by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (7th_zorro, Aku_Aku, 1 invisible), 579 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: sPlKe] #75259
05/26/06 17:36
05/26/06 17:36
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline OP
Expert
A.Russell  Offline OP
Expert
A

Japan
I just want a story for one scene, or even part of one scene. I am trying to find someone with writing talent. This is a story driven RPG. Yes, for the most part, the player will experience the story rather than be told. There will be contraints by the syllabus and language level to work with. Also, writing scripts for cut scenes and character and simple world development.

I appreciate your frustration. Please go over the instructions and take your time.

More Good Links:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/frpg/site/

From Gamasutra:
Quote:

Story RPGs are story driven. There's a reason for talking to or killing people and monsters, a reason to build or destroy things...

Players of RPGs must have some degree of freedom in how they follow the threads of the plot and, in some cases, how the plot resolves itself. They can often pick the order in which they accept quests or even which quests they take and which ones they ignore. Further, how they conduct themselves during a quest, and how they interact with other characters, can alter the course of the story and its outcome.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/game_design/19990115/remodeling_01.htm

You don't have to worry about all that for this competition. Just write a short, fun peice of fiction based on the scene and characters I posted at the beginning of the thread.

Last edited by A.Russell; 05/26/06 18:15.
Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: A.Russell] #75260
05/26/06 19:43
05/26/06 19:43
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
Okay, another shot I will ONLY make for the scene AT the place, not them going or coming.

- Geez.. Why I need to be the only one being not able to do this thing.. um.. reading? mumbled Nyara.
- Take it a break.. Cui sneered. Nyara gave small smile and sat down.
- I'm hungry.. Can you tell me what those signs do? Nyara asked curiosly.
Cui flew at the signs and red them quickly. -That's the thing.. he thought. He flought his time around the mushrooms near the signs while thinking what to do. Nyara started to get frustrated, -Just tell me what they do, Cui... I'm bored. Cui Flew at Nyara.
- Signs don't DO things they just are and point to things saying what there is. Like now the left one point to down-left and says "Eat these mushrooms". Therefore, the right one points to right saying "Don't eat these mushrooms". Nyara bent her head to the side and said smiling: - Okay.

She stood up and examined the mushrooms. She was hungry so she took a mushroom at the left side. After eating it she started feeling dizzy. Cui took a sharp look and flew at the mushrooms and then the signs. - They must've been changed.

Cui took a mushrooms from the right side and made Nyara eat that one. Nyara just smiled a while, just to fall back and faint, still with her smily face. Cui took a long breathe and sat next her. - You little nonsense g.. girl.. Hey! I'm getting.. tired.. too. Cui dropped down.

When he next time woke up, Nyara was jumping arouhnd and doing some nonsense things. Cui's head hurt and he stood up.
- What time is it?
- Time?
- Ah yeah, you can't read clock... Cui checked his clock and doing it he saw a shadow behind him... More to follow.. maybe

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: Inestical] #75261
05/27/06 02:58
05/27/06 02:58
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline OP
Expert
A.Russell  Offline OP
Expert
A

Japan
I have this going on a writer forum as well. Here is a peice from "TheReMonster":

Quote:

Nyara rummaged through her leather satchel, searching for the ivory lute that had been given as a gift. The light breeze tossed her hair about her shoulders. Finally she found what she was looking for.
"Hurray! Play the Flower Song!" Cui, her weasal familiar, danced with glee around her feet.
"But of course," she said with a smile. Her lips pursed against the instrument and a soothing tone filled the small garden.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: A.Russell] #75262
05/27/06 04:31
05/27/06 04:31
Southern California, USA
G
GhostwriterDoF Offline
GhostwriterDoF  Offline
G

Southern California, USA
Into the land of FelledSpell, you find yourself at the start,

to begin walking along a road entering a magical forest, soon to be met on the way by Nyara and Cui, who are also new to the land. She tells you everyone she has met along the road has said that they’re afraid of a mysterious, evil wizard and that the land is called FelledSpell because its real name has been lost to all knowledge.

She tells you she is a powerful Sorceress who was working out a spell in her castle when something went wrong. The next thing she knew, she woke up on a hill a day’s travel to the west.

In reality she is a wizard’s apprentice who was playing with things she should not have been, the consequences being that she had cast herself into this place by accident. In truth she has some skills that are beyond her years but, since she is young and inexperienced, she will need your help to figure things out. (This may be found out anytime in the game or possibly towards the end to help set up the three endings.)

She will often get you into trouble because of her curiosity, which is what caused her to be in this situation to begin with. Nyara is bold in the heart because her teacher, a master wizard, is a powerful force to be reckoned with who serves the side of good in her homeland.

Nyara tells you that she has decided to uncover the mystery of this evil wizard who plagues the beautiful lands of FelledSpell. Here she asks you to join her. This will serve the game using her to teach the user interface, how to interact with her and with Cui. When the player is ready, they begin their adventure and make their way down the road.

Coming upon a garden further down the road, while still in the distance they see a small creature run into the middle of the garden and stop suddenly shaking in terror, following close behind is the evil wizard. He does not notice you or your new companions as he speaks to the little creature.

“Little pretty things, little fuzzy things does make me ill, words too the Princess loved so all now succumbs to my will”.

With that the wizard waves his wand and the little creature turns into a hideous monster that groans and runs off out of the garden. He openly laughs hysterically leaning back his head and then disappears in a flash of smoke, his laughter still echoing while it slowly fades with the wisps of smoke dissipating in the gentle breeze.

Who is this evil wizard? Why is he doing this? You will have to wait for the game to find out

A.Russell, the rest really depends on how you set up the language learning system. Are you going to be teaching words? Sentences? Common things, modern technological things to be written into the story too? Since it is a future world of our own I suspect there will be some existing modern machine type things to discover as well?

For consideration:

Note: User Interface is driven by making decisions for Nyara and Cui to interact with the world. Except for controlling Nyara's movement, the User will not have a direct interface with the world except for typing in requests and responses to prompts. Main Objective: to discover the lost name of the lands and defeat the evil wizard.

Note: eating the good mushrooms (or things) will open up hints, eating the wrong ones will cause Nyara and/or Cui, depending on who is brave enough to taste, to experience the silly things that happen. Sometimes if you are unsure that Nyara should taste, touch or sniff, you can make sure to have Cui be the test victim, however you will get less of a clue this way.

Note: Signs could use international symbolism for general words like danger, or poison. Points could be accumulated for finding additional words in English that have similar or the same meaning. Words could also be worked like a puzzle, starting off jumbled for higher levels.

Note: There will also be flowers to pick, with colors to be spelled out, along with other things that smell to be smelled out (plus textures to be felt out?). If you come upon a house, there should be utensils and everyday objects to also be “discovered”.

Is the whole world going to be interactive, tied in with words and sentences as well? Plenty there is, to be worked out.

The rivers of time erode away the mountains of existence...
Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: GhostwriterDoF] #75263
05/27/06 13:03
05/27/06 13:03
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
This is written in script form for a cutscene or small movie. its not a real script, but its written similar, as you might see...

The sun reached its zenith, and as the birds fly by, the scene shifts down to reveal a huge and blooming forest, with mor birds that fly by. the camera rolls down and below the trees, whre the light shimmers through the leafs. a strange coloured fog followed by colourfull bubbles hovers in the ground, and as the camera rolls down to reveal more, the like sof huge mushrooms begin to emit.
the camera stops at the ground, and our heroine walks from behin the camera into the scene, holding hand to a creature that seems to be a winged weasel that walks with her.
she sits down below a mushroom to take a rest...
NYARA: Phew... I tell you my friend, this journey is tough. Where are we going anway?
ALISTAIR: Wesa are going to Husa-Basa, biga Castle from evil Wizzad tosa....WHUSSAGASA!!!
Alistair takes Nyara and jumps with her behind a Mushroom. The scene shifts to teh ether side of the clearing and reveals a cunning warrior. He has some magical stone in his hand. It emits blue light, and he warriror is hunted by a black shadow. He throws the stone into the air, pulls his sword, slices the shadow in half and catches the stone right after putting his sword back.
WARRIOR: you macom out now little girl...
Nyara comes out from her hiding, with alistair behind her. As she walks right up to the warrior, a flash of light appears, and a huge deformed evil wizzard appears. He looks at the warrior and with a spell the warrior disapears, leaving the stone behind. The wizzard takes the stone...
WIZZARD: Finally, all five infinte gems are mine. now i shall open the gate...
The he looks at Nyara and alistair, smiles, and yells: NOT EVEN YOU CAN STOP ME NOW! before he disapears...
Nyara looks shocked at alistair, and the scene draws up and fades out...

Fade into another part of the forest. Nyara and alistair walk through the forest, when they suddenly reach a field full of mushrooms split into a left and a right wing. In the middle stands an old tree with signs on them. The left one reads: DO NOT EAT THOSE while the right one reads: EAT THOSE.
Unfortunatly, Nyara canot read, thus she is somehow confused. Alistar flys to her...
ALISTAIR: Wasaup Nyarara?
NYARA: I... i dont know what those signs say...
ALISTAIR: Thesa say eating mushrooms good or bada...
NYARA: But wich one is god and wich one is bad?
ALISTAIR: Mesa no idea. Mesa think, righ one bad...
Nyara walks over to the right mushrooms and eats one, when all of a sudden, her head grows bigger and bigger.
Quickly she runs to the other side and eats one of those, when her head grows back to normal size, also, she feels refreshed, like if she dranka potion.
NYARA: That as sure close, she says. I think those can be of use. Also, learning what those strange words mean could be of use too...
The scene closes by rolling up and fading to black, showing them putting a few mushrooms in a bag and walking on...

I hope its right this time, since thats what i understood you need-.-

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: sPlKe] #75264
05/27/06 15:06
05/27/06 15:06
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline OP
Expert
A.Russell  Offline OP
Expert
A

Japan
Ghostwriter: Thanks for your suggestions. At this stage, please don't worry about the technical details. I'm just looking for writing talent. The writer who joins the team will be provided with all the parameters they need to work within.

So, come on! Let's get some excting, fun stories going!

Last edited by A.Russell; 05/28/06 02:12.
Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: A.Russell] #75265
05/27/06 17:47
05/27/06 17:47
Canada
Stansmedia Offline
Serious User
Stansmedia  Offline
Serious User

Canada
Wow, your quite the sex hound.

Decessus - 80% done. 100% abandoned.
GET MY ANDROID GAME! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lasertrain.zspinballfree&hl=en
Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: A.Russell] #75266
05/28/06 02:27
05/28/06 02:27
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline OP
Expert
A.Russell  Offline OP
Expert
A

Japan
From Cacafire:

Quote:

You'll probably notice that my entry is a little more mature in writing style. That's because I thought the videogame would benefit with a more mature description of the world and events. It's still family friendly, but It's not sickeningly cute, as so many pc games that bomb are. If you look closely, you'll see that the dialogue isn't that mature, which is intentional. It is a kids game, right? The wizard, on the other hand, would be for the older kids. The wizard's english is like the "level 3", while Cui is "level 2", and nyara's language is "level 1". Hope you like.

:Begin:

Shared Qualms

"Travel to the outskirts of Varjina, my little one. There, I shall be waiting for you." Those words echoed through solomon's head, increasing the solemnity of his expression. Thunder clapped in the distance, accompanied by a brilliant flash of light, as could be seen from the tower Solomon now stood in. He did not see it, though, and instead turned away from the gaint window. There was no glass, and cold wind whipped through the room, bringing with it the salt spray from the ocean below. Yet, Solomon stayed erect. He kept his old, graying body rigid as an oak, and contemplated the drab coldness of the hard stone walls. The words of Vin rang incessantly through his mind, and his face twisted in mortifiying fear.

"Could Vin know of my plan?" He spoke out loud, his voice hollow and vacuous. Then he turned, facing the window, and the lifeless landscape of the mountains along the shoreline. He flung his bony arm outward, causing the long cloth swimming on his body to ripple. Pointing to someplace in the distance, his sharp eyes cutting in the distance, he spoke: "Go," Solomon's eyes grew harsh, swelling with inky blackness, "bring the girl to me."

The harrowing screech of something horrible filled the room, whipped the stone of it, seeming to dare the storm to break. Then, launching out the window, it was gone.

Descending quickly over the mountain, dark clouds brewed, making it hard for Nyara to see. She gasped for breath as she scrambled over fallen logs and other obstacles, while the forest brooded over her presence, seemingly watching her every mood, eagerly awaiting a mistake. Finally, she sat, panting from her run. "Resting already, I see." Nyara looked up and frowned.

"You're not tired, Cui?" A weasel shot out of the brush, hovering in the air on feathery wings. His eyes darted from side to side, regarding everything with suspicion. Still, Cui finally stopped flapping and lowered himself onto the rock Nyara sat on.

"You tire easily, M'lady." She gave him a sharp look, but ended up bursting in laughter when he made the face. Cui laughed as well, leaning back on the rock and slumped himself against her side. "Ahh... such soft cloth. I have always fancied what it might be like to wear clothing, M'lady. But it's no use wondering, now that he's after us." Cui gave a long sigh.

Nyara laughed slightly, but now wasn't in the mood. At the mention of him, she stiffened considerably, and began to sniffle a little. "That horrible wizard! That's why we must get to varijna."

"And why we must not waste time sitting in a forest, M'lady." Cui stretched his wings and propelled himself back in the air. "Well, now, See? I've already got my second wind." Nyara ignored him, and concentrated instead on focusing her own breathing. While she thought, she tied her hair back into a tail to prevent it from falling in her eyes. They had to leave Guna too soon; They hadn't been able to get adequate supplies. Suddenly, something caught her eye, then vanished. Nyara instantly snapped to her feet, looking to the sky. "What is it, Ny?"

Nyara's eyes scanned the horizon above the mountain's tree line. Indeed, what was it? The only way to Varjina was through this mountain pass. "Cui... you don't think solomon... would be expecting us--would you?" The cat girl and her familiar's eyes met, passed information instantly. Then, it happened again; the sky, like something invisible, but not quite, shifted. Nyara concentrated her magics in a flurry of motion, queitly chanting the first spell she had learned in Guna: Reveal.

Nyara finished chanting and targeted the magical energy where the shimmer had been. Suddenly, it all came clear. A horrible screech shattered the brooding silence, and the matsadon swiftly swooped down on them. "Look out!" Cui screamed. Nyara dived low to the ground, barely missing the monsters claws. It flew back up and made ready for another pass. "Run!" Cui flew down to nyara and helped her up.

"Ouch..." She rubbed her head. The matsadon got ready. Nyara made a flurry of gestures, and produced another spell. "Fatimina Ruquina!" She pushed her hands outward, and a brilliant flash of light blinded the creature. It fell down to the forest floor with a loud thump, and scrambled to get back up. Nyara and Cui ran off, dodging trees and leaves and things you couldn't imagine, until they came to a large clearing. Inside the clearing were two rows of mushrooms, each with two signs above them.

Nyare kneeled over, clutching her chest and gasping for air. "That was too close for comfort." Cui stated, as if they hadn't just been targeted by one of Solomon's victims. Solomon's victims...Nyara closed her eyes. It had been horrible what Solomon had done to that village, turning all the animals into slaves of his ambitions. She balled her hands into fists. They must get to Varjina. "Say... take a look over here!" Cui said.

Nyare opened her eyes to see what Cui pointed at. "Are those... Mushrooms?" Suddenly, the screech was back. Nyara and Cui heard the matsadon clawing it's way through the underbrush. Nyara turned to Cui, "Which one do I eat?" She pleaded.

"Who cares!?" Cui torted, "They're both the same color! Hurry!"

"No, you numdum!" She pointed at the two signs, "Which one is better?" The matsadson snarled, snapping at the thought of pleasing it's master. Cui took out his glasses, and scanned each sign. Nyara fluttered her hands and cast another spell; It didn't work. The Maatsadon was just feet away from the clearing. "Cui...!"

"I'm hurrying! I'm hurrying!"

"less talk, more hurry!" The matsadon reached the clearing. Cui pointed at the sign on the right:

"That one say's to eat the mushroom." Nyara rushed over, just as the matsadon's sharp talons closed over her waist, and popped the mushroom into her mouth. Cui tried to attack it, but was kicked across the clearing.

"Nyara!!!" he screamed.

"It's all right." She smiled, and cast the new spell.

:end:

That's it. Let the judging begin.

-Cacafire

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: A.Russell] #75267
05/28/06 09:20
05/28/06 09:20
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
As Myra and Squirl made travel from here to where they hadnt been , they ran into a garden , a garden of beauty , which yet embraced demented emotions , where they looked they saw , but what they saw they didnt want to believe, it was him , the one they'd heard about , the one theyd dream about , the evil itself. Myra was fear frozen at the sight of the wicked as his malantly waved and squandered , unleashing unto the defenseless ones , ripping their skin , making them succumb and obey , become an object of his possession , to work till they could no more , to live to serv , to live to die , The evil was alive , the evil must die. As Myra horrified herself at the sight of hte thought , she knew she had to leave , she knew she could die , she knew she wanted to live , so in a swift move she grabbed squirl and turned to the side from where they'd come and were hoping to go , but there was no path , there was no escape , but there was hope , a riddle of sorts. 2 patches of mushrooms , one patch red and one patch blue , they both had a sign atop , one read eat the mushrooms , the other one read to not , the key to the door , it had to have been , but which of these 2 , was Myra to eat.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #75268
05/28/06 11:04
05/28/06 11:04
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
All those from the other forums are awesome, just because I understand 7/8 of them xD

I can't write too good english... hope you guys get more lucky, and make better stories!

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de