Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Trading Journey
by M_D. 04/26/24 20:22
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by M_D. 04/26/24 20:03
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
M1 Oversampling
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:12
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
Eigenwerbung
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
MT5 bridge not working on MT5 v. 5 build 4160
by EternallyCurious. 04/25/24 20:49
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (M_D, AndrewAMD, Quad, Ayumi), 806 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 10 of 54 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 53 54
Re: Science and Creation [Re: jcl] #68861
04/04/06 16:54
04/04/06 16:54
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
@Irish Farmer: I admit that I'm no evolution expert, but what you've posted against the origin of life seems illogical to me.

Claim: Life could not have originated on earth because it would have been destroyed by oxygen.

But all the oxygen in the atmoshere was produced by life, like algae or vegetation. So where should the oxygen to destroy life should have come from when life didn't exist yet?

Claim: Life on earth is using only left handed amino acids, while spontaenous amino acid creation produces 50% left and 50% right handed amino acids.

But life is self-reproducing and thus also reproduces it's amino handedness. And since the similarity of all DNA indicates that all life on earth is a successor of one first primitive organism, it obviously also has taken over the amino acids of that first organisms. It was just by chance left handed - it could just as well be right handed.

Re: Science and Creation [Re: jcl] #68862
04/04/06 17:38
04/04/06 17:38
Coppell, Texas
Ran Man Offline
Expert
Ran Man  Offline
Expert

Coppell, Texas
Quote:

Well Ran Man, though you seem to evade my question about the age of the universe,

I agree. I'm "evading" it because I do not know. I percieve, however, that earth and our solar system is much younger than the rest of the universe. I base it on the fact that in the bible it says:
"Heaven is MY throne and earth is my footstool"

Obviously, God's throne and His place of residence comes first before our earth? But, I offer no scientific proof for this, thus the reason why I evaded it.
Quote:

So explain to me why we share 96% of DNA with chimpanzees?

I don't understand why that would prove that "Chimpanzees" are our ancestors? It is quite common in nature to have two species that share similarities, yet they do not come from each other.

A Lion is not a tiger, yet they are both cats. They also share some genetics, but that does not prove the tiger is a lion though.

The big difference between us humans and chipanzees is not the physical, but rather it is the spiritual or our intellect and soul that is within all us humans. Can't you see that??? That is the reason why we are so much more intelligent than Chimps are...

But, I strayed off topic when I said that, but it's still true. I'm trying to stay on topic here! We can say that indeed a species is similiar, but to say that it somehow "migrated" into something else is absurd.

Cougar Interactive

www.zoorace.com
Re: Science and Creation [Re: Ran Man] #68863
04/04/06 17:50
04/04/06 17:50
N
Neonotso Offline
Neonotso  Offline
N

Quote:

I gave you 5 stars buddy. lol

Thanks! I like you, Ran Man, you seem like a nice, fun person.

But, of course, I can't just say that and end my post. Let's see... the dna thing. Well, watermelons and clouds both have a high percentage of water: That doesn't make them related.

Re: Science and Creation [Re: Neonotso] #68864
04/04/06 18:25
04/04/06 18:25
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

umm.. tha's the silliest thing I've heard yet.

Water is not DNA, DNA is not water. This makes no sense.

Having the same or similar DNA DOES mean things are related. You share DNA with your mother and father. Any DNA analyst could test you and find that you are related.

Just like because we share 96% or so of DNA with chimps, we know they are closely related. Unless of course you are not only denying evolution, but genetiics too. If so, good luck on your Nobel Prize, you've earned it.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Science and Creation [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #68865
04/04/06 18:56
04/04/06 18:56
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

why is that creationists have no research or findgin of thier own tpo support thier views? It seems all they can do is try tp pick apart the work of thousands of real scientists.

Because you're so close minded you wouldn't listen to evidence from any other source.

Quote:

Because if evolution is wrong, you have to throw out all modern phylogenies (cladistic method, etc.)

Does that scare you? Why should we stick to outdated methods just because you don't want to lose evolution? That said, we still don't have to throw anything out except materialist evolution. We don't even have to throw evolution out. Just the lies that have been perpetuated about it.

Quote:

genetics research, paleontology, geology,

Just because all of these fields either lack proof of evolution, or disprove evolution outright, doesn't mean they can't exist without evolution. For someone who is apparently so scientifically 'enlightened' you have absolutely no idea how the sciences relate to each other.

I can hardly wait for the day when the age of materialist evolution is considered the Dark Age of science.

Quote:

In any case it did show that amino acids could form naturally under certain conditions. You take what is obviously evidence for the formation of life by natural means and twist it to be proof against it.

If the experiment produced a racemic mixture, how is that proof life could spontaneously be created? You need to go back and take lessons on basic biology. Miller himself said that if all that could have been created is a racemic mixture then life would have had to be created first or at least at the same time before the amino acids could even be useful. His words, not mine.

A racemic mixture is 'POISONOUS' to life. So this experiment failed.

If you still want to believe the experiment was a success, then go ahead, but that makes you and only you.

Quote:

The fact is, we dont know exactly under what conditions life formed, there may have been oxygen, or something else in the atmosphere.

Oxygen is corrosive and breaks down molecular bonds, making it difficult for life to start randomly.

Quote:

Also, water can shield ultraviolet radiation far better than oxygen, so if we suppose that the life formed in water, we dont have any problems.

Except for hydrolysis which breaks down molecular bonds on generally the same principle as the oxygen in atmosphere (water has oxygen in it by the way). So water is corrosive too. Try again.

Quote:

but if you dont believe any of that I'll make it just this: just because we dont know how life developed doesnt mean it didnt

I know this. But just because life can randomly be created doesn't mean it was either. I just wanted to show that evolution still doesn't have a solid foundation in science. That the origin of life has to be taken on faith alone. Now let's move on to your responses to evolution.

Quote:

This is a straw man, because most scientists dont claim this. (evolution from a single cell)

Yes they do. Are you just afraid that this idea is so ridiculous that you might have to question evolution yourself?

If we didn't evolve from one cell, then I'd really love to know how a multi-cellular creature randomly got peiced together. The idea of it is simply beyond mathematical reasoning. Maybe that's not what you're saying, but then you managed to type out this disaster of a statement here:

Quote:

The current thinking is that cells became more and more complex, based on the assimilation of smaller forms.. such as the mitochondria, which may have been simpler organisms that lived symbiotically with a larger organism.

You're skipping a huge step. The original cell at some point would have had to have been the only true living thing in existence, the only true genetic material available. It would have had to evolve into these larger creatures. Furthermore, what would these mitochondria (cell power houses) have been doing floating around in great numbers without cells (you say symbiotically with a larger creature, but without the larger creature the cells couldn't eat mitochondria, and without mitochondria the basic cells wouldn't have had food to eat to evolve into the larger creatures that the mitochondria lived symbiotically with)? Let's say one mitochondria was randomly assembled in this soup, you're now saying that scientists believe this happened hundreds to thousands to millions of times? If this is the true view of evolution nowadays then it just goes to show how desperate scientists are getting. Without a cell, mitochondria cannot be replicated, by the way. Sounds like a terrible food source.

I'd be surprised if you even knew what the mitochondria was to begin with. You use the term as if its some kind of living creature. Its just one component of a cell.

Quote:

Vestigial organs dont show "devolutions", because in science there is no such thing.

No there isn't. So then let me tell you what I mean by devolution since you lack the ability to figure it out for yourself based on the context.

Devolution - the loss of genetics.

Simple. So just replace the word devolution with 'loss of genetics' in my post and reread it again. Or don't, I don't care either way, but the fact that devolution isn't a scientific term doesn't debunk my paper.

We can observe for ourselves that mutations, etc., all cause a loss of genetic data, or a damaging of the current data. I called that process devolution for simplicity's sake. You can call the loss or corruption of data whatever you want. Doesn't change a thing.

Quote:

Darwin concludes that the modern Galapagos finches evolved from an ancestor form themainland, that speciation can occur, and is directed by natural selection. The more favorable forms are "selected" because they allow the animal to live longer, to reproduce more succesfully, etc. Only a truly perverse mind can see this as an argument AGAINST evolution.

It is evolution, just not the kind you're thinking of. If they 'evolved' from a more generalized species, then that species would still be a finch. I don't think the concept is that difficult. A more genetically variable finch (with most or all of the features seen in these finches) was widdled down through natural processes like speciation, specialization, genetic drift etc until certain characteristics of it were split. This means that these finches are 'less' than the original species that made them. They didn't gain any new genetic data. So it is still not your materialist evolution. The common ancestry of these finches can be seen when certain characteristics 'carry over' between species. The fact is that there was at some point a finch that contained all of the genetic data that was branched off into these finches, meaning these finches had to evolve by LOSING A PART OF THE ORIGINAL GENETICS (my definition of devolution). Finch to finch evolution is a far cry from single-cell to man evolution. Yes, these birds did evolve, but you're not asking yourself what kind of evolution. You've just had the word evolution pounded into your head so often that you think this type of evolution proves materialist evolution.

Quote:

First, you have this idea that a beetle species that loses its wings is somehow "less than what is was originally". Nonsense: as said before, it is just different, not less or more.

I hope everyone else is reading this. This is what happens when public schools don't teach critical thinking skills. I'm not trying to insult you, but this is so logically flawed....

Let me walk you through it. Let's say a beetle contains the genetic data for wings. If that data is either corrupted or lost, or 'hidden' in some way, that can be attributed to a loss of data as far as that creature is concerned. It doesn't have wings anymore, but it didn't lose them? Where did they go? They may be hidden in its genetics, but hidden genes might as well be lost if they never become unhidden. And this still doesn't show how a single cell can become anything but a single cell.

Quote:

Nonsense: as said before, it is just different, not less or more. No organism is more or less than any other, they are all just different, and are adapted to live in whatever conditions they happen to be in.

Ah, yes. From what I've been reading lately on modern evolutionism and this appears to be there new argument against 'devolution' since the fact that we can only observe genetic losses presents a big problem for their theory.

What you've said is true, except from the perspective of genetics. Genetics CAN go up or down. There are two possibilities: the beetle can gain wings (genetics going up, or data appearing out of nowhere), or if it had them it can lose them (genetics going down). Evolution may not have an ultimate goal. But on the level of genetics, there is a line between 'more and less.'

Scientists are starting to grasp for straws here, you may not see it, but I hope people following this debate do.

Quote:

In any case, mutation is a known, observeable fact.

Duh. That's not the point. The point is whether they are helpful or harmful to the creature.

Quote:

Most mutations are indeed harmful or meaningless, and offer no selective benefit. But some must be favorable.

Why? Because otherwise you're wrong?

Quote:

The loss of function is just evolution, like anything else.

This is how 'scientists' completely turn people backwards and around until they don't know which way is up anymore. People get tricked into believing materialist evolution. This is evolution. Materialist evolution asks you to believe that these organs should first be gained, and then that they should gain function. We do not witness this.

True evolution shows that organs can lose function through genetic loss, its a fact of life. This doesn't explain how a cell can become a man.

The problem is that scientists use materialist evolution, and true evolution all within one general term: evolution. So people are never taught to tell the difference, or see that one kind of evolution helps to disprove the other. Only one type of evolution has any proof, and I'll give you a hint: its not materialist evolution.

Quote:

For instance, you bring up the sickle cell anemia trait, but you are wrong in your conclusion that this is a bad mutation.

For anyone else reading this, I'll let your own statement argue against your point.

Quote:

Obviously, it developed only in areas which had a risk of malaria, and since malaria is greater risk to life than sickle cell, it was a beneficial adaptation and was selected by later generations. However, when someone moves to an area where there is no malaria, then the adaptation is not beneficial, and probably will eventually dissappear in those populations that have moved.

http://www.sicklecelldisease.org/about_scd/

That will teach you about how terrible sickle cell anemia is. How its a plague to our gene pool. This is a positive mutation? It can kill people who have it, or at best cause terrible medical complications. It shows how the genetics of humans can be corrupted, which is evolution, but what it doesn't show is how we can evolve to something other than a human. Anyone with sickle cell is still a human, just now with a genetic disorder that is a hindrance.

Furthermore, do you know how that adaptation would disappear? Natural selection is one method (death), or the trait could just be so thinned out in the gene pool that it doesn't have the same effect. Just adding, however, to the overall deterioration of the gene pool. Great.

The problem is, is that it won't get spread out into the gene pool enough because people aren't going to travel all the way across the world to have kids. They're going to stay where they are and keep spreading it around in that area.

A truly positive mutation must add new genetic data, not corrupt the existing data. Otherwise you still haven't proved how a single cell evolved into a man or anything else for that matter. All you've demonstrated is how a terrible mutation can be used for somewhat 'good' purposes. What you're saying is that a genetic disorder that paralyzed people from the neck down would be good because then they wouldn't get into car accidents. It just shows a lack of understanding of genetics.

Quote:

The point about the algae adapting to the dark, I dont see what your problem with this, excep that you seem to be using this as another straw man, becasue you state that "Why this is used as proof of materialist evolution? I’ll never know." I'm not sure that this IS used as any such proof. It does however, offer good evidence for the mechanism of mutation in evolution.

There was no mutation, because the data already existed to adapt to darkness. Creatures exist within a range of genetics, and these creatures had a range that allowed them to live in darkness or light. Some lines of these creatures could live easily in the dark, which proved the species already had the data to live in the dark. It didn't appear out of nowhere, which once again is essential to materialist evolution. Its simple logic.

Quote:

and you just copy-and-pasted it from some retarded creationist website...

This is why I didn't use creationist sources, by the way.

Quote:

Another bogus claim used as a straw man, or maybe it's based on total ignorance of both language and science. Evolution is a process that is ongoing--it takes niether millions of years nor any set length of time. Evolution is happening, in a small way, with evey generation.

What's important is whether or not that evolution is materialist evolution or real evolution.

Its interesting how you had no response to the point I made in that 'evolution doesn't take millions of years' example. All you could do was use your default straw man point.

The fact is, scientists were wrong about how long evolution takes because they though evolution could change a lizard into a bird. Real evolution happens quickly because all it does is cause a variety within a kind of animal. That isn't what materialist evolution is, so this is a problem for people like you.

Quote:

*Sigh*, again with the bad premise. No scientist says that fossil record "proves" evolution. Nothing proves evolution.

Yet you cling to it like a life line. You have faith in something that even you admit can't be proved. Anyway...

Quote:

The fossil record does give us evidence for evolution

The fossil record is a record of living creatures perfectly adapted to their environment. Nothing else. Furthermore, since the geological strata is no longer able to accurately determine age, we have a problem with the evolutionary timeline.

Quote:

The fossil record does give us evidence for evolution, because it shows many cases of species that resemble other species but have differnt traits,

This is all fine and dandy. But as I've said, its impossible to have a 'mythical' variety of creatures on earth. Eventually, in order to survive in similar environments creatures are going to have to share traits. You can say they evolved from the same source, but since we have no current evidence of this evolution between phyla (or even a reliable method for how this could occur), you have to accept that on faith alone.

Quote:

including some that may not have been able to really live on land, but still lived alsmot as fishes.

We don't know how any of these animals lived if they're extinct, because we can't witness them in their original environment. I can come up with all sorts of theories about these animals, but it doesn't prove a thing.

Furthermore, I'm going to call BS on your fossils. I want to see the proof. I've provided proof, scientific proof, to all of my claims. The only reason you brought up these fossils is because you think you don't have to provide the evidence. How am I supposed to argue against an idea that doesn't have anything substantial to it? I'm not actually, and that's the way you like it because I've raised a lot of interesting questions that your materialist evolution can't answer.

In fact, back up all of your claims with proof. You can keep running your mouth all day long, but the fact is is that I took the time to actually research and come up with proof for my hypothesis. What have you done besides tell me how you 'feel' about evolution? Back up your claims with proof.

Quote:

So explain to me why we share 96% of DNA with chimpanzees?

How else do you describe an animal that looks pretty human? Its like you're asking to be shown some kind of miracle. Similar characteristics are logically inevitable, and it doesn't get to the root of the problem of how materialist evolution doesn't work in the first place. Let's get to the root of the problem, and then worry about the details after that.

You say a child could see through my arguments, but you have yet to prove me wrong. What's taking you so long?

Quote:

Why in the hell should anyone believe you? Are you somehow right, when everyone else is wrong.

Heh. I'm not asking you to believe me, I'm asking you to believe science. You also assume everyone believes in evolution. The fact is is that when a scientist contests materialist evolution they're labeled a creationist and brushed off like you so often do. There's an establishement trying to perpetuate materialist evolution either for good or bad ends, I don't know. But the establishment is already there, and that makes change difficult.

But its ok, I'll keep using science to guide you to the truth for as long as it takes. You'll make it someday.

But first, let's make sure we're on the same page. I'm not saying evolution is completely untrue, I'm saying that you've been shown true evolution and that its been used to trick you into thinking materialist evolution is possible.

I don't care about fossils. Give me proof of a truly positive mutation (one that doesn't subtract or corrupt genetics and adds new data (or in other words doesn't just manipulate the data the creature already has)) and I'll ask for your forgiveness and say that materialist evolution is possible.

The fact of the matter is, Matt, is that you've been tought junk science for so long that you wouldn't understand real science if it sat on top of your head. I just wish we could somehow weed out this problem, because its destroying our youth all through school.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 04/04/06 19:05.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: Science and Creation [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #68866
04/04/06 20:10
04/04/06 20:10

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"umm.. tha's the silliest thing I've heard yet.

Water is not DNA, DNA is not water. This makes no sense."

It's not silly, because both species of watermelons have all that water, because their DNA says to do that!

Come out of your SPACESHIP and get down to planet earth!
Get real man! Sheesh

Re: Science and Creation #68867
04/04/06 20:21
04/04/06 20:21
Coppell, Texas
Ran Man Offline
Expert
Ran Man  Offline
Expert

Coppell, Texas
lol

I appologize for that last "annonymous" post. I'm here at work now and are in a hurry and don't have much time right now. I like to have fun on these forums and not be so serious. Too me it's more than just expressing an idea, but it is FUN! Kinda like that new video game I'm making right now with A6.

Sorry about that last annonomous post!

But, hey I like this new "annonomous" thing, because then I can post stuff and you guys cannot get mad at me, right?
Can you get MAD at me? No, right? Please don't!

Oh well gotta go now. I leave it up to my farmer friend from rural America the BIG "Irish Farmer" and also "neonotso" to straighten you guys out.

You guys are all great! SHALOM!

Cougar Interactive

www.zoorace.com
Re: Science and Creation [Re: Ran Man] #68868
04/04/06 22:47
04/04/06 22:47
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

The big difference between us humans and chipanzees is not the physical, but rather it is the spiritual or our intellect and soul that is within all us humans. Can't you see that??? That is the reason why we are so much more intelligent than Chimps are...

If you say so , I love irony...
(Btw. you've just agreed upon the physical similarities, well that's exactly that 96% that's similar indeed and euhmm, how exactly do you know that chimpanzees can't be intellectual or have souls? Did you ask them? Because as far as I know you can't even measure those things by humans. I personally think that the 4% difference lies in the fact that we are not as hairy as they are, that we are smarter and that we fully walk bipedal and some physical details, but basically 96% is still the same.)

Let's for example say that 5+2 = 7 (most of you would agree or be able to comprehend that, right j/k), thus 5 and 2 are needed to form 7, if 7 would be equal to the current state of a species and both 2 and 5 are species too, where 5 is the genetic predecessor of 2 and eventually 2 is the predecessor of species no. 7, then off course it's logical that all three share a lot of similar DNA code (genetic information) which also does indicate the obvious connection (5+2 = 7, remember?). So much for your illogic argument.

Cheers

Last edited by PHeMoX; 04/04/06 22:52.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Science and Creation [Re: Irish_Farmer] #68869
04/05/06 01:04
04/05/06 01:04
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Irish Farmer, I stand by everything i said. I'm afraid that I cant prove evolution for you, because in science, we dont "prove" theories. We can gather evidence in support of them, and weigh that evidence. We can also find evidence against a theory, and if there is enough evidence then we can "falsify" or disprove a theory. Evolution has to date not been disproven or falsified.

This is how science works. I have to say that upon reading your responses, that you havent even had basic science classes, or didn't pay any attention to the scientific method. I am beginning to feel sorry for you actually, because in a modern society, we can still produce ignorance on this level.

That you actually call evolution "junk science" is indicative of this. There is nothing "junk" about it. It may be wrong, but it is good science. Plenty of good science was shown to be false.

For instance, take the theory of "luminiferous ether". In the 19th century, particularly after Maxwell, most scientists belived that all waves had to have a medium in which to propagate. Therefore light had to have a medium too.. and since light tavels through space, space had to filled with some sort of substance, which is called the ether.

This was a logical theory. It was basically falsified by experimentation, which tried to to detect "eddies" or currents from the ether, using complicated apparatus. No such effects were detected, therefore the idea of the ether was shown to be most likely false. Eistein then showed that light didnt need a medium in which to propagate.

So therefore, to attack Darwinian evolutionary theory scientifically you need to gather evidence against it, from experimentation and observation. Then you need to weigh that evidence against the evidence for evolution.

None of your arguments constitue evidence against evolutionary theory. In fact most of your arguments are flawed inherently. Arguments alone are not generally good evidence for or against a theory. You need data that need to be gathered scientifically.

While many, many things point to Darwinian evolution, nothing points against it. All you do is make arguments against minutiae you dont really understand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the basic ways to measure the worth of a theory is it's power to explain, and to predict. Evolution is overwhelmingly succesful at both..here are some examples:

1)Darwin predicted that the earliest human ancestors would be found in Africa, and they were.

2)Darwin predicted that would be so-called "intermediate" forms between various species, and even orders. We found this, like as in Archeaopteryx (which is intermediate between the archosaur clade and aves).

3)Darwinian evolution posits (although Darwin probably didnt even realize this) a measn to pass aquired traits to next generations. So in effect Darwin predicted Gentics, and thus DNA. It wasnt until the rediscovery of Gregor Mendel's work that we had a notion of this actually owrked. When watson and Crick discovered the structure of DNA, we then learned exactly what form genetic data takes.

4) Darwinian evolution explains and predicts the close genetic relationship between all known life, a fact that without evolutionary theory would be unexplainable. Imagine without evolutionary theory, how odd it would be to see that we shared genes with yeast or cockroaches. this may not "prove" evolutions, but a sane man would have to accept it as very strong evidence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Evolutionary theory also explains how certain adaptations become generic. For instance, how to explain flgihtless bird species, such the flightless cormorant(Nannopterum harrisi) of the Galapagos? It has close relatives on the continent that are not flightless. Why would this happen? because flightlessness seems to be advantageous when there are no predators, such as on a remote island.

Therefore, the reduction of wings must be brought about by mutation, and then selected by reproduction benefits, and it becomes generic. This is how evolution works. The loss of flight ina bird is not "devolution", it is not loss of genetics as you think ofit. They dont suddenly "lose" some genes (where'd me genes go man?). So for this bird, in this environment, the loss of wings was good thing, and the product of a benefical series of mutations.

Just like Sickle cell anemia was a good adaptation in areas where malaria was prevalent. I have sai this before, but since you are intent on being pig-headed, SICKLE CELL WAS BETTER THAN DYING OF MALARIA. There are other cases besides sickle cell, of one potentially harmful trait arising because over time, it was favorable--in a given condition. Sickle cell doesnt occur where there is no malaria. Therefore it was beneficial, because it became generic.

The fact is there is no devolution, because unfavorable traits are less liekly to be passed on. Natural selection only passes on, those traits which are favorable for survival and reproduction. The sickle cell thing just illustrates this.

You won't find "devolution" in any textbook, because it is not a scientific concept. Its a dead horse, stop beating it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To sum up, none of the things you mention in your "paper" constitute evidence AT ALL, let alone evidence against Darwinian evolution. You can only deny reality so much until you look rediculous. The reality is, that all life on Earth is related to all other life. Each species to each species, more or less. Humans are not the pinnacle, we are not unique or somehow above the cycles of life and death.

We are animals, like chimpanzees and platypuses. We are mammals, but we are also related to dinosaurs and birds too. We were once not more than a prey, now we are the preditors. But still, try telling that to the hungry aligator that walks across your path in the swamps.

Creationists seem to require certainty, a certainty that science can never provide. We can never know some things for sure, we can never explain exactly how everything happened. We can come close, and every bit of progress we make is important.

To deny evolution is to deny more than Darwin. It means you deny all biology, genetics, geology, paleontology, and in fact all science, because evolution is the result of the scientific method. And by the same token, you deny everything good about mankind.

We must never give in to defeatists like you Irish, who really, deep down, despise humanity. Yes, you really hate humans beings, Homo Sapiens, the thinking man. You yearn for the swamp, like the muck in your grey and dreary soul.

You offer no evidence but your own blazing certainty that everyone is wrong and you and ONLY YOU are right. You feel you have a special knowledge, a secret knowledge. This you hold onto in the shrieking emptiness of your life. But the emptiness is you.

The world will go on, and so will science. You can't wait until Darwin is relegated to the Dark Ages? You will wait forever, and it will be in a place you Christians call Purgatory.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Science and Creation [Re: Irish_Farmer] #68870
04/05/06 01:24
04/05/06 01:24
San Diego, CA
M
Marco_Grubert Offline
Expert
Marco_Grubert  Offline
Expert
M

San Diego, CA
Quote:

Give me proof of a truly positive mutation (one that doesn't subtract or corrupt genetics and adds new data (or in other words doesn't just manipulate the data the creature already has))

I am still not quite sure what you are looking for. Let's try it this way: think of genetics as though it was a book. There is point mutation which changes a single character or inserts/deletes a blank space and then there are copying errors/cross-overs/etc. which copy or move words/paragraphs from one page to another. In this analogy, when you say "adds new data" you are looking for a process that appends pages ?

Quote:

I just wish we could somehow weed out this problem, because its destroying our youth all through school.

Not to mention all those nobel prize winners...

Quote:

How else do you describe an animal that looks pretty human? Its like you're asking to be shown some kind of miracle. Similar characteristics are logically inevitable, and it doesn't get to the root of the problem of how materialist evolution doesn't work in the first place.

While similar characteristics are to be expected there is no reason to expect identical genes. Given the redundancy of codons to encode amino acids (3 codons to 1 acid) you could have exactly the same individual with a genetic code that is 99% different (you just need to keep the START and STOP markers in place). So why then is there a 96% similarity if only 1% is required ?
Even if you were to reuse some genetic information from one creature to create another one, why would two different creatures like chimps and humans have the same junk DNA that no longer can produce proteins ? Evolution has no problem explaining this (common ancestor prior to speciation into chimps and humans) but creationism would need to posit a lazy or not too bright creator.

@Matt:
Quote:

Natural selection only passes on, those traits which are favorable for survival and reproduction.

Natural selection passes on traits that do not reduce the amount of offspring. Thus traits can be both neutral or favorable but not negative, in other words it selects against harmful mutations _not_ for positive ones.

Last edited by Marco_Grubert; 04/05/06 01:35.
Page 10 of 54 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 53 54

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite