Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, 7th_zorro), 923 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: jcl] #66556
03/30/06 15:44
03/30/06 15:44
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Indeed, science has nothing to say on whether God exists or not. It does, however, give lie to the literal truth of creation stories in Genesis and in other religions. Some poeple think that to accept this, you must reject all of a religion, although logic doesnt really indicate that. The mainstream of Christians for instance, have learned to accept the Bible as an old group of texts, written and compiled by different poeple, and that many parts of it cannot be taken literally, because they are obviously untrue. The message is what is important, not the exact stories.

Poeple like to pick on evolution because they beleive it is hard to defend, because you cant go outside and observe evolution. But in fact this is not really the case. You can observe the effects of evolution in the anatomy of living creatures, just as you can know that world is very ancient by looking at the way water has eroded the land it flows through, the way mountains have risen and fallen, and risen again.

To say that we must ignore out intelligence and our perceptions is to ignore what faculties we possess at birth. Some would say God gave you a brain, so use it. Does God want you to live with your head stuck in the sand, believing that man is so special he cant possibly be related to other living things? Learn some humility.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #66557
03/30/06 16:13
03/30/06 16:13
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
I accept the age of the universe and the age of the earth, although I doubt radiometric dating methods because of the massive amounts of inconsistencies and contradictions. However I can see the age of the universe and the big bang by simply measuring the motion of the stars and that it is clear that it all started expanding from a certain point. None of this contradicts the bible in any way. Adam was biblically placed at around 6000 BC which is arguably around the time of the dawn of civilization. The bible makes a clear delineation of an unspecified time period between the creation of heavens and earth and creation of homo sapien.

However there is no clear answer on how the big bang started. There are no clear answers on how or where matter began, or why physical law operates.

There are no clear answers on how life began. The probability of all the elements of life gathering from all points of the universe into one environment capable of sustaining life are staggering, and then to add the probablility of some electrical energy "jumpstarting" this cell is so staggering that the mere 4 billion years of this earth is not nearly enough time for this to occur.

The probabilities are so low that you would need an infinite amount of time for the universe to exist in order for it to occur. And in that case, if you had an infinite universe, then there would be all kinds of various assemblies hanging around.

Probability takes the time factor into consideration. 4 billion years is just too small of a time factor for the probability of the essential elements of life to assemble from all parts of the universe.

We havent even begun to discuss what processes your newly born single-celled organism must undergo to become a sexual reproducer. We havent even begun to wonder how our little cell can exist for more than one second.

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: NITRO777] #66558
03/30/06 16:39
03/30/06 16:39
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Expert
M

You dont know anything about the probabilities of this. How do you calculate this, using your special probability drive?

But seriously, you argument is flawed because I can easily say that the fact that we exist discounts entirely the improbability of us existing. It's like if I throw a stone in random direction, I say that it seems too improbable that it would land where it did, because there are so may other places it could have landed. But the fact is, it had to land somewhere. Probability is an odd thing that way. So using that logic, I would say the probability of us having evolved on earth is 100%, because it happened. You cant use probability to prove or disprove evolution.

Think about it, how many planets are there in the Universe? Probably a number too vast to comprehend. The chances that life would evolve on them all? Very low probably, but what about the chance that life would evolve on a few of them (which is still going to be an enormous number)? Likely to be high. The chance that life would evolve on one of them, 100%, because here we are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I would ask you a question then, without any malice. Why dont you accept the scientific result that led to evolutionary theory?

What about another theory, say General Relativity? Do you accept this theory? There is a lot more direct evidence for evolution by natural selection than there is for General Relativity, yet most scientist accept both. Why dont lay poeple attack General Relativity? It is far more troubling than evolution, because it is counter-intuitive. How can space-time be curved?

But the reason most poeple dont have a problem with it, is because it clearly has nothing to do with the Bible, nor does it say anything about Man's place in the universe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What should be apparent then to poeple reading this thread, is that Nitro77 and and others dont really care about the scientific value of evolution, and the psuedoscience they use to argue against it, but in fact the reason they hate the theory is an emotional one

They cant stand the fact that Man isn't something special and unique, that Man is just an animal, that Man is a bunch of chemicals and organic junk stuck together. We are fragile, tenuous beings, with many faults inherent in our bodies. Why do we have to crap and eat so much? Why do we get sick, why do children die for no reason, why are they born deformed, or retarded?

Why? I dont know, and I dont really care. Man is more than the sum of his parts, what you call a soul I call self-purpose.

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #66559
03/30/06 17:44
03/30/06 17:44
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
I dont hate the theory, I hate the fact that it is preached in schools as a fact when it falls from every leg it stands on.

Quote:

They cant stand the fact that Man isn't something special and unique, that Man is just an animal, that Man is a bunch of chemicals and organic junk stuck together. We are fragile, tenuous beings, with many faults inherent in our bodies. Why do we have to crap and eat so much? Why do we get sick, why do children die for no reason, why are they born deformed, or retarded?

Even from a scientific viewpoint man is unique. We are the only ones who can speak or create. We are much different from the animals. We dominate the animals.

Quote:

What about another theory, say General Relativity? Do you accept this theory? There is a lot more direct evidence for evolution by natural selection than there is for General Relativity, yet most scientist accept both. Why dont lay poeple attack General Relativity? It is far more troubling than evolution, because it is counter-intuitive. How can space-time be curved?

LOL. I will be doing very well if I understand enough about general relativity to refute Einstein. However I find myself more than capable to refute you and jcl. And in your case, with all of these oddball statements of yours, I consider it childsplay.

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: NITRO777] #66560
03/30/06 18:46
03/30/06 18:46
A
AndersA Offline
AndersA  Offline
A

Quote:

I dont hate the theory, I hate the fact that it is preached in schools as a fact when it falls from every leg it stands on.

But General Relativity and Quantum Physics are also "preached in schools". Why do you think evolution falls from more legs than those rather bizarre theories?

Quote:

Even from a scientific viewpoint man is unique. We are the only ones who can speak or create. We are much different from the animals. We dominate the animals.

Birds can fly on their own. Birds dominate man!? Not really, but every species have their own merits.

You do realize, by the way, that the only reason you can fly at all is that there are scientists who dare to think on their own?

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: NITRO777] #66561
03/30/06 19:18
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Expert
M

Quote:

LOL. I will be doing very well if I understand enough about general relativity to refute Einstein. However I find myself more than capable to refute you and jcl. And in your case, with all of these oddball statements of yours, I consider it childsplay.

You missed the point, you are qualified to refute neither Einstein nor Darwin. Darwin is regarded with as high regard (perhaps more) than Einstein by the scientific community. Whereas Einstein extended our knowledge of physics, and gave us a new way of understanding, Darwin essentially brought about modern biological sciences. His ideas form the basis of all modern biological thought. You cant possibly have modern cladistics without Darwin, you cant explain early humans wihtout Darwin, you cant even explain the lengths of bird's beaks without Darwin. One of the measures of the worth of a scientific theory is it's abilioty to predict. Darwin predicted that the easliest humans would be found in Africa, and indeed they were (australopithicus, ardipithicus, etc). Darwin predicted intermediate forms, and they were found, even in his lifetime (archeopterix).

If you think evolution falls on the legs it stands on, you clearly have NO idea of what evolutionary theory is. Seriously, educate yourself on it and then come back and talk to us. Have you read Origin of Species? Have you looked at the fossil record at all? Are you aware of all the 'intermediate' forms that have been found that directly contradict your belief that they havent been found?

There are so many evidences of evolution that I couldnt even begin to list them. But you have completely ignored everyhting I have said. What about my examples of the coconut crab for instance, having both non-functioning gills, and air-breathing "lungs" that still need some water to function? How do you account for this unless you accept that at some point this animal's ancestors lived wholely in the water?

What statements do i make that are "oddball"? Everything I've said represents the mainstream of scietific thinking. Nothing you've said has refuted anything I or JCL has said. You seem to reject evolutionary theory out of hand for emotional reasons, not valid scientific reasons. You keep saying that evolution fails, but you havent given any specific reason why.

All your arguements have been gone through more than a hundred years ago,and they have all been dealt with. There are arguments you are not even aware of that are more interesting.

What about Schrodinger's idea that evolution violates the third law of thermodynamics(entropy in a system)? This is an interesting attack, because on the surface it makes some sense. The idea is that no complex closed system can go on indefinitely; it has to degrade over time. Therfore evolution shouldnt produce more ordered lifeforms, instead it should produce increasingly degenerate ones.

This attack has been dealt with easily though, because evolution is not a closed system-- it is instead constantly changing and being influenced by outside sources. We just conveniently view as closed for experimental purposes.

All you can do is find little inconsistencies and nitpick, or use false premises(like some assumed probability of life evolving) and try to demolish the whole edifice. You also seem to love straw man arguements (like man evolved from monkeys).

You like to attack our arguements as being "oddball" or silly, or nonsensical, without giving adequate reasons why. You seem to not understand the most basic facts of modern science, and are unwilling to learn.

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: NITRO777] #66562
N
Neonotso Offline
Neonotso  Offline
N

Quote:

So why does the Pope accept scientific evolution?

First of all, I wouldn't consider evolution scientific... After all, why do you think it's called the "theory" of evolution. Because that's what it is, an unproven theory.

Anyway, the pope... Personally, I don't care all that much what the pope believes, because I consider some (if not most) Catholics to not be true Christians.

Quote:

I suppose your main problem is that you are confusing Christianity with creationism.

Well, in my opinion, I'd say that if you don't believe the Bible, in it's original text (Greek, Hebrew, whatever) to be completely true, than you're not really a good Christian either... Though you might still go to Heaven (depending on what you find in the Bible to be false).

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. - Hebrews 4:12

Any questions?

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Neonotso] #66563
03/30/06 19:38
03/30/06 19:38
A
AndersA Offline
AndersA  Offline
A

Quote:

First of all, I wouldn't consider evolution scientific... After all, why do you think it's called the "theory" of evolution. Because that's what it is, an unproven theory.

And so are General Relativity, Quantum Physics, the Standard Model, you name it. They are all unproven theories in the sence that no one has presented a proof for them. According to your logic, they are not scientific then, or what? So what is scientific? Could you please tell me one thing?

Edit:
I just realized that "unproven" may have a much weaker interpretation in english than in my native language. Of cource all the theories mentioned are accepted as excelent models for predicting and understanding our world, but no one have ever presented a proof in a deep sence for any of them. Eventually they will also probably gradually change.

Sorry for the confusion

Last edited by AndersA; 03/30/06 22:05.
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: AndersA] #66564
03/30/06 19:59
03/30/06 19:59
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Expert
M

Many poeple dont understand what the word "theory" means in sciece. There is a difference betweeen an "unproven" theory (or hypothesis) and an accepted theory. Evolution is accepted, and has been proven as well as any theory of this nature can be.

In fact Darwin's theory is far more established than say, the Standard Model of particle physics. There are open problems in the Standard Model, that everyone agrees with. There is no explanation of how gravity works, so by excluding them, the Standard Model is NECCESARILY incomplete. Does this make it 100% wrong? Of course not.

A theory is just a model of a natural process, it's not a thing or an end in itself. It allows us to understand the natural world better. And the Standard Model and Darwinian evolution through natural selection do that very well, up to a point.

The main way to disprove or challenge a theory is present scientific data that directly contradict it. So far no evidence has contradicted evolution. On the contrary quite the opposite has happened-- the theory has been validated time after time by new discoveries-- in genetics, molecular, paleontolgy, and comparative anatomy.

Darwinian evolution is one of the oldest and most rock-solid scientific theories there is. Is it complete? Certainly not. Darwin doesnt explain everything, like how evolutionary rates are not consistent in every given time and place. Gould attempted to explain that with punctuated equilibrium. Darwin doesnt have a concept of genetics and gives no means by which adapted traits are passed on. Gregor Mendel and his genetic theory did that when it was rediscovered long after Darwin was dead.

Mendel had no idea of how genetic information was passed on-- only with discovery of DNA and the foundations of molecular biology did we begin to understand that.

The remarkable thing is, Darwin knew nothing of these of these things, yet when they were discovered, they only reinforced and fleshed out Darwin's theory. This is what makes it so compelling to us now, more than even when it was developed a century and a half ago.

None of your creationist, biblical GARBAGE helps us understand ANY of these things. Only Darwin does, a humble, quite, sad man who languished for years before publishing a theory he knew would be attacked visciously. He knew he was right, not because he had faith, but because he observed the facts, and induced the truth.

I just wish poeple wouldn't argue against science when they DONT UNDERSTAND science. Having a science degree doesn't make you scientific, just like being a priest doesnt make you a christian--how you think and act does.

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: AndersA] #66565
03/30/06 21:06
03/30/06 21:06
N
Neonotso Offline
Neonotso  Offline
N

Quote:

Quote:

And so are General Relativity, Quantum Physics, the Standard Model, you name it. They are all unproven theories. According to your logic, they are not scientific then, or what? So what is scientific? Could you please tell me one thing?

Well, I don't even have an understanding of what those other things you mentioned are... For all I know they could be false, but, I would probably have to study them to be able to try to make a good conclusion, except if I heard something different that I could rely on that denied/accepted it to be true/false.

Anyway, this thing here says that "Systemized knowledge derived from observation or study is science.". Well, has evolution or any of the other things you mentioned come about because of observation or study? I don't know, really. But, as far as I know, "science" at least makes it hard for evolution to be true.

Just think about how the sun and moon are so well placed. If the sun (or probably moon too) were just a little closer or farther away from the earth, it would cause problems, sometimes severe problems. One thing I seem to remember seeing is that the sun is getter gradually closer, and another, if I'm not mistaken, said the moon is gradually going farther away. Go back, just a million years, and we'd have great problems.

Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite