Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
folder management functions
by 7th_zorro. 04/16/24 13:19
lookback setting performance issue
by 7th_zorro. 04/16/24 03:08
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/15/24 09:36
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/14/24 07:48
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
LPDIRECT3DCUBETEXTUR
E9

by Ayumi. 04/12/24 11:00
Sam Foster Sound | Experienced Game Composer for Hire
by titanicpiano14. 04/11/24 14:56
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (7th_zorro, Aku_Aku, VoroneTZ, 11honza11), 376 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue
19045 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
One vs. Two vs. Many #66695
03/15/06 14:21
03/15/06 14:21
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
There are a lot of people that believe that science can be used to prove OR disprove the exsistence of a god. I'm not here to debate that issue, but rather insprired by a comment on another thread, I issuse a unique challenge:

Prove or Disprove the exsistence of ONE GOD.

This challenge is NOT to show that there is or isn't a god; Rather, we start with the Axiom that god exsists and confirm -- as the judeomuslimchristians believe -- that there is only one and not many... or not.

This is, after all, what we do in Science. We put many competing theories against each other and only the one that is most valid under the greatest number of trials is the one that is believed to be "true". So let's scientifically pit the One god theory vs. the Many gods theory and see what happens.

Re: One vs. Two vs. Many [Re: fastlane69] #66696
03/15/06 14:24
03/15/06 14:24
Israel, Haifa
ROMAC Offline
Expert
ROMAC  Offline
Expert

Israel, Haifa
I showed in this thread that more than one God must exist OR no God at all:
http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/633975/an/0/page/0#633975

Re: One vs. Two vs. Many [Re: ROMAC] #66697
03/15/06 14:32
03/15/06 14:32
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
That post was actually my inspiration.

But it is not what I'm looking for in this thread. In that post, you CONCLUDE from your own facts and opinions three things: god doesn't exist, god is amoral, god is not all powerful.

This is not the same as what I'm asking here.

I'm conceding that god exists as my axiomatic foundation. Then, I'm asking to show that only one god exists or many exist. And I'm asking to do it in the scientific way that many are using to show that god does exist.

Not quite the same.

Re: One vs. Two vs. Many [Re: fastlane69] #66698
03/15/06 14:46
03/15/06 14:46
A
AndersA Offline
AndersA  Offline
A

Quote:

[...]I'm conceding that god exists as my axiomatic foundation.[...]

That is not a very meaningful axiom on it's own. Any theorem based on that is also based on the meaning of the term god. Depending on the properties god have you will be able to prove that there is one god or many.

The only meaningful theorem derivable from your axiom is that at least something exists

Re: One vs. Two vs. Many [Re: AndersA] #66699
03/15/06 14:55
03/15/06 14:55
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
An axiom is exactly that which is unprovable, but taken as the foundation to start a proof.
Take whatever definition of god you wish, however unprovable or unique, assume he/she/they exist and go.

Re: One vs. Two vs. Many [Re: fastlane69] #66700
03/15/06 15:21
03/15/06 15:21
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
This is an interesting proposal, although I would suppose that the definition of omnipotence excludes the possibility that more than one God exists.

However, you're not limited to integers when counting the number of Gods. It's entirely possible that there is only half a God. For instance, the Hottentots believe in the God Haiuri, which is only half-existing (not to be confused with a demi-god!).

Re: One vs. Two vs. Many [Re: fastlane69] #66701
03/15/06 15:24
03/15/06 15:24
A
AndersA Offline
AndersA  Offline
A

I know perfectly well what an axiom is and I still don't think your "god exists" axiom is useful for anything than stating that "something exists". You have to add more axioms.

You may prove many things if you add different axioms:

1)
Ok. I add the axiom A = "for all a,b if a is god and b is god, then a = b". From that it is trivial to derive the theorem "there is only one that is god".

2)
Now instead of the axiom A, I add the axiom B = not A. From that it's trivial to derive the theorem "there may be two or many that are god"

3)
Let's check what happens if we add A and B. Well from that you can derive a contradiction and it's a logic truth that from a contradiction everything can be derived. One example is the theorem "there is no god".

Last edited by AndersA; 03/15/06 15:43.
Re: One vs. Two vs. Many [Re: AndersA] #66702
03/15/06 15:47
03/15/06 15:47
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

I know perfectly well what an axiom is and I still don't think your "god exists" axiom is useful for anything than stating that "something exists".

You are missing the point then for that is the ONLY thing that axiom is meant to show: that something exists and then use that as a foundation for further investigation as to HOW MANY somethings there are.

Quote:

Ok. I add the axiom A = "for all a,b if a is god and b is god, then a = b". From that it is trivial to derive the theorem "there is only one that is god".[/quopte]

You've proven nothing. Your axiom STARTS with the idea that a is the same god as b. You've derived nothing and merely proved state your axiom as your conclusion.

All the same, a more useful proof would look like:

a = god1
b = god2

[...]

therefore either a=b (and there is one god) or A DNE B (and there are at least two gods). It's the [...] that you skipped over that I'm mostly interested in.

If we find the latter, we would expand thusly

a = god1
b = god2
c = god3

[...]

therefore either a=b DNE c or a=c DNE b or b=c DNE a (and there are only two gods) or a DNE b DNE c (and there are at least 3 gods).

Again, it's the [...] that is interesting to me, whether it be from science or logic.

Re: One vs. Two vs. Many [Re: fastlane69] #66703
03/15/06 16:31
03/15/06 16:31
A
AndersA Offline
AndersA  Offline
A

Quote:

Quote:

I know perfectly well what an axiom is and I still don't think your "god exists" axiom is useful for anything than stating that "something exists".

You are missing the point then for that is the ONLY thing that axiom is meant to show: that something exists and then use that as a foundation for further investigation as to HOW MANY somethings there are[...]

I think you're wrong and that my previous post should make perfect sense to someone versed in standard logic.

Your "proof" is based on god being an object, but that is a way to strong conclusion to draw from the axiom "god exists". A reasonable interpretation of your axiom is that there is a predicate R(x) = "x has the property good" and that there exists at least one x for which R(x). In that language my first axiom A may be formally written as "(x)(y)(R(x) & R(y) --> x=y)".

Last edited by AndersA; 03/15/06 16:34.
Re: One vs. Two vs. Many [Re: AndersA] #66704
03/15/06 16:55
03/15/06 16:55
Michigan
ICEman Offline
Developer
ICEman  Offline
Developer

Michigan
I think what he is saying is that, assuming that God(s) exist as the given for this discussion (which means that you will have a hard time stomaching this discussion and an even harder time contributing if you dont believe in one at all)

BUT...here is my logic for the monotheistic school of thought.

It's possible that many Gods can have existed, but.. to me, the creation of a universe what looks a certain way, is composed of black space, with normal matter, and logical math and science... is the result of one perspective.

Take the universe as a game. If you have more than one designer, typically the game comes out looking like it was made with the ideas of several designers. Very seldom do they agree or reach commonalities about one specific way the game looks or plays..and I believe our universe was made by one specific vision, and not the visions of many, otherwise it would work as tho it were designed by several beings with different ideas of how it should work.

It's a very weak argument, but I think the inability to create with concensus on the design rules out multiple creators..and had the reached a concensus, it wouldve been redundant to use multiple Gods with the same level of power to make the agreed upon design.

I'm ICEman, and I approved this message.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite