Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
6 registered members (AndrewAMD, Ayumi, degenerate_762, 7th_zorro, VoroneTZ, HoopyDerFrood), 1,268 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19053 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Intel and a Brain [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #81223
07/13/06 16:20
07/13/06 16:20
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Quote:

Anyway, I'm really sure that Ran Man works for Intel... what's his job there, janitor?

you made my day

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: Intel and a Brain [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #81224
07/13/06 18:16
07/13/06 18:16
Coppell, Texas
Ran Man Offline OP
Expert
Ran Man  Offline OP
Expert

Coppell, Texas
Lol, very funny... I do clean the doo-doo in the lab toilets over here. HAHA! <just joking>

Actually though, I was promoted last year and now am a product engineer and responsible to create programs for large IC testers in the "C" language. Our production factory in Malaysia depends on me to program good stuff.

Anyways, we all gladly accept that our TV's and radios and PC's all are made by a designer, because they have very complex circuits in them, right?

But, in the case of the more hugely complex "Human Brain", we discard any notion of a designer.

Why is this? Is this not illogical to do so?
Hey listen folks, ---> There HAS to be a designer or designers! Because it is way too complex!

Cougar Interactive

www.zoorace.com
Re: Intel and a Brain [Re: Ran Man] #81225
07/13/06 20:34
07/13/06 20:34
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

I dont see why a computer cant be conscious, there seems nothing to forbid the possibility. Certainly AI programming has a long way to go, but I dont doubt that at some point there will conscious AIs..

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Intel and a Brain [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #81226
07/13/06 21:48
07/13/06 21:48
San Diego, CA
M
Marco_Grubert Offline
Expert
Marco_Grubert  Offline
Expert
M

San Diego, CA
Quote:

I dont see why a computer cant be conscious

Because we only know consciousness in humans and maybe higher animals. All of which are radically different from computers, which are nothing but elaborate light switches. Unless and until consciousness can be reduced to a physical process that causes it, and this process included in a computer's design, there's no reason to assume that computers will become conscious. Now if you are saying that computers could be made to appear intelligent (i.e. Turing Test) then that's a possibility, but so far the results have been disappointing.

Re: Intel and a Brain [Re: Marco_Grubert] #81227
07/14/06 08:42
07/14/06 08:42
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Expert
M

computers may be eleborate light switches, but the brain is a big pile of gunk. So what? This doesnt mean much.

The important thing is in the structure, and nothing forbids a computer or computer program from becoming conscious. Is it likely to happen soon? I doubt it. But eventually, It seems almost inevitbale that a computer will be as conscious as we are.. the fact is, at a certain point, you cant really say for sure...

Re: Intel and a Brain [Re: capanno] #81228
07/14/06 08:59
07/14/06 08:59
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
Quote:

Dude, AI will NEVER be as advanced as a human brain. We dont even know how it works, so its redicilous that we claim that we are getting close. AI will never be concious. Its an appealing concept for science fiction junkies though.

"We dont even know how it works"

and exactly THAT makes it possible.

www.earthcontrol.de
quoted: We want to maintain a clean, decent, American family suited forum look... which means you may post zombies or chainsaw massacres, but no erotic.
Re: Intel and a Brain [Re: ello] #81229
07/14/06 11:02
07/14/06 11:02
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
I know who the creator is... and I met HER personally, I saw her when I had this peacefull moment alone somewhere... outside...

She's called nature.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Intel and a Brain [Re: Joozey] #81230
07/14/06 12:20
07/14/06 12:20
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

The theory is that any complex design needs a designer or designers.

And what this theory gladly denies is the fact that life didn't start as a full grown man or woman ...

So exactly why does this theory make any sense?

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Intel and a Brain [Re: PHeMoX] #81231
07/14/06 15:45
07/14/06 15:45
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Expert
M

Certainly a complex *design* needs a designer. This is the old problem with explaining evolution to people; they cant grasp that organisms arent "designed". That is to say, the present state of an organism is NOT an inevitable one--it could have just as easily turned out differently. The fact that it does exist however discounts the improbability of it existing. Think about this.

This is perhaps the most fundamental change in thinking that is needed before any meaningful debate about life origins can take place. Otherwise, its all basically a question of observing something so complex that one is likely to assume it cant possibly have developed without an intelligent designer.

In fact, an organism is complex but not irreducibly so. All organs are made of cells, which are made of organelles and membranes, those are made of proteins and so on, etc. The fact that they function in complex systems is the result of many small incremental changes--as hard as it may be to believe.

Re: Intel and a Brain [Re: PHeMoX] #81232
07/14/06 15:51
07/14/06 15:51
Coppell, Texas
Ran Man Offline OP
Expert
Ran Man  Offline OP
Expert

Coppell, Texas
Quote:

but the brain is a big pile of gunk. So what?

Because that gunk stuff is very complicated.

If you ever shoot a bullet hole in that "GUNK", for example, then you are probably dead, but if you shoot a bullet hole in your arms "Gunk", then you most likely will live. Thus your brain is more important and complicated than your arm is.

Quote:

So exactly why does this theory make any sense?

Because everything of a highly technical design that we know of has creators. Everything does, your stereo's, DVD players, televisions and yes Intel's new processor.

These highly technical things listed above also have no ability to generate offspring and are therefore less complicated, but the more complex human brain was not designed by anything we say?

Com'on guys, you know that is wrong. Admit it?

Shoot me with a bullet hole to see my gunk how complicated and important I'am to ya!!!

Cougar Interactive

www.zoorace.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite