Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, VoroneTZ), 1,258 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: When you die, then what? [Re: PHeMoX] #73427
08/27/06 10:51
08/27/06 10:51
A
Alberto Offline
Alberto  Offline
A

I am not so sure
Take for example a famous variant of the Turing test
You ask a person, some questions in chinese language
He does not know Chinese but you provide him with a manual for translating chinese ideograms
You can get consistent answers even though the person under test does not have any consciousness of what he is doing

Chemical reactions can "code" the "manual" or a " Set of rules " but "consciousness" seems to be quite an othe matter

Re: When you die, then what? [Re: Alberto] #73428
08/27/06 11:29
08/27/06 11:29
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
I tend to disagree. We see with our eyes, realise what's happening with our brain, because of the impulses and information send by our eyes, our brain tells us to be happy about it or not by telling the body to release certain chemicals, that's it. Even with such a test, I don't see why that would be different.

Quote:

You can get consistent answers even though the person under test does not have any consciousness of what he is doing

Not knowing what you are doing and trying to find out what works well or learning by those ideograms is hardly the same. The latter requires enough intelligence to be succesful, not a consciousness. But that maybe simply me not quite understanding this test variant.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: When you die, then what? [Re: PHeMoX] #73429
08/27/06 14:48
08/27/06 14:48
A
Alberto Offline
Alberto  Offline
A

Quote:

I

But that maybe simply me not quite understanding this test variant.

Cheers

This test variant has been proposed to emphasize( at least to try to..)the difference beetwen a human being and a machine
It is well known that no sofware has been yet capable to pass the Turing test

If you ask a set of questions to an entity behind a screen, sooner or later you will realize wether you are dealing with a human being or a computer

However even though in future a PC will pass the Turing test ,you can not claim that the machine have any consciousness for the reason explained before

Obviously there are also some proves against the existence of soul

If a cat attacks a mouse, the heartbeat of the mouse's mother drammatically increases even though she is in a safety place
It seems strange that a "pure reactive agent" can drive also some functions which apparently have nothing to do with the survival of the animal but which are very close to human emotions

The problem of soul existence is still open , in my opinion

Re: When you die, then what? [Re: Alberto] #73430
08/27/06 16:09
08/27/06 16:09
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Chemical reactions can "code" the "manual" or a " Set of rules " but "consciousness" seems to be quite an othe matter

No, consciousness is simply a lot of those chemical reactions all together, because one single thought is not the same as 1 chemical reaction somewhere, it requires a bit more. Why would a chemical reaction, with as result how we feel and react be different from our definition of 'conscious'?

Quote:

If a cat attacks a mouse, the heartbeat of the mouse's mother drammatically increases even though she is in a safety place
It seems strange that a "pure reactive agent" can drive also some functions which apparently have nothing to do with the survival of the animal but which are very close to human emotions

There could be dozens of reasons for the mother mouse having a fast heartbeat at that moment, it doesn't need a consciousness for it. When that last devestating tsunami came a lot of animals were already long gone. Did they sense it comming? That would still not mean they must have a soul. It does indicate a sense of consciousness, but I think we don't know much about that yet when it comes to animals,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite