by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Nymphodora), 490 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 9 of 24 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 23 24
Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. #195467
09/28/05 17:09
09/28/05 17:09
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline OP
Serious User
Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy.

Hello everyone,

After a long long time, I managed to get another demo up for you. There you go..

Intense Ai - Blast From The Past - 4.5 MB

For the faint of the heart, I've also made a slower version. Same rules, but both you and the bot are walking slower. Mouse sensitivity is also dropped.. a tad. However, you can 'cheat' by going faster than the bot, when keeping SHIFT pressed.

Intense Ai - Slower Blast From The Past - 4.5 MB

It's you and one bot, powered with Intense Ai(duh), fighting it to the death. First to reach 20 Frags wins.

I'm also setting up a little contest for fun. If you get to win the match you'll be rewarded by a "secret password". The first one to post this password here will get a free copy of Intense Ai - Standard version, when it's out.

I think I made the bot pretty tough. The idea is, it's easier to make a hard Ai weaker, than visa versa. Other than that, the match is fair. Both the player and the bot have the same HitPoints, same speed and the bot never 'cheats' in any way. It's like playing multiplayer with another human player.

I think I'm gonna post a pic now...

Old timers may also recognise the level. I practicaly ripped every texture, sound, model and the music from the old game Doom II. This is the first map, Entryway, which I initially made myself, and then Bilbo_bogimps redid it cause mine was horrible . All the doom weapons are also there and they behave exacly like in the original. I had to go without the BGF though, cause that thing needed one full day to be coded and I really didn't had the time.. So, sorry BFG fans, maybe in another version .

Ok guys, N'joy. Let me know what you think.
Aris
Last edited by LarryLaffer; 09/29/05 08:16.

INTENSE AI: Use the Best AI around for your games!
Join our Forums now! | Get Intense Pathfinding 3 Free!
233 Comments
Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: DCorwin] #195547
11/09/05 18:41
11/09/05 18:41
Italy
M
Mondivirtuali Offline
User
Mondivirtuali  Offline
User
M

Italy
For meelee attacks: zombies , goblins and ogres are stupid and not use tactics, so I suggest you to release a demo with a solid , basic melee attacks .
Speaking of zombies, what about hitpoints?

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: Mondivirtuali] #195548
11/09/05 20:56
11/09/05 20:56
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline OP
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline OP
Serious User

Greece
Quote:

I know you've touched on this before, but could you recap what algorhythms you're using for the pathfinding routines? I was just going over George's AUM articles on Pefect AI and it's really impressive, so I'm wondering if you're building on those concepts, or going a different direction, etc.

Sure. I use Dijkstra and Points of Visibility for Pathfinding. I've posted a demo somewhere in this thread...<looking>
here it is: http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=585083&page=0&vc=1

although I have only browsed through the Perfect Ai tutorial, I think we're using the same Techniques. I've read he also uses Points Of Visibility(maybe he calls it waypoints or nodes?) and a combination of Dijsktra and A*? lol, I dunno how he did that, A* is essentially Dijkstra with heuristics(two more lines of code in the algorithm), so does he uses heuristics or not? I don't know...

Anyhow, the differences between Perfect Ai and mine is that I don't precalculate all the possible paths between all nodes, but I let Dijkstra calculate every path at runtime. Since this requires no Line of Site checks(c_trace), Dijkstra works instantly, even with hundreds of bots inside. By doing the Dijkstra at runtime though, I get to turn some Nodes OFF and ON if I like, and let the algorithm do a new search with the modified search space(turned off Nodes). This way I can represent a Door closing and opening, a wall being demolished and generally more dynamic enviroments, that you won't be able to do with precalculated paths.

The other thing that may differ from Perfect AI is, I'm not sure how George is handling 3d enviroments. A Line of Sight between two waypoints for example, doesn't guarantee that it is or it's not possible for an agent to walk between these two waypoints. for example..

Code:

-
A / \ B
---- ---

in that example, there's no LOS between waypoints A and B, but an agent may still be able to climb/jump over that hill.

and again..

Code:

_A__ __B_
| | | |
| | | |
| |LAVA| |

and again in this case, there is los between A and B, but if the agent attempts to walk he'll fall into the hot lava..

So more computation needs to be done when precompiling the graph than simple LOS checks.

Here's how my graph looks like in a 3d level

Each edge(red line) doesn't actually represent the actualy path between two points, but it merely indicates that there actually is one, although it may appear that a straight LOS check could have predicted otherwise.

And here's a path. Hopefully you can see the red line, the little gray guy in the middle of the screen and the big red X with the hand pointer where I ordered the bot to move to.

Other than that, I think Intense Ai and Perfect Ai are pretty much based on the same pathfinding algorithm. I intend to scrap Points of Visibility altogether though and Work on a NavMesh Pathfinding for better flexibility, in the later versions of Intense Ai.

Quote:

For meelee attacks: zombies , goblins and ogres are stupid and not use tactics, so I suggest you to release a demo with a solid , basic melee attacks .

will do..

Quote:

Speaking of zombies, what about hitpoints?

You mean those hitzones that identify where you hit your enemy? There aren't any in the Standard version. Hopefully I'll have time to work on it in later versions. I know it's a really important feature for some people..

INTENSE AI: Use the Best AI around for your games!
Join our Forums now! | Get Intense Pathfinding 3 Free!
Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: LarryLaffer] #195549
11/09/05 21:09
11/09/05 21:09
San Diego, CA
DCorwin Offline
DCorwin  Offline

San Diego, CA
Wow, looks awesome! What are you doing sitting around reading these forums?! Get busy!

(but answer this question first )

As far as hit-areas of models and enemy behaviors, etc, I assume that's pretty customizable and we can make our own version while using your pathfinding foundation?

Dave C. Polcino Digital Complete http://www.digitalcomplete.com dave@digitalcomplete.com -------------------
Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: DCorwin] #195550
11/09/05 21:47
11/09/05 21:47
Italy
M
Mondivirtuali Offline
User
Mondivirtuali  Offline
User
M

Italy
Hi Aris
I mean you shoot at the zombie in its body or limbs and it don't get any damage, then you shoot him in the head and bang! it died.
Half life (They Hunger) does use this system (Doom 3 ,much more advance game does not..you shoot a zombie in its leg and it died, really annoying).

But i am thinking..is it possible to attach another model to the first model , the one powered to the AI system? The second model is simple ..the head , that is vulnerable,while the first model, the zombie body ( the one who walks, fights ) is nearly invulnerable.
Player has to defend himself by the attack of the zombie body model and has to hit the zombie (head model) in order to kill the hideous creature.

In this way the illusion could be perfect without too much effort.
So, the body.mdl has the action with meele combat , the head has a simple "if is hit then health=health-500 and if health =0 then body.mld play death animation.
The problem is that I am a newbie. I got a lot of ideas but too much trouble to realize them.

Last edited by Mondivirtuali; 11/10/05 12:28.
Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: Mondivirtuali] #195551
11/10/05 05:31
11/10/05 05:31
Under your couch
Silent_Assassin Offline
Developer
Silent_Assassin  Offline
Developer

Under your couch
this stuff is way beyond me at the moment

Visit us at www.m-tec-development.com WIP - Urban Conflict
Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: Silent_Assassin] #195552
11/13/05 00:54
11/13/05 00:54
from the 'Burgh to Denver
CBuilder2 Offline
Developer
CBuilder2  Offline
Developer

from the 'Burgh to Denver
Aris,

This sounds very cool; it looks like you are considering a vast array of possibilities for the level geometry. I look forward to it being released!

CBuilder

Total_Stupidity = (Ben_Roethlisberger + Motorcycle) - Helmet
Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: CBuilder2] #195553
11/14/05 15:01
11/14/05 15:01
Portugal - Brazil
XNASorcerer Offline
Expert
XNASorcerer  Offline
Expert

Portugal - Brazil
I hope you don't follow the same roads that Mythic did. Even because, for the that I have been seeing, I intend to buy all of the versions that will come out. It is looking good!!:)

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: XNASorcerer] #195554
11/14/05 15:49
11/14/05 15:49
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

What's the deal with this AI.. all it does is imediately show up and kill you.. I dont get what the point of it is. The bot just cruises around a level and always knows where you are, and kills you instantly.

I dont what it's doing behind the scenes, but to me this is exactly what a bot shouldn't do. I tried many times and could never even hit the thing...

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #195555
11/14/05 17:04
11/14/05 17:04
Portugal - Brazil
XNASorcerer Offline
Expert
XNASorcerer  Offline
Expert

Portugal - Brazil
Quote:

What's the deal with this AI.. all it does is imediately show up and kill you.. I dont get what the point of it is. The bot just cruises around a level and always knows where you are, and kills you instantly.

I dont what it's doing behind the scenes, but to me this is exactly what a bot shouldn't do. I tried many times and could never even hit the thing...

The bot kills you because the damage is to strong. Try to go to an open area. You will have more chances to kill him there.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: XNASorcerer] #195556
11/14/05 17:44
11/14/05 17:44
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Yeah but the bot never misses, always shoots immediately when he sees you, seems to know where you are.. I'm sure the pathfinding and such work well, it's the behavior that's the problem..bots arent supposed to be superhuman..

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Page 9 of 24 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 23 24

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de