by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, TipmyPip, Edgar_Herrera), 804 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends #476094
01/26/19 06:58
01/26/19 06:58
6 Images
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends

Dear nerds,
I want to present you my new game I've been working on since last year, called "Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends".

It's a one level game about climbing a surreal mountain on a pogo stick. Controls are deceptively simple, just rotate the character and jump, yet they take a ton of time to master - "prolonging" the playtime to a couple of hours.

If you've seen or played Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy you know what it's up to or inspired by.

The game features automatic matchmaking for multiplayer halfway around the globe, no PvP collisions, just racing against each other or casually jumping along. Unlock hats and other equip to differentiate your character from others.

Check it out on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/688130/Pogostuck_Rage_With_Your_Friends/
The trailer is subject to change still, had to make it prematurely to put up the store page.

Had to rewrite the level format a bunch of times, in particular as I planned to ship with a level editor at first (which would have been based on custom imported meshes though, only a few example models included). The 2D collision detection on 3D models was rather tricky to implement and took many months to make it smooth and rather bug free. I wrote a custom c_move at one point but gave up when I had to do rotations - although c_rotate can be quite buggy it's still hard to redo that yourself.
The game is mostly done, currently finishing up sounds and localization. I should be done in February, then ship the game shortly after.
Thanks for taking a look!
30 Comments
Re: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends [Re: Superku] #476265
02/08/19 21:25
02/08/19 21:25
Turkey, Izmir
Emre Offline
User
Emre  Offline
User

Turkey, Izmir
Originally Posted By: Iglarion
It looks great! Everything is in harmony, the graphics are beautiful, modern and pleasant for the eyes. Animated effects and animals in the background is a very nice, very dynamic game - i like this. Great work!

i totally agree with Iglarion. Good job Superku! wink

Re: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends [Re: Emre] #476310
02/17/19 00:21
02/17/19 00:21
Germany
preacherX Offline
preacherX  Offline

Germany
I was quite some time not here... And now I see this!^^ Great stuff, I put it on my wishlist! Was the online mode hard to program? Another question: When will Superku be released?

Re: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends [Re: preacherX] #476316
02/17/19 16:18
02/17/19 16:18
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Neat! The online mode made some trouble, yes. Mostly though because the Steam lobby system (matchmaking stuff) isn't super reliable, and may not return all players in the lobby at every frame. Additionally, most identifiers are 64bit in the Steam API, so I had to partition them into two 32bit variables each in lite-C. The biggest problem however was the friend group system, with invites, UI, general functionality and so on.
The actual player interpolation and related stuff wasn't too hard though.

Superku, well... that's a sore point. I really don't know yet *if* it will be released, and when. Thinking about it regularly how I could salvage the project, we'll see. Luckily I could re-use menu, input, savegame, DLL and network code from Pogostuck for Superku.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends [Re: Superku] #476327
02/17/19 23:08
02/17/19 23:08
Germany
preacherX Offline
preacherX  Offline

Germany
This sounds like some hard time - I wish you all the best! What do you think is the problem with Superku? Problems with the engine? … I'm now working for about a year with Unity and I have to say that I don't miss A8 anymore. lite-C is in some points a little faster to write (and easier to understand in my opinion) - but everything else is in Unity much better and - the most important thing - more stable (including an great array-overflow warning system^^). … And of course you can bring your game not only to PC but to consoles too. wink If you ever think about to switch to Unity and need some helping hand for the first steps, just tell me! I for myself got some hours of "live learning" via Skype with the help of a friend too! After understanding the basics, it wasn't so hard. Another great thing is that you can use Google when having problems and get an answer very fast (cause so much people are using Unity)!

Re: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends [Re: preacherX] #476334
02/18/19 23:26
02/18/19 23:26
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Thank you!
Yes, the huge memory usage during development builds for compiling code means I have to publish an exe each time I make changes to code, which is all of the time. I have a tool that does that automatically but still - I cannot use any debugging features then as well, sys_marker, error messages, nothing works.
The other big difficulty is the content creation still. Tried too much different stuff (gameplay wise, most stuff thus not polished enough), and some questionable (mostly old) level design means I have to redo many of them. Already cut down the number of levels gradually from 40 to 20 over the years.

Thank you for offering help with Unity. I had looked twice at it already for some days (first Unity, then Unreal, some time later Unity again).
The big communities and the documentations are huge pluses indeed.
However, I'm currently thinking about writing my own lightweight engine while working on game(s). DirectX 11, 64bit only, mostly C-style. Gonna start with that in March and see how it goes.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Re: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends [Re: Superku] #476390
02/22/19 02:28
02/22/19 02:28
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Hey Superku, well done! Seriously, very well done.

Had to come back to these forums when I saw you'd posted a trailer for this new game on YouTube grin

I remember your online skateboarding game, among other things, and have no doubt this'll be a great online experience.

Quote:
Superku, well... that's a sore point. I really don't know yet *if* it will be released, and when. Thinking about it regularly how I could salvage the project, we'll see. Luckily I could re-use menu, input, savegame, DLL and network code from Pogostuck for Superku.
I know that feeling. Good on you for taking a step back and completing another project.

All the best with the launch!

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends [Re: JibbSmart] #476403
02/22/19 16:46
02/22/19 16:46
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Thank you, Jibb! blush
Yeah the good old online skateboarding prototype probably is the cornerstone for my multiplayer games, at least as a spiritual prequel. :o) Same concept, you play together and compete in some way but not directly, you just share the time you have with the game with others.
I've tried PvP collisions for friends but sadly there's too much lag, feels super weird and off - I remember your struggles with the same issue with KarBOOM, there's only so much you can do.

Re: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends [Re: Superku] #476406
02/22/19 23:09
02/22/19 23:09
Germany
preacherX Offline
preacherX  Offline

Germany
It is really sad that A8 have such problems… Even my already published Debugger project have a rare bug (sometimes the screen is going to be black - but on some systems it is coming more frequently) and I never could find out what the problem is. I think that it could be also a problem with the engine. But, well, I'm also working on a new version of it - this time with Unity.

If you ever want to switch to Unity and need a helping hand for that start - just give me a call! wink And for now I'm excited to play Pogostuck next week! ^^

Re: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends [Re: preacherX] #476418
02/23/19 19:23
02/23/19 19:23
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Yeah, there's a few quirks here and there sadly. Some things might be DX9 though, you get a ton of similar results for some errors with other bigger titles as well. Not sure.

Good luck with your career with Unity!!

A clip from yesterday, took her 1.5h or so to get up there once: https://www.twitch.tv/saddummy/clip/ArbitraryAwkwardHeronDoritosChip

Re: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends [Re: Superku] #476434
02/25/19 15:20
02/25/19 15:20
Germany
preacherX Offline
preacherX  Offline

Germany
AWESOME!!! ^^ Really funny!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de