On topic:
The lawyer that defends God, is he a Christian or atheist?

OT:
Quote:

What I'd really would like for someone to answer would be how NOT believing in god is actually healthier.

I think jcl is right, perhaps atheism isn't suited for everyone indeed. Some people need things they can attach to so they can live there life as a stronger person. e.a. people that tend to let fear influence a lot. Off course this is all simply a matter of mind, but it's probably also why people on either side believe in their things so hard.
Wanting to disprove God or no God is part of this, no doubt.

Infact, the temptation of simply believing in God because you will have peace of mind either way wether true or false is difficult to resist. Still, in my opinion there's a difference between excepting evidence and adjusting your view and simply sticking to your own ideas no matter what.
In a way I feel that's the difference between both, but that's a personal thing, since religious people tend to believe in their 'evidence'. Let's say we find enough (mostly physical) evidence to discredit christianity as a whole, what would the most likely reaction of christians be? My guess is, they will either try hard to ignore or disprove the authencity of that evidence or will simply say it's a trick of God, a test.

Having said that, I think it should be clear to all that doubt that you really have a choice when it comes to being religious or not, because infact 'we do not know'. (It's a whole different story when it comes to the historical value of the bible though there's already enough evidence to discredit a literal interpretation imho).

Quote:

Awkward enough, you rarely hear much discussing Islam, Buddhism, ect. Even those these religions are arguably as big as Christianity. Which makes me wonder, is it just that much easier to bash Christianity?

Although Islam claims it too, Christianity is one of the view religions actually claiming all sorts of things to have literally happened. But since Islam mostly is derived from or has copied parts of Christianity, people will try to discredit Christianity first. (Many Christians try to discredit the Islam though, just look at the many many Christian propaganda site about the 'stupid' Islam).

Buddhism and Hinduïsm do claim things but when it comes to myths and stories they tolerate as much as any view on them. They will never claim themselves that certain stories are untrue, but they won't care if you say that it's unlikely or probably false. It's mostly because of the general difference of approach towards their own religion, it's very unlike western religion. Normally you won't see Hindus or Buddhists trying to convert people (there are some nowadays, but that's a really modern thing), the Islam and Christianity will try though, hence the whole discussions. Don't forget that Christianity since it's the biggest religion at the moment also makes for an interesting target.

Quote:

Therefore, if they (they not being all atheists, just the activists) can convince people that God doesn't exist, then man becomes the ultimate authority and social progress can be made.

And what is wrong with social progress? Isn't the ultimate freedom and what many call the 'american' dream the result of social progress? Why not let everyone enjoy that freedom equally? I think God would agree since homosexuals for example can be christians too,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software