by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Nymphodora, AndrewAMD, Quad, TipmyPip), 889 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: eleroux] #64768
08/14/06 09:24
08/14/06 09:24
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Quote:

trace_hit should be -1 or 1 when c_trace hits something! Why is it tested against Zero? However, I tried (trace_hit !=0) and it never was TRUE. I made a test, and found out that trace_hit is always zero.

I figured this out. I have "enable_polycollision" set to 0.5. This treats the c_instructions like old style collision and does not disable the physics engine. Setting it to 0 will disable the physics engine. If you set that var to 1 or 2 the trace_hit != 0 will work as expected. I don't know if this is a bug or simply how it is supposed to behave. I think I'll report this one and see what the answer is.

EDIT: It's not a bug, however jcl said he will tweak it if it is easy to do. Otherwise, a clarification will be made in the manual.

As for the Intense Pathfinding integration: I have it in place and working using LL's movement code. It seems that IPF also does not like enable_polycollision set below 1 so I may have to change somethings around unless LL can make it work with <1 settings. Anyway, my next step is to make it work with my own movement code. It's not that complicated, yet it's a bit tricky at the same time. Also, I noticed that my fps drops to 50 when using IPF. I don't know if this is the pathfinding itself or its dependence on a modified set of new template files. I recall a significiant fps drop when using older versions of the new templates, so perhaps I'll get those 10 fps back when I port it over to my setup.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: Orange Brat] #64769
08/15/06 03:40
08/15/06 03:40
eleroux Offline
eleroux  Offline

Quote:

When you say you added to a clean project, did you use the complete code I provide or just the camera?

Just the camera code. But I see you solved that!

Actually, I typed in my own camera code line by line, based on yours for the most part. I skipped the 'modes', and ended up with an hybrid 0 and 3 modes. The camera never gets aligned to the player. The camera goes first, then the player uses the camera direction as pan force. This way the camera can pan quickly even while the player struggles to keep up. And in my game I am only rotating the player if he moves. In other words, if the user rotates the camera with the mouse but the entity is standing still, it's like a free look. You can see your character's face. But if you press the Forward key, the character quickly turns back and runs away from you. The same happens when strafing - it turns, then strafes.

I didnt use the blending/ animate code yet: I am solving some player Movement issues with slopes first. It seems to be the problem with new ellipsoid collision: if you prevent the entity to climb steep slopes, it will also stop going upstairs, because the ellipsoid c_moving against a stairstep edge can return a very steep surface 'normal' depending on the step height.

I am relatively new to 3dgs (NOT a former A5 user) and I'm reading all I can about the new c_move and c_trace etc. But I think I'm doing well so far.

|Emilio|

Last edited by eleroux; 08/15/06 03:45.
Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: eleroux] #64770
08/15/06 03:51
08/15/06 03:51
eleroux Offline
eleroux  Offline

Only a small contribution... if could be useful.

This is the code I included to convert the difference between camera and player.pan into a rotating force, limited to the character._turnspeed

Code:

//Only pan player when walking/attacking etc.
if ( my._state !=0 )
{

mPlayer_force.pan = (camera.pan - my.pan);

//if difference > 180 degrees, change to turn other side.
mPlayer_force.pan -= (abs(mPlayer_force.pan) > 180)* sign(mPlayer_force.pan)*360;

//Limite to maximum entity _turnspeed
my._panspeed = sign(mPlayer_force.pan)*min(my._turnspeed,abs(mPlayer_force.pan))*time_step;
}
else
{
my._panspeed = 0;
}

this rotating force is later used when moving the player (c_rotate)

Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: eleroux] #64771
08/15/06 04:24
08/15/06 04:24
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Regarding stairs, I think new collision is a bit wonky with them. This is one reason why I'm using the old AABB style collision with the c_instructions. It just works better with this particular code(no camera jerks/stuttering), plus it's faster. One trick with stairs is to make all of them passable and include an invisible ramp where the stairs are located. It gives the illusion that the player is ascending the staircase but uses the smooth slope instead of the jagged stairs. It's a cheat, but it works for the most part. It can work even better if you make a stair climbing animation for the player, but that would require some more work and timing issues. I suppose you could place a vertex(or two) on each stair and make sure a specially placed vertex on the bottom of the player's feet connects with the stair ones. This would keep the feet on the stairs, but I think this is overkill and really not needed at all if you're doing a fast paced game.

I'm going to investigate the alternate blending code from earlier in this thread. It's much easier to read and appears that it would easier to add new modes to...plus it's just plain shorter. I think I'll do that first thing.

Regarding your snippet...where do you place it in the code?

Oh, and jcl has apparently fixed the enable_polycollision problem. The newest beta feature is allowing AABB to influence the trace_hit. I'm glad I reported it, now. Perhaps, this will also allow Intense Pathfinding to also use this setting, too. Good news if true.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: Orange Brat] #64772
08/15/06 06:23
08/15/06 06:23
eleroux Offline
eleroux  Offline

Yeah! The famous invisible ramp trick... I have read about it in some threads.

However... Invisible blocks are also passable! And setting the ramp surfaces to None renders holes in the other blocks (floor, stair steps). How is this ramp implemented, please?

The code snippet I posted before is just after defining Player's forces. But it uses skills and variables I defined before. It's just an example of how this rotation force can be defined, and some tricks to keep this rotating force in the right direction.

Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: eleroux] #64773
08/15/06 06:57
08/15/06 06:57
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Don't set anything to none...just invisible. It shouldn't be passable, unless of course the new collision makes it this way. You might have to make it a map entity with c_instructions(which I hate and I don't understand why this restriction popped up with the collision. I liked just setting a level block and going on from there...now there are 3-4 extra steps involved).

Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: Orange Brat] #64774
08/15/06 12:47
08/15/06 12:47
eleroux Offline
eleroux  Offline

From the manual (block properties):

INVISIBLE: invisible obstacles. Note that invisible blocks are also not detected by trace() instructions. If a block should be invisible, but detected by trace() , use the None texture flag instead.

I have confirmed that invisible blocks are just trespassed with c_move.
On the other hand, the suggestion of using the None texture is no good.

I am not sure if I want to convert all my ramps into map entities! Isn't that a lot of work? There should be an easier way.

Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: eleroux] #64775
08/15/06 13:31
08/15/06 13:31
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Neat!

I think it would benefit new users and old if there were more comments throughout the code to explain what's going on.

Awesome contribution!

Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: JetpackMonkey] #64776
08/15/06 15:41
08/15/06 15:41
eleroux Offline
eleroux  Offline

This is perhaps a bit 'unortodox' but I found out I can use a SPRITE as an invisible ramp. I only need a sprite in the right proportions of the stair (say, 1x5) and make it invisible and Polygon ON. I can then scale and rotate the sprite to match the stairs.
A bit odd, but far easier than creating map entities, and I bet they build level and also realtime-render faster.

Invisible entities are not ignored by c_move/c_trace. Invisible blocks are.
I'd really like it wasn't that way. What are the possible uses of an invisible block, other than blocking movement? What is the difference between an invisible block and a deleted block?

Re: Animation frames blending, player input/physic [Re: eleroux] #64777
08/15/06 19:36
08/15/06 19:36
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

It used to be different. You could make a ramp block, set it to invisible, and it could be used with stairs. This was with trace, and I remember my invisible collision geometry not working when I used early versions of c_trace; thus I kept on using trace. However, trace and ent_move are deprecated, so I've switched to c_trace/c_move but keeping enable_polycollision at 0.5. Now, that jcl is going to allow trace_hit to be changed by AABB, I can keep old, faster collision.

I've never used a sprite for collision, and I was told to simply make a map entity out of my ramps or any other invisible collision geometry for c_instruction use. It creates unnecessary extra steps and take more time. I use quite a bit of invisible collision hulls(in my full levels) because of some of my oddball geometry, so it's going to take forever and a day for me to convert everything over. Lots of extra files to deal with...I can't wait.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de