by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, 7th_zorro), 923 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! #75249
05/24/06 11:59
05/24/06 11:59
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline OP
Expert
A.Russell  Offline OP
Expert
A

Japan
The Dark Castle Fantasty Writing Contest

Firstly, the good bit:

-PRIZES!

***** First Prize *******
US$50 via Paypal or equivalent in online shopping for those without Payplay.

The winner will also be contacted about a job to do writing for the
project. The game wil have four cut-scenes, three endings, and the writer will
also be consulted about world building and quests that lead to each way point in
his or her story.
Note: it might not be the winner who takes the job. If not it will be offered to
the best entrants.

***** All Challengers ******
Everyone who enters gets a free licence for Pachinko a Go Go! strip or regular
edition (depending if toon nudity is legal where you are and for your age)
*provided you make a serious entry

-WICKED! What do I do to win?

Write a very short story, a few paragraphs or half a page or so, for an opening
cut scene for my game concept. Please try to keep it under one page.

-AWESOME! What's it about?

This is a family game for learningEnglish as a second language. It is designed
for a family audience.

-COOL BANANAS! What do I write?

Basis of the story:
The player and her sidekick, the flying weasel are in a garden in an enchanted
forest. The first cut scene will feature the horrible, utterly despicable,
completely evil wizard, who will come into the garden and turn some
cute furry animals into slavering monsters. He will then say something utterly
evil and despicable and run away or disappear. In the garden also is a sign post
with two signs on it. "Eat these mushrooms," and "Don't eat those mushroomS."
Eating the good mushrooms does something to make the player more powerful,
eating the bad ones makes something funny happen, like the player turns blue,
grows donkey ears or is hit by an uncontrallable attack of the giggles.

NOTE: This is a suggestion. If you have a cooler idea, you can write that.

Here's a more complete concept:

As an RPG, it is a single player, 3d ,3rd person game, set in a vibrant fantasy
world. It is a story about good versus evil where you play an intrepid magician
on a quest to save the world. You will need to find your way through the
enchanted forests, searching for clues, collecting magical treasures and talking
to fantastic creatures. Along the way you will avoid perilous traps and battle
the evil forces that oppose you efforts to reach The Dark Castle and defeat the
horrible, utterly despicable, completely evil wizard who dwells within.

The game is set in a world that is a super-future of our own, which was
destroyed somehow by war or natural disaster and after a long long long long
time, re-awakened with humans alongside fantasy creatures like dwarves ,elves,
pixies and so on. In this world, palyers quest for parts of an ancient book that
has magical properties to endow the palyer with greater powers.

A horrible, utterly despicable, completely evil wizard has been turning cute
furry animals into hideous, scary monsters. Parts of the books are guarded by
these monsters. The monsters need to be defeated with magic to turn them back
into furry animals.

Ultimately, the player's quests lead to The Dark Castle, from which the
horrible, utterly despicable, completely evil wizard is making his magic.

The Characters:
Cat girl: "Nyara" Doesn't know much Engish, and is pretty cluless, but she is
cute, fun and a powerful magician.
The flying weasel: Cat girl's familiar, "CUI" Not very strong, but is a
"champion and a scholar" from a famous academy, and he is very knowledgable and
helpful.
The horrible, utterly despicable, completely evil wizard: That's what he is.
Embelish on these.

WHO WINS? The winning entry will ultimately be chosen by me, however it will
also depend on possitive feedback from forum members.

Legal Crap: Authors maintain all rights to stories submitted for this contest.

Contest ends: 18th of June 2006.

Post your stories in this thread. Have fun!

Last edited by A.Russell; 05/24/06 13:54.
Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: A.Russell] #75250
05/24/06 15:22
05/24/06 15:22
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
One day Nyara woke up. She thought that it was just a dream, that a flying weasel showed her a secret passage to this alternative dimension.
She hoped that this demonic creature she saw was not the evil wizard, who was claiming all off the Magic in this world his own, he praised himself to be, but just an illusion.
But the huge Mushrooms and the strange birds and lights that covered the forest in this mysterious and yet beautifully coloured fog told her that she was not dreaming.
So did Lester, the flying weasel who came to her last night to find the Girl with the third eye. Unknown Letters on the Signs in front of the Mushrooms. Some foreign Language it seems.
Unable to read the Signs, and starving from a long sleep, Nyara just decides to eat the Mushroom behind the sign that reads BAD. A bad mistake it seems, as all of a sudden, her head grows in size. Out of an instinct she eats the Mushroom behind the sign that reads GOOD and her head grows back to normal size. Not only that she feels stronger than ever before.
Wherether it was just a mistake by that magical creature or really destiny, Nyara is about to face the greatest adventure she could possibly imagine, and no one but herself and Lester of course can help her to find the Magic Bracelet that is able to imprison the Dark Priest again...
-------------------------------------------

I know its short, and i know its not original, but that was what came onto my head when i first saw the pictures. I might redo it or completly write something new lateron though...

Last edited by SPlKE; 05/24/06 18:05.
Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: sPlKe] #75251
05/24/06 15:35
05/24/06 15:35
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline OP
Expert
A.Russell  Offline OP
Expert
A

Japan
Who is the evil Wizard?
What do those funny signs say?
Should she eat this mushroom?
What does the evil wizard want?
What are his intentions?
How will she stop him?

What happens in the garden with the mushrooms?

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: A.Russell] #75252
05/24/06 17:31
05/24/06 17:31
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
heh, I always like "remmeberings"

Nyara once had a family. She once had dad, mum and a brother. She once had dinners with them. But not anymore, not since they were assassinated. She was alone and grew up along with many problems and diffuculties. She survived only by her magical abilities that were awakened when Nyara was ten years old (detailed "history" later).

Now, she stands at front of two signs "don't eat" and "do eat". Nyara chooses to eat the "do eat" side mushrooms, she is hungry afterall. Just about she was going to take one. Somekind of a weasel attacked her and took her away from them. Since she was hungry she couldn't handle any magics and was helpless. Luckily, the weasel wasn't aggressive, actually he was pretty nice.

Weasel told her that she can't eat them. Neither side. She was so eased and asked where she could find food. Weasel smiled and showed the way. After she ate and regained her powers, she finally asked the name (if any) of the weasel. He just smiled and then said, "Cui". Nyara asked him to go with him, to her house. They traveled a while (with enemies around, of course) and got to the house, just to see it was turned upside down.

When they tried to get out, two evil witch's guards attacked them. In that time, Nyaras special skill showed its way out and the guards had no chance (of course, she has to be in significant level oslt*). Also, they found a piece of paper. a map, to be exact.

Not very hard to quess they went to the place the map leaded, to the horrible, utterly despicable Dark Castle. They entered the castle and fought the way to the evil witch. There he was, destroying the natural power of Saiton. "Stop it!" screamed Nyara. Witch seized. Silence. "Is it you, sister?". Nyara got shocked. "BROTHER!?", "What are you doing!?". Evil witch just laughed quietly. "To have my revenge against the assassins of my family."... Nyara dropped tears. "Stop it, immediatly!" shouted the weasel. "Nyara, he is your brother, right? Let me handle it, so you don't get the feeling of murdering your on bro." "no." (battle against the evil witch).

After the evil witch was defeated, the magic didn't still revert. "Nyara, it didn't do the trick.. I must ask a question. Answer me straighly and honestly. Can you revert it, do you have enough power left?". "Me? um.. I hope so.. what do I do?" "Follow my words" "blah blah". Nyara used her all powers and fainted for week. When she woke up, the weasel flought over her happily and asked to look out. (camera moves out from the window and views grassy and sunny landscape).

I dunno, too short I think.. and the idea sucks a bit =/

EDIT: lolled paragraphs

Last edited by Inestical; 05/24/06 17:45.
Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: Inestical] #75253
05/24/06 17:52
05/24/06 17:52
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline OP
Expert
A.Russell  Offline OP
Expert
A

Japan
Hmn, okay, once again:

Basis of the story:
The player and her sidekick, the flying weasel are in a garden in an enchanted
forest. The first cut scene will feature the horrible, utterly despicable,
completely evil wizard, who will come into the garden and turn some
cute furry animals into slavering monsters. He will then say something utterly
evil and despicable and run away or disappear. In the garden also is a sign post
with two signs on it. "Eat these mushrooms," and "Don't eat those mushroomS."
Eating the good mushrooms does something to make the player more powerful,
eating the bad ones makes something funny happen, like the player turns blue,
grows donkey ears or is hit by an uncontrallable attack of the giggles.

Just concentrate on the one scene.

I'm looking for cool, funny and amusing. Zanny, otre, fantastic welcome. Good English not essential, but certainly appreciated. I hope you know the difference between their and there, and can do fancy stuff like paragraphs.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: A.Russell] #75254
05/24/06 18:05
05/24/06 18:05
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
you want storyline for that scene or the whole scene?

does it HAVE to be based on that basis?

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: A.Russell] #75255
05/24/06 18:06
05/24/06 18:06
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
post changed. i hope it fits now...

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: sPlKe] #75256
05/25/06 05:02
05/25/06 05:02
Canada
Stansmedia Offline
Serious User
Stansmedia  Offline
Serious User

Canada
The sun is rising into a clear blue sky over top of the warm vibrant forest. Nyara is sat against a large tree, with weasel curled up on her lap. They had been traveling through the forest all night and decided to sleep under a very large apple tree. The sun slowly casts more and more light over the forest as it rises until its beam brigthens Nyara's face. She clenches her cheeks with the intent not to be woken up yet, but a large red apple falls from the branch directly above her and wacks her in the head.

Her eyes open wide and the first image shes sees is of the bright happy forest which emmediatly brings a smile to her face. Nyara looks down at weasel who is still sound asleep on her lap. He mubles "No... No, I don't want the breakfast special... just... just an order of bacon".
Nyara pokes him and weasel mumbles more, "Why are you poking me... get me your manager".
She continues poking him until he awakes and ceases to mumble about his fantasy of eating a great breakfast. "Oh.. Good morning!".
"Were you dreaming about that Bed and Breakfast in Lakeview again?" Nyara asks.
Weasel shakes his head and says "No I don't think so. Hey, can we cook some bacon?".
Nyara rolls her eyes and explains that there is only enough food for one meal. "What are we going to do?" asks weasel.

Nyara and weasel ponder how they are going to get food, looking around with their hands on there chins, not realising that just above them are countless fresh apples. They ponder some more... Suddenly a large apple falls onto Nyara's head. She picks it up and grunts, then throws it out of sight in a rage. "Hey!" yells weasel, "Theres a bunch of mushrooms over there! Lets go collect some!".
They franticly grab there gear and sprint to the patch of mushrooms. When they get close enough they see a sign that says "Eat these mushrooms", with an arrow on it pointing to dark blue mushrooms, and another sign that says "What ever you do, don't eat these mushrooms. They will unhook you from reality and give you indegestion and heartburn. Please consult your physician before use", with an arrow pointing to sparkling pink mushrooms that look, well, just inviting and happy. Nyara and weasel, being the cautious adventurers they are, nod at the signs and eat a handfull of dark mushrooms. Within seconds Nyara begins to sparkle and her face disapears, leaving just a patch of skin where her eyes, nose, and mouth should be. She runs around in a panic and trips over a log. Weasel with a guilty look on his face and a weird array of sparkles forming around him realises somethings bad is going to happen, and just before he can say anything he morphs into a peice of pizza and falls onto the ground. The duo are rendered imobile and lay there in the mid day sunlight.

From a distance you can hear an evil laugh, so nutorious that you just KNOW its that jerk the wizard. He is floating above the apple tree laughing histerically with a load of apples anchored in his left arm, and hurling apples with his right trying to strike Nyara in the face... well... "patch of skin" anyway. He slowly stops laughing and gets bored of picking on helpless people, and teleports out of the area.

A marksman is passing by and see's what has happend to our adventurers. He runs up to the signs above the mushrooms and says "Somebody turned the signs around!".
The man switches the signs back, and grabs two pink mushrooms. He crushes them up and sprinles them onto Nyara and Weasel. The sparkly mushroom dust turns them back into there original form. "Are you alright?" asks the man.
"Oh yeh totally fine... NO IM NOT ARLIGHT! I HAD NO FACE!!!" yells Nyara.
Weasel gets up, with a blank look on his face. "You know, this might sound weird... But I think being a pizza was actually really cool. Everything felt so... delicious".
Nyara and the man stare at weasel with an ackward glare. The man wished the duo saftey in there travels and continues on his journey. "I bet all this was the evil wizards fault, now we REALLY need to stop his shenadagins", says Nyara.

Weasel agrees and they get ready to treck farther into the forest. Nyara picks up a hand full of pink mushrooms, assuming that they may come in handy later on. The duo begin walking, not knowing that a cruel twist of fate (and a really funny one at that) lies ahead in their travels.

To Be Cont'd...

lol, i dont know if yall pictured it the way I did, but I think this is pretty funny. throwing apples at a gimped persons face laughing hysterically... oh thats golden.

Last edited by Stansmedia; 05/25/06 05:08.

Decessus - 80% done. 100% abandoned.
GET MY ANDROID GAME! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lasertrain.zspinballfree&hl=en
Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: Stansmedia] #75257
05/26/06 15:40
05/26/06 15:40
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline OP
Expert
A.Russell  Offline OP
Expert
A

Japan
Nice story Stans. The dialogue would be a bit hard for the ESL students, but lots of good situation comedy in there.

Spike and Inestical, what you have written is more like a synopsis than a story. Don't be discouraged, though. Have another try.

I found a couple of interesting links for RPG story writing today. Perhaps they will give some of you inspiratoin to make an entry:

https://eduforge.org/frs/?group_id=72
Try the RPG Storyteller Example

Also, a nice tutorial about making RPG fantasy stories:
http://www.kirupa.com/developer/actionscript/gamestory.htm

Please read the first post in this thread so you know what to write about.

Last edited by A.Russell; 05/26/06 15:42.
Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: A.Russell] #75258
05/26/06 17:11
05/26/06 17:11
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
so you would need a complete story with dialogue under one page?
impossible-.-
usually, the game should explain the story, not vice versa. let the player experience the story, and just use a quick introduction in the beginning. its for non english speakers isnt it?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de