Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by EternallyCurious. 04/18/24 10:45
StartWeek not working as it should
by Zheka. 04/18/24 10:11
folder management functions
by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
lookback setting performance issue
by 7th_zorro. 04/16/24 03:08
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/15/24 09:36
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/14/24 07:48
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (ozgur, EternallyCurious, howardR, 1 invisible), 623 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin, rajesh7827
19046 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Marco_Grubert] #66616
04/04/06 03:54
04/04/06 03:54
E
eternalyouth Offline
eternalyouth  Offline
E

Here is why, one can doubt God's existence. Because there is no proof or evidence, why believe? What I mean is... sure, there may not be eternal evidence of Santa Claus's existence, nor the easter bunny. But perhaps it is true.

The bible was written at a time prior to the printing press... I don't know 1843... whenever it was written. For someone to hand-copy all of those... it is so incredibly easy for anyone to misquote or state anything they feel necessary. Previously, people aged (thougn no one ages anymore.) How do you know that God didn't "age" and die? Quite possibly God may not have "unlimited power." Quite possibly, there are way too many people in this world for him to hear all prayers at once...
=================================
The truth is, I am sure many people pray all the time. Take the 9/11 tragedies. Quite possibly everyone on that airplane prayed repeatedly, yet everyone in the building, and towers died. Not a single person in that area even survived. Which brings my point. To me "doubting" God's existence is much like "doubting" the existence of any other folk tail, or fairy tale. However, the bible religion does seem to infer that if you choose to believe or "worship" any thing else, you are going to hell... or something like that... ask any christian and he'd tell you that. "I worship/believe this." "You are going to hell, and will get molested by Michaeal Jackson."

I guess the truth is, no one can "prove" that God doesn't exist. Though we cannot prove that he "does" exactly. Since anything spritiual like that scares/gives me nightmares. I am glad it is like this. I doubt praying actually works, though I probably do not have evidence. I also have no evidence that worshipping the "good-luck" fairy doesn't work either. For that reason, I see no point in praying or going to church. Most people have those religions... because their family or culture do so. There is also scientology. Though I cannot prove that Lord Xenu's thetans are in my body, I highly doubt paying over $300,000 in an exorcism would do any good... but still no evidence.

I personally, think religionw only slows one down. While one person could starve themselves for a month, get anally molested, or pay $300,000 to a church of scientology, I think it only wastes time for what could be spent really important... like watching T.V which is much more entertaining. I also see no reason to think you'd be rewarded for all of that time spent sacrificing animals, just for your belief. If I were a god, for how much I know... everyone could be worshipping the wrong person. Perhaps it is "Dog" who I should be worshipping. That "dog" wants me to make love to Marco Grubert's hot sister... in that case... because there is no evidence... everyone would be rewarded the same. It'd be all go down to if you are good, bad, or ***.

Someone has in their signature "if you do not believe in God, then look at the son. He makes blind in only those who sees believing." What about fairies, and gods? Or thetans in scientology? Do they all make me blind because I cannot see them... for how much I know... there are gods... or fairies... they can control how "good" or "bad" your luck is. They were "good" enough to make me the first person to learn that this generation of people is here to stay. Because I was the first to experience eternal youth. The world was created by fairly odd parents. They have no parents... how can that be? Divide 2 by three and you get an unlimited .66666666. That "infinite" number represents how there was NOTHING before them.

Respect is earned, not granted. Same goes for religion
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Marco_Grubert] #66617
04/04/06 05:07
04/04/06 05:07
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

@Irish_Farmer:
You posted a rather long text in the other thread responding to some of my statements. I do not have the time nor desire to answer all the points you raise there. Just pick one or two issues that you think are particularly relevant and then we can go over those in detail.

This brings into question your entire system of beliefs, don't you owe it to yourself to explore it further? I've already spent days researching it, so all you have to do is browse through the compiled evidence. I can split the document, but if I try to summarize it it will lose meaning.

That said, if its too much to read (I understand, it really is painfully long (over 12 pages in microsoft word at 12 point font)) I can do my best to try and reform it into a discussion; point by point.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 04/04/06 05:08.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Irish_Farmer] #66618
04/04/06 19:03
04/04/06 19:03
USA San Diego CA
Scramasax Offline
Scramasax  Offline

USA San Diego CA
I've honestly had to speed read all the posts since my last visit. That teaches me to get a week of work in.

I've heard allot about faith, and its true, you have to have faith to think evolution is true. All things start with the faith that you exist. After that you have to pony up, and believe that other people exist, and finally that we all are bound by some type of general reality.

Scientific method is a way to derive what it true. (General reality) Its wrong allot, and this is where the creationalist seem to collect. This part is what science is all about. Build a model that will predict what will or has happened. If the model starts to fail, then cook up a new one. The re-due is almost the most important part. Empirical evidence supersedes anyone's model that doesn't match objective reality. If this fails to happen then we are no better than the creationalists who already predetermine what is true because its written in a book.

I've read allot about how scientific method is flawed, and I simply ask. What method do you prescribe to replace it?

Last edited by Scramasax; 04/04/06 19:40.

www.moxiefish.com George Lancaster
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Irish_Farmer] #66619
04/04/06 19:38
04/04/06 19:38
San Diego, CA
M
Marco_Grubert Offline
Expert
Marco_Grubert  Offline
Expert
M

San Diego, CA
Quote:

This brings into question your entire system of beliefs, don't you owe it to yourself to explore it further? I've already spent days researching it, so all you have to do is browse through the compiled evidence.

The browsing part is simple, almost as simple as making things up or pasting them from a website. Researching the claims and debating or debunking them is what takes time.

Do I "owe it to myself" to explore this further? Dunno, do I owe it to myself to explore the views of every flat-earther, alien abductee, or reincarnated new-ager? No, I don't think so. I am interested in learning new things but if the odds are stacked against a conspiracy theory (involving thousands of people smarter than myself no less) then I am only willing to put so much effort into it, since the likelihood of it being true is small.

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Marco_Grubert] #66620
04/06/06 06:41
04/06/06 06:41
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

Do I "owe it to myself" to explore this further? Dunno, do I owe it to myself to explore the views of every flat-earther, alien abductee, or reincarnated new-ager? No, I don't think so. I am interested in learning new things but if the odds are stacked against a conspiracy theory (involving thousands of people smarter than myself no less) then I am only willing to put so much effort into it, since the likelihood of it being true is small.

Eh...complacency. I guess I'm not old enough to experience this unfortunate trait. Maybe when the life has been drained out by a dreary day-in-day-out existence. This probably doesn't describe you (I mean the dreary day in day out thing probably doesn't describe you), but for me, the search for truth doesn't just end in what I'm told is true by other people.

The only other substantial claim to the throne of truth is still science, its just creationism. There really is no fundemental difference, except they don't believe that proof of creatures becoming other creatures has to exist just because otherwise scientists have been wrong all along.

But, you obviously don't see it that way. Its obvious that the nut jobs out there, and media enforced expectations have made you completely untrusting of anything having to do with God. I'm sorry to hear that. But, consider this. An amateur like me has managed to provide ample evidence against your theory that can be proved in one simple concise idea: The evidence you have doesn't point to a change between kinds of animals. It just points to a change Within kinds of animals. Anything else is just conjecture, but this is what materialist evolution is based on. Wishful thinking.

You have it your way. The way I see it, your side is the one wearing the foil hats.

Let me just make one simple claim. This won't end it once and for all, but just give me one example of a mutation that improves existing genetics. It only takes one mutation that causes something new to appear in the morphology, etc that wasn't originally within the genetic range (ie if a single celled organism adapts to living in the dark, other members of the exact same species cannot have this same data, and furthermore the creature shouldn't be able to survive in the dark to begin with) as an example. Furthermore, if this new data is created, it cannot kill the creature or reduce fitness, which I think is fair since this is precisely what your theory is based on. We can iron out the details later.

I say this won't end it, because there's a chance you'll refer to one of those improvements like the one in my long post that work within the original genetics (the animal was already able to survive in dark, and scientists proved it could be change to....survive in the dark).

However, at least let's get on the right track. Bible problems and other bunny trails aside, let's get straight to the heart of the problem. If you can produce one truly upward genetic mutation I will concede that materialist evolution is possible, after further research since I've almost been fooled before.

I'm so confident that its a physical impossibility that I will wager all of my beliefs on it. Why not after all when mutations have so many problems to contend with, like natural defense mechanisms, lack of effective range, and the fact that they are random changes to an ordered system.

I used to believe in the same kind of evolution that you do. Not that long ago actually. I just assumed what I was told was true for a while because I didn't think it affected me one way or the other. I'm not saying you're this way, but you're not arguing against some blind Christian here. I've seen everything science has to offer.

However, that belief ended when I tried to find evidence of this kind of evolution. I couldn't, not even from scientists themselves.

We should combine this into one of the other threads we were already speaking about, probably, if you want to participate in this.

"It is entirely in line with the accidental nature of mutations that extensive tests have agreed in showing the vast majority of them detrimental to the organism in its job of surviving and reproducing -- good ones are so rare we can consider them all bad." H. J. Mueller, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists 11:331

These are scientists speaking. What are you holding on to here? This guy won the precious nobel prize for his work on mutations. He was celebrated by the same people who still believe this 'upwards' evolution is possible. There's nothing left of this materialist evolution except the lies it started. You said these scientists are smarter than you are. And they couldn't find a good mutation. I want you to find one. Its a challenge. Maybe you can outsmart the unbelievers among your crowd.

I've looked recently and so far some guy who believes in God and creation and evolution all at once (talk about confusion) claims he saw yeast become a capped fungi within his lifetime.

Also, someone said that mutations are good because they allow enzymes (he called them workers, so I assumed he meant enzymes) to either be more or less specialized. Changing these workers isn't going to change an entire creature, and its on such a basic level that it doesn't even compare to what it would take to affect genetics on a more general level. That's just my preliminary point against this, since I'm sure further inspection could bring up numerous other problems with this hypothesis. After all, its made by a person desperately clinging to the last possible hope that his twisted version of what evolution is could be true.

Anyway, it seems the evidence (or lack of evidence) hasn't changed, just scientists have been forced to come up with reasons why these mutations haven't been found. In other words, instead of coming up with this evidence, they try and explain away the lack thereof. Like say, with sickle cell anemia. Sure, its good because if you survive sickle cella anemia you're more likely to survive malaria, but we all know these kinds of mutations, as I've said many times don't change creatures into other creatures. If they do, I'd love to know how. Sounds like true junk science to me.

Sickle cell anemia can lead to the following: leg ulcers, abdominal pain, severe anemia (duh), joint pain, and of course defective (as in bad, or worse off) blood cells. On the far end of the spectrum it can lead to death. Let's get a thousand more mutations like these and pile them into our genes and watch the result. You and your 'true science' can keep believing in this evidence. I can't.

I love how you guys keep saying, "Besides, eventually sickle cell anemia will be thinned out of the population where there is no malaria." If its not bad to begin with, why should it have to thinned out of the population?

But we probably should have kept this in another thread, my bad.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 04/06/06 06:52.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Irish_Farmer] #66621
04/06/06 09:04
04/06/06 09:04
USA San Diego CA
Scramasax Offline
Scramasax  Offline

USA San Diego CA
@Irish_Farmer

This is one link on how bacterial mutation is beneficial for its own self.
http://www.gate.net/~rwms/EvoMutations.html

The flu virus is another example. That's why the government is scared of bird flu. Right now, it's a minor disease, but if it mutates, then it's a danger.

I know there are million links that say different. I went through and read them. Not all of them mind you, but enough to make up my own mind again, since the last time I studied it 10 years ago, in school and on my own.

Higher organisms are tougher to detect, because of the high cycles needed to detect a beneficial mutation. Our life span is a problem, because its short. We can't see six hundred to a thousand generations of any complex creature. Its a shame cause I wouldn't mind living a couple of thousand years to watch the change.

Last edited by Scramasax; 04/06/06 16:30.

www.moxiefish.com George Lancaster
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Scramasax] #66622
04/06/06 16:30
04/06/06 16:30
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
the current h2no virus is allready mutated a couple of hundred times. The thing most scientists are worried about is the cross mutation of the flu and the h2no virus causing a pandemic spread.

but thanks to the creationists things like this cant happen and all of us are on the safe side.
good thing, and some allready wanted to research some antidode for it...what a waste of time.

cheers

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Blattsalat] #66623
04/06/06 21:37
04/06/06 21:37
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Scramasax, I don't have the time to do it right now, but I will respond to those examples. Its probably going to take me two hours, but I need to be social at some point this week, plus my ex-girlfriend is offering to buy me dinner and I never refuse a free meal.

However, I found that exact website myself while searching for beneficial mutations. I grabbed a random example and used it as proof of how evolution within kinds happens and is twisted in a way to show evidence of change to and from kinds.

Now I suppose I'll have to go through each and every one. Notice the website never says what kind of evolution is happening here. They simply use the term evolution. But I'll get back on that in a little while.

Unfortunately, that site is somewhat technical, which isn't really a problem for me (only because its not insanely technical). However, it will require me to explain the way things work on a basic level, which will get long winded, because its not a quick explanation like they would have it seem. You don't have to be an expert to know this stuff, but it takes more than passive high school knowledge. So its going to take a while. But how about this. I promise to respond to each and every one of those claims. Although the only really compelling ones are where animals go from single cell to multi cell, or new metabolic pathways are gained. However, I'm going to have to get knee deep in technical fun. So be patient.

There is an explanation, and actually the explanation is rooted in some pretty interesting biological science, about why these conclusions (not the observations themselves) are wrong. You'll get a chance to learn about one of the most interesting organisms (in my opinion) ever. Mostly because it defies the current evolutionary thinking of how to classify animals. But that will require more research (to provide you with accurate information) as well as a more thorough and layman-friendly explanation of exactly what is happening during these 'evolutions.' The rest of the explanations are much easier than that.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 04/06/06 21:42.

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Ran Man] #66624
04/08/06 03:50
04/08/06 03:50
mpdeveloper_B Offline OP
Expert
mpdeveloper_B  Offline OP
Expert

Quote:

Quote:

xD its just entertainment for me.

Me too brother!

And for those who want to believe in Evolution and that they came from apes, well maybe they actually did come from apes!

They came from apes and I came from God. Hey, it sounds logical to me. Oh well, back to game programming... Funny stuff these forums are though... haha

lol i agree fully...

- aka Manslayer101
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Irish_Farmer] #66625
04/08/06 04:21
04/08/06 04:21
mpdeveloper_B Offline OP
Expert
mpdeveloper_B  Offline OP
Expert

all i will say as this thread has strayed away from it's original context, is that these "viewpoints" of evolution and all have not been proven, as someone said earlier on its a THEORY not a LAW there is a major difference. A law would be something like the world being round, this is proven because we can go there, we can go outside the world and watch it rotate. Evolution is just another way that a scientist is trying to use to help explain why we are here and how we got here, because they don't know. Man is always trying to explain his existance, but because he will not sit still and try to learn what he will, instead of forming a narrow-minded observation and turning it into a theory, will not help him find his origin. Most of the real science has left this thread because now its just a dispute over evolution and how to "form" it with christianity, it can't happen, people should not be stupid enough to make a theory part of their every-day belief, of course you will try and say to this that "God is nothing but a theory himself and that a christian is foolish for believing this way", but i say that it's childish to try and throw back at someone what they just threw at you, it's pointless to get hit by the same bat twice, so to speak. This debate has no longer been on a scientific basis, but a theoretic and faithful basis, the only reason you will not accept that God exsits is because your beliefs are attacked if you convert. No one is converting anyone, nor is anyone looking from a open-minded view in this topic. Scientists can prove things with their God-given talents, not because of some degree, a degree is nothing more that a paper saying you got good grades and passed. I cannot believe how either side of this debate can try and disprove what has already been proved from a scientific stand-point and from a christian stand-point. How can you disprove the earth's roundness, or physics, or that there is a moon thousands of miles away from this earth, YOU CAN'T. How can you disprove that there is a stronger power that helps a man keep his wits about him and make his decisions, how can you disprove that this power tells him when he is wrong, and when he is in a fatal accident, he lives, hmm i think i know this, YOU CAN'T. The narrow-minded views in this forum are foolish, and if a person who throws away his life and only lives by his own rules and doesn't agree with what is proven in his everyday life and around him is a fool to God, he is a fool to me. Answers are welcome to this, i am interested in what you say, foolish or not, but if you will attack at me or any other in this forum in the same way that we have attacked you, than you should go change your diapers, lol.

-Manslayer101 - inspired by the almighty

- aka Manslayer101
Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite