Hmm, on closer consideration I suspect that some of the suggested defense strategies aren't going to work. Especially since God and his lawyer learned to their dismay that the prosecution intends to present a thick evidence folder, called 'the bible' and containing witness accounts of many of God's crimes or complicity in crimes.

(1) - the O.J.Simpson Strategy ("I didn't do it") - probably will fail here. The bible evidence shows clearly that God repeatedly boasted about his absolute power and authority over men's lives, and did not hesitate to use this power for genocide, instigation of mass murder, and other purposes that are criminal by today's standards.

(3) - the Saddam Strategy ("this court has no power over me") won't work because international law gives the ICC power of judgment over all crimes against humanity that were referred to it by the UN security council. The UN SC routinely refers all cases of mass murder when they are not handled by a national court and the perp is not a US soldier. God's claim to be a US soldier would obviously fail, so his acts fall under the jurisdiction of the court.

(6) - claiming that he who gives life can also take it - won't work either. If a mother kills her child after having given birth, she'll be prosecuted. National and international law gives everyone the right to keep his own life regardless of who gave it to him. Do not forget that this was not a "deal", as you weren't asked whether you want life or not.

Quote:

If I was God, I could see destroying thousands in an earthquake just for rebellion and wickedness. I personally wonder why God hasn't destroyed us and this rotten planet thousands of years ago,

Maybe a successful defense strategy might be (2) - admitting the crime but excusing it with some particular reasons. However, it won't help a perp to claim that he killed people just "for rebellion and wickedness". Saddam also killed people for rebellion, but this didn't save him from the gallows. Besides, Portugal was one of the most devout Christian countries in 1755. The earthquake killed mostly Christians and destroyed all churches and religious institutions, while secular buildings sometimes were unharmed. Thus, I have the impression that maybe the Book of Job could give a hint of the perp's motives in this case.

BTW - God does not have to fear a lethal injection. The maximum penalty he has to face is life imprisonment. Most civilized nations have long ago abandoned the death penalty.