Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by EternallyCurious. 04/18/24 10:45
StartWeek not working as it should
by Zheka. 04/18/24 10:11
folder management functions
by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
lookback setting performance issue
by 7th_zorro. 04/16/24 03:08
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/15/24 09:36
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/14/24 07:48
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (SBGuy), 652 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 45 of 54 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 53 54
Re: cause [Re: Irish_Farmer] #69211
06/06/06 08:23
06/06/06 08:23
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Quote:

I just don't think that the evidence is as conclusive as you'd like me to believe. In fact, its pretty easy to see. Random news clippings about them being wrong about the distance of objects by 100s of millions of lightyears, etc.

You misunderstood something. If a scientist measures a property X (f.i. the distance of a star), he gives as result X +/-Y. Y is the error in his measurement, and has to be carefully derived.

Thus, science does not tell that the age of the univese is 13.7 billion years. It's 13.7 (+/-0.2) billion years. 20 years ago, it was like 10 (+/-5) billion years. And in 5 years, after evaluation of the Plack probe date, it will be more precise, like 13.72 (+/-0.03) billion years.

Even theories are modified or replaced whenever a new observation contradicts them. Because a change of a theory generates many Nobel prizes, all scientists are eager to find such contradictions. Thus, if a theory survives this process - as evolution, or Big Bang - you can be pretty sure that it's consistent with all current observations.

Hope this helps understanding.

Quote:

he's the God who created thermodynamics. Which, coincidentally, predicts that life will never start on its own. If you want a lesson in thermodynamics, just ask.

Of course. We had already discussed early in this thread how life started, and I thought we were finished with that, but if you want to give a lesson, please go ahead. For your preparation:

http://www.wiley.com/legacy/college/boyer/0470003790/reviews/thermo/thermo_intro.htm

Re: cause [Re: PHeMoX] #69212
06/06/06 08:58
06/06/06 08:58
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
@Phemox and Dan: The discussion about archeological confirmation or refutation of bible stories is interesting - I even read today in the newspaper that the Garden of Eden was identified in Turkey - but it does not fit in this thread. I think the bible contradictions thread, or a new one, is a better place.

Re: cause [Re: jcl] #69213
06/06/06 17:06
06/06/06 17:06
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

ou misunderstood something. If a scientist measures a property X (f.i. the distance of a star), he gives as result X +/-Y. Y is the error in his measurement, and has to be carefully derived.

Thus, science does not tell that the age of the univese is 13.7 billion years. It's 13.7 (+/-0.2) billion years. 20 years ago, it was like 10 (+/-5) billion years. And in 5 years, after evaluation of the Plack probe date, it will be more precise, like 13.72 (+/-0.03) billion years.

Yeah, I think you're getting earth and universe ages mixed up with real values like the speed of light, or pi. Because those only change by a small amount to become more accurate. The earth has gone from several hundred million years to 4.6 billion years. Its not accuracy correction when it doubles in value every twenty years (until today). Could you imagine if the speed of light did that?

You may be looking at only the most recent measurements of the universe by the way. It too takes leaps and bounds. Its not just shaving off the excess error, its proving that the old values were error altogether. Yet they're touted as truth.

I understand that they'll modify the age when they find new 'evidence'. But real life values don't change that much. We take a measurement, and then refine it, we don't throw out the original measurement and make a whole new one. That just proves that we didn't know it to begin with, and to me proves that we never really can know for sure (despite claims).

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: cause [Re: Irish_Farmer] #69214
06/06/06 17:10
06/06/06 17:10
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Oh yeah, did we discuss the origin of life? I thought I mentioned how experiments failed, and then you guys just kind of gave up on that one.

edit: That link you gave was pretty much what I've already caught up on, except trying to go to the third page gave me an error, so I didn't see what I assumed would be the the conclusion about life being able to start on its own.

But then I can guess the article is going to conclude with the observation that thermodynamics permits some of the materials of life to be made. In which case we'll be right back where we started.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 06/06/06 17:19.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: cause [Re: Irish_Farmer] #69215
06/06/06 17:26
06/06/06 17:26
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Quote:

Oh yeah, did we discuss the origin of life? I thought I mentioned how experiments failed, and then you guys just kind of gave up on that one.

Not quite. As the errors in your post were pointed out, you mentioned something along the line "I have to look this up" (if I remember right) and then didn't come back to that topic.

If you've meanwhile looked it up, you're free to give your thermodynamics lesson now. BTW don't be afraid to follow the link - it's just a general introduction into thermodynamics for biologists, and does not mention the beginning of life.

Last edited by jcl; 06/06/06 18:19.
Re: cause [Re: jcl] #69216
06/07/06 05:41
06/07/06 05:41
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Ah, I must have gotten caught up in the other debates. I think I've done that quite a few times, which reminds me also to get back on that bible thread.

Anyway, yeah I did actually follow through, got myself a lesson in thermodynamics (similar to what you linked to, although I could only read the first two pages of your website before I got an error).

But the website I got my lesson in thermodynamics presented basically what your source did. It was divided into three lessons. One was theory, two was practical application, and three was practical application also, but more specific.

So, yes, we can continue this one. Although I'll probably brush up on thermodynamics again.

But anyway, I did follow the link. Is it not giving an error to you on the third page?, because I tried hitting continue about four times and....maybe its just my browser.

Re: cause [Re: Irish_Farmer] #69217
06/07/06 14:16
06/07/06 14:16
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
The third page reads fine here, at least with Firefox. Here's the direct link:

http://www.wiley.com/legacy/college/boyer/0470003790/reviews/thermo/thermo_equil.htm

- btw to your earth age problem: I don't know the history of the earth age determination, but suppose that an estimate based on sedimentation speed was used before we had radiometric dating. This way a lower boundary of the earth age could be estimated, like several hundred million years. Maybe you were confusing the lower boundary with the real age?

Re: cause [Re: jcl] #69218
06/07/06 16:10
06/07/06 16:10
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
It produces errors with Firefox also. The first time it opened fine, but when I went to the table of contents it gave me an error, then subsequent attempts to open it failed and succeeded. It seems to open up sometimes, but sometimes it doesnt, I dont know why.

Last edited by NITRO777; 06/07/06 16:14.
Re: cause [Re: NITRO777] #69219
06/09/06 19:16
06/09/06 19:16
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Actually, before I present my case. I'm just wondering. How do you believe life can start without violating thermodynamics? In simple terms. If you can (I'm not sure what you believe) would you be able to sum it up in a short paragraph?

Not to completely make your entire case, but just so that we have a starting point.

Re: cause [Re: Irish_Farmer] #69220
06/10/06 08:22
06/10/06 08:22
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
I assume you are referring to the usual thermodynamics argument on some creationist websites, like this: "According to the second law of thermodynamics, entropy can not decrease in a closed system. Life reduces entropy, thus the development of life is impossible by nature laws and requires a supernatural force".

You can look up the usual rebuttal on evolution sites, but here it is in short. The problem arises only because creationists do not understand what entropy is. Life on earth in fact increases entropy by dissipating energy from the sun. It would only reduce entropy if it happened without any energy transfer.

You can also see the obvious fallacy of the creationist argument when you consider that if it were true, not only abiogenesis, but also every birth or every growing of a plant would require a supernatural miracle.

Page 45 of 54 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 53 54

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite