Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (7th_zorro, degenerate_762, AndrewAMD, ozgur), 774 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22
Re: Things evolution can't explain [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #78090
06/22/06 22:55
06/22/06 22:55
Ottawa
MathewAllen Offline
MathewAllen  Offline

Ottawa
Quote:

The matrix reloaded is on a t.v. behind me...

Riiight. That's like comparing a pie-graph to looney toons. Honestly, theres a slight difference between an ANIMATION and a SIMULATION, and I hope you realize that. Proffesional computer simulations are about as accurate as you can get, provided they have all the variables right.

MORE IMPORTANTLY
Darwinian evolution has nothing to do with modern evolution! Who cares that darwin was wrong? It's not his ideas that are taught, apart from his (widely accepted by the scientific community as being) correct ones.

Re: Things evolution can't explain [Re: MathewAllen] #78091
06/22/06 23:07
06/22/06 23:07
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco

hehh the creationist patrol is here!

Re: Things evolution can't explain [Re: MathewAllen] #78092
06/22/06 23:10
06/22/06 23:10
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
The animation in the matrix is meant to simulate real life. But they got some variables wrong (the 'speed' of time being a big one), that's why it isn't very accurate. The point is, pie charts, or simulations of evolution just put a face on an idea. That doesn't make it more than an idea. Unless you have all the knowledge in the universe, you can't know if the simulation is completely accurate...unless you can test its predictions. Evolution is untestable by its nature.

Quote:

Darwinian evolution has nothing to do with modern evolution! Who cares that darwin was wrong?

Tell that to Matt. I was just pointing out all the errors Darwin made. Matt takes this as a general insult to evolution itself, and refuses to admit what scientists have known for a long time (namely that Darwin got the details of evolution wrong).

edit:

Nice cartoon. Except the entire argument against creationism is a strawman. Number one, antibiotics resistance has nothing to do with evolution. It happens, yes, but we've found ancient bacteria that were resistant to penicillin years before the antibiotic was even invented. All the antibiotic did was kill off all the germs that weren't already resistant. That's not evolution, its simple natural selection (loss of genetic data). Furthermore, germs exchange plasmids with each other, and viruses can carry genetic snippets between populations. Both methods also provide resistance, but do nothing to explain where that data came from in the first place.

That cartoon, and evolution in general, is the epitome of ignorance. Thanks to evolutionists, you were taught what amounts to a lie about science, and the creationists are the ones who apparently know more about science in this case. Which theory is really stuck in the dark ages?

The cartoon was pretty funny though.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 06/22/06 23:19.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: Things evolution can't explain [Re: Irish_Farmer] #78093
06/23/06 00:06
06/23/06 00:06
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Quote:

Darwinian evolution has nothing to do with modern evolution!

Well, I dont think this is accurate... this is like saying Newtonian physics have nothing to do with modern physics.

Of course darwin made some mistakes, its hard when you are creating a totally new field of science. And poeple can sit around and point out some errors and therefore expect everyone to assume he was wong about everything? Darwin's ideas have certainly been modified greawtly. he was working 150 years ago, so obviously we have learned some more things since then...but wihtout him we still would be able to make sense of it.

And as I said a million times, if you havent read Darwin, you cant really discuss his ideas intelligently, despite what crap you find on creationist websites.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Things evolution can't explain [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #78094
06/23/06 06:52
06/23/06 06:52
South Africa
capanno Offline
Serious User
capanno  Offline
Serious User

South Africa
Quote:

Quote:

Ummm. How about you read up what your raving about, before posting. You just make yourself look stupid.

Actually you make yourself look stupid here...becasue what he writes makes sense and is based on facts.

riiight.

I rest my case. Im out of here. I really thought the people in favour of evolution might be a little more open minded than others Ive talked to. Seems I was wrong.

Cheers and God bless.

Re: Things evolution can't explain [Re: capanno] #78095
06/23/06 09:08
06/23/06 09:08
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

You rest what case?

I was responign to the fact that you say this guy looked stupid, when in fact he was showing how creationists belive in some absurd things.

Being open-minded is a good thing, but being gullible is another.

Do you belive in aliens flying around in saucers? Its possible..What about Bigfoot, or loch ness monster.. they could exist.. be open minded...

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Things evolution can\\\'t explain [Re: Irish_Farmer] #78096
06/23/06 09:23
06/23/06 09:23

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Nice cartoon. Except the entire argument against creationism is a strawman. Number one, antibiotics resistance has nothing to do with evolution. It happens, yes, but we\\\'ve found ancient bacteria that were resistant to penicillin years before the antibiotic was even invented. All the antibiotic did was kill off all the germs that weren\\\'t already resistant. That\\\'s not evolution, its simple natural selection (loss of genetic data). Furthermore, germs exchange plasmids with each other, and viruses can carry genetic snippets between populations. Both methods also provide resistance, but do nothing to explain where that data came from in the first place.

pleeease! that\\\'s ridiculous! you can talk with any doctor about that but maybe cretinists shouldn\\\'t search help in modern medicine but in some voodoo priests...

Re: Things evolution can\\\'t explain #78097
06/23/06 22:38
06/23/06 22:38
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

pleeease! that\\\'s ridiculous! you can talk with any doctor about that but maybe cretinists shouldn\\\'t search help in modern medicine but in some voodoo priests...

I'm having a hard time understanding this because you apparently speak some kind of Engl///////sh. That's a language I'm not familiar with.

Bacterial resistance to antibiotics has nothing to do with evolution. Its a scientific fact that mislead evolutionists have a hard time coping with. Its been proven time and again, and even college biology textbooks teach it as fact to students.

Penicillin resistance existed years before penicillin. Viruses can carry DNA that provides resistance between species. Bacteria can exchange plasmids that provide resistance.

The ONLY mutations that provide a resistance, do so by destroying a natural part of the germ. For instance, the receptor that reacts to an antibody will be destroyed by a mutation. Which keeps it from dying, but it had to lose part of its structure to do so. That's the opposite of evolution.

Do you have a scientific response to this? Or are you just going to keep mumbling about voodoo priests? I suppose it doesn't help that evolution isn't scientific in the first place.

Quote:

I was responign to the fact that you say this guy looked stupid, when in fact he was showing how creationists belive in some absurd things.

No one has answered my question yet. Why couldn't humans have coexisted with dinosaurs? Please answer this question without referencing highly imaginative fiction like Jurassic Park.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 06/23/06 22:39.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: Things evolution can\\\\\\\'t explain [Re: Irish_Farmer] #78098
06/23/06 22:54
06/23/06 22:54

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

sorry, my browser has a malfunction which adds the \\\\\\.

i have some pharmacology books of my brother (who is a medic) lying around here but they won\'t be of much help since they are in a different language and i don\'t have the time to translate anything.

just ask any doctor about this topic the next time you have the chance.

Re: Things evolution can\\\\\\\'t explain #78099
06/23/06 23:27
06/23/06 23:27
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

sorry, my browser has a malfunction which adds the \\\\\\.

Don't apologize, I was just giving you a hard time.

Quote:

just ask any doctor about this topic the next time you have the chance.

They will tell me that germs become resistant. And I have no objection to that. In fact, you could even call it evolution, and technically you'd be right. But the mechanism of how these bacteria become resistant is what's important, and by this mechanism no matter how many times these bacteria resist an antibiotic, they'll never become anything other than a bacteria.

Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite