Quote:

That's exactly my point. I was talking about the illogic and unfairness of exactly this and you replied with a comment about the original sin. I don't understand why WE should receive the same punishment for something we didn't do! It was Adam, right? Well, why did God punish Eve too? Why did he punish us by making us mortal? It's not fair and it's based on illogic. That was my point.

I understand your point, the disobedience of eating an apple seems hardly worth the consequence of mortality for Adam and all his children. Im sure I couldnt change any minds about this seemingly unfair situation but let me at least explain the reasons why I accept it as fair punishment.

1)First of all fairness itself is relative.

If I was to say that it is a far trip to Europe from my house most people would agree, however, it is not very far at all compared to the distance to the sun from here. And even that distance is not far compared to the distance across our galaxy. And here I am not trying to compare "fairness" with "farness" but I am instead concentrating on the principle of relativity and frame of reference.

It could be said that farness(distance) doesnt even exist in the light of infinite space. So therefore we understand that the concept of distance has to have a frame of reference. You are comparing fairness merely by your own frame of reference. While God created us in His image, this does not mean to say that we share the same moral frame of reference. Sure eating an apple is no big sin if your using your own behavior as a frame of reference, but how would you have any concept of the "moral frame of reference" which God uses?

It is my belief that God is so perfect that any sin at all represents a complete perversion. The original garden of Eden was a Utopia based on perfection. Perfection is the default, original state of humanity. Therefore any infraction of that perfection is a complete failure.

As for why the punishment was passed down to all generations is simple. Sin brought the curse to Adam who was made of the dust of the earth, (a long explanation) but to make it short sin tainted the blood of Adam. Now that blood gets passed down to every child, therefore every child is born with the "infected" blood.

It is like Heaven is a great clean sterile room. While we might not see our sins as great, we also must realise that our virus would not be able to exist in the same heavenly atmosphere. This is the same reason why Moses had to hide his face from looking directly at a part of God. Our eyes are simply not powerful enough to look at the brightness of the sun. It is not that the sun is our enemy, its just much too bright and hot for us to come close to. I imagine that God is much like the sun in that respect.