Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by M_D. 04/26/24 20:03
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
M1 Oversampling
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:12
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
Eigenwerbung
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Nymphodora), 485 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 49 of 54 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 53 54
Re: Science vs Wack Jobs [Re: Irish_Farmer] #69251
01/22/07 13:59
01/22/07 13:59
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

What exactly would you expect to find, in this case? Non-conformity of the ocean floor? Like what we surely find?

A non-conformity as in no subsurface landbridge part that seems to be untouched. There should have been traces of massive erosion there. You would definately find evidence.

The non-conformity you probably are referring to is the higher part of the seabottom compared to both more left and right of that bottom, as if it's a land bridge underwater, right?

Well, imagine the force of those walls of the sea, according to the bible two massive walls and very high. If those come crashing down, that would be very visible on that land part's bottom which lays higher than the surrounding underwater surface. The erosion effect would be like a dam breaking, but instead of a crack becomming a hole, with these sea walls it would be water everywhere comming down and the force would be even stronger.

Quote:

It doesn't have to be extremely windy all the way between the walls of water.

It has to be according to the physics on our earth, apart from that doesn't the bible mention it was wind making the sea walls rise? Thus, you'd need winds that would literally blow people to death for such sea walls to rise. Off course your god can do anything, but according to laws of physics humans would simply die in such an event.

Quote:

There is a lack of physical evidence for other historical events that we accept as true. So, who knows?

Lack of evidence or lack of investigation and research? Sometimes it doesn't take much at all to prove something happened. Still I do agree, there are many events for which physical evidence (probably) lacks. Still, if something isn't presumable then why take it for granted anyway without evidence? If there's no evidence any speculation is quite pointless, unless there's evidence in favor of the opposite.

Quote:

There wouldn't be that big of a difference in speed, and why even send chariots if you're just going to ditch them anyway?

The difference in speed would be huge. Imagine a chariot drive through loose sand with wooden wheels, those would be awefully slow compared to a man on horseback with no extra payload of dragging a chariot through sand. (I know, a beach is probably a bit harder making it easier to ride on).

A little question by the way about what the bible says; they didn't ditch the chariots on purpose did they?

By now I know religion doesn't seem to work by means of logic ór evidence for that matter, honestly something that greatly disturbs me. I'm not saying the things we don't know should always make sense, but I ám saying the things we do know in this respect máke sense just fine. So why ignore the parts we do know in favor of believing in parts we don't know?

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Science vs Wack Jobs [Re: lostclimate] #69252
01/22/07 16:06
01/22/07 16:06
NRW, Deutschland
inFusion Offline
User
inFusion  Offline
User

NRW, Deutschland
Quote:

as for athiests, well you dont really have much of a case either, because your answer is basically, "i dont know the answers, but i know christianity is not"

Wrong. Our answer is: "We don't know yet, so we won't make things up like Religion does, instead we are going to continue researching and answer the important questions when we know the right answer."

Why should we know all the answers yet? Did humans know how to build airplanes 300 years ago? No, but they found out through research. So why shouldn't we yet have no complete answer to the origin of the universe? It's that simple.

Last edited by Stein_Im_Ofen; 01/22/07 16:08.

"Wer nicht mit der Zeit geht, muss mit der Zeit gehen" - Bernd Stromberg
----
www.kihaki.de/reincarnation
Re: Science vs Wack Jobs [Re: inFusion] #69253
01/23/07 04:07
01/23/07 04:07
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
yes, and i know its not a falsifiable claim to say this, but if you dont know yet, how can you say a higher being with its own system does not exist, also, i just read a little in the beginning of this thread, matt claimed that you cant be considered a true scientist and not believe in darwinist theories, not true, a true scientist would say that if darwin was right, we should be looking for the half monkey, half man, or that there should be a cross between a crocodile and an alligator somewere with a fourth tooth that doesnt extend all the way up, were is the evolutionary gradient?

Re: Science vs Wack Jobs [Re: lostclimate] #69254
01/23/07 15:52
01/23/07 15:52
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
If you are looking at the present, you are looking at a lot of branches of evolution (the ends of branches to be more precisely, eventhough they still grow). It's more difficult to see the gradient, especially cross-species. However you can see it in fossils all the time. There are plenty examples of fossils with rudimentary bone structures or other features that they have in common with other species, sometimes even of a different order. We already know a lot about humans to in this respect, hence the claim of apes being our ancestors. Always remember though that at the time of transition (which was infact a gradient itself!) between ape and man, there weren't a lot of us just yet. Finding very old human remains is rare and slows the overall research in this down. That's why once DNA was discovered people looked into DNA differences too.

When you have a tree it's very difficult if not impossible to judge his age when all you have is the end of a branche.

Evolution is a bit like that, but then we're not after the age, but moreso looking for the stems/roots of a species and it's family ties. This is infact possible. The idea of a 'missing link' only indicates that perhaps the chain should be one link longer instead. It's a bit like wanting to find pure green next to pure yellow, if you wish to find that good luck, because in a (normal color) gradient that's impossible.

Quote:

We don't know yet, so we won't make things up like Religion does

If we don't know yet, what they claim could be true if their source is accurate, so they're not necessarily making things up. Eventhough in generally I would definately agree with your comment, because I don't believe the bible can be accurate after such a long time,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Science vs Wack Jobs [Re: PHeMoX] #69255
01/29/07 19:15
01/29/07 19:15
South Africa
capanno Offline
Serious User
capanno  Offline
Serious User

South Africa
Recently Ive done research about evolution and biology. Its evident that most fascist evolutionists like matt, have no idea what neo darwinism requires, and what the theory teaches. They idolize richard dawkins, who, Im sorry, is a total loon. He's so driven by emotion he cant even asses his evidence critically.

I encourage every neo darwinian to spend time to research what they believe in. Then they will realize why top evolutionists confess that there is no evidence for the modern theory of evolution, or that it doesnt explains what we see today at all. I know this is hard to get your head around, but If you know what the theory teaches youll hopefully realize.

I recommend Dr Lee M Spetner's book, Not by chance. He shows on a molecular-biology level how ridiculous neo darwinism is. And before it gets accused of bias, he is an atheist.

have a nice day!

c

Re: Science vs Wack Jobs [Re: capanno] #69256
01/29/07 21:04
01/29/07 21:04
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
When posting on this forum, please try to give substantial arguments rather than mere ranting. Thank you.

Re: Science vs Wack Jobs [Re: jcl] #69257
01/29/07 21:55
01/29/07 21:55
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Quote:

not true, a true scientist would say that if darwin was right, we should be looking for the half monkey, half man, or that there should be a cross between a crocodile and an alligator somewere with a fourth tooth that doesnt extend all the way up, were is the evolutionary gradient?

It constantly amazes me, although i suppose it shouldnt, that poeple who argue about evolution often have absolutely no understanding of it at all.

These poeple have no substantial arguements.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Pepsi vs Coke [Re: capanno] #69258
01/29/07 22:20
01/29/07 22:20
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:

Recently Ive done research about evolution and biology.

Perhaps you should summarize a few points from your recent reading, I am also interested in what you learned from Spetner's book, as I have not read it yet, I have definitely heard of it.

Re: Pepsi vs Coke [Re: NITRO777] #69259
01/29/07 23:10
01/29/07 23:10
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Quote:

It constantly amazes me, although i suppose it shouldnt, that poeple who argue about evolution often have absolutely no understanding of it at all.

I will admit i am not the type to study something such as this, but my basic understand of it is that (dependent on which way you follow) either slow adaptations happened over long period of time (through mutation of a genes) or at various times through out the time line there was a large mutations happened, even these large ones should show a lot more of a detailed gradient than there currently is.

Re: Pepsi vs Coke [Re: lostclimate] #69260
01/30/07 02:38
01/30/07 02:38
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Coke
Quote:

Quote:

not true, a true scientist would say that if darwin was right, we should be looking for the half monkey, half man, or that there should be a cross between a crocodile and an alligator somewere with a fourth tooth that doesnt extend all the way up, were is the evolutionary gradient?

i usually avoid these sorts of threads because they don't get anywhere. however i was having a lil peek at the latest page and this quote ^^ amused me

if lostclimate's ignorance is so amazing, matt, maybe u should explain in what way he's wrong? let's see a substantial argument

such a belittling accusation should surely be backed by some hard evidence, coming from an intelligent evolutionist such as yourself

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Page 49 of 54 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 53 54

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite