Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 950 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 43 of 54 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 53 54
Re: cause [Re: Irish_Farmer] #69191
06/02/06 08:36
06/02/06 08:36
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Quote:

If its spontaneous, then why can we slap absolutes like half-life onto radioactive atoms? Surely, if it just happened randomly then the value wouldn't always be constant.

Half-life is a statistical value derived from the probability of an atomic decay. The probability is a defined value, but an individual decay happens random and causeless. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactivity

Quote:

I take it, from reading your links, that you say matter can be spontaneously created by black holes with virtual particles?

No, spontaneous matter creation has nothing to do with "black holes". It happens even without the presence of matter and fields and is called "vacuum energy" or "vacuum polarization". The creation of virtual particles at the event horizon of black holes however is caused by the gravity gradient and produces the Hawking Radiation.

Quote:

Here's the problem I've noticed that materialists have. By your very nature, you're so convinced that all there is, is the universe, that you can't even imagine anything beyond it.

Here's the problem that I see creationists have: All your posts in these threads are full of phrases like "is unimaginable", "can never happen", "is impossible" etc - targeted at scientific theories of nature. I think I pointed out that many of your "unimaginable" is not only imaginable, but even observed - like spontaneous matter creation.

A limit of imagination creates gods, demons or supernatural forces for filling the gaps.

However even then you should not let your thinking stop there. If I believed that a god created the universe, earth, animals etc, I'd ask a lot of questions about why and how he existed at all and why and how he tampered with nature. I would not be satisfied with phrases like "God has no cause" and "his reasons are unfathomable".

By the way, what's your permanent problem with materialism? I'm not a materialist. If you don't know the difference between materialism and atheism, just look it up in Wikipedia.

Quote:

[Adding time to a God who created time] is proof of limited thinking and narrow mindedness if you ask me. I just wouldn't have been so harsh about it.

All our minds are limited and narrow in a way. Some less, some more. One of the reasons for these threads is attempting to widen creationist's minds a little.

Re: cause [Re: jcl] #69192
06/02/06 12:56
06/02/06 12:56
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:

I'd ask a lot of questions about why and how he existed at all and why and how he tampered with nature. I would not be satisfied with phrases like "God has no cause" and "his reasons are unfathomable".

These questions have been answered by not only Christians on this forum(I just did yesterday) but also from theologians for hundreds and thousands of years. As per usual, you just ignored it.

Quote:

Here's the problem that I see creationists have: All your posts in these threads are full of phrases like "is unimaginable", "can never happen", "is impossible" etc - targeted at scientific theories of nature. I think I pointed out that many of your "unimaginable" is not only imaginable, but even observed - like spontaneous matter creation.

A limit of imagination creates gods, demons or supernatural forces for filling the gaps.

Nope, as I have said before numerous times, we dont have "gaps" in our knowledge, we have no "gaps" to fill.

Science, your god, has gaps.

Re: cause [Re: NITRO777] #69193
06/02/06 14:07
06/02/06 14:07
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

These questions have been answered by not only Christians on this forum(I just did yesterday) but also from theologians for hundreds and thousands of years. As per usual, you just ignored it.

If an answer to one of those questions doesn't make sense, then what? You just seem to accept it anyway, because it's part of what you believe.

Take for example the reason you've stated why God would want to create us. Like I said before, how could we know such a motivation of a God in the first place, isn't that just plain speculation? And most importantly where's the evidence of his existence? We or the universe doesn't make sense as an answer to this question.

That's like saying, you can't see, notice or feel him or any of his actions, but he is is there alright. Doesn't make sense to me.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: cause [Re: PHeMoX] #69194
06/02/06 23:21
06/02/06 23:21
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

One of the reasons for these threads is attempting to widen creationist's minds a little.

Because the inability to think of anything except what's right before my eyes is quite limiting to me.

Quote:

If an answer to one of those questions doesn't make sense, then what? You just seem to accept it anyway, because it's part of what you believe.

Because it does make sense. I have yet to run into a contradiction of God that has baffled me.

Quote:

Like I said before, how could we know such a motivation of a God in the first place, isn't that just plain speculation?

Ok, then, maybe we're wrong. That doesn't prove He doesn't exist. Or maybe, like gravity, we can scratch the surface of something without completely understanding it. Regardless of current theories on gravity, just from a layman's point of view, I know that I am attracted down to the ground. I may not know what gravity is, but I understand a certain aspect of it.

I may not understand God, but based on the fact that He created us, and that He lived directly with us (obviously manifesting himself in some way...though its unclear how) might suggest that he wanted us to live in fellowship with him. It doesn't mean that I understand God's entirety, but I do understand his purpose for his creation. Man, that almost gave my brain a cramp.

Quote:

That's like saying, you can't see, notice or feel him or any of his actions, but he is is there alright.

Would it really prove His existence to you if you did? How do you know you're not just crazy. There's literally no proof God can give you that you can't justify out of your mind. But I can guarantee you this, if you honestly repent and ask him to reveal himself...you will gain a personal relationship with him. Things will change. He won't reveal himself to your flesh, that would be pointless. He'll reveal himself where its important, your spirit. But anyway. That's just my two sense on that, I'm sure you don't believe in spirit and all of that nonsense.

Its obvious that debating God's existence is pointless. You've put blinders on your eyes, and they aren't coming off.

So let's just critique what you believe for a moment. I'll play the devil's advocate and assume that God doesn't exist for the time being. But now I have some rather strange points to bring up, because we have some problems here.

I'll seperate each one of my curious inquiries into numbers so that we can talk together on specific points. Now, be open minded about this. I'm not trying to lead your thoughts anywhere, for now. I'm just assuming that God doesn't exist and I want you to answer some of my questions that I'm curious about.

1). Knowing God had nothing to do with it, can we all agree that time had a beginning? That there was a point in which no time existed?

2). Again, knowing that there was no 'supernatural' force behind it all, can we all agree that space had a beginning? Again, that there was a point in which no space existed?

3). Concerning 1 and 2, if there was no space, and there was no time, then can we furthermore agree that before the universe existed, there was a general nothingness? A nothingness that is timeless (because time doesn't exist), spaceless (nowhere for matter or time to exist), and matterless (because where or when are you going to put stuff?).

4). Taking this to its logical conclusion, can we then agree that space, time, and matter had to generally come into existence at about the same time, or in conjunction with one another?

I just want to make sure we're on the same page.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: cause [Re: Irish_Farmer] #69195
06/03/06 06:10
06/03/06 06:10
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
i would say "no" to 1 and 2.
thinking of time as a line doesnt sound good to me.

the whole creation as well has a problem that if god can exist since ever why not something else as well. maybe the universe is eternal.
or the time or better said the speed of time is not constant but getting faster as we speak.
Maybe the density of the initial mass made the time speed eternal near to 0.
imagine the whole universe stuffed into one small marble sized ball. its mass could be able to stop time or slow it down.

if now the universe expands a consequence would be a speed up of the time. well, till the break even point when the time and mass balance is shaken and it starts to collapse again into one small marble just to expand again...forever.

and what if time can be so slow that it "creates" a balance of mass. starting with nothing and a "frozen" time the rules of physic made the time create a outbalancing mass.

i also wonder why people think that the universe needs to be created when everything "none man made" is a conclusions of reactions, physical rules and constelations.
nothing i know of or can see had to be "made" (biblical creationism).

everything is a part of a circle/cycle but on the other hand we demand someone started it? why?

its kind of weired that it is obvious that anything elementar is circle shaped. from the quarks to the stars this form seams to be the basic masterplan.
and one thing all circles all over the world have in common: they neither have a start nor an end point

cheers

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: cause [Re: Blattsalat] #69196
06/03/06 09:23
06/03/06 09:23
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Unlike religion, science is not based on a fixed mind set that "we all agree" on. Science has several hypotheses, but no finished theory that would answer those questions. Most hypotheses, like the Gabriele Veneziano model, answer all 4 questions with "no". According to some models, baryonic universes like ours are permanently created by phase transitions within an eternal 10-dimensional space they are embedded in. All those universes have slightly different laws of nature, resulting in a 100% probability for life conditions in many of them.

While science is seriously exploring the beginning of the universe, and the possibility of other universes, there are no ready answers at the moment. String theory can not yet predict the topologies of universes formed this way. The required mathematical tools that aren't developed yet.

A foundation dedicated to those questions: http://www.fqxi.org/

In the way the are asked, the obvious answer to the questions is "no" because we can not agree on something that we do not even know. Intuitively, I would also say "no" to the underlying assumptions. I see no reason to make such limiting assumptions about our world as long as there's no evidence for them.

Re: cause [Re: jcl] #69197
06/03/06 18:06
06/03/06 18:06

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bah, whatever. You guys are hopeless. Well, we don't really have anything to say about a self-creating universe, and since we don't know, we don't have to know. We just assume that it had nothing to do with God.

I thought my curiosities were pretty basic, anyone could grasp their concepts, but the only response I get is, "Science has a lot of guesses."

Why can't you have an open mind like that when it comes to God. Instead you keep repeating the same logical fallacies about him being part of time, or part of space, etc.

If you're too afraid to discuss the origin, in an elementary fashion, then suit yourself. I'm done with the God vs. Nothing debate.

Re: cause #69198
06/03/06 18:07
06/03/06 18:07
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
That was me, by the by. I just want to say that what I've just seen is cop-out stonewalling at its best.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 06/03/06 18:08.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: cause [Re: Irish_Farmer] #69199
06/03/06 18:38
06/03/06 18:38
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
you are misinterpreting what is said.
science is not fighting god or any concept per se. the idea is to find sollutions/evidence and proof for problems and concepts.

while the string theory for example fits common laws of astrophysic (or at least as much as we yet understand about it) the creationism thru god does not. at least not the way hardcore creationism is thought.

is the existence of god possible (biblical description of god in this case)? yes
does any common law or rule support the existence of god? no

so the bottom line is: if there is not one single mathematical, physical or in any way scientific observation/fact/rule or law that god has created time and space from the scientific point of view he simply has not.

histroy is full of examples that support that method. starting from vulcanos to atoms and bacterias.
either is the errutpion of a vulcano "created" by a higher force or a result of physics.

problem with the universe is that it is far more complicated then a simple vulcano or the sunset.

and to connect science with guessing is not valid at all. and if complaining about none open minded people you should keep that in mind as well.

the idea that "someone" created the universe is against anything we have observered till present day.
if nothing else gets created then why the universe in the first place.
wouldnt logic demand that it fits into this sheme as well?

if i claim that i have created the universe and all being because i am allmighty, would this be justification or proof enough for you as well?
or wouldnt you keep sceptical untill you have enough evidence to agree or disagree.

cheers

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: cause [Re: Blattsalat] #69200
06/04/06 02:56
06/04/06 02:56
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Actually, the more I think about it and read other atheist-theist exchanges, I've decided I was on the right path. Its apparent, from atheist arguments on this board, and elsewhere that atheism isn't a positive position, but the only evidence an atheist can come up for his beliefs is that theist beliefs aren't consistent.

In other words atheism only exists in a theist vaccuum if you will. You don't need to have all the answers, as long as you think I don't have all the answers. This is why everytime I ask, "how can nothing create something" your only response isn't to work out this unsolvable paradox, but to say, "How can God do it?" That's not even an argument. However, its justification for you, because you believe that as long as my position doesn't make sense to you, yours doesn't have to make sense at all because its just automatically right.

So, then, I want to get back to my original line of discussion.

Before the universe existed, would there not be a general nothingness? Assuming God does not exist, wherein absolutely nothing (that means even less than a vacuum, because a vacuum requires a universe to exist) did time, space, and matter decide to spring into existence? As a curious objective observer to both arguments (...) I just want to know how you guys would answer this question.

Obviously time and space have a beginning. What started this process? How is it even possible? I'm just curious.

I don't even see an argument for matter appearing for no reason. There are two main problems with this point. No where in your link did it mention that matter can be created out of absolutely nothing. Perhaps you can steer me in the correct direction cause I might just be missing it.

The second problem with this argument is that it requires that the universe already be in existence. I does nothing in the way of getting rid of every cause for matter, because the universe is an indirect cause for the possibility of matter being created out of nowhere. In other words, if the universe doesn't exist, matter will never create itself out of nowhere.

Actually there's a third problem. This is a negative position. I can't prove that nothing causes matter to come into existence in certain cases. I can only prove that we don't know of a cause. The same thing happened with vestigial organs. We couldn't prove that they had no purpose, we could only prove that we didn't know the purpose. Then some time later we found out. So this is certainly not proof that there are things in the universe that lack a cause.

Back on another subject: If decay were truly random as you say, we would not be able to slap an absolute value like half-life on it. If half-life isn't a constant, then we can't be sure of the age of the earth. So out of curiosity, how do we know the radioactive decay won't randomly happen all at once and bring the half-life down to almost nothing?

And again, you can't prove it happens for no reason, you can only prove you don't know the cause. And in fact, I've read many other websites that claim there is a reason it happens. So I would like to know who is right, and why.

Either way, it has no bearing on my argument. You say random decay proves that nothing I say is right. But that's a non sequitor. (You can deny this is what you meant, but your statement "Things you've said were impossible are possible." doesn't leave much to the imagination). My question wasn't how does something happen for no reason once the universe is there for it happen for no reason, its how does the universe spring out of no where. This goes beyond the question of things happening for no reason, but asks where something springs from a void of anything, including cause and reason. For you its good enough to 'prove' that I was wrong on one thing, because then you don't have to address the paradox of nothing creating something.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 06/04/06 06:25.

Page 43 of 54 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 53 54

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite