by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 975 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Angle of Attack [Re: vartan_s] #79704
06/29/06 01:08
06/29/06 01:08
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
once again, this is not meant as offense.
but this is nothing more than a tempaltes shooter with basic ugly textures and models from AU.
It fails to impress anyone who knows the Engine.
I am sorry this had to be said...

Re: Angle of Attack [Re: sPlKe] #79705
06/29/06 02:03
06/29/06 02:03
Pennsylvania, USA
FoxZero Offline
Serious User
FoxZero  Offline
Serious User

Pennsylvania, USA
They don't look like templates man! Not everybody's first shooter looks great. And like he said he's no 2D artist. Some people can't model so they use models from AU, that's what it's for! Give the guy a break he's just starting.

Sorry if I sounded aggressive there, but I didn't think that comment was called for.

Check out my site http://foxzero.net
My band's website
http://wolf-hybrid.net

R.I.P. Dave Williams
Re: Angle of Attack [Re: FoxZero] #79706
06/29/06 13:09
06/29/06 13:09
V
vartan_s Offline OP
vartan_s  Offline OP
V

I did not use templates to make this... I coded this from scratch (I did not even look at or follow the templates), only using a few tricks I saw in other scripts (3 actually). Even the bullet hole problem I posted I found the solution to myself by taking a different aproach (again my work). As I said before, the screenshots do not show any of the coding. I hope to release a video soon. The level (I admit it's bad) is just a test level and I will not use this in my final game. So are the models. In the end I will use the projects own models. I will do this in one of two ways: I will find a decent modeller or I will learn to model myself.

However, I am going on my summer holidays tomorrow and will not post here for a while. I will take my laptop with me and will therefore continue working, possibly start on AI. I will also refine my storyline (I actually already have it all planned out, I just need to write it down). When I get back (In about a month) I will post a video showing the game's features.

I thank everybody for their help, comments and compliments, and wish everybody happy holidays !

Last edited by vartan_s; 06/29/06 13:12.
Re: Angle of Attack [Re: vartan_s] #79707
06/29/06 22:24
06/29/06 22:24
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
in that case the coding seems really good, but you are far away from being a nice graphics artist, wich is okay.
it took me three years to be at least a little good in level design, and another three to be as good as i am now. and i am by far not even half as good as some others here.

i dont want to insult anyone when i write stuff liek this, but you all must realize that outside of indie development, people dont give a damn why your games are how they are. they want quality for their money, wich is their good right, and if we want to get along with our games in the world outside of indie, we must deliver quality.

lately i realize it even more than a few months before, people tend to overrate things.

coding what you coded completly from scrath is good work. especially sicne youre a beginner. very good work.
i could not do it, to be honest. what you have to do is specify on one thing and get people who specify themselves on another thing. only then you can deliver top notch work^^

just my opinions i hope you understand

edit: BTW it is called ANGEL not angle^^

an angle is something completly different (like camera angle^^)

Last edited by SPlKE; 06/30/06 03:55.
Re: Angle of Attack [Re: sPlKe] #79708
06/30/06 01:59
06/30/06 01:59
Brazil
Carloos Offline
User
Carloos  Offline
User

Brazil
I liked your work, vartan, being your first game, its very nice.

People, outside of Indie development, really care about theyr money, dogs, children and thigs like this.

Apart from it, you can be sure that people who made unreal or any other game you can imagine, started somewhere in time with very simple projects, and you can be sure your project is far better then many of them ( mine included ).

Put some irregularity, better textures, keep the machinery variation and accuracy, and you will progress this work to a AAA level.

Congrats for your first work.

Last edited by Carloos; 06/30/06 02:00.
Re: Angle of Attack [Re: sPlKe] #79709
06/30/06 11:34
06/30/06 11:34
Germany, BaWü
aztec Offline

Expert
aztec  Offline

Expert

Germany, BaWü
Quote:

Maybe he means angle why dont you thin so it would be a great name to because angle of attack would make no sense

Visit:
schwenkschuster-design.de
Re: Angle of Attack [Re: aztec] #79710
06/30/06 21:29
06/30/06 21:29
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Quote:

an angle is something completly different (like camera angle^^)

Im pretty sure he does mean "angle", not "angel"...

an angle of attack is a commonly used phrase when discussing armor penetration capabilty of a bullet.. the more acute the angle, the more armor the bullet has to go through.. so basically, you want to shoot straight at an armor plate, not at a sharp angle.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Angle of Attack [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #79711
08/04/06 08:48
08/04/06 08:48
V
vartan_s Offline OP
vartan_s  Offline OP
V

Alright guys, I'm back from holidays, and the game has been progressing along quite fine. Thanks everybody for the comments. And Carloos what do you mean by irregularity? Do you mean irregularity in the level or in the weapons?

Nevermind a video, I should have a demo soon, but I'll need at least some suitable weapon models (with hands of course). So if anyone can do that don't hesitate to step up. And since people have trouble understanding the name, I'm open to new names... so please, give your ideas.

You know, I might do a modelling contest, and ask the winner to do some models for me... people tend to be more interested when there's competition involved.

Last edited by vartan_s; 08/04/06 08:49.
Re: Angle of Attack [Re: vartan_s] #79712
08/06/06 06:16
08/06/06 06:16

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think angle of attack is fine. As long as it's relevant to the game

Re: Angle of Attack [Re: ] #79713
08/06/06 07:00
08/06/06 07:00
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Hiya.

Just a casual question/observation. It seems you are heavlily into the "realistic recoil and gun effects" part. Not my cup o' tea, but hey. And *why* do I not like "realish based army-type" games? Two reasons.

First, they almost ALWAYS force the player to be the "good guys"...which is fine, except that the "good guys" are always british, american, canadian or possibly french or austrailian. Just for *once* I'd like to be able to pick to be a guy from any 'world contry'. I'd actually find it more entertaining to be on the underdog side fighting the more advanced countries. For example, being a palistinian fighting against the technologically superior israel, or maybe an african fighting against the us-armed warlords, etc. Hell, even to just be able to pick 'either' side and play them. You know of the board game "Axis and Allies"? Something like that would be more entertaining for me.

Second, the 'realism' in these games tends to be..well, *completely* unrealistic in every sense other than "Oooo...look at that [insert some gun] model! It even has the [insert gun-nut obscure knowledge about said firearm]!". So, if you are focusing on 'realism', then at least put a setting on for "realistic damage"; in other words, if you are shot 4 times by an AK-47, you die (or at least it's "Game Over"). Too close to a granade blast? Game Over. Shot by a shotgun at point blank range? Game Over. Stabbed 3 times and kicked in the groin? Game Over. Otherwise, well, what the hell is the point of "realistic recoil and gun accuracy"? Seriously? Who cares if it's still better to just run accross a field, guns ablazin', while 14 "bad guys" (viet cong, US marines, whomever) shoot at you...you have 92 Armor and a health of 100...those bullets will bearly hurt you. Get up close and shoot; hard to miss from 3' away.

Sorry if that sounds like a rant, but as a game fan, I'm sick and tired of all these games that claim "realisic combat", yet the player can still get shot 14 times, stabbed twice, blown up by a pair of grenades and step on a land mind before they finally 'die'...yet the "bad guys" (usually some third world country or nebulous comunists/dictatorship) die after two flesh wounds.

(PS: Sorry again for the ranting...it just really bugs me).

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de