Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 664 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: frozenbaby] #69308
05/11/06 07:00
05/11/06 07:00
USA
frozenbaby Offline OP
frozenbaby  Offline OP

USA
OK - apparently this project is "overshadowed" by some bad vibes. "TUSC". Now, don't know what the hell that is and haven't even done a search for it because it's of NO concern of mine. And if it's a DELPHI vs. C/C++ situation, then I won't get into that "this development situation is better than that development situation."

You have a fully functional situation here. Two .exe's that for now function while I work on integrating them into ONE. The client has an exit procedure problem that will give you an access errot - but won't hurt your system.

To state again - currently you can define a client (both local and remote), start MULTIPLE databases in the explorer module (with aliases) and use SQL. Once tables are defined - you can add, delete - well all those database things.

Before I encapsulate it into a .dll - I released the .exe to determine if you would like to see it go further. I have created a "wizard's" system for "noobs" to create databases and have an "alpha" of the .dll and a .wdl and a test level to show how to incorporate it.

But no one seems to be interested. If this is the case, I will stop development for the community here and use it for private projects and outsource it for other indie engines. Is anyone really interested in this or am I just wasting my time in the shadow of "TUSC" and it's bad reputation?

With all the whining and complaining that "we don't have tools", I would think the community would try to embrace this, download and evaluate it and then - at least say, "you're heading down the wrong path".

Have you stopped and thought what this can do ... static and dynamic data creation/storing? Instead of several .dll's - you could store (with proper dynamic queries) your "HIGH SCORES". You could store your items and inventory. For RPG's - your npc's responses. Whether he/she is interactive or not (in a BOOLEAN) and if so ... can they give quests. Do they offer rewards?

As structure now - DELLA allows you to create these databases. I purposely went ONE step at a time - first the actual engine so you see how it works - giving you the opportunity to give input into the ACTUAL ENGINE - the interface for that before I encapsulated it into a6. But yet - no one seems interested in the development process, before it becomes a "crappy" tool just thrown together.

The way a good software tool should be developed - input at every step.

Should I - or should I not continue this for this community. I am already using it in my project(s) and have people that want it for their. I held off release to them. You want it or not.

And don't compare this with anything else that might have been developed. Download the damn thing - play with it and give me some REAL feedback.

Some electrons may have been harmed in transmission, but most were caught in the "electronic condom" and recycled.
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: frozenbaby] #69309
05/11/06 07:26
05/11/06 07:26
germany, dresden
ulf Offline
Serious User
ulf  Offline
Serious User

germany, dresden
hey frozenbaby, i can only tell you what i think i cannot speak for the community. in my mind the 3dgs community consists only of a few good coders that understand the potential of your database thing. and those probably come up with their own solution.

the problem i see is, that you can create games already without your tool. i have to ask myself why do i need an external tool if all this can be done with 3dgs anyway?
database queries are not easy to understand in 5 minutes, most of the people here dare to write their own .wdl code because they are well fed with ready to click games together in 5 minutes templates.

people - especially the "noobs" are more impressed by visual things like the sphere plugin or olivers or triplex level editor. database means work, thinking and so no one has interested in it. most of the community just want to make games fast without many problems.

i for myself can say i havent come up with a problem yet where i would need a database... all the things you named can be done via your own textfile format for example. shure thats not as clean as a sql database but it works well for my needs.

i really like the way you put work into this and gave the opportunity to actively design this thing. to sum up it was probably a bad idea to create a database plugin for the 3dgs community.

if you where making a kick ass graphics plugin this thread would probably be 20 pages long. i dont mean this bad, its just the reality in my mind.

just look for a good professional team making a game with 3dgs to support them with your coding skills, make graphic plugins for a6 or even better try to write a port of raknet for a6

please dont take my reply too serious thats just my opinion. good luck with whatever you do in the future wheter its here or at another place.

edit: just look at the indiglow voice server or even the unofficial irc channel. there are 5 people online at peak times -> this shows how lazy 3dgs people are.

Last edited by ulf; 05/11/06 07:28.
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: ulf] #69310
05/11/06 08:43
05/11/06 08:43
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Hey frozenbaby,
im at school currentlz , my teacher allowed me to surf a bit through the net so I wont have "that" much time to tell you waht i wanted to say you this morning on TS.

I really appreciate DEL(L)A and I really need it!

Do you know why my project "Dark Age" is currently not advancing? Its because I need YOUR database, I need YOU. I am just waiting for this to be released and I can not do anything further on my project if you dont release your database, I already told you that I need it, and I told you that i need your database to continue developing on my game, i am just and only waiting for it to be released. If you wont do it for the community, ok, do what you want, or as you sauid, screw it! But do it for me! All my hopes for this database are with it, I need it, without it the idea of my RPG can and will not be able to be finished.

So I hope you wont stop on doing this.

regards
Mike

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #69311
05/11/06 09:15
05/11/06 09:15
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline
Serious User

United Kingdom
Well FB, you know how I feel about this.

Pull it from A6, work with us and those like Mr.Schwarz who are involved with us, and should anyone want DELA at a later stage they can purchase it through us.

Case Closed.

The Art of Conversation is dead : Discuss
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: frozenbaby] #69312
05/11/06 12:51
05/11/06 12:51
Chicago, IL
Marcus729 Offline
Marcus729  Offline

Chicago, IL
Hey Frozen
I have downloaded your latest stuff. Unfortunately I have been swamped at work and to top it off I am trying to get a lot of things done at home also.

I will try to get to this next week. This weekend is already booked up.

Please don't take my lack of time as a sign of no interest. Database programming is what I do all day every day at work. I have to be honest and admit I don't have a need for it in my (in my dreams that is) project at this time.

I want to participate just for the sake of helping you do this.

As stated above the community may not have a general interest for the reasons stated as well as there are other solutions, most notably MySQL. There is a DLL available in this forum for that solution.

MySQL has a head start on you and has a reputation. I think the only way you'll get peoples attention is with a demo. But as mentioned above also there isn't much you can do in a demo that can't be done without a database engine. Thus a probable reason for the seemingly lack of interest.

Once again I am planning on looking at this within the next week. If that is too slow for you than I am sorry but I just can't commit to anything sooner. My plate is pretty full at this time. I am hoping I will have more time this summer once a few things get resolved.

Sincerely, Marcus

Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: Marcus729] #69313
05/14/06 17:21
05/14/06 17:21
California, USA
bupaje Offline
Expert
bupaje  Offline
Expert

California, USA
@frozenbaby - I am one of those noobs to scripting even though I have been around here a long time. I have some project ideas that would benefit from a nice, simple and fast database as you describe -so I am interested. Seems like a good fast user friendly db has been requested many times over the years so I would say this will be very useful for anyone who is working on any substantial project. Please keep it going.

Find me at: |Stormvisions| Twitter|
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: bupaje] #69314
05/14/06 17:30
05/14/06 17:30
California, USA
bupaje Offline
Expert
bupaje  Offline
Expert

California, USA
Here's one more wacky idea from a guy who is famous for them. You might consider if any of the dialogue editors, ai, physics and other popular projects like Sphere that already have a following could benefit from your project. If so and you can add easy support -keeping noobs in mind- you automatically benefit from the users of these projects. For example "DELLA now supports automatic conversion of the popular XYZ Dialogue Editor to its database. Select 'Import and Convert XYZ' to rocket power your dialogue editor."

Given I don't program this may or may not make sense ....

Find me at: |Stormvisions| Twitter|
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: bupaje] #69315
05/29/06 07:12
05/29/06 07:12
USA
frozenbaby Offline OP
frozenbaby  Offline OP

USA
OK - time to get back to the living. I want to bump this post to keep it active and explain why I haven't made an effort/reponded.

On May 13th of this year - I had a home invasion. Let me explain. My shop is downstairs from my apartment/house. My business partner in our graphics business and I live upstair in a 3-bedroom "house". On that night - while I was working down here - 2 or more people climbed up on the roof of our business and invaded our home. Unfortunately, my partner was upstairs asleep when he heard a noise. Assuming it was me, he walked into a crime in progress. End results, he was beat in the head and stabbed 21 times. I heard the scuffle from downstairs - managed to lock myself in and call the police. By the time they got here - he was a bloody mess.

Upside - he's home now - "recouping" - but we had to close the business for awhile and I have been a "scared mess" - well both of us - since we are both walking around with pistols on us.

Home invassion - is the WORST type of crime - It strips you of you VERY SECURITY.

Consequently - haven't done much work on D.E.L.L.A since then. However, things have calmed abit - and at Ted's insistance; I have finished a beta of the program.

I state all this - because there has been some reference to TUSC. AGAIN, don't know what it is or care. But before RUMORS start - thought I would tell everyone EXACTLY what is going on.

I now have a version of D.E.L.L.A up and running on my server here - test for the next 7 - 10 days. At the point I will release it for BETA.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding - and for all that knew before I published this to the community - I appreciated your good thoughts and wishes.

-Michael.

Some electrons may have been harmed in transmission, but most were caught in the "electronic condom" and recycled.
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: frozenbaby] #69316
05/29/06 10:43
05/29/06 10:43
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline
Serious User

United Kingdom
If you need any help testing it FB, just gimme a shout.

The Art of Conversation is dead : Discuss
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: indiGLOW] #69317
05/30/06 11:06
05/30/06 11:06
USA
frozenbaby Offline OP
frozenbaby  Offline OP

USA
lol - on the site - "giveme, giveme, giveme". Hey already "ours" - but not until I run a full test with at least three other 'puters throwing random sql statements at "her".

Then and only then will I feel a little bit more secure that "she" is functional

And to all others - need you too - to run the beta when released, so I can try and fix as many "bugs" as possible.

Again, many THANKS.

-Michael.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de