,temp2.x);
 	} 
        ELSE 
        {
           //if the trace has not hit something set the camera to camera_smooth_to;
           vec_set(camera.x,camera_smooth_to.x);
	}
}

Code:
Hey OB

Sorry for the late reply.

I hope this works, this is very simple camera movement which should work with any entity, just have the player call handle_camera(); from it's main loop. And it should work. Although simple camera collision may be more effective, so I've added something like that further below.

Let me know how it goes.

David

var camera_move_to[3];
var camera_smooth_to[3];
var camera_distance = 200;
var camera_pan;
var camera_tilt;

FUNCTION handle_camera() 
{

camera_pan -= mouse_force.x * 12 * time_step;
	camera_tilt += mouse_force.y * 8 * time_step;
	camera_tilt = clamp(camera_tilt,-30,10);
	camera.pan = camera_pan;
	temp = fcos(camera_tilt,-camera_distance);
	vec_set(camera_move_to.x,vector(my.x + fcos(camera.pan,temp),my.y + fsin(camera.pan,temp),my.z + 20 + fsin(camera_tilt,-camera_distance)));

//this is similar code to the template camera, the camera needs to be at the camera_move_to coordinates, this traces at a position, which smoothly moves towards the camera_move_to, and places the camera at the target.x vector, this works well because instead of placing the camera ta camera_move_to, it traces at a position which smoothly moves to camera_move_to

// move towards target position
	temp = min(1,0.5 * time);    // value of 1 places us at target, this value is what allows the smooth movement
	camera_smooth_to.x += temp*(camera_move_to.x - camera_smooth_to.x);
	camera_smooth_to.y += temp*(camera_move_to.y - camera_smooth_to.y);
	camera_smooth_to.z += temp*(camera_move_to.z - camera_smooth_to.z);

// keep camera from penetrating walls
	vec_diff(temp.x,camera_smooth_to.x,my.x);
	vec_normalize(temp.x,16);
	vec_add(temp.x,camera_smooth_to.x);	// temp2 = temp_cdist + 16 units away from view target

trace_mode = ignore_me + ignore_passable + ignore_models + ignore_sprites;
	IF (trace(my.x,temp.x) &gt; 0) 
        {

vec_diff(temp.x,my.x,target.x);
		vec_normalize(temp.x,16);
		vec_set(camera.x,target.x);
		vec_add(camera.x,temp.x);

} 
        ELSE 
        {
		vec_set(camera.x,camera_smooth_to.x);
	}

vec_diff(temp.x,my.x,camera.x);
	vec_to_angle(temp.pan,temp.x);
	camera.pan = temp.pan;
	camera.tilt = temp.tilt;
}

FUNCTION handle_camera() 
{
	camera.pan -= mouse_force.x * 12 * time_step;
	camera.tilt += mouse_force.y * 8 * time_step;
	camera.tilt = clamp(camera.tilt,-30,10);
	temp = fcos(camera.tilt,-camera_distance);
	vec_set(camera.x,vector(my.x + fcos(camera.pan,temp),my.y + fsin(camera.pan,temp),my.z + 20 + fsin(camera.tilt,-camera_distance)));

vec_diff(temp.x,camera.x,my.x); //find the vector from the player to the camera
	vec_normalize(temp.x,16); //get the magnitude of it's vector to 16 quants and store it in temp
	vec_add(temp.x,camera.x); //add the vector (from player to camera) of a magnitude of 16 quants and add it to the camera's position.

trace_mode = ignore_me+ignore_passable;
	result = trace(my.x,temp.x); //trace from the player to 16 quants behind the camera.
	IF (result &gt; 0) 
        {
		vec_diff(temp.x,my.x,target.x); //find the vector from the point the trace hit to the player
		vec_normalize(temp.x,16); //get the magnitude of this vector to 16 quants and store in temp
		vec_set(camera.x,target.x); //place the camera at the trace hit point
		vec_add(camera.x,temp.x); //move the camera away from the wall by the vector temp, 16 quants towards the player

}

}

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de