by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, bigsmack, 7th_zorro, dr_panther), 1,364 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Generating more sales #86725
08/19/06 17:19
08/19/06 17:19
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
I've now released the full edition for my 2D game. However, the only way I can seemingly get sales is from my website only and since my website has almost no traffic (one unique visitor every two days on average, barely 250 MB bandwidth per month if avatars on forums and posting screenshots for forums and E-mails are taken out). This is a very unworthy way to selling my 2D game. What methods, short of paying a huge fee for advertising, can I use to help generate more sales.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: Generating more sales [Re: ulillillia] #86726
08/20/06 10:32
08/20/06 10:32
old_bill Offline
Senior Expert
old_bill  Offline
Senior Expert

There are plenty of websites for free games out in the web,
put your free edition onto them, so possible customers can
check out the demo and buy the full version later if they like.

And search for a thread from Romac, he had some good points
about how to get attention without having a large budget for
advertising.

old_bill

Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.
Re: Generating more sales [Re: ulillillia] #86727
08/20/06 15:12
08/20/06 15:12
Massachusetts, USA
Ichiro Offline
User
Ichiro  Offline
User

Massachusetts, USA
I'd do these things:

1. Write up a press release announcing your game (check out the articles at http://www.dpdirectory.com/3newsltr.htm ). There are PR distribution services, but you can distribute a release yourself by gathering e-mail contacts for editors of magazines and websites.

2. Read up on marketing ( http://www.dexterity.com/articles ).

3. Make sure you submit your demo everywhere (e.g., have you hit all the big sites such as Tucows and download.com? The indie sites such as GameTunnel?) Learn about the PAD format ( http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/ ) and submit your game to all the shareware sites you can find.

4. Place DOWNLOAD and BUY buttons prominently on your website.

And last, but not least:

5. Get honest feedback about your game, improve on it for a month or two, and release a sequel. The feedback should be somewhat painful but constructive. Ask enough people what they want to see more of in your game, and you should begin to see a consensus.

The iterative process in #5 is, IMO, the most important -- many indies seem to get discouraged and dump a project rather than finding out which parts to improve and improving them.

Dejobaan Games - Bringing you quality video games for over 75 years.
Re: Generating more sales [Re: Ichiro] #86728
08/20/06 15:43
08/20/06 15:43
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Quote:

I'd do these things:

1. Write up a press release announcing your game (check out the articles at http://www.dpdirectory.com/3newsltr.htm ). There are PR distribution services, but you can distribute a release yourself by gathering e-mail contacts for editors of magazines and websites.

I looked at your link and it's mentioning of paying $129 - forget that as it's too expensive. Plus, what is this "press" thing?

Quote:

3. Make sure you submit your demo everywhere (e.g., have you hit all the big sites such as Tucows and download.com? The indie sites such as GameTunnel?) Learn about the PAD format ( http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/ ) and submit your game to all the shareware sites you can find.

I was told not to use download.com and to use Regnow instead. I often don't think of Tucows as I almost never go there. There's one other one, but don't recall it's name.

Quote:

4. Place DOWNLOAD and BUY buttons prominently on your website.

What do you mean by this?

Quote:

And last, but not least:

5. Get honest feedback about your game, improve on it for a month or two, and release a sequel. The feedback should be somewhat painful but constructive. Ask enough what they want to see more of in your game, and you should begin to see a consensus.

The iterative process in #5 is, IMO, the most important -- many indies seem to get discouraged and dump a project rather than finding out which parts to improve and improving them.

Although it won't be a sequel to the game, it'll be in the form of updates where new features (such as new challenges) get added, of which updates, to version 3.x, are free. The next update is 2.5 with 2.6 following after that.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: Generating more sales [Re: ulillillia] #86729
08/20/06 16:58
08/20/06 16:58
Massachusetts, USA
Ichiro Offline
User
Ichiro  Offline
User

Massachusetts, USA
I looked at your link and it's mentioning of paying $129 - forget that as it's too expensive. Plus, what is this "press" thing?

Again, you don't need to pay for the distribution service; you can do it yourself if you want to save the money. But the articles on that site will tell you most of what you need to know to write and distribute a press release. That's an important step, as it's one way to get your game mentioned in magazines and on larger gaming websites.

I was told not to use download.com and to use Regnow instead. I often don't think of Tucows as I almost never go there.

I think we're talking about different things. You don't need to sell though these services; most download sites (and there are many good ones) will allow you to list your product there for download, for free. Download.com and Tucows are large sites with lots of traffic. We always upload there.

(BUY/DOWNLOAD) What do you mean by this?

Check out the articles at Dexterity that I mentioned. But in particular, conventional wisdom suggests that you should have big, bright buttons for the two most important actions -- downloading the demo and purchasing the game.

Dejobaan Games - Bringing you quality video games for over 75 years.
Re: Generating more sales [Re: Ichiro] #86730
08/20/06 18:20
08/20/06 18:20
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
I really agree with Ichiro. Honest feedback and watching real people test-play it is a good idea. Buy some pizzas for gamers you find on craigslist, watch them play and get feedback and make adjustments. Though this is pretty standard for releasing a game, maybe you've already done this step.

Some tactics for low budget game marketing: It might be worth buying some ad banner time on a website community that uses games like yours. Send free promo copies to game magazines and websites. Try to get an exclusive. Get people talking about it.

Re: Generating more sales [Re: JetpackMonkey] #86731
08/22/06 22:12
08/22/06 22:12
Ukraine
Lion_Ts Offline
Serious User
Lion_Ts  Offline
Serious User

Ukraine
Hi, Uli!
I looked at your site. Sorry, but I think, it isn't market place. It was good while you posted your shaderwork and your dreams . But to sell something you have to change site style totally or open new website for your product only.

Re: Generating more sales [Re: Lion_Ts] #86732
08/23/06 05:50
08/23/06 05:50
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
if you look at morbious i believe he is offering free banner ads on his site, not sure how much traffic it gets , but also i would like to say, if this turns into a formal list, we might want to have it stickied

Re: Generating more sales [Re: lostclimate] #86733
08/24/06 09:51
08/24/06 09:51
Wisconsin USA
FoxHound Offline
Expert
FoxHound  Offline
Expert

Wisconsin USA
I've not looked through this thread, so I'll just say it.

Submit to all the casual game portals. I've made a post in this forum with a huge list of casual games. You'll have to search for it.

Submit to every shareware site. I did this back in June and I'm still getting "acceptance" letters now. You'll have to search for it.

Use Regnow, it's 20 bucks to join but it's worth it, i've got 30 affilaites through them and only 5 through Plimus.

---------------------
There is no signature here.

QUIT LOOKING FOR ONE!
Re: Generating more sales [Re: FoxHound] #86734
08/24/06 16:54
08/24/06 16:54
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
foxhound, how is your game selling, im not sure if you feel comfortable answering, but if you do, how well is selling, because im thinking of trying to make a game will the arcade feel to it, but im not so sure how well it will sell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de